Home
Posted By: JackVliet Winchester 70 6.5 creedmoor - 01/24/18
It looks like winchester will finally be chambering their rifle for this cartridge.
I know there be some happy campers knowing this, as people have been waiting.

Are there any other introductions from SHOT show you guys are excited about?

If ww could just get Winchester to make left handed model 70s again they would
have all of my business!
Now if they’ll do the 6.5 PRC, too.
An EW in 6.5 CM might be pretty cool...

John
I’ve been watching all the live feeds on Facebook from manufacturers at the shot show and out of them all I personally feel this is going to be a Big year for Marlin with their lever guns! They have some nice rifles in .357mag coming out in stainless versions and also a 45-70. Plus, a threaded barrel model. Really cool models and it looks like their quality control has been on the Up & Up! Way to go Marlin!
Posted By: TDN Re: Winchester 70 6.5 creedmoor - 01/25/18
From what I see they still won’t chamber a M70 in the 6.5 but, by all means, I’m glad they’re keeping the hot selling 325 WSM in the line up!
Originally Posted by TDN
From what I see they still won’t chamber a M70 in the 6.5 but, by all means, I’m glad they’re keeping the hot selling 325 WSM in the line up!

Notice the text just below the picture of the rifle.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...roducts/model-70-extreme-weather-ss.html

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...rrent-Products/model-70-super-grade.html

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...ent-Products/model-70-featherweight.html

Posted By: TDN Re: Winchester 70 6.5 creedmoor - 01/25/18
Well... I’ll be. I should have read the print! I just scrolled down to the drop down menu of offerings where it wasn’t listed.

I mean... who would bother to read the top few lines, right? grin
Wow, you must be joking. Keeping the 325 WSM, but not offering a 6.5 Creedmoor is completely absurd in my opinion!
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Wow, you must be joking. Keeping the 325 WSM, but not offering a 6.5 Creedmoor is completely absurd in my opinion!

Look at my post above before you stroke out..
I'd take a featherweight in 6.5 Creedmoor
Speaking of lightning fast responses to not so subtle market demands. It also looks like they brought back a few different SS M70s including the SS Featherweight laugh . That's been kind of a Grail gun for me since I missed the last opportunity to buy one in, what like 2009? A SS M70 in Creed would be an awesomely slick deer rifle.
in a bolt what can a 6.6 cm do that a 260 can't
The marlins do look great! All besides that super tactical one.
Looks a bit ridiculous.
Originally Posted by Whelenman

I don't know that Winchester ever chambered a M70 in 260.....
the current featherweight has too fat a stock and too skinny a barrel.
Posted By: 79S Re: Winchester 70 6.5 creedmoor - 01/25/18
I buy a featherweight in a 6.5 cm

Have far, far better market support (including actually being offered in the M70), and running long, dangly, high BC bullets closer to the lands, even out of the stumpy M70 short action magazine.

It all depends on how you look at it, the 6.5 CM has tons of market support now, everyone makes great ammo, cases and rifles. The .260... not so much, there are Lapua cases so there is that. From where I'm coming from, already having a hunting 6.5 CM, and a long range 6.5 CM, the question is "What can a .260 do in a bolt that a 6.5 CM can't?" and the answer to that is: Absolutely nothing of value.
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
the current featherweight has too fat a stock and too skinny a barrel.

laugh
Posted By: prm Re: Winchester 70 6.5 creedmoor - 01/25/18
What is the max COAL for the M70 Featherweight mags? Short action...
Originally Posted by JackVliet
It looks like winchester will finally be chambering their rifle for this cartridge.

have all of my business!

And if they'd ditch that pos MOA trigger and bring back a nicely refined NH trigger, even I would be interested... smile
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
Speaking of lightning fast responses to not so subtle market demands. It also looks like they brought back a few different SS M70s including the SS Featherweight laugh . That's been kind of a Grail gun for me since I missed the last opportunity to buy one in, what like 2009? A SS M70 in Creed would be an awesomely slick deer rifle.

Yup. Model 70 Featherweight Stainless in 6.5 Creedmoor could indeed be the Holy Grail. I’ll let you know shortly after they become available. grin

As far as the fast market response goes, I have it from a pretty reliable source that the 6.5 Creedmoor version of the Winchester XPR outsold all others, including.308 and .30-06 and .270 Win. Pretty hard for any company to ignore a #1 seller. I am glad Winchester is being so agile and responsive.

have all of my business!

The SS Super Grade and Featherweight in .30/06.
Posted By: tzone Re: Winchester 70 6.5 creedmoor - 01/25/18
Originally Posted by TDN

They actually are. One in a stainless/featherweight even.
Originally Posted by Jonnymac

Redneck had (has?) a New Haven Super Grade in .260.
Posted By: chance Re: Winchester 70 6.5 creedmoor - 01/25/18
Why would they make a 6.5 anything they don’t even chamber 223???
6.5 > 5.56
Can anyone who owns a Featherweight measure the barrel diameter at, say 19-20 inches? I had a .243 Featherweight a few Extreme Weathers and an Ultimate Shadow ago, and remember the barrel being skinny, but not too skinny? Are they thinner towards the muzzle than Kimber 84s? Also, I thought the WSMs had a slightly different contour than the standard chamberings, but that may have been in my head.

What is the max COAL for the M70 Featherweight mags? Short action...

Going from memory, I believe my EWs topped out at 2.84" ish for reliable feeding..... Well short of the 2.9+" it took to introduce 165gr partitions to the lands.
Posted By: prm Re: Winchester 70 6.5 creedmoor - 01/25/18

Going from memory, I believe my EWs topped out at 2.84" ish for reliable feeding..... Well short of the 2.9+" it took to introduce 165gr partitions to the lands.

Still .02 better than my 84M or Ruger. Thanks.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Winchester 70 6.5 creedmoor - 01/25/18
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

have all of my business!

Hmmm, I may have to commit the Cardinal Sin of buying a 30-06!

grin
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

I stand corrected. I'm guessing it must have been a somewhat rare offering?
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

have all of my business!

grin

I'll forgive you. wink
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

I stand corrected. I'm guessing it must have been a somewhat rare offering?

I never saw it catalogued. No teliing what New Haven came out with. I heard rumors of a 223 featherweight controlled round feed Model 70, but I've never seen one. There are members here who claim to have.
Posted By: RDW Re: Winchester 70 6.5 creedmoor - 01/26/18
But the have to twist them right, a 1:9 Creed' is not very appealing, SS FWT or not.
Yep. A little scared of that too considering their 1:9 in 264WM and 1:10 in 280Rem.
Originally Posted by RDW
But the have to twist them right, a 1:9 Creed' is not very appealing, SS FWT or not.

Wait. What?

They twisted the 6.5 Creedmoor 1:9? They went against spec? WTF? They can stick all those Model 70 Creedmoor rifles right in their ass.

I’m ditching every Winchester I own. I can’t believe anyone with even 1/4 of a brain would even consider such heresy. This sucks.
Originally Posted by RDW

No doubt Winchester is tone deaf when it comes to market demands, especially updating their twist rates to accommodate the bullets that are popular now (and have been for several years), but surely they can't be that oblivious? I hope..

Sell LOTS of guns!

There is NOTHING selling as well as the Creedmoor right now. You would have to have your head stuck in the sand to not jump on this train if you are a gun maker. Period.
Originally Posted by RDW

No doubt Winchester is tone deaf when it comes to market demands, especially updating their twist rates to accommodate the bullets that are popular now (and have been for several years), but surely they can't be that oblivious? I hope..

Especially when their own XPR in 6.5 Creedmoor is twisted 1:8.
Well setters, let me know when you want to dump your winnies!
Posted By: RDW Re: Winchester 70 6.5 creedmoor - 01/26/18
I don't know that it's 1:9 because I didn't see it with the EW release, but it would be a deal killer.

Before the Creed craze, I had PacNor rebarrel an EW in 260, sweet rifle.
I wonder if shortactionsmoker has any insight on when the M70 Stainless Featherweights and Creedmoors might be hitting shelves?
Posted By: prm Re: Winchester 70 6.5 creedmoor - 01/26/18
^^I asked him that very question! He's pretty busy right now I'm guessing.
I own a push feed New Haven Ranger Model 70 chambered in 223 Rem with a factory FW barrel profile with open sights on it.

The rifle is tagged as a "-Winchester Model 70 SA 223 REM-" on the usually placed barrel roll-stamp with the word "Ranger" stamped on the other side of the barrel slightly closer to the action. The action has a drop plate style trigger guard. It sits in a Plain Jane non-walnut wood stock with no checkering. I bought it NIB years ago in that configuration, and it is a great shooter.
just looked on their site - no specs for the 6.5 that I could find, but the .264 is 9 twist. Not a good indicator.
Originally Posted by prm

Darrik is certainly at the Shot Show and will b busy for a week or two following.
Posted By: Alex38 Re: Winchester 70 6.5 creedmoor - 01/27/18
If they twist them right, my first new rifle purchase of 2018 may be an EW in 6.5. Also wondering if they’ll go 22” or 24”?
I wonder if shortactionsmoker has any insight on when the M70 Stainless Featherweights and Creedmoors might be hitting shelves?

Late 2nd quarter/early 3rd quarter 2018. DAMHIKT
Originally Posted by Alex38
If they twist them right, my first new rifle purchase of 2018 may be an EW in 6.5. Also wondering if they’ll go 22” or 24”?

I’d bet in Featherweight and EW it’ll be 22” for sure. Probably 24” in Super Grade.
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by prm

Darrik is certainly at the Shot Show and will b busy for a week or two following.

Yep! This is a busy time of year for me. I won’t even be in the office until Wednesday and then it’s off to another show after a couple of days. Please don’t think I’m ignoring threads or PM’s. I simply don’t see them or spend much time on here until things settle down.

I expect the Winchester’s later than sooner. Nothing happens fast with Browning or Winchester. I did order several though!

Given the past history of manufacturers in the shooting world to announce an offering well before they're available, it may be a while....
Originally Posted by 340boy

grin

You will never find forgiveness.
But you will find joy and contentment
Looks like Winchester has flushed out their website a little.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-70/model-70-Current-Products.html

Can't link to the specifics but they are there now.
As previously stated in this thread - 6.5C in EW, FW, and SG - but no SS FW.
Barrels are all listed at 22" with a 1 in 8" twist.
EW is listed at 6 pds 12 oz - so could be close to 6 if dropped in an edge.
Posted By: hanco Re: Winchester 70 6.5 creedmoor - 05/19/18
I wonder why they waited so long? They lost a lot of sales.
I would love to own one of the Super Grades in .264 Win. mag and .280.
So would I, but probably not until then.

Originally Posted by Redneck

And if they'd ditch that pos MOA trigger and bring back a nicely refined NH trigger, even I would be interested... smile
Posted By: Dinny Re: Winchester 70 6.5 creedmoor - 05/21/18
Speaking of cardinal sins....I wonder if I should sell off my old M70 in 6.5x55 for a new one in 6.5 CM??? decision, decisions, lol

Thanks, Dinny
Originally Posted by Dinny
Speaking of cardinal sins....I wonder if I should sell off my old M70 in 6.5x55 for a new one in 6.5 CM??? decision, decisions, lol

Thanks, Dinny

I sure wouldn’t!
I wouldn’t sell my Tikka to buy one.
Odd thread.. lots of repeat posts and pages, at least that's what I'm seeing here on my end!

But... I'm WAY LATE to this party but I'm just about to pull the trigger on an M70 Featherweight SS in 6.5 Creedmoor , and it does have a 1:8 twist rate. Any thoughts??
Originally Posted by hunt4570
Odd thread.. lots of repeat posts and pages, at least that's what I'm seeing here on my end!

But... I'm WAY LATE to this party but I'm just about to pull the trigger on an M70 Featherweight SS in 6.5 Creedmoor , and it does have a 1:8 twist rate. Any thoughts??

The thread spans a four month period, starting two years ago, when Winchester announced the chambering. They didn’t hit dealer shelves till THIS fall. So nearly two years after announcement. Much of the thread you resurrected was speculation and the usual ‘fire conjecture, with some ford vs chevy thrown in.
There are a couple of more current threads going on the same subject - I will link one for you.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...09/anyone-get-their-mitts-on-a-m70-creed
© 24hourcampfire