Home
Posted By: Sixpack Shooting Rest - 12/11/17
I’m in the market for a new rest for shooting off the bench which mostly equates for sight in and a few sets of groups (don’t spend a lot of time at the bench after sighting). Also, it needs to be user friendly for my kids. Not looking for the best; would like something better than the Caldwell bags I have. What are you using?
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Shooting Rest - 12/11/17
A Harris S-BRM 6"-9" and a good rear bag is what I suggest.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Shooting Rest - 12/11/17
I use an 18 lb Hart Rest.

This is a good budget rest. I have one. This is the aluminum model. It’s nice.
http://www.bullets.com/products/Plain-Rest-Triangle-Aluminum/BE1128
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Shooting Rest - 12/11/17
Like you my benchrest shooting consists mainly of sighting in my hunting rifles and doing some load development work. I have been using a $19.99 Midway plastic rest. I have added protector leather front and rear bags, nothing fancy nor costly yet it gets the job done for me.
Posted By: boomer68 Re: Shooting Rest - 12/11/17
I use the Benchmaster rest.

https://benchmasterusa.com/
Posted By: las Re: Shooting Rest - 12/11/17
Whats wrong with the Caldwell bags?
Posted By: Redhat Re: Shooting Rest - 12/11/17
Right now I'm using a Caldwell Rock Jr, 'cause I got it on sale at Bass Pro. It's about as simple as I've seen and fairly cheap too.

My preference though is a set of sand bags
Posted By: lotech Re: Shooting Rest - 12/11/17
Hart pedestal (if it's still made) and Protektor bags.
Posted By: BradArnett Re: Shooting Rest - 12/11/17
My load work up is all shot prone with a small rear bag and up front is either a Harris bipod or the folding aluminum rest scenarshooter made and sent me a few years ago. Not sure if Pat sells them but they are slick.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Shooting Rest - 12/11/17
Caldwell Rock and replaced the bean bag with a Protektor leather one, then a Protekter leather rear bag. Bean bags suck and this set up will last a coupla lifetimes.
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Shooting Rest - 12/11/17
I just use the front bag:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/caldwe...TeqVB1Neuv582KvL7jtzcRMussRoCEqAQAvD_BwE
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Shooting Rest - 12/11/17
My rest top on a Caldwell base. I've been making replacement rest tops for 13 years and have about 1200 of them out.
[Linked Image]
This is on a Bald Eagle base.
[Linked Image]
You can put a Protector regular bag on it for your hunting rifle. Maybe a little over kill for playday at the range.
The Bald Eagle from bullets.com is a good unit if you disable the cable for windage. It is jerky.
www.shadetreeea.com
Posted By: RedRabbit Re: Shooting Rest - 12/11/17
I am using an older model of the Benchmaster Rest similar to what Boomer linked. I have replaced the front bag with a Protektor front bag, and have put some plastic card shims in the front channel between the two beams.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Shooting Rest - 12/11/17
I would say the Caldwell Lead Sled if you want it to be user friendly. Every pound that you put on the rest that the recoil needs to move is life putting it on the rifle and it sure takes the bite out of the recoil. The watch out is not using a wooden stock on a heavy recoiling rifle because you can crack the stock by using too much weight on that rest and nearly nothing moves. My grown up kids all borrow my rest because they all shoot magnums.
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: Shooting Rest - 12/11/17
Bipod and a small TAG rear bag off Mother Earth for “precision” work.

Caldwell Bull-Bag with the TAG off the hood.

SFT on the BogPod for called in coyotes and premeditated low-land big game murder.

I shoot off of the pack when I’m high....
Posted By: Sixpack Re: Shooting Rest - 12/12/17
Originally Posted by las
Whats wrong with the Caldwell bags?

Honestly, nothing. After reading all the replies I think I’m going to get a nice leather Protecktor rear rabbit ears bag and see how that does. Used a bipod for years and may be the simplest way with a good rear bag. Thanks for all the replies
Posted By: skeen Re: Shooting Rest - 12/12/17
My set up of choice. I honestly cannot imagine getting more solid a set up.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Shooting Rest - 12/12/17
Yabbut, can you use those bags to jack up your car to change a flat?
Posted By: roundoak Re: Shooting Rest - 12/12/17
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Yabbut, can you use those bags to jack up your car to change a flat?

You are going to have to post a pic of what you are talking about.
grin
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Shooting Rest - 12/12/17
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tracks Re: Shooting Rest - 12/12/17
Originally Posted by skeen
My set up of choice. I honestly cannot imagine getting more solid a set up.

[Linked Image]

This !!!
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Shooting Rest - 12/12/17
[Linked Image]

Love it!

P
Posted By: dave284 Re: Shooting Rest - 12/12/17
Originally Posted by 16bore
Caldwell Rock and replaced the bean bag with a Protektor leather one, then a Protekter leather rear bag. Bean bags suck and this set up will last a coupla lifetimes.

+1
Posted By: keith Re: Shooting Rest - 12/12/17
Originally Posted by wareagle700
A Harris S-BRM 6"-9" and a good rear bag is what I suggest.

too tall for kids and alot of adults, and if you are shooting slightly down hill at 100, you will need a 3/4" spacer under the rear bag.

I think that they make a shorter model for tables.
Originally Posted by 16bore

Best option, I had to remove the wheel on mine because it was too tall.

If you can go on benchrest central or accurateshooter and put up a want to buy on a used Hart or Sinclair rest, you will be very happy with the purchase and pass it down to your kids.

Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Shooting Rest - 12/12/17
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
[Linked Image]

Love it!

P

Yep
Posted By: Reyn Re: Shooting Rest - 12/12/17
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Like you my benchrest shooting consists mainly of sighting in my hunting rifles and doing some load development work. I have been using a $19.99 Midway plastic rest. I have added protector leather front and rear bags, nothing fancy nor costly yet it gets the job done for me.

I have a plastic MTM rest that I have shot MOA groups out to 240yds. It seems steady when I am shooting off of it but I sometimes wonder if I could do better and how much better with a different set up. I almost bought a Bald Eagle rest the other day and was thinking about a Bullsbag but I generally shoot factory ammo so if I'm not going all out with reloading too, I don't know if the cost is justified.My bench is solid and to help I even ratchet strap the rest itself to the bench.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Shooting Rest - 12/13/17
use a winch.....
© 24hourcampfire