Home
Which caliber would you choose for strictly Whitetail hunting in Tennessee? Looking on Barrett's site, I can't believe the awesome choices they chose with twist rates. Usually I would never consider a 243 or 22-250 but they are an option now. Plus, Barrett is 15min from my house, so that adds a little to the "want" factor.
I was happy with the performance my Barrett Swede and an Accubond gave me on a Tn 9 point this weekend.
Originally Posted by davidsapp
I was happy with the performance my Barrett Swede and an Accubond gave me on a Tn 9 point this weekend.

David,

Does the Barrett 6.5X55 Swede come in a long action? I'm thinking about getting one to replace my Tikka T3 and I couldn't find specifics on there web sight.

Travis,

I think that 9 twist 243 would be the shizz for whitetail

Or even a 6.5X55 swede 😁😎

Trystan
1:7 in 243
Uhhhhhh.... All of them! Even typical twist rates will kill with good bullets. Tighter twists just allow you to shoot heavier good bullets.
Yes, LA on the Swede. Very similar to my NULA 30/06, and a very enjoyable rifle to shoot in the Swede. The #2 contour 24” barrel balances very well.
Yes, LA on the Swede. Very similar to my NULA 30/06, and a very enjoyable rifle to shoot in the Swede. The #2 contour 24” barrel balances very well.

Thanks

Trystan

The 6.5 Swede is what tempts me the most ,but because I have an excellent 270 Forbes ,it both tempts me and is unnecessary at the same time. It would basically duplicate the Forbes,but then,it would basically duplicate the Forbes,if you know what I mean.
The 243 is calling my name
Any of them would be great for WT. Pick whichever turns your crank!
270 would be good
.270 or .25/06
I do like that the 25-06 has a 24" barrel
Does the 6mm Creed get any love?
Originally Posted by Travis13
The 243 is calling my name

Lots of folks seem to be enamoured with a fast twist 243 though I've never had the privilege of owning one

Trystan
I do like that the 25-06 has a 24" barrel

Sounds like a winner to me!
243 or 6 Creed
The 6.5 creed has awesome factory ammo available and 21"
Barrel. Sweed if you reload, want a long action and a 24" barrel.
Good olde 308. Trendy 6.5s won't dead'em deader.
6.5x55
Swede would be my pick. Cut to 22", that #2 contour would be nice.
I'm 7 minutes from the Outpost Armory. Been there several times in past few weeks fondling Fieldcrafts.

The 18-in 6.5 Creedmoor is the perfect Volunteer State game game, especially in thick woods or snaking out a vehicle window on your own property.

It seems to me a modern version of th MS 6.5 w more speed and can kill anything in Tennessee and the rest of continent just like the older round.

The fact I can put the Harvester on it when I like is huge bonus.

Anybody need a cherry 1984 SPAS-12 to help scratch this itch? smile

Im with superb good old 308
Originally Posted by SuperCub

But they will kill them just as dead with less recoil and a flatter trajectory.
From Barrett's page:

.243 Win - 1 in 7" (17.78 cm)
.22-250 Rem - 1 in 7" (17.78 cm)
6.5 Creed - 1 in 8" (20.32 cm)
6mm Creed - 1 in 7" (17.78 cm)
7mm-08 Rem - 1 in 8" (20.32 cm)
.308 Win - 1 in 10" (25.4 cm)

There isn't one that wouldn't work for deer. Middle of the pack with the 6.5 CM is a good place to be....still nothing wrong with the others. Nice when a manufacturer gets it right and all the choices are good ones.
Originally Posted by mathman

You're right! .......... The same was said about the 243 as well. smile
Originally Posted by mathman

Too lazy to run the numbers...what are the actual numbers 308/155 scenar vs Creed/147eld?
Effective BC in the high .400's at 2,850-2,900fps vs the nearly .700BC at speeds about 150-200fps less. I'd imagine the Scenar to shoot flatter and drift maybe a touch more out to 400-450yds , but lose the race after that.
The 6.5 Creed appears to be a really well balanced machine no matter the platform. Recoil, accuracy, BC, SD, twist rates, ammo choices, ect.

1 in 7 seems more than needed for a .243 unless your intent is 115's.
You could throw a dart at that chambering list and end up with a good choice.

Okie John
I would choose the 308 out of that group.

If you don't like recoil, then 243.

If you fancy yourself a long-range hunting sniper, then 6.5 Creedmoor.
If you fancy yourself simply a long-range sniper, then 6 Creedmoor.

If you desire a dual-purpose stunt shooter rig, then 22-250.

If you want the largest caliber but worship slick bullets, then 7-08.
Wonder if Big Stick is working with a Fieldcraft yet?
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Wonder if Big Stick is working with a Fieldcraft yet?

Yes, he's posted some vids on youtube
Locks to his Youtube
If you search "busheler" on youtube, you'll find the videos.
What scope is he using in the video?
SuperChicken 6xFF per always. I've been waiting for a 6 creed and just pulled the trigger on one.
Something bigger than a 22 hornet but then my friends neighbor kills them with a 22 Hornet, any other advice is superfluous.
22-250.

No brainer.

Travis
If I didnt have the T3 1:8, then the 250 would probably win
If I didnt have the T3 1:8, then the 250 would probably win

Same here. Fixin to take mine to local smith for trim and thread at 18- or 20-in.
how about the .25-06

-Jake
Okie and Dakota are right. All work. Pick a good bullet/load and place it well.

I love 6’s save bore life. 6.5 is my fave but again they all work so why beat yourself up with more recoil.
The 6.5x55 Swede Fieldcraft was my choice. I love the cartridge and rifle.
Duane
It would be hard to beat a plain old 270.
I'd go 6mm CM for the slightly better barrel life. If factory ammo was going to be used, probably .243. Would only go bigger if hunting where really big-bodied deer are common.

A review of a .308 mentioned that it was a little tricky off the bench.
RH, no flies on an accurate 270.
Pappy - better bore life in the 6 CM than 243? Perhaps a bit but those will be a good bit less than other larger calibers.
The 243 and whitetails just plain go together. As a matter of fact, I dumped two of them this weekend with my Ruger 243. I really cannot say that a 270/308/30-06 drops them any quicker, and a decent 6mm bullet has more than enough penetration.
© 24hourcampfire