Home
Posted By: valad Tikka stock is not free floating - 12/16/17
My Tikka stock is not free floating. Has anyone removed anything from the stock...this is a plastic stock.
When I got it I shot a box of factory ammo through it and now I want to reload those with those empty brass.
But wondering with this 223Rem...should I attempt to remove material to get it free floated??
How does it shoot?
Mine wasn't either. You can free float it fairly easily.

Is it in stock correctly ?

sometimes they are properly seated in stock.......

hold your hands over action & mid barrel length.......

rock it into place to seat recoil lug.in stock.......
All the t3 lites have a speedbump a few inches ahead of the receiver. I’ve removed them on all of mine, as well as used a few replacement stocks from B&C to manners, in which the barrels were fully floated. Mine have all shot as well or better after floating.

That’s not to say yours may shoot great as issued though. If it ain’t broke..
I just thought Tikka rifles were free float out the box.One reason why they are accurate.
Mine shot factory ammo (Winchester white box 40gr if I remember correctly) between 1" to 1.5" but I got this ammo primarily to shoot the schit up and then reload with better bullets like vmax and NBT.
So I am going to reload for this but meanwhile I thought if it should be free float then I need to give this attention.
I might as well remove the stock from this Tikka and check underneath.
What is the torque specs for the Tikka rifles?

(I am going to have to buy a torgue wrench because the scope on my son's 308W moved when I put another scope on it. I always go for as light of a torque as I can but...)
I did not know these Tikka would have speed bumps ahead of the receiver. I will go ahead and load for this and see how it shoots before considering removing the speed bumps...
Originally Posted by valad
I did not know these Tikka would have speed bumps ahead of the receiver. I will go ahead and load for this and see how it shoots before considering removing the speed bumps...

I think you should. People are getting phenomenal results with them just as they are.
Torque specs for action screws for my Tikka T3x are 44 in-lbs for the plastic bottom and 62 in-lbs for the metal bottom.
I've yet to have or see a rifle with a free floating stock.
There are two points of contact in front of the action. They are part of the structural design of the stock. Out of the box Tikka's are hard to beat no matter what bedding style you compare them to. Just think of them as half priced Sako's with the ejector in the right place..
Load and shoot, doesn't get any easier.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Torque specs for action screws for my Tikka T3x are 44 in-lbs for the plastic bottom and 62 in-lbs for the metal bottom.

I thought they were 62 in-lbs across the board? I just bought a new T3x Lite SS in 7RM and only saw 62 in the book???
Just shoot more better.
Originally Posted by Alex38
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

I thought they were 62 in-lbs across the board? I just bought a new T3x Lite SS in 7RM and only saw 62 in the book???

Top of page 13 in the manual. There’s a separate section for the TAC model right underneath that calls for 62 for all.
Originally Posted by valad
My Tikka stock is not free floating. Has anyone removed anything from the stock...this is a plastic stock.
When I got it I shot a box of factory ammo through it and now I want to reload those with those empty brass.
But wondering with this 223Rem...should I attempt to remove material to get it free floated??

I know a few who have removed the factory bumps that Tikka put there. Most of the time it turned there tack driver into an average shooter so I don't recommend it. Tikka CNC machines there stocks to a precise fit including the part that is meant to touch the barrel. Every Tikka I have owned touches at the same point and then is free floated from that point forward

Trystan
Originally Posted by Trystan
Tikka CNC machines there stocks to a precise fit including the part that is meant to touch the barrel. Every Tikka I have owned touches at the same point and then is free floated from that point forward

Trystan

Tikka machines their stocks?? You learn something new every day I guess.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Tikka CNC machines there stocks to a precise fit including the part that is meant to touch the barrel. Every Tikka I have owned touches at the same point and then is free floated from that point forward

Trystan

Only the part of the stock that the action drops into to be more accurate with my statement

Trystan

Only the part of the stock that the action drops into to be more accurate with my statement

Trystan

Is that the same as "the part that touches the barrel?"
Do they machine in those casting marks?
I’ve got a T3 223 is yours the 1/8 twist? If so try some heavier bullets. Only owned two Tikkas but each shot great right out of the box just like all the others you can read about here. I wouldn’t bubba up the stock myself.
I have had a T3 in 308 and now a T3x in 30-06, both have pressure points on the shank and both were /are the best shooting rifles I have ever owned.Do not screw with the inletting would be my best advice.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've yet to have or see a rifle with a free floating stock.

Ha Ha, ya a free floating stock would certainly have bedding issue's?

A free floating barrel on the other hand is usually a good thing! wink
Shoot it some more first.

Not a scientific evaluation, just a recent experience:

I have a 30-06 T3 in a replacement walnut stock. It is bedded from the recoil lug to under the chamber and left it floating the rest of the way. It put it's favorite load of 165 SGKs into an inch at 200 yards (3 shot group) a couple of times and nothing over two inches, with that load, that day.

The same day I brought my recently aqquired a T3 6.5x55 in the standard synthetic stock, unaltered. Tried some Federal Fusion 140's just to see what they would do. At 200 yards they put three shots into one inch after adjusting the scope. I also tried some loads of 140 Partitions over RL22 that shot well in my old 96 Mauser. They went into a inch as well, like the Federals.

Since this all happened on the same day, it may be a fluke. I should try five and ten shot groups. Still, I have never found the unmolested synthetic stock to cause any issues.
Originally Posted by smokepole

Trystan

Trystan

Damnedest fugging thing I've ever seen posted here. Hollleeeee chit I gotta check mine out for them CNC tracks.
Laughing...
LAFFIN
My as from the factory T3 Lite SS 6.5x55 shot all my work up loads under and inch and several under 1/2 inch.
© 24hourcampfire