Home
I just got this Howa Mini Action 223 last week, havent even fired a shot yet, and noticed something about it that isn't like my remington bolt guns. Lifting the bolt after pulling the trigger seems to take quite a bit of effort compared to say my Remington 700 Mtn rifle. This is the motion of re-cocking the firing pin. I took the bolt apart and cleaned off the original assembly oil and wiped things down with Rem Oil. This seemed to help some. I put a drop of oil on the ramp on the bolt and didnt notice much difference. After it is re-cocked, it cycles silky smooth, no issues there. I was thinking maybe it is a characteristic of it being a mini action? Is this normal?

Anyone else with a Howa Mini action care to chime in?
Steeper angle on the cocking cam. I noticed that too. No big deal unless it feels like something is wrong with it

My first thought is the cocking ramp needs greased but you have put oil on it. That should help. One tip I learned is to put a dab of antiseize grease on the cocking ramp. If it's easy to lift the bolt once cocked. I'd take another look at the cocking ramp.
The howa is a bit steeper angle and is tougher to cock than a 700...just different, not better or worse. I put a tiny bit of grease on all mine in that area and they smooth out with time
I did some more research on them this evening and found it a common complaint even on the Howa 1500s. The dab of grease is suppose to help it. I will give it a try. Would polishing that cocking ramp with some lapping compound make any sense? I felt it with my finger tip and it didn't seem to be rough at all. Its probably the steep angle. This is my son's first rifle (he is 7 and a lightweight) and has a bit of trouble racking it up and was hoping to reduce the force needed to open the bolt.
PA Probe, I have a mini Mauser in .222 and the bolt lift is stiff with it, also. Like you said, once cocked the bolt cycles much more smoothly. I always thought I just had a rough action but sounds like it is a characteristic of a mini action. Good to know.
on several Howa's I've had to disassemble them and ended up cleaning out gunk
in the trigger assembly....debris and too much oil...
© 24hourcampfire