Home
Posted By: Redhat CZ 557 Anyone Tested One? - 11/14/17
Hi all,

I wanted to know the member's thoughts on CZ's new 557 rifle. I haven't been able to find many reviews of this rifle...hHas anyone tried one out?

Is CZ making a mistake by phasing out the 550?
Posted By: JSTUART Re: CZ 557 Anyone Tested One? - 11/14/17
Originally Posted by Redhat
Hi all,

I wanted to know the member's thoughts on CZ's new 557 rifle. I haven't been able to find many reviews of this rifle...hHas anyone tried one out?

If CZ had any go in them at all they would reintroduce the ZG47, and include the ZKK pop-up rear peep in the receiver.

Man, I would jump at that.
Originally Posted by Redhat

Yes. It's burly as hell and an excellent choice for cartridges like the 9.3x62 where most folks don't want a lightweight.

Okie John
Posted By: 340boy Re: CZ 557 Anyone Tested One? - 11/14/17
No more 550s?say it ain't so!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: CZ 557 Anyone Tested One? - 11/14/17
John Haviland did a review in one of the Wolfe mags. The 557 has been around for a while, but I've never seen that they were going to discontinue the 550. The 557 was supposed to be at a better price point after the 550s started getting pretty expensive. I suppose it's a good push-feed, but I detest DMs for the most part.

There was a lot of pizzing and moaning when they stopped making FNs, but they can still be found, and newer shooters don't seem interested, so prices are reasonable.
Posted By: BWalker Re: CZ 557 Anyone Tested One? - 11/14/17
I handled a 557 at Scheels awhile back. Appeared to be very well built. The only negative thing I could say is the stock is pretty thick and clubby.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: CZ 557 Anyone Tested One? - 11/15/17
Haviland's wife commented that the test rifle was pretty heavy for a .308.

She should try my Hawkeye Predator! That one's a load, but I don't plan on toting it up any mountains.
Posted By: 340boy Re: CZ 557 Anyone Tested One? - 11/15/17
Originally Posted by BWalker
I The only negative thing I could say is the stock is pretty thick and clubby.

I felt the same way about my 550 American I purchased oh I don't know around 2006 maybe? It was a little thick and heavy, but boy would it shoot. Also, I have always been a sucker for a Mauser action.

© 24hourcampfire