Home
Posted By: RBO Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/13/18
Been 14 months since I ordered one and still no delivery date frown
Posted By: kingston Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/13/18
I was in Melvin’s shop a couple months ago. He was busy building rifles!
Originally Posted by RBO

Damn! I hope its worth the wait for ya.....Hb
Posted By: RBO Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/13/18
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by RBO

Damn! I hope its worth the wait for ya.....Hb

I hope so too! I know the rifle will be a fine firearm, but 14 months is a bit longer than I expected. My last Nula was done in 10 months. I'm itchin to do some shooting.
I understand, thats a mighty long wait list.....Good luck...Hb
Were you given any estimate of delivery when you ordered?
What clambering did you order?
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

He said I'd have it before Christmas.
Originally Posted by RBO

What year?
Originally Posted by lastround
What clambering did you order?

6.5 Creedmoor
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by RBO

What year?

In his defense, he never mentioned which year.
Posted By: Reyn Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/13/18
I wonder how many rifles request Melvin or any other maker have in line? You figure a 1,000 or more? What can they do, 1 a day? You always hear a wait time but I have always wondered what that meant from a numbers standpoint.
Posted By: jk16 Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/13/18
Would anyone want a full custom rifle from a maker who was NOT backordered?
Think about that..

So Melvin missed his projected delivery date by 60 days..

Unless you paid for the rifle in full with a firm delivery date in writing, you are not solving any problems posting threads like this.

And you are not being fair to Mr Forbes .

Contact him directly with any issues.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/13/18
It will be worth the wait and more so that Melvin will retire one of these days and then they are gone.
Originally Posted by jk16
Think about that..

So Melvin missed his projected delivery date by 60 days..

Unless you paid for the rifle in full with a firm delivery date in writing, you are not solving any problems posting threads like this.

Contact him directly with any issues.

60 days so far, but how many more days can I expect? If someone who recently received one of his rifles speaks up and tells me how long it took, then it'll solve my problem, so ya this thread has the potential to solve my problem, that's why I posted the question.

I asked if anyone has gotten a rifle from him lately to see what the wait time is without calling Melvin. Did it ever occur to you that I have Melvin's number? Or that I've contacted him a few times over the course of the year? I get the same answer every time, a couple more weeks, we're working at it, I'll let you know when it's ready to ship. He's not giving me any definitive date and it's been "a few more weeks" since august. So, I'm asking people who've received one lately how long they've waited so I can get a real number, I have a feeling Melvin doesn't want to disappoint anyone so he's not giving an answer.

Originally Posted by Tejano
It will be worth the wait and more so that Melvin will retire one of these days and then they are gone.

Yes, I know, and I don't mean me the wait, I'm just looking to know how long it'll be without sugar coating.
Posted By: jk16 Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/13/18
Originally Posted by RBO

Yes, I know, and I don't mean me the wait, I'm just looking to know how long it'll be without sugar coating.

If you truly want to know the answer -ask Melvin on the phone straight up how long it will be- no sugar coating..:)

You are obviously a bit impatient.

Causing folks to doubt him or his company through threads like this really does no service to either of you.

Man up and ask him directly.
Posted By: Starman Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/13/18

A back order generally indicates a customer demand for a product or service which exceeds
a company's capacity to supply it.

If such is the case with MF then it would be better to be upfront and explain that to potential customers
before accepting an order/deposit and issuing a 'before xmas' delivery time.

Unless you paid for the rifle in full with a firm delivery date in writing,..

So you are saying the customers good will purchase deposit and word of MF aint worth anything?

...you are not solving any problems posting threads like this.

Overdue orders are often the problem-responsibility either directly/indirectly of the business accepting the order.
What stops MF contacting existing customers( as a customer service courtesy) to explain why an order
is overdue on delivery?.......or to put in your words...'Man up'

Causing folks to doubt him or his company through threads like this really does no service to either of you.

If anyone is causing folks to doubt MF its MF himself...customer RBO has already been more than reasonable
by patiently waiting extra months on his order.
Originally Posted by RBO

If you truly want to know the answer -ask Melvin on the phone straight up how long it will be- no sugar coating..:)

You are obviously a bit impatient.

Man up and ask him directly.

I don't think 14 months without a delivery date is being impatient. Maybe he's asking someone else because he was already told a date that came and went. I don't personally see it as negative against Melvin. It's no secret that he has had a huge work load and been behind for various reasons.

It would be different if he was complaining here about some little thing that he hadn't even given Melvin a chance to take care of. I just saw the post as asking any recent NULA recipients how long it actually took.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/14/18
gotta love the fire.....people saying what Melvin should and shoudnt do and how he should run his business, he must be doing something right from what i can see how many start ups have failed in the last few years but he has been able to keep it going for over thirty years and has from what i can tell the respect and repeat business from a lot of people....I think the original poster has been patient and was just trying to see what others have experienced as of late in getting a rifle from him....when you rely on employees and other companys to provide you products on time things are going to happen that arent in your control....unfortunately the rifle will be ready when he gets it done and to give a date when he doesnt know exactly isnt something your going to get from Melvin...good luck to the op you are getting one fine rifle
You mean to tell me a gunsmith, a world renowned gunsmith didn't make his delivery date?!?? No way!
I think the only one that EVER delivered when he told me was Dave @ IT&D. At least you'll get something to be proud of when it does come.
Posted By: Starman Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/14/18
Originally Posted by gene270
gotta love the fire.....people saying what Melvin should and shoudnt do and how he should run his business,
he must be doing something right

I don't see anybody here saying what MF should or shouldn't do.
Its more about what any reasonable business owner could choose to do of his own fruition
without much trouble or effort.

Yet I do see some people telling RBO what to do, but which drew no comment from you.
clearly you have a personal bias.

And doing 'something right'; doesn't necessarily mean a business is doing everything right.
You mean to tell me a gunsmith, a world renowned gunsmith didn't make his delivery date?!?? No way!
I think the only one that EVER delivered when he told me was Dave @ IT&D. At least you'll get something to be proud of when it does come.
Melvin has been making Ultra Light rifles since 1985, long enough that several of his regular employees retired within the past few years--while Melvin keeps going. He's had trouble replacing those employees, like just about any gunsmith in the business, and a new employee who can't/won't do the job means more time spent on each rifle. This is because Melvin wants them done right, so ends up doing it himself.

For over 30 years he's been pretty accurate about projected deliveries. That's not just my experience, but that of a number of repeat customers. Recent delays do not mean he's like other "world renowned" gunsmiths, but that stuff happens.
I received my ML from Melvin in December, almost 2 years to the day from when I ordered it. It is a fine fine rifle and I killed a small buck with it a couple days after getting it. It was a long wait and I’m happy I stayed in line for it. I tried to order a 22lr then, but he declined my money saying that he was 80ish rifles behind and wouldn’t take any new orders until he was caught up.
Ordered one December 10, 2015 received it January 10, 2018
Posted By: bt8897 Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/14/18
I think anyone who is paying someone to do a service is entitled to get an honest answer. I know things come up and sometimes deadlines are not met, that just needs to be communicated
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/14/18
Got to ask yourself BEFORE you order. Is the pleasure worth the pain?

If so let the man do his work.

If not find another smith. NULA ,ULA are awesome rifles but not the only answer to the lightweight question.

All due respect to Mr Forbes. If I could afford one I might just wait.
Posted By: RBO Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/14/18
Originally Posted by davidsapp
I received my ML from Melvin in December, almost 2 years to the day from when I ordered it. It is a fine fine rifle and I killed a small buck with it a couple days after getting it. It was a long wait and I’m happy I stayed in line for it. I tried to order a 22lr then, but he declined my money saying that he was 80ish rifles behind and wouldn’t take any new orders until he was caught up.

Thank you, and Scotts94 Z28!!!

TO BE CLEAR, because it seems some people can't deciefer the difference between a question and a complaint, I am asking a question, not complaining.

Like I said, I don't think Melvin likes to disappoint people or let them down so he has a hard time telling people that it's going to be a long wait, also as muledeer stated, he's gone through a change of staff over the past couple years and it's not an easy learning curve when you're building a Nula. He's taken a step to put new orders on hold because of the backlog, I'm just happy he took my order, and as a matter of fact he said my rifle was one of the last orders he took and that he only took it because I had bought one from him the year before.

As far as I'm concerned, Melvin makes the finest ultralight rifle on the planet and I have no problem waiting two years, I just don't want to keep bothering him every other month anticipating a shipment, that's why I'm asking the question on here.
I have a like new NULA model 20 in 308 Winchester for sale with no waiting.
Damn! 2 years wait for a rifle?...Wow!.....Hb
Posted By: jk16 Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/14/18
g
Originally Posted by RBO
[quote=davidsapp]I received my ML from Melvin in December, almost 2 years to the day from when I ordered it. It is a fine fine rifle and I killed a small buck with it a couple days after getting it. It was a long wait and I’m happy I stayed in line for it. I tried to order a 22lr then, but he declined my money saying that he was 80ish rifles behind and wouldn’t take any new orders until he was caught up.

Thank you, and Scotts94 Z28!!!

TO BE CLEAR, because it seems some people can't deciefer the difference between a question and a complaint, I am asking a question, not complaining.

Like I said, I don't think Melvin likes to disappoint people or let them down so he has a hard time telling people that it's going to be a long wait, also as muledeer stated, he's gone through a change of staff over the past couple years and it's not an easy learning curve when you're building a Nula. He's taken a step to put new orders on hold because of the backlog, I'm just happy he took my order, and as a matter of fact he said my rifle was one of the last orders he took and that he only took it because I had bought one from him the year before.
Posted By: MCMXI Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/15/18
Originally Posted by RBO

You might have your answer based on a couple of responses ... somewhere between 2 years and 3 years!

I've only handled and shot one ULA and it was chambered in .338 G&A. The rifle and scope didn't weigh much more than 6lb and the damn thing almost knocked me out when I pulled the trigger. It went to Africa with the original owner who used it for all manner of plains game but he sold it to a coworker for half the purchase cost. I couldn't and wouldn't wait for such a rifle, or any rifle for that matter. Out of interest though, how long would it take to get a rifle from D'Arcy Echols?

And you are not being fair to Mr Forbes

What? How can telling a simple truth be unfair?
Posted By: 30338 Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/15/18
He was going through a staff change at the time I had an ULA. A few details were missed on some work I had done and I decided to sell that one and move on. Lot of lightweight options these days.
Posted By: revorg Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/15/18
I ordered mine in Sept 2016 and received it Jan 2018.

I called him about 13-14 months in... He sounded tired, but he knew my name, what I had ordered, and informed me the barreled action was done and ready to be stocked.

Hang in there...
Posted By: RBO Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/15/18
Originally Posted by revorg
I ordered mine in Sept 2016 and received it Jan 2018.

I called him about 13-14 months in... He sounded tired, but he knew my name, what I had ordered, and informed me the barreled action was done and ready to be stocked.

Hang in there...

That's the same thing he's told me a few months back.
I have 3 NULAs on order, waiting 1+ years on each, as I expected. Staffing problems, lots of rifles to build, etc. I could have gone elsewhere, but am willingly waiting for the best. He is one of very few craftsmen who keep going after they are 70 years old. I have known Melvin since 1971 and he is a very honorable person, but his crystal ball is no clearer than someone else's. He does his best.
Posted By: ChetAF Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/27/18
Originally Posted by MCMXI
Originally Posted by RBO

You might have your answer based on a couple of responses ... somewhere between 2 years and 3 years!

I've only handled and shot one ULA and it was chambered in .338 G&A. The rifle and scope didn't weigh much more than 6lb and the damn thing almost knocked me out when I pulled the trigger. It went to Africa with the original owner who used it for all manner of plains game but he sold it to a coworker for half the purchase cost. I couldn't and wouldn't wait for such a rifle, or any rifle for that matter. Out of interest though, how long would it take to get a rifle from D'Arcy Echols?

I asked D'Arcy about delivery times a few months ago and he said 12-14 months. That could have changed since then, but is likely pretty close.
Received a call from Mr. Forbes today that my Model 20 ordered on November 9, 2017 is complete. Balance goes in the mail tomorrow so the rifle will ship after he receives my dealer's FFL. grin

You should hear from him soon.

Bruce
Posted By: fremont Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/28/18
Ordered a M20 early June 2017 and was told around 11 months at that time.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/28/18
3 months and two weeks ? that was really fast did you mean 2016 maybe
My thought as well ...
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 02/28/18
Originally Posted by scotts94_z28
Ordered one December 10, 2015 received it January 10, 2018

Seriously!? If it came with an all expense paid Alaskan moose hunt maybe. That's just nuts. It's a fricken rifle,nothing more,nothing less. There had to be extenuating circumstances.
Sorry guys, I meant to type 2016.

Bruce
Posted By: RBO Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 03/01/18
Originally Posted by balew6254
Received a call from Mr. Forbes today that my Model 20 ordered on November 9, 2017 is complete. Balance goes in the mail tomorrow so the rifle will ship after he receives my dealer's FFL. grin

You should hear from him soon.

Bruce

Nice, hopefully I'll get that call in the next couple weeks.
Posted By: RBO Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 03/15/18
Got the call,

My rifle is in the mail!!!
Picked up my rifle from my FFL on Monday March 11, 2018. It was ordered on November 9, 2016, not November 9, 2017 as stated in post #12679283 - 02/27/18. Well worth the wait!
Originally Posted by RBO
Got the call,

Congratulations! Please post some pics when you get it.
Posted By: RBO Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 03/16/18
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
Originally Posted by RBO
Got the call,

Congratulations! Please post some pics when you get it.

Will do.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 03/19/18
Three days have gone by, not for nothing.

smile
Posted By: GeoW Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 03/19/18
Love to see it when it arrives. Always on the lookout for a used one as at this point i'm not certain about the wait. 😝

g
Posted By: Brittdog Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 03/20/18
My rifle was finished last week, ordered 10-26-16. Melvin said it would ship as soon as he received his latest shipment of rifle cases.
Posted By: RBO Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 03/20/18
Originally Posted by GeoW
Love to see it when it arrives. Always on the lookout for a used one as at this point i'm not certain about the wait. 😝

g

I'm not even sure if he's taking orders again yet. I hope he starts up again soon, I still might order one more.
Posted By: McInnis Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 03/23/18
And you are not being fair to Mr Forbes

That comment was way out of line. RBO never complained about or criticized Mr. Forbes. Not even remotely. He asked an honest question. I'm considering ordering a rifle from him, and the information that his question asked if of interest to a lot of us. Why are being so sensitive about this? Is he your brother?
Posted By: prm Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 03/23/18
Any pics to share yet??
Originally Posted by skilakjim
I have a like new NULA model 20 in 308 Winchester for sale with no waiting.

Is this the one on gbroker with the thumbhole stock?
Posted By: RBO Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by prm
Any pics to share yet??

Not yet, it takes about 6-8 weeks to clear customs. At least I know it's in the process.
Posted By: Daveh Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 03/28/18
That is why I now just rebarrel Montana’s. I have owned three of Mel’s rifles and they are ok.
The one 270 was a real shooter.
The model 24 isn’t all that light both of mine with 24” barrels were 5-12.

My MT with a PN barrel in 7-08 Ackley is 5-2 bare. Shoots 3/4” with three Hunting loads. I know that is more comparable to a model 20 but in real life on a scale I haven’t seen a 20 that light.
Plus there are no flies on the Kimber 84 design just Kimbers barrels, execution and CS...
Originally Posted by Daveh
That is why I now just rebarrel Montana’s. I have owned three of Mel’s rifles and they are ok.

My MT with a PN barrel in 7-08 Ackley is 5-2 bare. Shoots 3/4” with three Hunting loads. I know that is more comparable to a model 20 but in real life on a scale I haven’t seen a 20 that light.
Plus there are no flies on the Kimber 84 design just Kimbers barrels, execution and CS...

I agree with the direction above...............once upon a time ULA/NULA was the only / best option in town, but that's just not the case today.

And there are a dozen stock designs that I like better for feel than the NULA stocks, especially the forearm.

I've got several light rifles that will shoot as good or better than any NULA ever built, one is as light, a couple are within a half-pound, & I didn't wait 18 months to get it, nor did I pay $2500 either.

MM
Posted By: gene270 Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 03/28/18
my model 20 weighs 6 lbs on the nose with rings and a scope that are adding an extra pound...it has a 21 inch barrel but wouldnt think 3 more inches would weigh more than 4 onces so maybe 5.4 lbs at most as a bare rifle...

as usual opinions will vary but i have never found a stock that firs me as well as a nula and i love the forend.....you guys that like the montana stock can thank Melvin for his help assisting kimber with that one.....

a rifle that shoots better than any nula ever built is quite a statement....
Honestly, when deciding between a Montana or a NULA the right answer seems to be the Barrett Fieldcraft. 5 to 5.5 pounds on a bare rifle in some decent chamberings. It is the successor to the Forbes and Barrett seems to have done things right.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by Daveh

I agree with the direction above...............once upon a time ULA/NULA was the only / best option in town, but that's just not the case today.

And there are a dozen stock designs that I like better for feel than the NULA stocks, especially the forearm.

I've got several light rifles that will shoot as good or better than any NULA ever built, one is as light, a couple are within a half-pound, & I didn't wait 18 months to get it, nor did I pay $2500 either.

MM

I would like to hear more about your great shooting light rifles. No sarcasm at all. I'm always interested in options.
Well if it’s like mine and my buddies I expect it will be back to Melvin for warranty work very soon.
Posted By: Daveh Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 03/29/18
[/quote]

MM

[/quote]

I would like to hear more about your great shooting light rifles. No sarcasm at all. I'm always interested in options. [/quote]

I have the PacNor barreled 7-08AI and a 6XC barreled by Scott Weichel with a Rock which is one contour heavier than stock that shoots 3/4” with several Hunting loads. Weighs 5-8 minus scope. A T3 barreled by Straight Shooter Custom in North Bend OR That weighs 6-1 in a McM Edge which shoots 1/2” with Nosler factory ammo. Then there is a factory T3 308 that is 6-3 that shoots 165 Hornady Black Ammo 1/2”.
Posted By: RBO Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 03/29/18
Originally Posted by cooperfan
Well if it’s like mine and my buddies I expect it will be back to Melvin for warranty work very soon.

No don't say that!!!

How long ago did you get yours and what was the problem?
Posted By: prose Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 03/29/18
Is anyone else having difficulty with their recently received NULA (Feb/Mar 18)? Having trouble getting consistent groups out of a 284 with anything but the lowest loads.
October '16 for my .308 order and still no word. Made the mistake of paying in full for it based on the 6-8 month delivery time promised. The 35 Whelen ordered a few months later obviously no word yet.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 05/10/18
I'm afraid we are seeing the end of era. Father time is catching up. First the Montana and now the Fieldcraft. Melvin isnt a spring chicken anymore either. If the Fieldcraft were even money (its not) it would still be stiff competition. We all have NULA and Melvin to thank for that. The legacy lives on.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 05/10/18
not sure what the issue may be but i have been able to get two forbes rifles reworked with new barrels and one nula re barreled and all have taken no longer than 6 months

remember every piece is assembled in that shop nothing comes already together and the stocks are pretty time consuming also no assembly line their thats for sure
Posted By: Brittdog Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 05/11/18

M20 .284 Win, Green with black web. the rifle arrived about a month ago but I just got around to mounting the scope. Won't be able to make it to the range for another week or so.

[Linked Image]
You are gonna love that 284. Just got a Model 28 300 Win back from Melvin he redid for me. Looks new. He's the master of his craft.
Posted By: DropTyne Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 05/11/18
My Forbes Model 24B 270 Win had set the bar for what a hunting rifle should be until I got my NULA Model 24 30-06 in December. You will be happy for sure.
Posted By: RBO Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 05/12/18
Update:

Still no rifle yet. I don't understand why it takes so dam long to cross the border???

You would think that with the extended wait times, like double the normal wait time, that at least once it finally arrives it's perfect. I sure hope I have no issues with mine when it finally gets here. With all the recent posts of poor quality I hope mine is of the "awesome" variety.
Ordered mine Sept 2016 and still waiting. Its a Model 24 .280 Rem.
the 450 marlin I currently have listed here in the classifieds took 2 years (dec 15-dec 17) the muzzleloader I have took from march 16-nov 17. the first rifle I ever ordered from melvin in 2013 took 3 months, it was a 6.5x284. he has had a hard time with his help. lost his lead machinist jan. 16 and had went through 3 before he got a trainable replacement (his learning curve has been the bulk of the delay). his painter had a heart attack and retired so a new painter had to hired and trained. he is getting on track but is about 90 guns behind and not taking orders until hes caught up which may be never...who knows
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 05/14/18
Originally Posted by DoeSlayer
Ordered mine Sept 2016 and still waiting. Its a Model 24 .280 Rem.

It'll be worth the wait........
Lawdwaz

Have you received you gun you ordered in Sept 2016 yet?
Doeslayer

Have you received your gun you ordered in Sept 2016 yet?
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 08/29/18
Originally Posted by turkey4090
Lawdwaz

Sorry about the confusion but I don’t have one on order. I do own 3 centerfire and one in-line ML’r all from Melvin.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 08/30/18
Originally Posted by turkey4090
Lawdwaz

Are you waiting on a NULA?
Posted By: petr Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 08/31/18
I sure want one. I like Melvin. What a great guy to talk rifles with. I like his rifles even more.

You guys post more pics of the rifles!

Ever since I read that MD's wife won the ugly rifle contest with one I have wanted one dearly. Best sales closing line of all time.
Posted By: Starman Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 08/31/18
Originally Posted by RBO
Update:

You would think that with the extended wait times, like double the normal wait time, that at least once it finally arrives it's perfect.
I sure hope I have no issues with mine when it finally gets here. With all the recent posts of poor quality I hope mine is of the "awesome" variety.

With the mention of MF losing one of his machinists and stock painter causing so much problem, ..does MF actually build any rifles himself?

IIRC part of what made NULA so special yrs ago was that a 'one man show' made the rifle a customer ordered.

....you guys that like the montana stock can thank Melvin for his help assisting kimber with that one.....

and those that like the weight and stiffness of NULA stocks can thank Dupont for Kevlar and the Co. that makes the carbon fibre sheet.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 09/01/18
i dont know that Melvin has ever been a one man show...for the 25 years i have been around his rifles he always had 3-4 people that i am aware of he even had a secretary at one point
Don't know what Melvin has done in the past,but I would think that quality would come more from one dedicated man making sure things are done right on a limited enough production, than from a one man show.
Posted By: Starman Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 09/01/18
I gather its how things have been worded in articles over the decades that made me think MF (at one point) did personally build
a customers rifle, including the action.

When the Forbes production rifle came about, MF was quoted as saying this in American Rifleman:

quote]...
"Forbes designed all the components and makes all of them for the NULA Rifles. But he sought out companies he trusts to fabricate
the lock and barrel, but not the stock, on Forbes Rifles. “If I’m going to make a lot of them, Mark, I just can’t do it all myself,” he said

The first full review I read of a NULA was an article from about 1990?..when the company was but only a few yrs young.
The impression I got was that MF got Douglas barrels in , but made the actions and stocks himself...but maybe the reviewer
and editor didn't word things correctly, which wouldn't be the first or last time pen pushers have done such.
Posted By: battue Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 09/01/18
i don't know that Melvin has ever been a one man show...for the 25 years i have been around his rifles he always had 3-4 people that i am aware of he even had a secretary at one point

Correct and if Melvin Forbes had to build every rifle personally only a couple would be made per year. His phone is constantly ringing with past customers and potential customers wanting to talk rifles or asking about building one.
Took me about a year and a half to get mine worked up a load and was very happy with the recoil and the groups i am getting out of it.
It is everything i thought it would be.
I did call Melvin quite a few times as I was told 6 months when i ordered it. Glad i have it and would not trade it.

300 win Mag
Yes been on order about 14 months. Have hunt planned in November and hope to have it by then...
turkey4090

Call Melvin and tell him your hunt is coming up and ask if you could get it in early October so you have a little time to develop a load. I bet he will say yes it is almost done then call him Oct 1st check status and he will get it out to you middle Oct.
Least thats about how it went for me. Squeaky wheel thing you got to call.
Got the call...rifle will be shipped next week. Thanks Fastback for advice. Called and three weeks later it was ready. Took 15 months from time ordered but know it was worth the wait!
Excellent, please post some pics when you get it.

Would anyone know how long it’s taking Melvin to do a rebarrel on one of his rifles, or has anyone had a rebarrel done recently? I was thinking about rebarreling one, but don’t want to wait two years for it to get completed. Thx.
Posted By: RBO Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 10/13/18
I received my rifle in May 18, ordered and put down a deposit December 16 but never finalized the details until February 17. So it was 18 months from deposit to delivery.

I haven’t spoken with Melvin lately, is he still taking orders?

Model 20 6.5 Creedmoor

I’ve tried factory hornady 129gr SST’s and 143gr ELDX, they got maybe 1-1/2” to 2” MOA, Winchester Supreme 129gr LRAB’ got me just under 1” MOA, so I tried Federal 140gr non-typicals, probably the cheapest factory hunting ammo available and shot one ragged hole, probably 1/2” MOA.

I loaded up some 143gr ELDX with RL26 and some 129gr LRAB with H4350 stretched out to 2.910, I’ll see if it’ll like any of those. With my model 24 280ai I have a load it likes with 150gr LRAB over IMR 4350

Model 24 on the left, 20 on the right.

[Linked Image]
Melvin is still taking orders. At least he was back in July. I ordered grandson a model 20 in a .260. I also had a family member send a couple of guns back to Melvin to be reblued and stocks repainted. Turn around time was about 3 months.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 10/13/18
i have had several forbes rifles updated by Melvin with new barrels and paint all have been right at 6 months
Posted By: Brittdog Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 10/15/18
Saw This thread come back up and thought I would post a couple of pics from some recent load work up.My NULA is living up to expectations.

.284 Win, 120gr TTSX, 48.5gr N150. I was hoping to get to 50grs but the groups fell apart at 49

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Also try 55 grains of IMR 4350 with a 140 grain Nosler Partition (yesterday's bullet today). Killed a lot of critters with my ULA Model 20 284 with that load and bullet.
Posted By: RBO Re: Anyone get a Nula lately? - 10/15/18
That looks like a great load, here’s my two best loads from the weekend with two different loads and powders. First time testing loads with this rifle.

143gr eldx 47gr RL26 2.910 oal

[Linked Image]

129gr LRAB 42.5gr H4350 2.910 oal

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire