Home
Posted By: ol_mike Suppressed hunting rifles ? - 01/27/18
I have a suppressed cz 22lr that is a lot of fun , thinking of getting one for a deer/hog rifle .

I want one that is small , lightweight but still quiet , tell me what you folks like please .
You already have a hog rifle with that CZ. Pick your shot, plink 'em in the brain, or cervical vertebrae.

My 2 cents on suppressors: They can be quiet with subsonic loads, but lose a lot of that with HV stuff. Don't see the point in doing that, though a lot of folks do. If one subscribes to my theory, we are talking soft lead and subsonic velocity. Otherwise, put your muffler on whatever you want and rock on. Suppressors do not turn effective cartridges into snowflakes.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Suppressed hunting rifles ? - 01/27/18
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
You already have a hog rifle with that CZ. Pick your shot, plink 'em in the brain, or cervical vertebrae.

My 2 cents on suppressors: They can be quiet with subsonic loads, but lose a lot of that with HV stuff. Don't see the point in doing that, though a lot of folks do. If one subscribes to my theory, we are talking soft lead and subsonic velocity. Otherwise, put your muffler on whatever you want and rock on. Suppressors do not turn effective cartridges into snowflakes.

That was fast on getting worthless opinions that not only doesn answer your question but doesn't answer anyone else's question either
Well I see this thread started out well.

There are a good selection of nice light, short, quiet cans out there these days. Look for titanium, and built by a name brand which is likely to be around in years to come in case you need warranty work. For example, the Silencerco Omega or Thunderbeast Ultra 7.
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

That was fast on getting worthless opinions that not only doesn answer your question but doesn't answer anyone else's question either

Must be something in the water up there in TN, hey?

There's nothing special about suppressors other than muting muzzle blast and they do that as a function of volume in the device and muzzle exit pressure generated by the charge. They do not mute the sonic crack from HV bullets. My point and obviously one you did not comprehend is those thinking about using such things for hunting simply need to make a choice based on those facts and move on.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It ain't rocket science.
I just bought a Ruger Ranch Rifle in 450 bushmaster. Nice little gun 16” threaded barrel. I see a suppressor in my future.
Posted By: hanco Re: Suppressed hunting rifles ? - 01/27/18
I have a Savage 308 Hog Hunter, it’s very quiet with 11 grains of Trail Boss and a 170 gr. Partition. Kills pigs at 50 yards. I’ve never tried it at longer range.
Some trailboss with a 178 eldx is pretty fun too. That said a suppressor is even nice with super sonic stuff too! To be able to do load work ups and check velocity and groupings in the yard and load and shoot and tweak as needed is pretty nice.
I don't really think we need to tell someone that already has a can that suppressors don't make supersonic bullets subsonic... Nothing is as quite as subs through a good .22 can, but suppressing high power rifle rounds still makes a big difference, and is well worth it.

Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Well I see this thread started out well.

There are a good selection of nice light, short, quiet cans out there these days. Look for titanium, and built by a name brand which is likely to be around in years to come in case you need warranty work. For example, the Silencerco Omega or Thunderbeast Ultra 7.

These are two cans I would definitely recommend. Many of the guys at Thunderbeast shoot at my local range, so we get to see lots of their cans, some while they are still in development. The Ultra 7 is probably the best lightweight can out there, they really sound good and are definitely the sweet spot in the Ultra line. There are a LOT of guys shooting matches and hunting with TBA Ultras around here. I've heard fewer Omegas, but they've always been nice and quiet for their size and weight, with plenty of attachment options. I bought a Liberty Sovereign last summer and just picked it up this month, I would have gotten an Ultra 7, but found a sweet introductory deal on the Sovereign for nearly 40% off at Capitol Armory. So far it sounds really good, and at 12.7 oz, disappears on the end of my rifles compared to heavier cans.

Given your intended use, I'd say definitely pony up for a light TI can up front, the weight makes a big difference. Don't be like me, I wanted a forever can with any imaginable attachment option, so I got a Saker 762 first. While it sounds great and is end of the world tough, it didn't really meet my needs for a light hunting can, so I wound up buying the Sovereign. Oh well, the Saker is right at home on my ARs, everything else will get the Sovereign though.

Just a few words to the wise on buying strategy, individual applications are running 5-6 months faster than trusts right now (mine was 150 days from check cashed to approved). Also, in the last year the ATF has implemented some kind of electronic Form 3 system, dealer to dealer transfers are going through in a day or two, might as well shop around on the internet for deals...
Should have explained myself better , - at our lease we have our own spot/area - I figure if I could cut down on the blast from a shot and not scare the critters as bad at the neighbors spot it would be a good thing .

Dan , My shots are as much as 300yds. , I've enjoyed your pig head shots over the years .
Going to search the Sneezer looks quiet .

I didn't know I had a piece of crap .22 suppressor intil this evening -Huntertown- , they have went out of business or ceased operations ?

Anyway while looking I see prices as much as double on suppressors that ''look'' similar so I was just wondering who had something that was nice at a competitive price .

BTW , my Huntertown works great , but I don't have - nor have I been around another suppressed rifle to make a comparison .

I'll look up some of the suppressors mentioned , where's a good place to buy them online ??
Posted By: Lonny Re: Suppressed hunting rifles ? - 01/27/18
I have the Silencerco Omega and have been very pleased with the weight, length and noise reduction. If shopping again, though the Thunderbeast Ultra 7 would get a very hard look. You won't go wrong with either one.
I meant to suggest some places in my post but forgot, I've seen good deals at various times at:

Silencershop.com
capitolarmory.com
quietriotfirearms.com
silencerhq.com ( has Ultra 7s on sale)

I usually peruse the top two, but silencerhq has some interesting deals going.
Thanks everybody - gone looking .
I'm using a Silencerco Octane 9 for the .22 and .30. Is a pistol can subverted to rifle use. The Sneezer is aptly named if I say so myself and with the .22 RF it is stupid quiet. Hollywood is jealous? It has a baffle stack that can be removed and cleaned if so inclined, a feature some designs do not provide for.

https://silencerco.com/

As suggested earlier I've no experience with HV and cans so I won't make any recommendations on that so far as brand/design etc. Since you're taking long shots you obviously need more pizazz than subsonic unless you're related to that Quigley guy. Pick your cartridge and rifle based on personal preference and go from there. There be a fair number of light handy guns on the market that could work, just be sure you have enough meat on the barrel for threading an appropriate sized adapter. You will find discussion on that point in the Silencerco web page linked above. My own is a 5/8x24 thread and works well enough. There are some constraints regarding what style of can/adapter will work with HV centerfire, do your research on that with diligence.

I have developed a bit of a propensity in dabbling with singled shot rifles, and not just for such things as we speak of here. 2 Contender frames and 4 barrels, one of which sports a .30-30 chamber. With plastic stock and sporter contour barrels in the 20-22" range they weigh in the 5.5-6# range with scope. The barrels are available in a number of chamberings of course, to include the .223. Fairly certain I'd not try to stretch the .30-30 out to 300 yards, but being a single shot it gets loaded with spitzer bullets and I'd not hesitate to plink at something out to 200-225 yards or so. As the other barrels go, so too goes the .30-30.......sub MOA precision, day in, day out. Wouldn't know what to suggest for a repeater unless you have a lot of spare change to burn.

One last comment: There seems to be a tendency to shorten barrels intended for suppressors unnecessarily in my opinion. Cans are not that heavy and the extra length does not interfere with handling so far as I can determine; some folks think that weight forward benefits offhand shooting and I'm in that camp. Feel free to ignore me on that as my longest barrel is 42" and I have several that are in the 30" range +/-.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Suppressed hunting rifles ? - 01/27/18
Dan I misread what you said and was quick to be a smart azz. I should have read slower. Sorry.
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
.... Given your intended use, I'd say definitely pony up for a light TI can up front, the weight makes a big difference. Don't be like me, I wanted a forever can with any imaginable attachment option, so I got a Saker 762 first. While it sounds great and is end of the world tough, it didn't really meet my needs for a light hunting can, so I wound up buying the Sovereign. Oh well, the Saker is right at home on my ARs, everything else will get the Sovereign though. ...

I went the "Buy once. Cry once." route as well. Glad I did. Bought a .300WM class Ti can that will work for any center fire rifle that I might likely suppress from .223 AR on up thru the majority of my bolt rifles. 9" length and 15 ounce weight is not onerous on any rifle that I currently have threaded. Pretty cool when the return sound of a subsonic 220 grain bullet smacking a mud pond bank at 390 yards is far louder than the sound of the rifle being fired... smile
In my experience the extra length of a suppressor most definitely interferes with handling. I highly recommend shortening a bolt action rifle barrel to 16-18" if it will be run suppressed, as doing so will keep similar OAL to a "standard" hunting rifle. The balance point will still be pushed out further forward, helping with off-hand shooting, but not so far as to make the rifle unwieldy if a decently heavy scope and mount are used.

What makes for a really nicely balanced and not overly heavy suppressed bolt action hunting rifle is to start light - something like a Barrett Fieldcraft or Kimber Montana or Adirondack. Cut/thread the barrel, or buy one of the 18" Barretts or an Adirondack. Mount a 6-7", 12-14 ounce can. Then use a scope such as an SWFA 3-9, Nightforce SHV 3-10, or similar in good mounts - those scopes weigh 19-21 ounces, brings the balance point back a tad, and most importantly won't need to go back to the factory every couple years due to zero loss or tracking issues. This combination makes for a quiet to shoot, light recoil rifle, which also has a scope setup that will maintain zero. All of this in a rifle with an all-up weight between 7-8 lbs, and an OAL similar to many other 22-24" bolt action rifles.

Cartridge selection for an suppressed hunting rifle (or SHR) should be based on intended game, range of shots, and logistics (just like cartridge choice for any other rifle), but one should keep in mind a velocity range with bullets of interest and choose a cartridge that will match those speeds with a shortened barrel. For instance, a short barreled 30-06 is likely to turn in velocities at or slightly below those of normal factory ammo in a standard length barreled 308. Just something to keep in mind when building an SHR.
Posted By: hanco Re: Suppressed hunting rifles ? - 01/27/18
That’s the good thing about a cheap Hog Hunter is the factory short barrel. It’s ready to go, already threaded. The cheap thing is amazingly accurate. There is a used one on GunBroker for 340.00. They have 20” barrels.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Suppressed hunting rifles ? - 01/27/18
Thunderbeast UL7 so far is a wonderful tool at 9 ounces or so. Wish I had it years ago.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Suppressed hunting rifles ? - 01/27/18
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
In my experience the extra length of a suppressor most definitely interferes with handling. I highly recommend shortening a bolt action rifle barrel to 16-18" if it will be run suppressed, as doing so will keep similar OAL to a "standard" hunting rifle. The balance point will still be pushed out further forward, helping with off-hand shooting, but not so far as to make the rifle unwieldy if a decently heavy scope and mount are used.

What makes for a really nicely balanced and not overly heavy suppressed bolt action hunting rifle is to start light - something like a Barrett Fieldcraft or Kimber Montana or Adirondack. Cut/thread the barrel, or buy one of the 18" Barretts or an Adirondack. Mount a 6-7", 12-14 ounce can. Then use a scope such as an SWFA 3-9, Nightforce SHV 3-10, or similar in good mounts - those scopes weigh 19-21 ounces, brings the balance point back a tad, and most importantly won't need to go back to the factory every couple years due to zero loss or tracking issues. This combination makes for a quiet to shoot, light recoil rifle, which also has a scope setup that will maintain zero. All of this in a rifle with an all-up weight between 7-8 lbs, and an OAL similar to many other 22-24" bolt action rifles.

Cartridge selection for an suppressed hunting rifle (or SHR) should be based on intended game, range of shots, and logistics (just like cartridge choice for any other rifle), but one should keep in mind a velocity range with bullets of interest and choose a cartridge that will match those speeds with a shortened barrel. For instance, a short barreled 30-06 is likely to turn in velocities at or slightly below those of normal factory ammo in a standard length barreled 308. Just something to keep in mind when building an SHR.

Totally agree. After trying 22 and 24" barrels with a 6" suppressor for a year or two, I sent them to the gunsmith and had 4-6" cut off. Much better for handling, packing, getting them in and out of a vehicle, etc... I've never once wished for the extra inches back. Unless a guy was to give up on using a can and wanted to bring the balance and lost velocity back. As a side note, I lost about 25-30 fps per inch cut off..
Posted By: 30338 Re: Suppressed hunting rifles ? - 01/27/18
Cut my 06 from 22" factory down to 18". Lost around 100 fps, but is shooting great and so much more comfortable with the UL7 on it. Velocity with 180s is 2680ish in 20 degree weather.
tag
18” seems the sweetspot for suppressed hunting rifles.... at least those based on the .308 case.

I’ve been 17”, 18”, 20”, and 22” with 8” cans... and I like 18” the best.

Here’s a standard Ruger American 7/08 cut to 18” and threaded 1/2x28, with a 8” SilencerCo Harvester (top) and a RAR Predator 22” .243 with an 8” Suppressed Armament System Ti Arbiter suppressor (Bottom). Top rifle is under 48” long, and under 7.5lbs all-up.

Top rifle is set up for Suppressed big game hunting, and wears a 3-9x40 Leupold in DNZs. I shoot 140 TTSX at about 2650 out of it. It works well unsuppressed too, I killed a bull with it this year unsuppressed.

Bottom rifle is for play and vermin, SWFA 3-9 in Low Talleys. 55s at 3850 and 105s at just under 3k.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Does it still take about a year to get the suppressor?
My suppressor a Griffin Armament Recce 7 lives on a 10 1/2” PWS AR-15 most of the time. I’ve also used this one on a GAP-10 in .308 Win, Ruger Ranch 7.62x39, and a 6.8 SPC AR. All of these are shot supersonic....why might you ask that I use a suppressor?
1. Noise for the shooters ears and those who may be around him or her.
2. Recoil Reduction... IMHO, Suppressors work better than any muzzle brake made
3. Quicker follow up shots due to the recoil reduction
4. Watching the bullet impact the animal or target... due again to the recoil reduction
5. Reduces Flinch response. I have young people shoot and I don’t want to create any bad habits.
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Dan I misread what you said and was quick to be a smart azz. I should have read slower. Sorry.

No worry, I've heard worse from drill sergeants. laugh

And I note that the barrel choppers generally are fitting a can to a bolt action or some other platform with a longish action, so maybe that's where the schism develops? Not a brag, just a matter of the chosen path I suspect, but the Sneezer has a 19" barrel and the .22 RF barrel is 20". The former was so constructed based on minor consideration of interior ballistics efficiency. The latter because the 20" .22 Short barrel was perfectly functional on the Contender frame. Were I to thread the .30-30 barrel (22") I wouldn't chop it. With the Sneezer barrel and can installed the gun is 39" long and weighs about 6#, scoped and loaded.

In general terms a centerfire repeater action will add 6" or so to a rifle's overall length so I sorta get it about chopping those back a bit. I've only shot four legged critters more than once on two occasions in my life and the single shot theory worked. Might change my tune if hunting dangerous game.

Ol Mike said he was looking for what I will characterize as "light and handy" if I recall correctly, and the T/C Contender is all of that. I don't know it he can cobble one of those up for long range shooting because the Generation 1 frames are limited to moderate pressures. Gen 2 frames are not. Too, there are any number of alternatives which can rock and roll across the zip codes. Ruger #1, Low Walls, High Walls, Handi Rifles come to mind. The only other caveat is muzzle diameter and what size adapter will fit properly without compromising structural integrity and precision. Pencil thin barrels are NOT the playground for suppressors.

Originally Posted by JGRaider

It didn't for me , just a couple of months and I had mine .But who knows - maybe others weren't as lucky as me on that .

Dan , I have a H&R 444marlin that I really like but thinking about getting one of the ruger ranch 450marlin Bkollock3470 mentioned .

Would like to have a Can that will work on every firearm I own .
Posted By: atse Re: Suppressed hunting rifles ? - 01/28/18
I have a silencerco suppressor on a standard rem 700 7 mm. Nothing cut off the barrel, and it has a night vision scope. I have found that the suppressor eliminates roughly 2/3 of the noise, and 2/3 of the recoil. That is with 140 grain corelokt hand loads. I don't lose sight picture after the shot.
I'm using a SilencerCo Omega on several of my centerfire rifles. Its pretty lightweight and compact at 13oz and 6" long in direct thread configuration. Sound is great, its as quiet or more, than many other cans 1-3 inches longer.

I just picked up my latest In early January, it was 150 days on the nose from when they cashed my check to the the day it was approved (another two weeks or so to make it back in the mail). Individual submissions are running around 5 months right now, trust applications significantly slower at 9 months. I honestly think things will speed up in the next 6 months or so, it's probably not a bad time to file.

You can look at self reported times on the chart on the page below

http://www.nfatracker.com/nfa-transfer-time-tracking/

Originally Posted by 30338
Cut my 06 from 22" factory down to 18". Lost around 100 fps, but is shooting great and so much more comfortable with the UL7 on it. Velocity with 180s is 2680ish in 20 degree weather.

That's interesting to hear, I've been trying to decide on a caliber for my dedicated suppressed elk rifle, been considering .30-06, .300 WSM, .280/.280AI, but I think I've settled on another '06, it's just so hard to beat the balance and economy offered by that round. I was thinking 20", but from your numbers, 19" sounds like a sweet spot for what I want.
Mike, I'd say either of those will work but I'd give favor to the .450 only because of better bullet selections for long range. Possible plus on the .450, if you cast your own, a barely subsonic 500 grain chunk of lead will do the trick at 300 yards and you might have the best of both worlds. 300 grains in the .444 might do it too, but I've not spent any time examining that scenario.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Suppressed hunting rifles ? - 01/28/18
Originally Posted by Gtscotty

I just picked up my latest In early January, it was 150 days on the nose from when they cashed my check to the the day it was approved (another two weeks or so to make it back in the mail). Individual submissions are running around 5 months right now, trust applications significantly slower at 9 months. I honestly think things will speed up in the next 6 months or so, it's probably not a bad time to file.

You can look at self reported times on the chart on the page below

http://www.nfatracker.com/nfa-transfer-time-tracking/

Originally Posted by 30338

That's interesting to hear, I've been trying to decide on a caliber for my dedicated suppressed elk rifle, been considering .30-06, .300 WSM, .280/.280AI, but I think I've settled on another '06, it's just so hard to beat the balance and economy offered by that round. I was thinking 20", but from your numbers, 19" sounds like a sweet spot for what I want.

Its a nice rifle and always shot well. Figured I would be aggressive on the chop. Now overall length of barrel is still 24" and its quite pleasant to shoot. Has my wheels turning on chopping a few others. Also rules out ever thinking about another fluted barrel as that is only thing stopping me from chopping my 7mm.
Thanks Dan

Also should have said [forgot] I did not get a Trust , it appears that is a slower process .
Posted By: RDW Re: Suppressed hunting rifles ? - 01/29/18
I have a Harvester and have used it on 223 and Grendel AR's, I like it and new rifles need to have threaded barrels if at all possible.

The wait was long for me, about a year but I just got in before the trust deadline.

What is more irritating is having to carry paperwork to prove I paid a "tax" to protect my hearing and reduce noise pollution, actually it's dumber than dirt.

I have been having a blast shooting a Spectre II on a RAR and 22/45 Lite, the 22/45 is pretty darn loud especially with Stingers.
© 24hourcampfire