Home
Looking to pick up a new toy but I'm on the fence and can't decide. I like the idea of a 300 wsm, with it's edge on performance, but having never shot one, I'm concerned about the recoil. Recoil in the field isn't a concern but I want a gun that I can spend a day on the bench shooting without feeling like I got hit by a truck.

I've owned 300 win mags and 30-06s and found the 300 win mag to be tolerable but not fun to shoot all day. 30-06 for me is much more pleasant to shoot but the I've been looking a lot more into the 300 wsm and it sounds like it would get me the added performance with *possibly* a noticed drop in recoil compared to the 300 win mag. Gun would be an M70 and I'll probably put a McMillan Hunter stock on it.

In the field it would be used for elk and mule deer up to 500 yds, but will see a lot more range use for paper punching fun.... basically needs to do both duties. I reload and cost difference isn't a concern to me.

So if you were me, what would you go with?
Neither one would be fun to shoot all day at the range.
Days on the bench vs a few shots per year hunting. .30-06 vs. .300WSM.

My choice "Neither".

Get something like a 6.5 Creed, 6.5 PRC, 7mm-08, or .308 Win. Maybe a .270 or .280.

WSM's usually come in lighter packages. They kick.

DF
If you've played with '06 and WM, try the WSM. If you handload, you can load to whatever recoil level you desire. I've shot the short mags a bit, and in their usual light set-ups, they can be snappy, but stock fit matters more than anything for felt recoil on the bench. You only live once....
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

My choice" Neither.

Get something like a 6.5 Creed, 6.5 PRC, 7mm-08, or .308 Win. Maybe a .270 or .280.

280AI. And a 260 are what I chose.

My choice" Neither.

Good point.

Unless the OP is shooting big stuff, he can do well with your list of suggestions.

Even big stuff has been killed with all of the above and they'll do it again. IMO, bullet choice would be the main issue, more than the round.

I have various magnums in the safe, find myself using 7-08, Swede, Creed. 257R and 308 more and more.

DF
I have a Weatherby MKV ULW 30-06
and a Sako Tecomate 300 WSM exactly the same off
the bench neither is bad to me now,
Down the road????
Who knows
I would pick what you like
30-06 ammo is a helluva lot cheaper...
The 300 WSM doesn’t recoil anymore than a 30-06 to me. Less recoil from the short case.

Have you considered a 270 WSM? He’s a 700 270 WSM

[Linked Image]
I have a 7.5 pound 30-06 it isn't terrible on kick but you wouldn't want to shoot it all day. I don't know about the wsm I want one just never found the one I want
Originally Posted by copperking81
Looking to pick up a new toy but I'm on the fence and can't decide. I like the idea of a 300 wsm, with it's edge on performance, but having never shot one, I'm concerned about the recoil. Recoil in the field isn't a concern but I want a gun that I can spend a day on the bench shooting without feeling like I got hit by a truck.

I've owned 300 win mags and 30-06s and found the 300 win mag to be tolerable but not fun to shoot all day. 30-06 for me is much more pleasant to shoot but the I've been looking a lot more into the 300 wsm and it sounds like it would get me the added performance with *possibly* a noticed drop in recoil compared to the 300 win mag. Gun would be an M70 and I'll probably put a McMillan Hunter stock on it.

In the field it would be used for elk and mule deer up to 500 yds, but will see a lot more range use for paper punching fun.... basically needs to do both duties. I reload and cost difference isn't a concern to me.

.308 Win, and never look back
Originally Posted by hanco
The 300 WSM doesn’t recoil anymore than a 30-06 to me. Less recoil from the short case.

Have you considered a 270 WSM? He’s a 700 270 WSM

[Linked Image]

Yes, that one is in the mix for consideration too. As is the 6.5 Creedmoor.

I like the added horsepower the .300 wsm will get me, if I find myself needing it. I don't really have that in the tool chest right now.

Too many choices smile
Originally Posted by Sycamore

.308 Win, and never look back

Hard to argue that logic. The 308 would have plenty of performance for deer and elk to 500,be cheap to feed and fun to shoot.
If you’re liking the 30-06 then I’d stick with it. With all of the great Bullets and powders available I’d be just fine with it set up to take 500 yard pokes. 180-200 Accubonds, 190 ABLRS, and similar slick Bullets in the 2700-2800 range will hammer Elk. The 300 WSM might be a smidge faster than the above, but not enough to matter. The Bullets yiu feed it mean more than the case most of the time.
Having been there done that, here's my suggestion: I'd buy the 300WSM and build it exactly how you want it, or how you are envisioning it. Kind of like the one I had:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You'll find the 300WSM recoils right between the 30-06 and 300WM, which is not bad and can be tolerated for a bench session and some field shooting. I probably wouldn't fire off more than 50 rounds per day, personally... That may just be me though... My biggest gripe with the 300WSM vs. the 30-06 is the amount of ammo you can stuff into the mag box. This may or may not bother you, but its likely going to be 3 vs. 5 when you are comparing similar rifles (lets say winchester model 70 CRF). The 300WSM cartridge is known for its "inherent" accuracy, but I've never had a bad shooting 06 either... I will say, either cartridge will get you past most sane hunting distances when the rifle is set up properly for long range shooting and still have plenty of horsepower to get into the vitals and cause DRT's. So the extra added power of the WSM is almost a moot point when comparing it to the grand ol 30-06. I'd also add, if you want to shoot your 300 wsm more, put it in a stock with a higher/parallel comb, like a brown precision. Or bansner, if you don't want to pay Brown's prices. That type of stock will mitigate recoil much better than the Mcmillan hunters compact:
[Linked Image]

I know a lot of us have been in your shoes and I would not sway a person one way or the other and say one is better than the other. That's something you will have to learn for yourself. And if you are like many of us here, that thought of "needing" that 300WSM, won't go away until you actually have one in your hands. Just be warned, if you started out on the 30-06 don't be surprised if you give the wsm a good honest try and then find out the 06 will do everything the wsm will do. But it will do it with less expense, more rounds in the magazine and less recoil. I still say buy the 300WSM and learn this on your own. Good luck with it...
I recognize recoil perception varies greatly from shooter to shooter but for me, there was a world of difference between the 30-06 and 300 WM.

So let me ask the question in a different way... for those that have experience with these cartridges, would you say the 300 wsm recoil is closer to the 30-06 or 300 Win mag?
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Having been there done that, here's my suggestion: I'd buy the 300WSM and build it exactly how you want it, or how you are envisioning it. Kind of like the one I had:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You'll find the 300WSM recoils right between the 30-06 and 300WM, which is not bad and can be tolerated for a bench session and some field shooting. I probably wouldn't fire off more than 50 rounds per day, personally... That may just be me though... My biggest gripe with the 300WSM vs. the 30-06 is the amount of ammo you can stuff into the mag box. This may or may not bother you, but its likely going to be 3 vs. 5 when you are comparing similar rifles (lets say winchester model 70 CRF). The 300WSM cartridge is known for its "inherent" accuracy, but I've never had a bad shooting 06 either... I will say, that either cartridge will get you past most sane hunting distance when the rifle is set up properly for long range shooting and still have plenty of horsepower to get into the vitals and cause DRT's. So the extra added power of the WSM is almost a moot point when comparing it to the grand ol 30-06. I'd also add, if you want to shoot your 300 wsm more, put it in a stock with a higher more parallel comb stock like a brown precision or basner if you don't want to pay brown's prices. That type of stock will mitigate recoil much better than the Mcmillan hunters compact:
[Linked Image]

I know a lot of us have been in your shoes and I would not sway a person one way or the other and say one is better than the other. That's something you will have to learn for yourself. And if you are like many of us here, that thought of "needing" that 300WSM, won't go away until you actually have one in your hands. Just be warned, if you started out on the 30-06 don't be surprised if you give the wsm a good honest try and then find out the 06 will do everything the wsm will do. But it will do it with less expense, more rounds in the magazine and less recoil. I still say buy the 300WSM and learn this on your own. Good luck with it...

Very helpful, thank you for putting this together! And for the reasons you just mentioned, I'll probably give the 300 wsm a try.
Smack dab in the middle, or maybe a tad closer to the 30-06... I agree with you on the 300wm. They will beat the hell out of you. I honestly don't like them at all anymore.. I can tolerate the wsm though...
I recognize recoil perception varies greatly from shooter to shooter but for me, there was a world of difference between the 30-06 and 300 WM.

So let me ask the question in a different way... for those that have experience with these cartridges, would you say the 300 wsm recoil is closer to the 30-06 or 300 Win mag?

It was closer to the 300 WM because, like some have said, the rifle was built lighter. My 30-06 is a Ruger M77 and its a little heavier. So, my heavy 30-06 kicked way less than my light 300 WSM. If rifle weight was apples to apples, might mot have seemed so different.
.280AI twisted right will do anything you need it to
I’ve been back and forth between 30-06’s and 300WSM’s for years in multiple platforms. There isn’t a lick of difference in how they kill. I’ve come full circle to the 30-06 and find it easy to shoot as much as I like. I use less powder and since I’ve gone to a scope that allows me to shoot as far as I want, the MPBR zero advantage of the WSM is a non issue. They are both great calibers! Built up a scary accurate load with 155 Scenars at 3150 and it will be my mule deer/Elk load for the coming years.
Originally Posted by beretzs
If you’re liking the 30-06 then I’d stick with it. With all of the great Bullets and powders available I’d be just fine with it set up to take 500 yard pokes. 180-200 Accubonds, 190 ABLRS, and similar slick Bullets in the 2700-2800 range will hammer Elk. The 300 WSM might be a smidge faster than the above, but not enough to matter. The Bullets yiu feed it mean more than the case most of the time.

Scotty, he may be like the rest of us and needs to find out for himself. One of my buddies started out on the 06 (like I did), when he was 12. Then decided to give the 308win a try (in 2009) and loves it. He says it kills just as good as the 30-06. His poor old sporterized 1903 just sits in the safe now. Then about 4-5 years ago, he says he wants to try a "magnum". He says he wants to keep it a 30 cal, since he's thinking about getting into reloading. My best suggestion at the time was 300WSM. He's still using that rifle and that's the one he takes to the range most of the time. It's a winchester extreme weather and he's had a rough time with the rifle. It used to be a copper fouling biotch, but now it's settled down to a sub moa shooter. He took a nice cow elk with it in Idaho last month and still thanks me for suggesting the 300WSM. I don't know if he's going to revert back (like some of us do) to the 30-06, now that he has his 308win and 300wsm????
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I’ve been back and forth between 30-06’s and 300WSM’s for years in multiple platforms. There isn’t a lick of difference in how they kill. I’ve come full circle to the 30-06 and find it easy to shoot as much as I like. I use less powder and since I’ve gone to a scope that allows me to shoot as far as I want, the MPBR zero advantage of the WSM is a non issue. They are both great calibers! Built up a scary accurate load with 155 Scenars at 3150 and it will be my mule deer/Elk load for the coming years.

Good post. I know there are a few of us here that have reverted back to the 06 and accept it for what it is...

I would go .30/06.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

I would go .30/06.

If you were going jack rabbit hunting.. I'll agree.. BTDT too... grin
For jackrabbits nothing smaller than a .460 Wby,you know that,BSA. wink

I've got one in a Browning BAR with a synthetic stock that I retired to the safe because of the recoil. It was a gift from my dad, so I can't sell it. You'd think it wouldn't be bad in a BAR. A few shots, no problem. But I sat behind it on the bench a few times and put 20+ rounds down range and it was brutal. As a result, I started flinching, so it went in the safe and went back to my 280 REM. I will say the synthetic stock on the BAR is horrible and I couldn't find a good recoil pad that would fit it. And I never considered myself recoil sensitive but maybe I'm getting soft in my old age.
Well I used a 29-2 a lot, loaded with 240gr. hp's.... Furthest shot on a running jack was 200 yards... You really had to lead the sombitches, at that range... I always packed my 30-06 for backup too... grin
I could not hit a rabbit with a handgun at 20 paces,standing still too boot. wink

That's what the .460 is for.
I have a Model 70 FWT in 300 WSM cut down to 23" bbl and in an Edge stock with a Swaro Z3 on top. Perfect handling rifle that I wouldnt change. I got it for a close handling elk and mountain type rifle. It really is not that bad off the bench. Its a hunting rifle that I dont shoot a lot at the range. It has never bothered me and I really dont find the recoil that noticeable with factory Nosler 180 NABs. Sure, it pushes but it is expected. Technically, it probably does have more recoil than an '06 but if that was the deciding factor, I would probably choose a much softer recoiling cartridge than either a 30-06 or 300 WSM.
No contest....30-06
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I could not hit a rabbit with a handgun at 20 paces,standing still too boot. wink

That's what the .460 is for.

grin
Less recoil from the short case.

How does that work with everything else being equal ( bullet weight, velocity, rifle weight etc)?
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze

I've got one in a Browning BAR with a synthetic stock that I retired to the safe because of the recoil. It was a gift from my dad, so I can't sell it. You'd think it wouldn't be bad in a BAR. A few shots, no problem. But I sat behind it on the bench a few times and put 20+ rounds down range and it was brutal. As a result, I started flinching, so it went in the safe and went back to my 280 REM. I will say the synthetic stock on the BAR is horrible and I couldn't find a good recoil pad that would fit it. And I never considered myself recoil sensitive but maybe I'm getting soft in my old age.

I had a wood stocked BAR in 300 Win Mag for a while. That rifle ended my fascination with the cartridge. Even in that heavy of a rifle, it kicked me like a young mule. Maybe it was stock fit, because it kicked worse than the Rem 700 that I traded for it. I knew if I'd kept it, I would have developed a flinch that I'd have had a tough time getting rid of. I have a BAR Longtrac in 30-06 that's not bad at all.

I've also owned on 300WSM and used it to kill the first and largest buck of my like. I just couldn't warm up to the cartridge and eventually traded it. My hunting partner owns it now and enjoys it, but did tell me it's the only rifle he's ever shot that showed a tremendous difference in recoil with different bullet weights. He refuses to shoot 180s out of it, 150s aren't bad at all.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You'll find the 300WSM recoils right between the 30-06 and 300WM, which is not bad and can be tolerated for a bench session and some field shooting. I probably wouldn't fire off more than 50 rounds per day, personally... That may just be me though... My biggest gripe with the 300WSM vs. the 30-06 is the amount of ammo you can stuff into the mag box. This may or may not bother you, but its likely going to be 3 vs. 5 when you are comparing similar rifles (lets say winchester model 70 CRF). The 300WSM cartridge is known for its "inherent" accuracy, but I've never had a bad shooting 06 either... I will say, either cartridge will get you past most sane hunting distances when the rifle is set up properly for long range shooting and still have plenty of horsepower to get into the vitals and cause DRT's. So the extra added power of the WSM is almost a moot point when comparing it to the grand ol 30-06. I'd also add, if you want to shoot your 300 wsm more, put it in a stock with a higher/parallel comb, like a brown precision. Or bansner, if you don't want to pay Brown's prices. That type of stock will mitigate recoil much better than the Mcmillan hunters compact:
[Linked Image]

Is the blue stocked rig a Winchester Coyote Light? That's the platform I'm considering. I'm not a fan of the factory Bell & Carlson stock... any idea what I could sell if for?
Copperking, the rifle with the blue stock was a 2008 limited edition with an extreme weather barrel. I'm not sure about the value of your b&c stock. I did sell a factory b&c from an ew for $150...
Copperking, the rifle with the blue stock was a 2008 limited edition with an extreme weather barrel. I'm not sure about the value of your b&c stock. I did sell a factory b&c from an ew for $150...

Gotcha, thanks! Somewhere around $100-150 is about what I figured it would fetch.

Id say recoil is more towards 300wm. I like the 06. I had a 300win mag and the recoil wasn't horrible, I wasn't able to concentrate as well as I could with the 06. Sold the Win mag eventually. Id pick a 30-06 over WSM but it's subjective.
I've hunted with 30-06 since 1975. I started using 308 about 10 years ago and really like the round. Modern 308 loads beat WW-2 era 30-06 loads by about 100 fps. I'll never say anything bad about 30-06, but just don't see me going back. My 6 lb 308 has exactly the same recoil as my 7.5 lb 30-06 and my 7.5 lb 308 has 25% less recoil than my 7.5 lb 30-06. My 308 will kill anything I'll ever hunt out to at least 400 yards. My 30-06 or a 300 WSM will do the same thing farther, but about 400 is as far as I can shoot.

I did run across a deal on a Winchester 70 Classic in 300 WSM several years ago. I REALLY liked the round and if I didn't have such a sentimental attachment to 30-06 would probably say it is the better round.

You can push em faster, but I got best accuracy with my 300 WSM and 180's at about 2950 fps. That is only about 50 fps slower than typical 300 WM loads but about 150 fps faster than my most accurate 30-06 loads at about 2800 fps. About 250 fps faster than typical factory loads. Yea, I know some people push all 3 faster, but this is where I found best accuracy.

While the 300 WSM was closer to 300 WM performance I calculated recoil right down the middle. Both my 300 WSM and 30-06 weighed 7.5 lbs scoped. Assuming a 300 WM at 7.5 lbs as well I got:

30-06 22 ft lbs recoil
300WSM 26 ft lbs recoil
300WM 30 ft lbs recoil.

I've owned 300 WM in the past and can say that I noticed the 8 ft lbs difference in recoil between 30-06 and 300 WM. But I honestly never noticed the 4 ft lbs difference between 30-06 and 300 WSM. I know it is there, but I honestly never noticed it.

How much a different rifle weighs, and how hard you push loads can make things different. But those are the numbers on my rifles.

While I really liked the rifle, and 300WSM round I just found that I rarely took it hunting. I'd pretty much decided on 308 as my go-to round and just didn't need it. When I had a chance to sell at a profit I let it go. But if I were a younger hunter, with no sentimental attachment to 30-06 I'd probably keep a 300 WSM over 30-06. I know I'd take 300 WSM over any other 300 magnum.
308 would be the smart decision here, but if not, I'd run a 30-06 every time.
If you can have only one do everything caliber with the exception of dangerous game. No contest get the .300 wsm. The 30-06 is a very versatile caliber but the .300 wsm is even more versatile hunting caliber. I own a .270 .270 wsm, 30-06, .308, and a .300 wsm. I don't need all these rifles but I reload and enjoy playing. With today's recoil pads you can noticeably reduce recoil on all the calibers I listed. You can load the .300 wsm to .30-06 speeds shooting slightly more powder.

Don't let these creed guys and 6 mm guys try to convince you to shoot their bb guns. Bigger bullets at higher speeds have more killing power. There aren't any dangerous game guys using creeds or equivalent type calibers unless their a little crazy. But they'll argue all day that their pea shooter will kill anything at any range. Their full of chit.
The .300 wsm recoil is closer to 30-06 recoil than .300 wm recoil. Had a .300 wm for a number years but replaced it with the .300 wsm. Does pretty much the same thing with less recoil.
30-06 all the way. If I actually needed more than what it could do then a 300 WSM wouldn't be enough of an increment to satisfy that need.
Just a curiosity what can a 30-06 do that the .300 wsm can't other than recoil very slightly less?
A nice sporter weight or lighter '06 or 300 mag is not going to be a nice range gun.

A Sendero type rifle will make the 30-06 decent and the Mag tolerable for range use.
Do you want to carry it?

To answer the question, 30-06 is never a bad choice.
Thats someone's sigline.
WSM liked it but gave it to a friend.. I guess for me, I like the 06, but would pick the WSM ..
One of each is the only solution to your quandary. You will likely find components that work well for both rifles.
I've had a few of both and still have a 30'06, every 300 wsm I've had seemed closer in felt recoil to a 300 mag then the 30'06 shooting the same weight bullets.
Had a coworker, considered the expert of the crew cause he'd killed a few critters 10-20 years ago, that, upon my suggestion someone buy a 30-06 for blacktail deer over the 300 Win Mag told me, " The 30-06 don't even shoot good." So there's that.
Note to self....
I had a lighter 300WSM when they first came out...it was snotty off the bench. Somewhere along the way of bruising my shoulder and emptying my wallet I realized the 30-06 was much more pleasant and cheaper to shoot. If I need more than a 30-06 Im reaching for a 375 H&H.
Not much difference in shooting 150gr-165gr at long range. Separation kicks in with 180gr and 200gr similar to comparing 30-06 and 308 Win. Any 30 mag is going to be better on larger game at extended range than a standard 30.
I have had all three- currently shooting the 300wsm with 168 Bergers and so far liking it.Extremely accurate,low recoil,plenty of speed,and have used it on mule deer,antelope,coyotes,and a 375 bull from a 100 yards too 450 with great results.The 06 in the safe has sentimental value as I shot my first deer with it and the other is a 1950's Winchester Feathlite that hasn't been shot with the box and hang tags that a friend gave me.
Traded the 300 mag for a nice over and under mainly cause I bought the custom 300wsm that was a great deal.
Never have felt I needed anything more.
Cartridge (Wb@MV) Rifle Weight Recoil energy Recoil velocity
30-06 Spfd. (150 at 2910) 8.0 17.6 11.9
.30-06 Spfd. (180 at 2700) 8.0 20.3 12.8
.300 WSM (150 at 3300) 8.25 22.5 13.3
.300 WSM (180 at 2970) 8.25 23.8 13.6
.300 Win. Mag. (150 at 3320) 8.5 23.5 13.3
.300 Win. Mag. (180 at 2960) 8.5 25.9 14.0

These are number put out by Chuck Hawks if you can buy what he is selling. To bad he didn't test them all in 8 lbs guns. But again with today's recoil pads you can reduce these number a fair amount. I recommend putting them on all of the above guns.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
I would give some thought as to how well a hunting rifle feeds rounds from the magazine. I have two 300 WSM rifles including a Kimber 8400 and a Remington 700 Alaskan Ti. That short fat round can be an obstinate little bastard on its way into the chamber. I think it's much easier to find a. 30-06 Sprg that feeds well if that sort of thing is important to you. The 300 WSM is still winning long range benchrest matches, the. 30-06 Sprg not so much.... if that sort of thing is important to you.

Scotty, he may be like the rest of us and needs to find out for himself. One of my buddies started out on the 06 (like I did), when he was 12. Then decided to give the 308win a try (in 2009) and loves it. He says it kills just as good as the 30-06. His poor old sporterized 1903 just sits in the safe now. Then about 4-5 years ago, he says he wants to try a "magnum". He says he wants to keep it a 30 cal, since he's thinking about getting into reloading. My best suggestion at the time was 300WSM. He's still using that rifle and that's the one he takes to the range most of the time. It's a winchester extreme weather and he's had a rough time with the rifle. It used to be a copper fouling biotch, but now it's settled down to a sub moa shooter. He took a nice cow elk with it in Idaho last month and still thanks me for suggesting the 300WSM. I don't know if he's going to revert back (like some of us do) to the 30-06, now that he has his 308win and 300wsm????

This yr I’m going to use that 06 I got off of you, for all my Alaska hunting. So far this yr 2018 I harvested a 40 mile caribou using 167gr etips (2nds). spring bear aro7nd is he corner we can bait for Brn bears so trying to shoot me a decent Brn bear this yr. Anyhow to the point I guess, I had 300 wsm in a tikka t3 typcal tikka stupid accurate sold it. Went full circle and ended right where it started many many yrs ago with a 06. Granted my 06 back in the late 80’s was Winchester push feed lightweight man that thing shoot 180’s like a target rifle. I should try to find another one just because.
Originally Posted by 79S

This yr I’m going to use that 06 I got off of you, for all my Alaska hunting. So far this yr 2018 I harvested a 40 mile caribou using 167gr etips (2nds). spring bear aro7nd is he corner we can bait for Brn bears so trying to shoot me a decent Brn bear this yr. Anyhow to the point I guess, I had 300 wsm in a tikka t3 typcal tikka stupid accurate sold it. Went full circle and ended right where it started many many yrs ago with a 06. Granted my 06 back in the late 80’s was Winchester push feed lightweight man that thing shoot 180’s like a target rifle. I should try to find another one just because.

That's a great rifle. I'd trust my life with that one. 5 in the mag box and one in the pipe would make me feel better in bear country. Sure beats the hell out of 3 and none in the pipe. Or 2 in the box and 1 in the pipe, if you get what I'm saying...
300 WSM is a stair step midway between the 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. in velocity and recoil. I can tell a recoil difference in all three, and velocity is about 200 fps between each of them. I think the 300 WSM is very accurate, maybe as accurate as a .308 Win.
I've got a couple of 300 WSM rifles...M70...great round. It delivers about the same performance as the 300 Win Mag and is easier on the shoulder.

They are both great hunting rounds, and I'd use the 300 WSM for anyhing I'd use the 300 Win Mag for, and I have a couple of those too.

The 30-06 with full-power handloads and the same bullets isn't that far behind them at all, on either end. They are all three capable of taking larger game at long range and well past 500 yards.

While the big 30s are very effective hunting rifles, I don't use them that much for target practice...they're hunting rifles.

I'll take them out for a day of long range practice, maybe a couple of times a month, and that's fine, but if you want to shoot full power, heavy bullet loads all day long, and put a lot of rounds down range, day after day, week after week, the recoil of the bigger 30s with full power loads will eventually start to get to you.

But then Elk at 500yd is well within 308 capabilities and it's a lot softer shooting than all three of them.

If you don't mind a muzzle brake, or don't need the power of max loads, then that's a different story, but without a brake, I'd say the 308 is about at the recoil limit for constant target shooting.

A lot of guys can't handle that much, so they're moving over to the 6.5 Creedmore, because it has the ballistics of the 300 Win Mag and the recoil level of a 243, and it turns out it's adequate for Elk past 500 yds too.

I'm smack dab with bsa on this one - good post bsa!

I've done the same and have both in my safe at the moment. I've relegated the 300 WSM to 200 gr Partitions and for things that really need killin'. I find my 300 WSM (M70 EW) kicks more then my 30-06. As I've grown older, I've migrated to smaller cartridges. I used to have the "trio" - 7 RM, 300 WM, 338 WM and hunted them exclusively for a few years. I discovered the 7 RM was a bit much for deer and the 300 didn't kill any better than my 30-06 at the ranges I shoot things. It wasn't until I had had shoulder surgery and was forced to shoot something smaller one year that I discovered that little epiphany.
I think if you're worried about recoil, then get a sporter weight rifle with a good soft recoil pad.

I used to have a husqvarna 30 06 that was real light with a plastic pad,
and that thing kicked the daylights out of me. Everytime I shot it I
would flinch.

A friend of mine has a 338 win mag in a Browning Abolt.
I've shot that many times and the recoil is noticeably less
than that old 06. So make sure the rife fits good, has a nice recoil pad, and enough weight to soak up some recoil.
years ago i bought two model 70 classic s/s, one in 30-06 and the other in 300wsm. killed deer and elk with both. after 3 years i decided the wsm didn't ill elk any better or farther than the 06 so i sold the wsm. the wsm did recoil more when using 180gr failsafes for elk. good cartridge though. a fella could do a lot worse than a 300 wsm for his "all around" rifle.
Originally Posted by JMR40
While the 300 WSM was closer to 300 WM performance I calculated recoil right down the middle. Both my 300 WSM and 30-06 weighed 7.5 lbs scoped. Assuming a 300 WM at 7.5 lbs as well I got:

30-06 22 ft lbs recoil
300WSM 26 ft lbs recoil
300WM 30 ft lbs recoil.

I've owned 300 WM in the past and can say that I noticed the 8 ft lbs difference in recoil between 30-06 and 300 WM. But I honestly never noticed the 4 ft lbs difference between 30-06 and 300 WSM. I know it is there, but I honestly never noticed it.

My .300WM came before any .30-06 or .308 rifles, so the first thing I did during load development was to buile .308 and them .30-06 level loads. The.300WM loads came later. Your recoil numbers are pretty much what I calculated for the .30-06 and .300WM. The .308 came in at about 18 ft-lbs. Now tht I have .30-06 and .308s, the numbers still agree.

I definitely feel a difference between the .308 loads and the .30-06 loads, though, even though the diff is only about 4 ft-lbs.

How much a different rifle weighs, and how hard you push loads can make things different. But those are the numbers on my rifles.

While I really liked the rifle, and 300WSM round I just found that I rarely took it hunting. I'd pretty much decided on 308 as my go-to round and just didn't need it. When I had a chance to sell at a profit I let it go. But if I were a younger hunter, with no sentimental attachment to 30-06 I'd probably keep a 300 WSM over 30-06. I know I'd take 300 WSM over any other 300 magnum.

These days I own one .300WM, four .30-06 and two .308 rifles. My son-in-laws have received .30-06 rifles as wedding presents. If choosing between the WSM and WM I'd go WM for various reasons, including brass cost and availability of factory loads. (My son-in-laws don't reload.)
I have a 30-06 and two .308s. I like them all and would give the edge to the 06, only for heavy bullets. The brass for both is inexpensive and plentiful. The wsm is a great rifle also, but you will deal with a bit more recoil and higher-priced brass. If you want a wsm for a range session, just get a lead sled and go shoot all day!

My choice "Neither".

^^^^ This.

"Spending a day on the bench" with either, as per the OP, would be right up there with getting a root canal as far as things I like to do.
my titanium rem 700 300rsaum kicks less than my titanium rem700 30-06. the 300rsaum has a muzzle brake .
Originally Posted by seattlesetters

My choice "Neither".

^^^^ This.

"Spending a day on the bench" with either, as per the OP, would be right up there with getting a root canal as far as things I like to do.
I have two 6.5-284 awesome. I suggest you get a 6.5prc
30-06! memtb
Originally Posted by roninflag
Originally Posted by seattlesetters

My choice "Neither".

^^^^ This.

I have two 6.5-284 awesome. I suggest you get a 6.5prc

Yeah, the 6.5x284 might just be my all-time favorite cartridge. The 6.5 PRC sure is intriguing .... lighting up 140s at around 3,000 with about 16 ft lbs of recoil should make it an amazing performer on game.
The 300 WSM uses 6-7 gr's more powder than the 30-06, and is 200 fps faster. If that means something to you, by all means get the 300 WSM. Really, it's a fine cartridge. Not made for plinking, but then neither is the 30-06. The 300 WSM kicks more to my shoulder, all things being equal. I've taken antelope to mature bull elk with each - both work. But then so too does the 308 Win...

Aside, the 300 WSM, like the 308 Win, is one of the easiest-to-load-for cartridges I've worked with. Accuracy is typically superb.

6.5 whatever and puke all over your key board so it don't work no more. For a new guy your pretty arrogant. M B
Lol
Well Vinootz glad to see your a petty hater. I like rifles, have more than a few, enjoy all of them or they go down the road. I find the recoil of different 30 caliber cartridges more of a function of bullet weight and how well the stock fits you. Can't beat a really good recoil pad to reduce felt recoil either. Never had a 300 Weatherby but in a Mk V I'll bet it's not too bad. When I want to get some practice pre hunt season I load them down a bit only takes a few grains reduced to get 30-06 loads out of them. If you want a 300 wsm buy one, but if you don't handload that will get expensive as hell they run 2-3 dollars a round compared to 65-80 cents for 30-06 or 308 ammo. If you don't shoot much the cost of the ammo might be insignificant to you, but if you don't shoot enough the advantage of a magnum chambering will also be insignificant for you. MB
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Had a coworker, considered the expert of the crew cause he'd killed a few critters 10-20 years ago, that, upon my suggestion someone buy a 30-06 for blacktail deer over the 300 Win Mag told me, " The 30-06 don't even shoot good." So there's that.

He should get fired just for that comment!

LOL
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

My choice" Neither.

280AI. And a 260 are what I chose.

My .280 is definitely a lighter kicker than my .30-06 rifles and more than adequate for elk at most common ranges. Still, a .270 or .280 would not be my first choice for a day at the range.
I have the .308, 3006, and a 300wsm.....

Shoot factory stuff out of all 3. The 300 wsm is tough to group shooting 180 gr ammo due to the snappy recoil and unpredictable bounce off the rest. Dropping down to 150 gr can really change POI while velocity reaches 3200 .

I found some more affordable hornady whitetail 165 I want to try out........but in all likelihood the wsm will stay home.
It's a nice rifle, win model 70 extreme sporter just haven't figured out a bench technique to finalize zero.

Originally Posted by mathman
30-06 all the way. If I actually needed more than what it could do then a 300 WSM wouldn't be enough of an increment to satisfy that need.

Given those two choices, I would usually agree. Might make a difference if I found a really once WSM and a great price.
i chose .30-06 three times so far and have had as many as 4 at one time. And I have a .300WM. When elk hunting my .300WM gets th call more often, although I've killed about equal numbers with a -06 and WM. When headed to the range, I grab a -06 way more often than the WM.
If a 30-06 won’t do it you aren’t practicing and shooting enough. Practice at 100 and 400 yds. In the field you won’t have many surprises you’re not prepared for.
6.5 CM. It simply shoots well and The 06 is a gold standard for hunting.
The added horse power of magnum isn’t going to help if you won’t practice as much with it.
I started with magnums early on. That’s what Dad bought us, and that’s what we shot. Many years later, after getting tired of having the snot slapped out of me, I bought my first 30-06. Today I think it’s the best hunting round ever created. It just works. It’s not the fastest, but how much power do you need? Shot placement is the key to successful hunting. And the best shots I’ve made on game, have been with my 30-06. I’ll stay with it. I love my 338 WM, but doubt I’ll get back to Alaska. So I’ll just use one of my 30-06’s. Because they just work.
I’ve had both...I no longer have the wsm and have two ‘06‘s. If I was an elk hunter, I might have kept the wsm, but with its recoil and minimal ballistic advantages, I like shooting the ‘06’s much more. Less expensive, more available ammo, slicker feed and less recoil are the difference makers for me. However my 270 WSM will be one of the last rifles I let go of.
Somebody revived a 2 1/2 year old thread. The OP probably decided a long time ago.
Somebody revived a 2 1/2 year old thread. The OP probably decided a long time ago.

270 WSM vs 300 WSM

That's right some troll turd named Vinootz who said he was going to puke if anyone mention 6.5 Creedmoor. I didn't look at post date before his and came back told him to puke all over his keyboard so it wouldn't work anymore. I don't know how he was then able to delete his posts but he did and has now stfu. Sorry guys. Mb
[quote=hanco]The 300 WSM doesn’t recoil anymore than a 30-06 to me. Less recoil from the short case.

I recently bought a Kimber 8400, very light rifle, in 300 WSM and it was a breeze to shoot. "To me" the 300WSM is just a "Modern 300 H&H", or Super 30 they used to be called. A great, hard hitting, flat shooting round, the 300WSM is too!
I read the first page, including your OP, then skipped to here to make this point. Apologies if it's already been made.

You said in your OP you're a handloader. With that in mind remember the 30-06 is a 60K PSI cartridge and the 300 WSM is 65K PSI. Load both to the same level and the "not-too-great-already" differences in performance get even smaller. Nosler lists the water capacity of the two cases when loaded with a 180 Partition as 63.9 gr and 71.3 gr respectively. Using the well validated ROT that velocity potential increases at about 25% of capacity increase, that means (if pressures are equal) the WSM has only a 2.8% velocity advantage over the -06.
5 in the magazine, vs. 3, etc. etc.
But the 300 WSM with its "short-fat" configuration might be more "inherently" accurate, though we all know the -06 is a very accurate round. Since SPS got in a boat load of 200gr Partition blems I have become enamored of this bullet, with its (measured!) BC of .501 and 2650-2700 FPS potential from the -06 (at 60K PSI). I laid in a lifetime supply. The nums on that are most impressive when you run them out at range (and of course the nums on a WSM would be even better - more the question is what's enough) 2000+ fp at 400 yards and less than 9 inches drift (10 MPH cross)

I love the -06 but both are great and you should build what you like/want the most.

Enjoy the process,
Rex
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
[quote=hanco]The 300 WSM doesn’t recoil anymore than a 30-06 to me. Less recoil from the short case.

I recently bought a Kimber 8400, very light rifle, in 300 WSM and it was a breeze to shoot. "To me" the 300WSM is just a "Modern 300 H&H", or Super 30 they used to be called. A great, hard hitting, flat shooting round, the 300WSM is too!

Less recoil from the short case? How does that work?

Oops, I missed that too. Sorry for the bandwidth theft.
BUT, do note my comment about SPS's 200 Partitions - still in stock last time I checked.
I have a 1965 Sears 53 30'06, was bought by my uncle the day I was born. I have shot a boatload of critters with it. I have had several Winchester 70 versions, a few Tikkas and a couple of Remington 700s.

That Sears version of the model 70 is a cream puff compared to the others as far as recoil goes. I don't know if it is the design of the stock or just the nostalgia and memories that make it feel like it recoil quite a bit less.

These days I have several 300 WSM rifles, mostly X-Bolts and they are ever bit as pleasant as the old Sears, they just don't have the nostalgia or the flood of memories.
I have both and I would go with the dirty ought six if I were you for many reasons. Less recoil, more ammo , cheaper ammo, just as capable.

None of the above.

Not trying to be facetious here, but I would get .308 Winchester.
I've had many 300 wsms that have shot incredibly well. I think its an inherently accurate cartridge. I have one on a stiller predator with a 24" interrupted fluted #4 brux that has gone on most of my hunts the last 8 or 9 years. It shoots incredibly well with many different bullets.

However, some of the case design elements that may make it shoot so well also make it feed like crap. I finally had to go single stack watts for a 284 and modify and tune it myself. Feeds great now but its only 2 down.

It is really hard to beat a 30-06 for feed function and practicality. When I set out to build my do anything anywhere traveling rifle 10 years ago I went with a 30-06 and a serengeti reamer on a trued stainless 700. I messed with that for years and even replaced the 10 twist brux with a rock 9.3 twist and it never shot that great. In the end I think it was a problem with the truing of the action.

It was frustrating as hell because I loved the balance and functioning of that rifle. It felt right and functioned perfectly with plenty of room in the mag box and 5 down. I killed an elk with it past 400 but it never shot great.

I ended up buying a stainless Tikka t3 just to check my loads. I shot them side by side same loads with several different bullets one day and the Tikka shot every one of my loads under moa and 2 loads under 1/2 moa. The custom rifle barely broke moa with one load and was about 1.5 with the other.

I still hope to try it all again with a different action because I love the 30-06 for feed, function, availability, and flexibility. Now that I don't travel much anymore I'd be to tempted to make my next all around 30-06 an 8 twist 280. Until then I picked up a clean sako stainless 75 in 30-06 that shoots incredibly and proves the old 06 is capable. If it wasn't such a heavy beast with a Tupperware stock it would be my all around gun.

Bb
Either one will get the job done if you put the bullet where it belongs. Period.
Probably already mentioned but if you want to shoot heavies...190-210gr then the difference is not really worth it in 300wsm. But if you're shooting lighter bullets..150/165 then you can push the WSM a bit good faster. Short fat cases do have their powder limits with longer bullets.

Both are great rounds but I sold my WSM and really enjoy my 06 with 165gr bullets. All I need out to 500yds(2000fps/1400ft/pd) for anything in lower 48
Case in point...in a 30-06, I use 58gr/H4350 for a 168TTSX. The same 168TTSX in the 300WSM uses 64gr of R17 ( close to H4350 in burn rate, maybe even IMR 4831?) Anyhow, the '06 load is going 2800 or so and the WSM is going 3180. 5 gr of powder has no big effect on recoil.
I’m 59 years old and never once in my life stated
“help me decide”. Times are changing- lol.
If you handload, a 7x57. I bought a Winchester Model 70 7x57 here on the 'Fire a few years ago and it is superb. Not too heavy, accurate and mild recoil. Downside is that factory ammo is scarce and load selection is poor. But there are a lot of great choices if you are a handloader.
My only suggestion would be to not allow anyone else to tell you how much recoil is tolerable, and when it starts to become a problem. Only you can know
that for yourself, and the only way you'll know is through time spent on the trigger with different rifles. Recoil is certainly never your friend, and if you don't have a genuine need for a caliber that generates heavy recoil, I see no reason to deal with it. Given your needs, I agree with some others, and suggest something like a 7mm-08, 270 Win, or 308 Win. Modern bullets have made them even better and more capable, and they do so with what most people consider very tolerable and acceptable recoil levels.
Originally Posted by Vinootz
I’m 59 years old and never once in my life stated
“help me decide”. Times are changing- lol.

More importantly, you are 59 and use "lol"
January of '18, I wonder if he picked one yet? If not, here's a thought.

For those two, the package that comes wrapped around the chamber is more important than the headstamp.
Jmr40 listed another link from the OP he went 300 wsm so now wants everyone to tell him he needs a 270wsm because the 300 might be to big. He should have bought a 6.5 creed because Vinootz don't like them and the 10 rds a year he shoots would have cost less in money and recoil.
Vinootz don't like 'em? Well that settles it then.
Between the 2, I would pick the 30-06.

A .30-06. It has worked on everything I have used it on and kicks a lot less than the .300 mags.

“A lot more range time” translates to a 30-06 to me and with that range time those deer and elk will be in more danger. I practice with 165 gr Sierra but load 168 gr Barnes for elk when carrying the six.
if it were me.................30-06 for sure.

The extra velocity I have with all the 300s I have owned and hunted with never showed me any real advantage over a 30-06 for killing anything. Not a thing wrong with them, but nothing "more right" with them either.
I have owned a few 300 mags:
2 308 Norma's
3 300 Winchesters.
2 300 H&Hs (still have one of these)
1 300 Weatherby
1 30/378 Weatherby.
All were fine, but looking back, I saw and still don't see any real-world advantage to them over my 30-06 and they all were larger, heavier and longer.
I still own, use and love the Mauser in 300H&H and it killed deer and elk wonderfully, but not truly better than a 30-06. The point blank range of even my 30/378 was probably only 100 to 140 yards farther then my 30-06 and in the case of the Winchesters, Normas and H&Hs, it's truly only about 65 to 75 yards farther. Past that range you need to hold high, and if you can hold 10 inches high it's no harder to hold 14 inches high. It's not really a matter of the cartridge near as much as it is a matter of the shooter's skill. Same for windage. Once you have to start dialing or holding the hit is 100% on your skill, not on your equipment.
Of them all I have none now except the Mauser 300 H&H, and the reason I kept that gun is because I like the GUN and the cartridge is just what it happens to use.
I own more 30 cals rifles then any other bore size and my 300 H&H is now the most powerful one I have. I had a run of about 25 years using the super fast ones and did well with them, but in giving a totally honest evaluation of them all, none of them larger then a 30-06 ever did anything for me any better then a 30-06. no worse mind you, just not any better. All kick harder, and eat barrels out faster too, and all use more expensive ammo (hand-loaded and a LOT more if I had been buying factory ammo) so those down-sides were not off-set AT ALL in the field in comparison to the 30-06.

I like my 30s. I own a 30-30, two 300 Savages, one 303 british with a tight bore I use 308 bullets in, two 308s, two 30-06s and my 300H&H. I have sold a few 308s off and about 7 30-06s but I would never sell them all. I would have sold ALL my 300 magnums (but for the fact I just love the Mauser 300H&H.)
When I feel like I want to have more power in hand then a 30-06 gives me I go to a larger bore now days, not a faster 30 cal bullet. I now step up from my 30-06s and 300 H&H mag to a 9.3X62, a 9.3X74R or my 375H&H. Those all give me more power then my 30-06s, and I can see a small difference in how well they kill game over 500 pounds by simply making holes that always exit, (with good bullets) and that are larger in diameter.

But my experience has caused me to believe the best balanced of the 30 calibers is and probably always will be the 30-06. It seems to kill deer, elk, bears, antelope and moose as well as any 30 ever made, and it doesn't kick hard or eat throats out fast. If you need more then a 30-06 you probably need a LOT more. Not 5% but about 50%-75%

If the question was about a 30-06 or a 325 Short mag, a 338-06, 338 Win mag, or a 375H&H I would be less dogmatic. Bigger guns have advantages in the game fields at times, but a "faster 30-06 bullet" (which means any of the 300 mags) never showed me any true advantage in my 1/2 century of killing game. They look good in theory, but in actual kills I saw no advantage at all, and in many cases the slower impact of a 30-06 would allow a bullet to work BETTER then when it hits faster and breaks up more. That's is not truly a condemnation of any magnum, but more about bullet construction.

That said, the 30-06 just works, and works very well. If more is wanted, go bigger in bore size and bullet weight, not just faster.

Get both, I have 06, 300 Bee, and 300 Win mag.

That's a better Loony answer.

A real Loony would start at the top of the list, work down until he had a safe full...

Never say either/or, get'em all....

Just get both, shoot'em and have something interesting to report here on the Fire...

Then start trading and swapping around. Gives one something to occupy all that extra otherwise wasted time...

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

That's a better Loony answer.

A real Loony would start at the top of the list, work down until he had a safe full...

Never say either/or, get'em all....

Just get both, shoot'em and have something interesting to report here on the Fire...

Then start trading and swapping around. Gives one something to occupy all that extra otherwise wasted time...

DF

I will eventually get another 300 H&H, sold the pre 64 Bull gun I had for years.
Choosing between ‘06 and .300 WSM, for me it would be ‘06 every time.

Have a few ‘06’s no WSM’s, never wanted one.

Still don’t.

DF
I shot a 300 win mag for years. It actually got boring it was so reliable at any range. I switched to a 06 encore pistol to put a challenge back in it. It shoots a 150 pro hunter at 2625. It kills very well. My far shot was 300 yards dead right there. Quite a few over the years where I set up foe mostly 200 yards. Very effective. Now that recoil bothers me a little I would go with the 06. Ed k
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Choosing between ‘06 and .300 WSM, for me it would be ‘06 every time.

Have a few ‘06’s no WSM’s, never wanted one.

Still don’t.

DF

I do have a .300 Win Mag, an Ed Brown Damara.

Great gun.

But I find myself currently using mostly non-magnum rounds.

DF
Choosing the right bullet for any caliber you like to shoot is really the right answer. (lots of great choices)

The 06 loaded with a 200 grain partition and with a muzzle velocity of 2,650 still carries right at 1,000 foot pounds of energy out to 700 yards.

Since my shooting skills diminish quickly past 300 yards, I guess I'm covered.
I’m using the 30-06 with the 212 ELD at a flat 2700 and man, it has really been pleasant to shoot. Hitting has been really easy and man, the increased BC doesn’t stink either. Carries a lot of energy and the 06 won’t tear up that bullet. Thinking it’ll get into the starting line up in Wyoming.
A sage has opined, “it’s the boolit, not the headstamp”.

laugh

DF
Typically I would say 30/06 all day long over any "magnum" 30 cal. for what I hunt, and in fact the old legend is what I carry most of the time. But I've worked with a few 300 WSM's and geeze - they really behave themselves. It doesn't seem to take much at all to work up not a good, but a great load with them. If you shoot factory, go 30/06. If you handload, probably still a 30/06 - but a premium 165gr at 3,000 fps that shoots little bug hole groups all day long, in a short-action rifle (for those who care about that) with recoil that is not much different than an '06 sure makes the WSM an attractive option.
© 24hourcampfire