Home
Well, per the great advice as usual, I have decided to keep the rifle. My next question would be, what do you think about turning it into a 260 or Creed? I live in Middle Tn and don't think there are any Gunsmiths near me. Who would you recommend?
Prices seem OK, but I don't know your local market. If you have the factory stock for the Model 70 it could make for a quicker sale. The McMillan should sell quickly on it's own. Good luck!
I sold the factory stock, and the local market is just ok really. Once you start getting above $500, it's a hard sell
Going to be a bit harder to sell now that hunting season is winding down. A few months ago would have been the best time. It's a buyers market.
Originally Posted by Calvin
Going to be a bit harder to sell now that hunting season is winding down. A few months ago would have been the best time. It's a buyers market.

Maybe that's true up Alaskanistan.

In the lower 48 big game seasons, in many places run through January.
I agree with Calvin. If you're looking for a rifle in mid- November for a hunt this year, you're an idiot....

But there's a lot of then out there...
Rifles have been a TOUGH sell for the better part of a year.
Rifle season actually starts here this Saturday
Originally Posted by 16bore
Rifles have been a TOUGH sell for the better part of a year.

yep. definitely aint gonna get “as new” prices like these, unless the buyer aint quite savvy.
Sent you a pm
Your prices seem close ( maybe slightly high) but Rifles are a tough sell right now.....good luck......Hb
Originally Posted by Travis13
Ok guys, I have been bit by the lightweight bug and am gonna sell 2 rifles locally to help fund the project. Are these prices fair?? First up is a Mod 70 Extreme Weather (2011 model) in 7mm-08 wrapped up in a McM Edge and Talley LWs. Was thinking $1100. Next is an 8 twist T3x 22-250 with the extra mag. Thinking $650 on it. Gonna sell these for a Barrett Fieldcraft.

Think it over before selling to buy a new rifle.
There has been more than once in my life I sold a rifle or two to finance the latest dream rifle just to find out that the dream was better than the reality. The rifles you own are not going to be worth any less in a few months, buy the Barrett and if it is the dream rifle then sell the others.

Just a little advice from someone who has made that mistake before.

drover
Rifle season around here begins next Wednesday. Once it ends at the end of the month a lot of rifles go up for sale so the guys can buy Christmas presents. I'd put the factory stock back on it and try to sell it as the weather starts to warm in the spring. Credit cards will have been paid off by then.
As mentioned above, the rifle market has been soft most of this year. I have purchased several not-so-common left hand rifles in the past 6 months for less than what their right hand counterparts would have brought before the 2016 election.

I also agree with the sentiment above, if at all possible, buy the new one first, and then sell the old ones after you confirm the new one is a keeper. I realize that is not always financially possible. However, I can name two rifles off top of my head that I sold for the "next big thing". Still miss those rifles. But for the life of me, cannot remember what I bought with the proceeds... frown

Regardless of what I think, good luck with your sale !
Originally Posted by drover
Ok guys, I have been bit by the lightweight bug and am gonna sell 2 rifles locally to help fund the project. Are these prices fair?? First up is a Mod 70 Extreme Weather (2011 model) in 7mm-08 wrapped up in a McM Edge and Talley LWs. Was thinking $1100. Next is an 8 twist T3x 22-250 with the extra mag. Thinking $650 on it. Gonna sell these for a Barrett Fieldcraft.

Think it over before selling to buy a new rifle.
There has been more than once in my life I sold a rifle or two to finance the latest dream rifle just to find out that the dream was better than the reality. The rifles you own are not going to be worth any less in a few months, buy the Barrett and if it is the dream rifle then sell the others.

Just a little advice from someone who has made that mistake before.

drover

I have to agree.
I want a Barrett too but I love my Montana which is a good bit cheaper and I think a Tikka Superlight in 6.5 creed would be awesome as well.

I have a Forbes too and I would have to be lottery winner lucky to buy any light rifle that even shot as good as that Forbes.

Point being,there are bunches of really nice rifles and the Barrett might be one but you won't know if it fits your specific needs until you try it out. Always better to get rid of a rifle after you make sure you like another better.
Can't really see the gain with the Barrett and assuming it's a 6.5. That 7-08 rig sounds like a dang winner to me.
I have to agree with most of you, the Mod 70 is gonna be hard to let go. I have no ties to the Tikkas at all. Don't get me wrong, I love Tikkas, but the Mod 70 outclasses it by quite a bit imo.
If you're feeling Creedy, lay down until that feeling goes away. You should probably swap that M70 for my 7Mag. You really need it.
C'mon bore.. He's weak!
The Fieldcraft would be nice if I was 6'-5" or 5'-6" with Orangutan arms.
You are going to sell some nice riles. If they shoot good and you can afford the rifle you want use cash to buy it. Wait until the market is better or until you find someone who is wanting your rifles as bad as you want this new one.

The prize is what you shoot, not the rifle you use to shoot it with. I hunted this weekend with a friend who has only one rifle for the last 30 years. It was a a treasure. I don’t hear it talked about much on campfire - a 25-06. It always hits what he aims at and he is just fine with that.

Good luck with your purchase.
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by Calvin

Maybe that's true up Alaskanistan.

In the lower 48 big game seasons, in many places run through January.

Shoot there are guys chasing bears down Kodak right now.. big game season still going strong just getting a bit chilly.. far as the model 70 extreme weather it was made at the FN South Carolina plant too many that’s a big plus. Also providing groups shot by the 7-08 a big plus. I hate to say it a lot of guys don’t want to play the guessing game, so if the work been done far as load development it will sell..
PM coming...
I looked at having PacNor rebarrel an M70 at one point, I believe prices ran $600 - $700 total. I would definitely go for a 6.5 CM over a .260 for that project. My M70 EWs had fairly short mag boxes, I had to load several different bullets way off the lands in .308. The Creedmoor will give you more leeway for seating longer bullets in a short short action than the .260 will. Also, given that the performance is equal, but the market support for the 6.5 CM is so superior, it's hard to think of any reasons to opt for a .260 anymore.
Redneck, 2 posts up.
Lee AKA Redneck has done a couple for me. He's got a couple more in the door waiting on components to arrive to complete. Got my vote for your rebarrel project.
Can’t beat Lee on the M70.
+1 on Lee.
Well, per the great advice as usual, I have decided to keep the rifle. My next question would be, what do you think about turning it into a 260 or Creed?

Well, the Creed has many good qualities, but turning a 7-08 into a Creed for a hunting rifle seems to me like more of a step sideways than any real forward progress. With so many good factory rifles to choose from, If I wanted a Creed I'd just buy one.

For a lighter package, I'd consider a Montana. No matter how much you chop on a M70 it's about as light as it's gonna be, and won't be as light as the Montana out of the box.
Montana vs Fieldcraft would be the question then I guess
This thread did a sharp right turn a while back!!
I agree with boogaloo. I'd suggest that re-barelling would be a long walk for a short slide, in this instance.
Originally Posted by Boogaloo

For a lighter package, I'd consider a Montana. No matter how much you chop on a M70 it's about as light as it's gonna be, and won't be as light as the Montana out of the box.

Well, yeah, it's lighter - but then you'd have a Montana... THAT would be a 'step backwards', IMHO.. smile
Redneck seems to be the winchester guy around here. Id send him a PM
I'd get a hold of Redneck on this site. He does top notch work and he's a Winchester man.
He sure did some first class work for me!
© 24hourcampfire