Home
Posted By: RGK The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/20/17
Like a lot of folks here, I have a soft spot for Remington 760/7600 pumps. Being left-handed doesn't hurt. I've owned a few, but I think the Remingtons don't get much respect. They'll never be a Dakota 76 or a Cooper with a nice piece of Circassian walnut, but they do grow on you. The one below (a 7600 in .30-06) has been with me for awhile; it's on its second barrel and stock and groups almost as well as a bolt rifle. Safety was reversed and the trigger was tuned in the Rem custom shop (when they still did that stuff). I added a Zeiss 4X Conquest in Leupold rings and base (rings were lapped slightly) and I'm good to go for most anything I could be looking for afield. I bought it in the FT Bragg PX years ago for $115.00. It's probably my favorite rifle.

One thing I never cared for was the impressed checkering. I finally fixed that last year and had someone re-cut the stamped checkering by hand; now it looks pretty good and the checkering actually works as intended. Not a custom rifle, but custom-tuned, I guess.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Close-up of the recut (22 lpi) checkering
[Linked Image]

Top group was fired with 150 grain Fusion. Bottom, some LC GI Match loaded with 168 grain hollowpoints. Not bad.
[Linked Image]
Thats cool!

Never heard of anyone shooting out the barrel on one of those!
Posted By: RGK Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/20/17
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Thats cool!

Never heard of anyone shooting out the barrel on one of those!

Interesting story on that, Jim. When I bought this, I was assigned to the 82nd Abn Div scout/sniper program years ago. We trained infantrymen to shoot M-1 Garands (pulled out of mothballs) to hit targets out to 500 meters (they all had Weaver K4 scopes mounted in a side mount). I bought this rifle because we literally had a tractor trailer rig full of LC match and ball at our disposal to shoot up. After the students were gone, we daily shot a couple of hundred rounds (or more) for fun. My rifle had over 18,000 rds through it when I sent it back to Remington. They re-barreled it, fitted a new buttstock (it had several cracks), tuned/rebuilt the trigger and reversed the safety in the custom shop for free. When I contacted them about a rebuild, they told me I had the record for number of rounds fired through a Remington pump. They were very interested in examining my barrel. I kept a log of the number of rounds fired during that period.
Bob
I picked up a nice Model Six not long ago in trade. Not sure what I need it for or if I'll keep it, but it does kinda grow on you. I remounted the vintage Redfield in Burris rings and the same base you have. Puts my eye right behind the scope as opposed to the chin weld I had with the see-throughs it came with.
Cool!!!
Posted By: SKane Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/20/17
Originally Posted by RGK

My rifle had over 18,000 rds through it when I sent it back to Remington.

That's impressive as heck. Not much one can't do with that rifle.
I've never owned one, but many people in my deer camp do.

My dad has shot around 40 deer with his probably, and he swears by it. Although as he ages he says it's starting to feel a little heavy to him.

He is extremely proficient with it.

-Jake
This Remington is going to be with me on the annual 24 Hour Campfire pig hunt next March. Should be a killing machine.
Bob
Posted By: JDK Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/20/17
Very nice
That's a beautiful rifle Bob. I'd like to take a look at it at the pig hunt.
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
That's a beautiful rifle Bob. I'd like to take a look at it at the pig hunt.

Roger that. What's neat is that the recut checkering came out so well that I'm considering having an older 1100 Rem redone, also. It looks like the laser-cut checkering that's coming out of the Rem custom shop now.
Bob
Posted By: stiab Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/20/17
I think they are great rifles and have owned a few, but only one at this time, a 760 .30-06 carbine. I'm going to hijack long enough to ask a question of those that might know: why did Remington not but factory sling swivel studs in these rifles when they were obviously to be used for hunting?
Posted By: jwall Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/20/17
Man, you did all that for an 'obsolete' cartridge ? whistle
grin

The CUT checkering does look good. I never liked the
Pressed Basket Weave style either.

Jerry
Originally Posted by jwall
Man, you did all that for an 'obsolete' cartridge ? whistle
grin

The CUT checkering does look good. I never liked the
Pressed Basket Weave style either.

Jerry

The 760 BDLs with the basket weave "checkering" are my favorite style of the 760/7600/SIX pump gun.
Very cool thanks for sharing this with us, 18,000+ rounds is no joke..........
Remington Model 760 the rifle the Benoit clan has used to kill truckloads of deer.
I too have a fondness for 760's and 7600's and have owned several of each over the years. My biggest regret was letting a 7600 35 Whelen go. The latest acquisition (an early Christmas present from my youngest son) is a MINT condition 7600 embellished receiver 30-06 Carbine which I never knew Remington produced. The ones I've had were all great accuracy wise.

I like the checkering upgrade on yours.
Posted By: TomM1 Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/20/17
Being somewhat handy with a checkering tool, I thought about doing that with my 760, but it has sentimental value so will leave as is for the memories. Very nice set-up though, probably one of the most tasteful mods Ive seen on a Remmy pump.
I've had five or six myself through the years and really like these rifles. 18K rounds is a mind blower!
Nice pump! cool smile
Posted By: LNF150 Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/20/17
Very cool pictures. Your target tells the exact truth of what those guns are all about.

My first h.p. was a 760, had it 25 years. That gun smote a bunch of Ks whitetail.
It too was 'almost as accurate as a bolt' with factory rounds. Tuning it with reloads and shooting off a bag made that gun very impressive.

Thank you for the trip down memory lane.
Very nice. I too like the re-done checkering. I've had several 760/7600s over the years right from a 760 in 223 right up to 4 7600 35Whelens and everything else in between. Currently down to a 308 Carbine and a 30-06 soon to be 20" with a Williams FP installed.

One thing ..... You should consider replacing the front swivel with a barrel band swivel stud. They are a bit more on the sturdy side and enable you to move the sling farther away from the slide.
Posted By: Reyn Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/21/17
Were there any significant changes between models 6,760,7600? I'm gonna end up with one eventually. Always liked them, especially a carbine model.
are the newer/current production 7600 guns as of the same quality as the older units? specifically in accuracy,fit and finish etc. i like the look of the 30-06 carbine personally.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/21/17
Originally Posted by RGK
This Remington is going to be with me on the annual 24 Hour Campfire pig hunt next March. Should be a killing machine.
Bob

I'll take that as confirmation you're going........
I'll have to dig something up to bring for the retired guy!
I’m no Remington fan, but I had one of these in .308 that was certainly a fine rifle.

Great story RGK!
Originally Posted by Reyn
Were there any significant changes between models 6,760,7600? I'm gonna end up with one eventually. Always liked them, especially a carbine model.

760s came first. About 1980, the Model Six came out with a 4-lug bolt instead of the multi-lug (9 lugs I think),"artillery style" of the 760, and the return of the cartridge head embedded in the bottom of the receiver extension on the bottom, a classy touch. The 7600 is basically the Model Six, so far as I know. There have been numerous stock styles, checkering types, etc. One of the more radical versions was the 760 BDL with the stepped receiver and basket-weave checkering.

I was never a big fan, but for some reason the Model Six struck a cord with me when it came out. I've been kinda-sorta looking for a nice one over the years, and when I had the chance to trade for a nice one, I jumped. Swapped the mounts and sighted it in with my standard '06 deer load, a 150gr NP over 46gr of H4895. Might make it into the field for the last four days of doe season. Might sell it when I'm through; might not.
To All,

At one time or another, I've owned a 760 in every caliber ever made except the .257 Roberts & the VERY RARE 7x57mm.
(the 7x57 was NEVER sold in the USA & FEW were made, like <50 pieces.).

The two 760s that are "priceless" to me are my JUL1954 "corncob rifle" in .300 SAV and my treasured 9.3x62mm that JES converted for me from a (1969 made) .30-06 BDL.
(Otoh, my "most used" 760 is my quite "plain Jane", iron-sighted, Model 760 in .30-06, as it lives behind the seat of my PU & is easy to reach for in any number of circumstances.)

Btw, I have a MINT condition, factory-engraved, Model 7400 in .243WCF, that I would trade for a Model 760 in .257 Roberts.

yours, tex
My neighbor always used a 760/308. One day he showed me a 1 hole 1.25 " group. Claimed it was 15 shots @ 100 yds. Pretty impressive.
Pappy I bought a model 6 in 1980. it was a little more expensive because of the stock and it was a real good shooter. I think I paid around 279 for it.
Great rifle RGK.

I’ve got a 7600 Whelen that is just as accurate as my 700 Whelen.
I had a 760 in .35 Rem. and sold it cry to fund something else. My Dad has 7600 in .270 that shoots 150g W+W Power Point into 3/4" at 100 yards.
I have one of the stepped receiver 760's.
What was the point? I have not seen many,
and always wondered about it.

Mine was bought only because it was cheap. Never liked pumps, or 30-06.
Once I had it, I felt I should use it, just to try and understand the hype.
Dam thing is around moa for three shot groups, with a load chosen for leftover bullets,
because I had a dipper that worked with 4831, and half fast effort loading.

Has put several deer in the freezer. A good hunting gun.

Still don't like pumps.
Noisy, bad o-ring, I know.
Heavy

But, I now understand they are much better than I ever thought.
Posted By: Brad Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/21/17
Great story!

I've always had a soft spot for the Amish Machine-gun....
18,000 rounds = impressive!!! How well did it shoot when you sent it back for a re-barrel?
Posted By: tzone Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/21/17
You're prechin to the choir! I love them. Have a few maybe myself.
Very cool story and a great looking rifle. I'm RH and both my boys are LF. May need to looking into picking one of these up for us to share and to be old school cool.
If a guy is use to a M12, M870... one of those 760/7600's is real fast for a follow up shot. I had one in a .257 Roberts because I hadn't seen too many of those. The guys with the pump '06's said that they recoiled more than they liked, but that Roberts was sure a pussy cat. I've read that the Remington pumps are very accurate and mine was no exception, but the slide rattled more than I liked so I sold it. If that receiver is built like the semi-auto 742 and I think that it is, that breech bolt works on those guide rails like a milling machine and when they are worn, the rifle is disposable. 18,000 rounds is quite a testimonial because Remington marketed those rifles to the several shot a year deer hunter.
Windfall,

There is a less than 6-buck part available to STOP the "rattle".

yours, tex
18k shots

I don’t think I have shot that much my whole life. Congrats
Originally Posted by Windfall
If a guy is use to a M12, M870... one of those 760/7600's is real fast for a follow up shot. I had one in a .257 Roberts because I hadn't seen too many of those. The guys with the pump '06's said that they recoiled more than they liked, but that Roberts was sure a pussy cat. I've read that the Remington pumps are very accurate and mine was no exception, but the slide rattled more than I liked so I sold it. If that receiver is built like the semi-auto 742 and I think that it is, that breech bolt works on those guide rails like a milling machine and when they are worn, the rifle is disposable. 18,000 rounds is quite a testimonial because Remington marketed those rifles to the several shot a year deer hunter.

The 760 and 742 series "receivers" are more on the order of "bolt carriers", as the bolt locks into a barrel extension, not into the "receiver". Since a human can't cycle the pump action 760 series as fast or with the violent slamming of the 740/742 series, I don't think that it would be possible to damage the guide rails. Ahlman's in Morristown, MN, offers a service to rebuild 740/742 series rifles from gas operated semi-automatics into pump action 742/760 hybrids. The guide rails in the 742 series receivers aren't very robust and they don't wear out so much as they get damaged, dented and/or chipped, when the bolt jumps the rails. Once the guide rails are damaged, the rifle will seldom operate in a consistently reliable manner ever again.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I have one of the stepped receiver 760's.
What was the point? I have not seen many,
and always wondered about it.

Mine was bought only because it was cheap. Never liked pumps, or 30-06.
Once I had it, I felt I should use it, just to try and understand the hype.
Dam thing is around moa for three shot groups, with a load chosen for leftover bullets,
because I had a dipper that worked with 4831, and half fast effort loading.

Has put several deer in the freezer. A good hunting gun.

Still don't like pumps.
Noisy, bad o-ring, I know.
Heavy

But, I now understand they are much better than I ever thought.

The stepped receivers were only offered on the 760 BDLs that came with the basket-weave style "checkering" and were made from 1965/66 thru 1980(?) in 270, 308, and 30-06. I like that variation because it has the raised cheekpiece that I prefer.
Posted By: jwall Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/21/17
Originally Posted by TOPCATHR
Pappy I bought a model 6 in 1980. it was a little more expensive because of the stock and it was a real good shooter. I think I paid around 279 for it.

A 'minor' correction.

The Model Six was introduced in 1981. I still have the Remington 'catalog' of 1981 introducing them.

No biggie. I have pix in photoPUKIT but I can't post them.

Jerry
Posted By: RGK Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/21/17
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
18,000 rounds = impressive!!! How well did it shoot when you sent it back for a re-barrel?

It was grouping around 3.5" to 4" and in pretty sorry shape when I sent it back (when I got it, it would hold an inch to 1.5" with GI LC match) . The buttstock was cracked in 3 places and the trigger group was broken (the hammer would follow down about 50% of the time). I REALLY used this rifle, though, mostly shooting 5-shot rapid-fire groups at 200 yds from the sit. It would easily group into the 10 ring on a 200 yd rapid fire target when new. I had a Lyman All-American 4X on it then.

Before I sent it in to Rem I asked about a rebarrel price (I was just a poor E-5 paratrooper with only one rifle). Rem responded by inquiring about what was wrong, guessing maybe it was not grouping. Their response to my telling them about the number of rounds fired was "please send it in". Probably 25% of the rifling was gone, from the chamber forward. No pitting, just smooth. It was literally getting shot 4-5 days a week, mostly in rapid fire strings. I usually didn't bother to clean it but once a week (probably after about 200 rds), so it wasn't treated like a bench-rest rifle.

Remington said they loved my "torture test" and rebuilt my 7600 for free. The new barrel is very accurate (no more rapid fire strings) and the buttstock they put on is a nice piece of lumber. I also sent the Lyman 4X back; Lyman wanted the scope, so they sent me a brand-new All American.

I like the Zeiss 4X I just put on it. My 7600 is now relegated to mellow bench sessions (I let the barrel cool between shots) and easy hunting trips. It's been thru hell and back and is enjoying its 2nd life as an occasional hunting rifle. Once in awhile I'll still let loose with a five-shot string at a metal gong at 200 yrds though, just for old-times sake. I'll be riding into my twilight years with this Remington next to me.
Bob
RGK,

My GUESS is that Remington was REALLY impressed with the "torture test" that you put the 760 through.

Fwiw, I once sent a Remington Nylon66 in with a letter of explanation that the rifle was "kicked into a campfire by a drunk at our lease" (NOT what you would call "fair wear & tear" by any means) & asking them to repair the .22 rifle if they could & to send me a bill.
About 2 weeks later, I received an identical but NEW rifle, with note that apologized for NOT repairing the rifle AND an invoice marked "NO CHARGE".
(And anyone wonders why I like Remington & own about a dozen of their firearms??)

yours, tex
Posted By: jwall Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/22/17
My Dad had a 1960 Vintage 760 in 30-06. I was @ 10 y o so it was ingrained in me.

I've owned 2 , 760s. 1 in 270 Win, the other was a 35 Rem I had re chambered to 35 Whelen (wish I'd kept it ! ! )

All the rest of my pumps were/are Model Sixes.
I let a good shooting 06 get away from me - dumb dumb
1 have 2 in 270 Win / 1 of which my Son is inheriting.
I have 1 in 6mm Rem
I REPLACED the 30-06 a couple yrs ago. Killed deer w/it last yr.

I never owned a 7600.

The Model Six has all the features I like/prefer.

Larger Lugs on bolt.
Cone shaped fore end.
Cut line checkering.
Small dia. pistol grip
Cartridge head embedded in receiver.

The M Six is the Holy Grail of the pumps TO ME.

Jerry
Posted By: DMc Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/22/17
Looks great! Love the re-cut checkering.

DMc
Posted By: joken2 Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/22/17

The one and only 7600, I've owned, a 30/06, must have been a rare lemon. Bought it brand new in box back in the mid-'80s. For some reason it shot so far to one side that I wound up having to move both front and rear sights almost as far as they would go to get it shoot to POA. Also, the butt stock was too narrow in width making recoil feel like a sharp karate chop. Shooting factory 180 gr. it was the hardest felt recoil of any rifle I can recall ever shooting, before or since. Have never regretted getting rid of it. Did manage to kill one deer with it first, though.

As always, YMMV.
joken2,

The 7600, imo, is a FAR poorer quality rifle than the Model 760 that it replaced. = Find yourself a 760 that was made in the 1950s or early 1960s & you'll likely become a 760 "addict", too.

My newest 760 is a 1969 model that JES completely remodeled for me into a 9.3x62mm dangerous game rifle. - It's a RARE GEM of a hunting rifle.

yours, tex
Originally Posted by satx78247
joken2,

The 7600, imo, is a FAR poorer quality rifle than the Model 760 that it replaced. = Find yourself a 760 that was made in the 1950s or early n1960s & you'll likely become a 760 "addict", too.

My newest 760 is a 1969 model that JES completely remodeled for me.
yours, tex

That's your opinion and it is FAR different than mine.

WHY did JES remodel your 760 ? ?

Jerry
jwall,

YES, it is my opinion. - "Your mileage may vary".

As my grandfather used to say, "Differing opinions is what causes horse-races."

JES remodeled my 1969 760 because I desired a dangerous game rifle AND I didn't need yet another .30-06, so I had it remodeled into a 9.3x62mm.

I'm, likely in the next 90 days, going to send Jessie yet another long-action 760 to remodel into a .401 Brown-Whelen Improved.

yours, tex
Just sent off a 7600 to JES this week (the cause of the 'shipping with UPS' thread) to become a 338 Fed.
He's done many Rems and Savages for me.
Posted By: jt402 Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/22/17
The only 760 that I ever had was a .223 that shot bug holes with factory ammo. Problem was that it was kind of beat up, not nice enough so I sold it. I sure regret doing that.

Jack
Posted By: CRS Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/22/17
Very nice, 18,000 rounds fired is crazy!

My Dad has used a 760 he bought in 1972. He shoots left handed and did the safety switch on his too. Used it to shoot two deer this last season at 79 years old.

I had a 30-06 rebored to 338-06 that he carried on a couple of elk hunts, but sold it when he could no longer handle the recoil. When he stated that his 270 was starting to kick too much, and thought he should buy a 7600 in 243. I just loaded up some milder rounds for him to use.

Love the idea of Remington pumps, but I am simply bolt action trash.
BlackFrog,

The next rifle that's headed out to Jessie is yet another .30-06, for which I paid 100 bucks. - It was manufactured in 1965.

yours, tex
joken2,

The 7600, imo, is a FAR poorer quality rifle than the Model 760 that it replaced. = Find yourself a 760 that was made in the 1950s or early 1960s & you'll likely become a 760 "addict", too.

My newest 760 is a 1969 model that JES completely remodeled for me into a 9.3x62mm dangerous game rifle. - It's a RARE GEM of a hunting rifle.

yours, tex

Never noticed and I owned both. Some guys just naturally believe whatever they like is superior to anything else.
jwall,

YES, it is my opinion. - "Your mileage may vary".

As my grandfather used to say, "Differing opinions is what causes horse-races."

JES remodeled my 1969 760 because I desired a dangerous game rifle AND I didn't need yet another .30-06, so I had it remodeled into a 9.3x62mm.

I'm, likely in the next 90 days, going to send Jessie yet another long-action 760 to remodel into a .401 Brown-Whelen Improved.

yours, tex

Could tell us more about your 9.3x62 760 conversion?

I currently find myself with 6 Remington pump guns in 30-06, 5 760s and a 7600, and would be interested in having JES convert one of them to 9.3x62.

I have 2 questions, but you probably have several answers. My 2 questions are:

1. Did you have to modify the magazine to feed the 9.3x62 smoothly?
2. Does magazine length cause any COAL problems with the 286 grain bullets that are common/popular for use in the 9.3x62?
jwall,
I'm, likely in the next 90 days, going to send Jessie yet [/b]another long-action 760 [b]to remodel into a .401 Brown-Whelen Improved.

yours, tex

ummm, can you explain that, "long action 760" ?

ALL of the pumps have the SAME length action bars and the pump cycle is the SAME as well.
243---30-06 NO difference.

Not my opinion.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Mike74

Never noticed and I owned both. Some guys just naturally believe whatever they like is superior to anything else.

Yep, I think you got it Mike !

Jerry
260Remguy,

The answers are as follows:
1. The 760, rebored/rechambered feeds 9.3x62mm factory or GCCB smooth as glass in my experience.
and
2. NO problem with COL using the factory 232 "Oryx" to 286 grain JHP/JSP/solids.

Jessie knows what he's about, his price is reasonable & his work is flawless, imo,

yours, tex
jwall; Mike74,

Pardon me for pointing out that REMINGTON's own factory literature describes LONG & SHORT actions, though both receivers are approximately 8.25 inches in length.
(I know that, as I just measured my .30-06 & my .300 Savage receivers.)

Are the so-called "stepped actions" also 8.25" long??

Btw, at one time or another, I've owned several rifles that were Model 7600 & I regard them as inferior to my "old school" 760s in quality. = Over the last 1/2 century at least a dozen of each.
(My beloved "adopted" my last "new school" Model 7615P carbine & LOVES it. Darla says, "It's just my size". =====> Do NOT consider standing 200+M downrange from her, as you would soon appear to have as many holes as a Swiss cheese. - She shoots that little 5.56mm WELL.)

yours, tex
260Remguy,

The answers are as follows:
1. The 760, rebored/rechambered feeds 9.3x62mm factory or GCCB smooth as glass in my experience.
and
2. NO problem with COL using the factory 232 "Oryx" to 286 grain JHP/JSP/solids.

Jessie knows what he's about, his price is reasonable & his work is flawless, imo,

yours, tex

Thanks for your reply. I have a mannlicher stocked Interarms Mark X in 9.3x62, via a Lothar Walther barrel, and didn't want to have to load differently for a 760 conversion.

Do you have any experience with the 250 grain AB?
The actual difference is in the 'design' of the magazines (clips). The OAL length of the mags are the same, the receivers are the same, the pump cycle is the same.

I have 1 in 6mm Rem and the design of the case requires the 'follower & probably lips of the magazine" to be diff.

I haven't compared but the mags for 243 & 308 'might' be interchangeable.

When the receivers / action bars / & cycle length are the SAME.... how is one Long Action and another Short Action?

I have the 1981 Rem catalog introducing the M Six & 7600 plus I have several Rem Owners Manuals for the various cartridges in M Sixes I have. I have never seen Rem refer to L A -- S A.

The following quote of mine is from P 5

"I've owned 2 , 760s. 1 in 270 Win, the other was a 35 Rem I had re chambered to 35 Whelen (wish I'd kept it ! ! )

All the rest of my pumps were/are Model Sixes.
I let a good shooting 06 get away from me - dumb dumb
1 have 2 in 270 Win / 1 of which my Son is inheriting.
I have 1 in 6mm Rem
I REPLACED the 30-06 a couple yrs ago. Killed deer w/it last yr.

*** I never owned a 7600.

The Model Six has all the features I like/prefer.

Larger Lugs on bolt.
Cone shaped fore end.
Cut line checkering.
Small dia. pistol grip
Cartridge head embedded in receiver.

The M Six is the Holy Grail of the pumps TO ME. "

I'd like to point out that the ONLY differences between the M Six & 7600 are cosmetic.

Jerry
260Remguy,

NOPE. Never had any experience whatever with that one. - I'm too cheap to use any but my own homebrew @ 270 grain GCCB (or my cousin's similar boolits) & seldom shoot anything else but cast in any of my rifles.

I'm planning a trip to southern Africa in the Fall of 2018 for Cape Buffalo & (hopefully) a leopard & will buy "factory ammo" for that trip.

yours, tex
jwall,

The 6mm Remington & .244 Remington magazines will interchange (as the cases are the same) but I don't think that any of the other magazines will fit the .244/6mm rifles.
(Btw, the FIRST pump-rifle that I bought in 1966 was in .244 REM for 60.oo in "as new condition". I ended up giving it to my niece, as she constantly asked to "borrow it".)

Fwiw, my 1954 Model 760 in .300 Savage will only work with magazines "marked" for that caliber for some odd reason or other. - The magazines for my .243 (which look the same) will NOT interchange & .300 SAV mags are rare/$$$$.
(I lucked out & located one on ebay for 30.oo & after I bought that one, the same seller emailed me & asked if I wanted 2 more at the same price. - I said, "YES".)

NOTE: My .300SAV will NOT accept "some" marked magazines, as I ordered a NOS 15 round "police magazine" that is marked ".300SAV" from George F. Cake Company of Dallas.
(That magazine DOES work in my cousin's .308, so it wasn't a total loss.)

YEP. The .243 & .308 magazines WILL interchange. = My cousin has used my .243 magazines in his .308.

yours, tex

We have a model 760 pump in 257 Roberts. We have 3 magazines for it one came with the rifle and says 257 Roberts.
You can load the over all length to 2.825 maybe a little more. One magazine says 243 and fits ok both of those magzines
have a filler that limits OAL to the 2.825, the third magazine say 6mm fits good and has no filler, can load bullets a lot
longer than the other 2. Don,t remember the exact length. I always load to 2.825 so I can use all 3 magazines. The 257 Roberts
magazine seems to load a little better, don,t know why. Very accurate, just as accurate as my model 70 in 257 Roberts.
GunTruck50,

And you actually HAVE a 760 in .257 Roberts?? = Fwiw, I've looked for one in at least acceptable condition for YEARS & YEARS. = LUCKY YOU, imo.

yours, tex
Originally Posted by RGK

It was grouping around 3.5" to 4" and in pretty sorry shape when I sent it back (when I got it, it would hold an inch to 1.5" with GI LC match) . The buttstock was cracked in 3 places and the trigger group was broken (the hammer would follow down about 50% of the time). I REALLY used this rifle, though, mostly shooting 5-shot rapid-fire groups at 200 yds from the sit. It would easily group into the 10 ring on a 200 yd rapid fire target when new. I had a Lyman All-American 4X on it then.

Before I sent it in to Rem I asked about a rebarrel price (I was just a poor E-5 paratrooper with only one rifle). Rem responded by inquiring about what was wrong, guessing maybe it was not grouping. Their response to my telling them about the number of rounds fired was "please send it in". Probably 25% of the rifling was gone, from the chamber forward. No pitting, just smooth. It was literally getting shot 4-5 days a week, mostly in rapid fire strings. I usually didn't bother to clean it but once a week (probably after about 200 rds), so it wasn't treated like a bench-rest rifle.

Remington said they loved my "torture test" and rebuilt my 7600 for free. The new barrel is very accurate (no more rapid fire strings) and the buttstock they put on is a nice piece of lumber. I also sent the Lyman 4X back; Lyman wanted the scope, so they sent me a brand-new All American.

I like the Zeiss 4X I just put on it. My 7600 is now relegated to mellow bench sessions (I let the barrel cool between shots) and easy hunting trips. It's been thru hell and back and is enjoying its 2nd life as an occasional hunting rifle. Once in awhile I'll still let loose with a five-shot string at a metal gong at 200 yrds though, just for old-times sake. I'll be riding into my twilight years with this Remington next to me.
Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the info. What a great story! Very impressive on the barrel wear. Also, it's nice to see the old rifle is still seeing some use.
Billy
Posted By: jwall Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/23/17
Originally Posted by GunTruck50

We have a model 760 pump in 257 Roberts. We have 3 magazines for it one came with the rifle and says 257 Roberts.

the third magazine say 6mm fits good and has no filler, can load bullets a lot longer than the other 2.

The 257 Roberts magazine seems to load a little better, don,t know why.

G T -

I don't know if you've checked but there is "little" difference in the cases of 257 R & 6 mm R.
The Rem magazine makers know exactly the specs for different cartridge FIT.

It does make a real difference. I have an Xtra 6mm R mag for mine. Haven't used it, but I have a spare.

Jerry
Originally Posted by BlackFrog
Just sent off a 7600 to JES this week (the cause of the 'shipping with UPS' thread) to become a 338 Fed.
He's done many Rems and Savages for me.

I was thinking about doing this too. I think I'd like the barrel cut to 20" too.

I have a 7600 30-06 Carbine now. I loaded it with 180 RN Hornadys. It seems lie the right load for this pump gun.

My son and I actually have a 257 Roberts 760 pump. I gave it to him but it,s still in my safe. The only change to it
is a different after market stock the previous own put on it. May have a pip sight. Shot it recently thru Chronograph
got 3008fps with 115gr Nosler partitions. Used to shoot IMR 4350 at 2925fps with same bullets.
18,000 TIMES?!?!?!?! That rifle doesn't even look like it has been fired 1x let alone 18KX's

You sir unequivocally have my complete envy. I have ALWAYS as long as I can remember wanted a 7600 but when this year I finally decided to buy, examples equal to or approaching the condition of yours are running $800 or more. One with your custom touches would certainly command an even higher price if not much higher. Considering I already have a safe full of rifles and sons wanting their own rifles, I simply couldn't justify the expense on a pure want of s firearm purchase.

Your 7600 fills me with but to emotions: LUST and ENVY.
I like this one. 760 carbine 308 that I killed my first buck with in 1985.
Still the only Remington rifle I own.
Just mounted a 2.5-8x36 VX-3 on it today.

Attached picture 760.jpg
Posted By: 117LBS Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/24/17
I'd like one in 9.3x62....just cuz
They have .35 Whelens, so why not a 9.3X62? Sounds like a good plan!

-Jake
117LBS; Bocajnala,

Fwiw, IF you have JES convert a Model 760 to 9.3x62mm, you'll NEVER let it go. = MY 760 with a 2.5X Leopold is PRICELESS.
(At 200M with 286 grain Privi Partizan ammo, it will make a BIG/ragged hole, if I do my part.)

yours, tex
117LBS; Bocajnala,

Fwiw, IF you have JES convert a Model 760 to 9.3x62mm, you'll NEVER let it go. = MY 760 with a 2.5X Leopold is PRICELESS.
(At 200M with 286 grain Privi Partizan ammo, it will make a BIG/ragged hole, if I do my part.)

yours, tex

You're going to hurt my bank account.....

-Jake
Bocajnala,

IF you'll "look about for a bit", I suspect that you'll find a CHEAP Model 760, which has a rusted/pitted barrel for CHEAP.
(I've recently bought TWO .30-06 versions in GOOD shape for 100 bucks each from local estate sales.)

ADDENDA: I'm planning to have one of the pair made into a .400 Brown-Whelen Improved, as my budget cannot handle a REAL English or European Dangerous Game Rifle in a big-bore chambering. = My .400B-WI will cost me less than 400 bucks including S&H, so that's doable.
(A quality 400 grain bullet at 2000FPS, given a decent shot, will handily collect any game animal on every continent.)

Jessie's prices are reasonable & his conversion work is FLAWLESS, so NOT a big hole in the average member's budget/bank account.

BEST WISHES with your "new to you" 9.3x62mm pump-rifle.

yours, tex
so why a 9.3 and not a 35 whelen? seems they are pretty similar and whelen ammo/components are easier to find. i love my whelen carbine. its a one holer with remington factory ammo.
Satx,
You will never buy a functional 760/7600 at any auction around here, for $100.
Originally Posted by rem141r
so why a 9.3 and not a 35 whelen? seems they are pretty similar and whelen ammo/components are easier to find. i love my whelen carbine. its a one holer with remington factory ammo.

The 9.3x62 has a greater "cool" factor than the 35 Whelen?

Maybe .366" bullets are more magical than .358" bullets?

For me, it would be because I already load for the 9.3x62, don't for the 35 Whelen, and already have a few .358" bore rifles around.
rem141r; 260Remguy,

YES the Whelen & the old Mauser cartridge are quite similar & if you plan to never hunt in Europe or Africa, you are no better off with the 9.3x62 than you are with the .35 Whelen.
(In my case, I have been invited to hunt in Moldova/Ukraine and plan to head to southern Africa to try to take a Cape Buffalo & hopefully a leopard next Fall.)

The old Mauser cartridge is legal almost everywhere in Africa for dangerous game & the Whelen is not lawful there for those same species.

Truth is I cannot see buying another rifle, in another quite similar caliber that I don't handload. Further, I refuse to get into an argument about which caliber is better, though I've recently "made fun of" the "www experts", who claim that the classic calibers like .30-06 or .35 Whelen are, "Inadequate for hunting".

yours, tex
Dillonbuck,

SPOT ON. You won't likely find any functional rifle in ANY caliber for a bargain around here at the auctions. = Generally in south TX & on the Worldwideweird, firearms at gun auctions sell for MORE than the firearms are worth at "private treaty".
(Bidding wars are quite common at auctions.)

yours, tex

The old Mauser cartridge is legal almost everywhere in Africa for dangerous game & the Whelen is not lawful there for those same species.

I believe the only African country where a 9.3 would be legal but a 35 would not is in Zimbabwe. Many of the countries with minimum caliber restrictions have 375 as minimum, so the 9.3 wouldn't be legal either, at least on paper.
The cool thing about the Whelen is the ability to use handgun bullets, some of which will still expand when fired subsonic, as in through a suppressor. A Pump Remington could be threaded, and suppressed with a pistol can as long as one was running sub-sonic loads.

Another cool option for the Whelen is the light Cutting Edge Raptors. I shot 160 grain Raptors at 3100 fps in a Whelen, which made a decently flat shooting rig for open country.
prairie goat,

IF you actually check the "minimal caliber restrictions", I believe that you will find that virtually all the Sub-Saharan countries exempt the old Mauser round from those laws.

Btw, one thing that I like about the .35 Whelen is that you can use .38SPL/.357MAG PBCB boolits for "small game hunting".

yours, tex
Tex,
I've heard of 9.3 rounds being exempt, but have not found it in official writing, hearing that is was more of an un-official policy. If you could point out where there's an official policy to allow 9.3s, I'd sure like to see it.

I understand that we're talking about Africa and official rules may be a bit more fluid in the bush, but if one were bending the rules, then it might be possible to bend them another .008" down to .358. I say this with no African experience, so please bear with me and if I'm way off, feel free to correct me.

Billy
prairie goat,

The 9.3x62 was "grandfathered in" in most African nations, as the caliber was known to be adequate for dangerous game up to & including elephant. - Offhand, I cannot give you line & citation BUT every professional hunter that is on the African hunting forum agrees with my comment.
(You are FREE to disbelieve me/them.)

yours, tex
I've heard about the 9.3x62 being grandfathered in while reading at AR and speaking to folks in the know, and certainly don't doubt you. What I was getting at, is if the law isn't being followed the letter by carrying a 9.3, then what would it matter to carry a 35 Whelen, especially with prior consent from the PH? Can't see how a 280 grain A-Frame, 250 tsx, or 310 Woodleigh launched from a Whelen would be any different than a 9.3x62 on game, but I don't intend to pull you into argument over "which is better", nor am I interested in such exercise! I believe our friend RinB has used the Whelen in Africa, and would be the fellow to ask for specifics on large African game with the Whelen. Haven't seen him post lately, hope he's off hunting!
JustLucky,

Fwiw, you might well have shot that much IF you had a virtually unlimited supply of free ammo to expend. = I truly MISS being asked how much ammo that our people wanted for practice, when I was on duty with the MPC.
(I don't ever remember being told that whatever quantity that I named was "just too much" or "excessive". = One afternoon in 1987, I remember being asked if I didn't want another case of .38SPL Ball, as "it's in the way". - My driver loaded it in the PU bed & it was expended that weekend by our MPs & DoD Police. We had LOTS of Korean War era Colt's & S&W revolvers in the arms room in those long-ago days.)

yours, tex
I've heard about the 9.3x62 being grandfathered in while reading at AR and speaking to folks in the know, and certainly don't doubt you. What I was getting at, is if the law isn't being followed the letter by carrying a 9.3, then what would it matter to carry a 35 Whelen, especially with prior consent from the PH? Can't see how a 280 grain A-Frame, 250 tsx, or 310 Woodleigh launched from a Whelen would be any different than a 9.3x62 on game, but I don't intend to pull you into argument over "which is better", nor am I interested in such exercise! I believe our friend RinB has used the Whelen in Africa, and would be the fellow to ask for specifics on large African game with the Whelen. Haven't seen him post lately, hope he's off hunting!

Probably better ask Rin B because you are completely full of BS!!!

Trystan
Posted By: 78CJ Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 12/29/17
Lets get this back on track, I kinda like this one.....

[Linked Image]
78CJ,

AH YES. The CLASSIC 141. = I once had one that I liked very much & hunted with "in the thick stuff" in .32REM. ===> I traded it EVEN for a LEOPOLD-scoped 700BDL LH in .30-06 (and that had an exceptionally figured stock) to a TX pawnbroker, who needed the .32 for a "complete set".

SADLY, it was stolen when I was OCONUS, when my favorite "girl cousin's" ( Paula) house was burglarized. =The burglars essentially stripped Paula's house out to the bare walls. - They even managed to steal her VERY HEAVY square-grand Steinway player piano. = They backed a moving van up to the house, while she was oot on business.
(Paula's neighbors sat & watched her house being stripped & didn't call the police, as one "witness" told HPD that, "I thought that she was moving.")
Posted By: johno Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 06/01/18
Ok CJ tells us down under fellas all about that one

Johno
Posted By: 78CJ Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 06/01/18
Originally Posted by johno
Ok CJ tells us down under fellas all about that one

Johno

I have had this one for a while, Remington Model 14R Carbine with 18 1/2" Barrel in .32 Rem, with the Thumbnail Safety. I don't think they made too many of them.
Originally Posted by RGK
Interesting story on that, Jim. When I bought this, I was assigned to the 82nd Abn Div scout/sniper program years ago. We trained infantrymen to shoot M-1 Garands (pulled out of mothballs) to hit targets out to 500 meters (they all had Weaver K4 scopes mounted in a side mount). I bought this rifle because we literally had a tractor trailer rig full of LC match and ball at our disposal to shoot up. After the students were gone, we daily shot a couple of hundred rounds (or more) for fun. My rifle had over 18,000 rds through it when I sent it back to Remington. They re-barreled it, fitted a new buttstock (it had several cracks), tuned/rebuilt the trigger and reversed the safety in the custom shop for free. When I contacted them about a rebuild, they told me I had the record for number of rounds fired through a Remington pump. They were very interested in examining my barrel. I kept a log of the number of rounds fired during that period.
Bob

One of my favorite things about this site is how the people here have actual experience. Where else would you hear from someone who actually wore out a Remington pump 30-06?

Okie John
okie john,

NO place else, that I can think of.

Fyi, "my little brother" (He's 70" tall & 240#) actually wore-out a Browning Hi-Power, & returned it to the factory "for repair, if possible. - Please notify me of the charges, ASAP.".
(At 72" & 185#, I'm "the runt of the litter" = Our BIG brother is 74" & about 275#.)

About 3 weeks later, Browning returned the Hi-Power to him (unrepaired) but WITH a brand new BHP at NO CHARGE "with our compliments".
(My guess is that the people at Browning were ASTOUNDED that anyone could actually shoot enough to wear-out a BHP to the point that it was unrepairable.)

yours, tex
Posted By: Bugger Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 06/01/18
Nice rifle you have there. You want to double your money? grin

I like Remington pumps too. Most of mine are more worn than that one. You take excellent care of your rifles.
Posted By: tzone Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 06/02/18
Here is my .35 Rem 760.

[Linked Image]
Remington got a lot of mileage out of that 870 receiver design.
tzone,

NICE. NOT easy to find in .35REM, either.

yours, tex
This is my ultimate pump. My son Chad "High Brass" bought it for my with great pride and joy.

[Linked Image]

This 760 30-06 was High Brass' pride and joy. I bought it the year he was born. I took this buck the year we lost him in a spot he had taken a 6 point a few years before. Chad had mounted a variX III 2.5x8 with a post & duplex.
[Linked Image]
How old is that pump now Dave, almost 40 years? Love the pic

1950's Remington pumps are hard to not like. Sorry, I love the pic and the guns in it. A 16ga 870 and a 35 Rem 760. I need to pick up a 760 in 300 Savage.

[Linked Image]
Scott, it's 42 (1976) and it's been in the family 41 years. I bought it new in '77.
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

No doubt it will put a hurtin' on them. As good as you model is, the semi-auto cousins of this rifle aren't very good. I've seen too many that were jam-o-matics. The pumps are a lifetime gun, as you have proven.
Posted By: DMc Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 06/10/18
Love my 35 Rem Carbine. Keep switching the stocks back and forth from wood to synthetic to wood again...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DMc
Posted By: tzone Re: The Ultimate Remington Pump - 06/11/18
tzone,

yours, tex

It fell into my hands. A kid traded it in at the LGS on Mossberg Patriot~!!! It was still laying on the counter and I asked what it was. Manager said. .35 Rem. I said, "you don't even need to put it away. I'll take it now." grin
tzone,

yours, tex

It fell into my hands. A kid traded it in at the LGS on Mossberg Patriot~!!! It was still laying on the counter and I asked what it was. Manager said. .35 Rem. I said, "you don't even need to put it away. I'll take it now." grin
Originally Posted by Steelhead

1950's Remington pumps are hard to not like. Sorry, I love the pic and the guns in it. A 16ga 870 and a 35 Rem 760. I need to pick up a 760 in 300 Savage.

[Linked Image]

Love that pic. Love the mill sawed planks on the shed too.
I just can't get used to the 870 stock on there. But I love that gun.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

[Linked Image]

That is a sweet pic! Love everything about it
Beautiful rifle. I need to find someone local to do the same checkering work on mine.
© 24hourcampfire