Home
Posted By: Otter6 Kimber roulet part two. - 02/17/18
I must be living right. Got the new Classic 270 out today. Didn't have a lot of time,so I got it on the sticker with some Game Kings I have lots of. Then loaded 3 of the 150 BTs. Tried and true load. Good for rubbing the burs out of her with. Pretty happy camper. Now on to the Trophy bonded tip 130s I bought just for this project.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JackVliet Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/17/18
Good to hear! I think I'll play the game again as well, seeing how my own .270 is around a 1 inch
gun with most loads.

A montana sure sounds good!
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/17/18
I agree. Been wanting a Montana in 280 AI. Then this Classic came along and ate up the fun money.....for now.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/17/18
Even a broken watch is right twice a day.
Enjoy that. Hope you never need customer service.
You made a good spin at the wheel, enjoy your rifle and Keep us posted when you play "Kimber Roulette" again....Hb
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/18/18
Will do hillbilly. If I can skate through the Montana without issue,Ill be home free. This one shows promise. If I can get the Trophy Bonded Tip up to speed and under an inch,Ill be tickled.
Oh yes, I too would want it grouping under 1".......Good luck.....Hb
Posted By: K22 Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/18/18
I've enjoy playing Kimber roulette. To bad the gamble I take doesn't payoff in big dividends, I'd be rich. wink

Nice shooting Otter6 and nice Classic.
Posted By: qwk Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/18/18
Originally Posted by K22
I've enjoy playing Kimber roulette. To bad the gamble I take doesn't payoff in big dividends, I'd be rich. wink

Me too. Just got #13 a couple weeks ago. Once the weather clears, I'll see if I won again...
Posted By: Higginez Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/18/18
Originally Posted by ringworm

What kinda sound does a broken record make?
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/18/18
Originally Posted by qwk
Originally Posted by K22

Me too. Just got #13 a couple weeks ago. Once the weather clears, I'll see if I won again...

What did you get?
260. The caliber that started the roulette moniker.
I thought 7mm-08 started Kimber Roulette....Thats the chambering My buddie had his Montana nightmare with.......Hb
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/18/18
Originally Posted by Higbean

What kinda sound does a broken record make?

A stupid sound.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/18/18

totally agree on the customer service!!!
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I thought 7mm-08 started Kimber Roulette....Thats the chambering My buddie had his Montana nightmare with.......Hb

They discontinued both around the same time.
Originally Posted by qwk
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

đź‘Ť.......Hb
Posted By: Billy_Goat Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/19/18
glad to hear the new rifle is working for you. smile

My buddy Erik is looking for one in 280AI too.
Posted By: K22 Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/19/18
In all truth I never heard of a bad shooting Kimber until this website, but maybe I never paid attention to it. confused My first 2 Kimbers were Montana's and both were 204's and very accurate. One of them I barreled to a 17 Rem. They are perfect predator rifles for my style of hunting.
Later on I bought a Kimber Classic in 7 08, a very early one with a 4 digit serial number beginning in the 2000's. Damn good shooter with 139gr. Hornady's, but it did like to scratch brass and the feed ramp was a bit rough. A little polishing and it was fine. Bought a second 7 08 in the Classic Select model from a member on here that loves anything 120gr. and doesn't like 139's. Go figure. The first 7 08 I rebarreled to a 243 because I couldn't find a Classic Select in that caliber that the wood appealed to me. Also restocked it. Love it, 2 position safety and all.
My most recent centerfire one is a Classic in 30-06 and right out of the box it will impress you.
Just recently I bought one in 22lr. A HS model. Another fine shooter and I don't say that lightly. I am very picky on rimfires and accuracy.
So, as you can see, I love Kimber roulette.
Posted By: lastround Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/19/18
I’m convinced that the only folks who bitch about Kimber accuracy are those who thought they were buying a five pound bench rest rifle. They are hunting rifles for Pete’s sake.
Posted By: lastround Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/19/18
My 7mm-08 Montana will shoot one inch groups with 120 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips and 120 gr. Barnes TTSX’s, which is what I mostly hunt with anyway, but what if it only shot two inch groups? If the rifle is properly zeroed, that means at 100 yds. I am hitting one inch from point of aim. Extrapolate that out to 400 yds. I’m still gonna hit the basketball! And I think the number of folks who shoot at game animals at 400 yds. is a whole,whole lot smaller than those who don’t. And those who do shoot at that distance can probably be reduced even more if the word “should” is added, but that’s not a subject for this thread. Just my thoughts. Heck, even a three inch group places all shots within an inch and a half of POA at 100 yds. One could still hit the vitals of the average big game animal at 300 yds. And yes I do understand that none of us want a rifle that shoots three inch groups, but I’m just saying............... I have come to accept rifles that won’t shoot little bug holes, IF I like the rifle to begin with.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/19/18
Thats a very nice start.
I have three Montana's a 223,308, and a 7wsm, they all shoot 3/4 inch groups at 100.Planning on picking up a 7-08 in the near future. I like my odds of the way that will shoot.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/19/18
This Classic is my second. The other is a Select in 30-06. Both are 3/4" rifles. I just flat love the weight and feel of these things.
Posted By: Billy_Goat Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/21/18
Otter,

how soon do you expect to test those TBT's? I'm curious to hear how they do.

I sure like the spec's!

shane
Posted By: MCMXI Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/21/18
Originally Posted by qwk

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post but Kimber still offers the Classic, Hunter, Montana and Mountain Ascent 84Ms in 7mm-08 Rem. As to why the .260 Rem was such a failure is still a mystery. It's particularly odd given that the 6.5 Creedmoor has been and continues to be a big success for Kimber, and just about every other rifle manufacturer.
Posted By: qwk Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/21/18
Originally Posted by MCMXI
Originally Posted by qwk

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post but Kimber still offers the Classic, Hunter, Montana and Mountain Ascent 84Ms in 7mm-08 Rem. As to why the .260 Rem was such a failure is still a mystery. It's particularly odd given that the 6.5 Creedmoor has been and continues to be a big success for Kimber, and just about every other rifle manufacturer.

The 7mm-08 was brought back in late 2013. They didn't manufacture them for almost 5 years.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/21/18
Originally Posted by qwk
Originally Posted by MCMXI
Originally Posted by qwk

The 7mm-08 was brought back in late 2013. They didn't manufacture them for almost 5 years.

I have one of those second runs of 7-08's. I've been playing with the rifle about 4 years and am just now learning everything about it. I am now convinced that many of the accuracy problems associated with the rifles are both ammunition and shooter related. It's taken me many hundred rounds of ammo to both learn the rifle and find what it likes, but I finally have a load the rifle really likes. The difference between a load it doesn't like being shot incorrectly from the bench and a load it does like being shot correctly from the bench is staggering.

At first I had never shot a centerfire this light and both good groups and terrible ones had me shaking my head,ready to sell it several times but I kept at it,bedding the rifle,and even changing scopes and mounts a couple times to make sure. I have now repeated my findings enough to know exactly what I am talking about.

At 100 yards,if I shoot some factory load it doesn't like like the hornady superformance and let the gun free recoil,I could get a 3 shot group 6-9 inches across,just barely on a sheet of typing paper. My handloads of 41 grains will produce 2.5-3" groups when allowed free recoil. My handloads of 42 grains that it likes when using downward pressure to mitigate recoil will produce 5 shot groups of 1/2" to 3/4" at 100 yards. I repeated the theory again yesterday a few times producing several one hole groups with the right ammo held right as well as several that would have missed a basketball with the wrong ammo held wrong.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Kimber roulet part two. - 02/21/18
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat
Otter,

how soon do you expect to test those TBT's? I'm curious to hear how they do.

I sure like the spec's!

shane

Soon. Im working in Ohio for a couple days. Be home fri I figure. There are 5 in the loading block as we speak. Middle of the road RL17 charge.
© 24hourcampfire