Home

Just a simple question.
What would be the correct (most robust and fast target acquisition/Bear charge) sights to compliment my T3x.?

Thanks guys.

NVM..
I see they make ths Battue.
I would choose a "regular" SS lite, add a Talley base, fitted with their peep sight/ghost ring, then attach a front sight of your liking.

Ghost ring rear sights are a superior option compared to "regular" sights.

Or you could just get a Aimpoint...

[Linked Image]

I like your ghost ring idea.

Batteries and electronics concern me. Should they.? Remember, we are talking months out in the bush, with extremely coold temps. Plus, the rig getting a daily bounce and bang on the sno go.
best sights outside a peep. low powered scope and open sights- 3/32 gold bead Sights are by NECG.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 358wsm

I like your ghost ring idea.

Batteries and electronics concern me. Should they.? Remember, we are talking months out in the bush, with extremely coold temps. Plus, the rig getting a daily bounce and bang on the sno go.

My .02. I would go with a solid set of open sights of your choice, and avoid all the pitfalls that you described above. Batteries and cold will eventually bite you at some point. Open sights don't get knocked off very easily either. You might look for a tritium front sight that shows up well in darker conditions.
358WSM, what do you think about these that I put on my Ruger ? https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../my-21-ruger-african-9-3x62#Post12671063
Were it me, I would opt for a good old fashioned set of express sights- a wide shallow V rear coupled with a big fat in-your-face visible front bead, such as found on heavy caliber double barreled stopping rifles. That system has stood the test of time for ages in the hands of African hunters. Perfect example of the K.I.S.S. principle.
Whatever you select, make sure they are high enough to actually be used with that stock designed for scope use.

I like the sights on RGRX's rifle. I am also a fan of a peep that fits the rear scope base thus eliminating a rear barrel mounted sight.
Originally Posted by Northman
I would choose a "regular" SS lite, add a Talley base, fitted with their peep sight/ghost ring, then attach a front sight of your liking.

Ghost ring rear sights are a superior option compared to "regular" sights.

Or you could just get a Aimpoint...

[Linked Image]

The Aimpoint H2 is the way I would go. I want to emphasize Aimpoint however,not a knockoff lookalike. You can leave that sight on for over 10 years and it will work fine. You could pull the rifle behind your ATV and the sight would work. I wouldn't worry about the sight,and personally I fine an aimpoint or low power scope faster than open sights.

The other option I might try would be a 1-4 power scope with heavy reticle. When set up so it is in perfect alignment on a fast shoulder mount,such a scope is faster than open sights. You won't need to close one eye and you don't have to line up two points as with iron sights.

I've not shot a charging bear but I have shot many jumped deer in heavy cover with a 1-4 power scope set up correctly and they are as fast as shouldering your gun. I do emphasize set up right though,as your mounts have to be correct so there is no adjustment necessary to have a perfect view through the scope after a fast shoulder mount. When you set up the scope,mount the rifle several times fast with your eyes closed and then open them to see where the scope needs to be.
Although I nornally prefer peep/ghost ring sights, I can recommend the following for a "correct" solution:

I have one of the Tikka T3 Boar Hunter models that Cabela's had put together a few years ago as an exclusive. It has express style sights with a shallow V rear and a large white front bead (they look a lot like a Reckangel product). Even though they're meant for close and fast work, it was suprising to find they worked rather well with a 6 o'clock hold at 100 yards too. I've never tried the Battue version so I can't comment on those.

Google the "Tikka Boar Hunter" or "Sako Black Bear" for pics. They look like the exact same sights and may perhaps be obtailable as a Sako part from someone like Brownells or as a Reckangel part from NECG.

Hope this is helpful.

Some great options here.
Thanks for all the comments and the pics.
Originally Posted by MERWIN

Google the "Tikka Boar Hunter" or "Sako Black Bear" for pics. They look like the exact same sights and may perhaps be obtailable as a Sako part from someone like Brownells or as a Reckangel part from NECG.

Hope this is helpful.

Yes. That is what I am envisioning.

Thank you very much for encouraging me to google those.

Thanks Randy, on ALL accounts.
Originally Posted by z1r
Whatever you select, make sure they are high enough to actually be used with that stock designed for scope use.

I like the sights on RGRX's rifle. I am also a fan of a peep that fits the rear scope base thus eliminating a rear barrel mounted sight.

Good point.
Originally Posted by rj308
358WSM, what do you think about these that I put on my Ruger ? https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../my-21-ruger-african-9-3x62#Post12671063

Wow..!

Those look FAST.!
RGRX1276, That is a fine looking carbine you have there. What is the caliber?

Not him, but I believe he said "9.3"
Tikka makes their Arctic model with open sights and a rail for a scope. They made it for the Canadian Rangers and it looks like they are selling it commercially. This particular model is only available in .308 with a 20" barrel, but I'm wondering it you could get the sights separately? Might be worthwhile to ask.

One thing for sure, you'd have a hard time losing that rifle in the snow... wink

[Linked Image]

Link to T3x Arctic
Looking this over, I think that rear sight is made specifically for that rifle, it doesn't look infinitely adjustable.

Another thought, what is the hole spacing for scope bases? Mine both have scopes mounted or I'd check. If it is .860 which is common for scope bases, Skinner makes their "860 Reliable" rear sight which comes with .860 holes. It's low profile and rugged as hell. Mine will fit both a Winchester and a Ruger 10/22 receiver although in that flat topped Tikka you might have a hint of daylight under it. Combine that with a Lyman or Marbles ramp front of appropriate height which is pretty easy for a gunsmith to install and you'd have a very rugged and low profile set of sights.

Skinner also makes sights to fit the dovetail on rimfires, one of which works for a CZ. Again, you'd have to measure the dovetail (11 or 13mm I think) so one of those might fit the Tikka. he says if your rifle isn't listed on his website for them then don't ask, but if you're interested you still might email to ask what the groove spacing is on his various models.

[Linked Image]

And since I've been converting a bunch of rifles to use peeps, as already mentioned comb height is going to be your enemy. Most rifles these days are stocked for scopes, getting your eye down low enough to use open or peep sights can be problematic on lots of rifles. I can get my head low enough on a T3x stock to probably use a peep but my cheekbone is hard on top of the comb and you'd be looking out the top of your eye socket in any case.

Anyway, good luck. I grew up shooting peep sights and to my way of thinking they offer all kinds of advantages for a good hunting rifle, especially within 200 yards or so where most game is still shot.

Thanks Jim for all the input. I will look into those skinners.

Specs on the rifle;
SS Remington Short action that was trued.
barrel at 21"Brux #2
Palma 95 reamer for the chamber.
McMillan edge stock bedded.
Timney trigger.
Factory bottom metal.
NECG express sights.
Kampfeld side bolt release.
2 8-40 screws for the bolt handle.
6lbs-4 oz rifle
I can see the sights fine with the scope removed

10 shot group at 100 yards with LC 98 LR 175gr matchking... scope removed and replaced to check the mounting system and see if it would return to zero.

[Linked Image]

Bolt handle screws

[Linked Image]
I am assuming it is 308? Any way, Wow! Great shooting, and that is one Remington M700 that I would not be worried about the bolt handle coming off. Awesome rifle (and scope). RJ
Yep 308...It's wearing a 3-10 nightforce SHV Plex now.
© 24hourcampfire