Home
I've seen values for these guns all over the place. I recently came across a 30-06 Featherweight Stainless made in the South Carolina Plant. The barrels were stamped Baco INC Morgan Utah, but they were actually made in SC. From my understanding, these guns were only made here for a short period, but the quality was much better than the later made New Haven ones. The gun itself has been used. The barrel is mint, but the stock has a few nicks that have been touched up. I'd say 90% grade on the stock itself. What value would you place on this gun? I know I've rarely seen them come up for sale in standard calibers.
I'm stayin' outta this one.. smile
OK Redneck, I'll say it.

The BACO triggers really kill the interest of people who really know a great hunting trigger. See Redneck above.

The 5 and 6 digit Classic's from 1992-2002 are much more desireable.

Good news is, they can still be had if your patient. For the same or even less than a new BACO. For how much longer?

Good Shootin'
Browning arms co. .... it may not be desirable to some of us, but hes looking for value. Id say its probably worth 750. Maybe
I appreciate all the feedback, even if negative. I want to learn about the gun. I will say I've read guys that have had both and preferred the FN versions. To each their own I guess.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Browning arms co. .... it may not be desirable to some of us, but hes looking for value. Id say its probably worth 750. Maybe

$800 only if the stock dings had not been messed with. With an amateur attempt to touch it up, I'd say $650 max because you will need to strip and redo the stock or pay a professional.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I seen some of those sc made featherweights and the stock to metal fitting was not very good. Would definitely need to be bedded. Me personally wouldn’t give much more the $750 for one.. But guys see Winchester still don’t have clue they are no longer made in New Haven and slap $1000 price tags on them..
Originally Posted by andymick32
I appreciate all the feedback, even if negative. I want to learn about the gun. I will say I've read guys that have had both and preferred the FN versions. To each their own I guess.

Although the trigger isn't the old style, on the couple that I've owned and shot, the trigger is more than serviceable. To me, it's a lot of fuss over not a big deal. My biggest bitch with the BACO Featherweight rifles is actually the stock. At some point the stock gained some weight/girth in the foreend and grip area. I'm a much bigger fan of the New Haven Featherweight stocks. But like you said to each their own.

My guess is the gun will shoot good. I have yet to see one that won't but again, my sample is small. So far as value, I'd be thinking $600-700 or maybe a bit less just due to condition. But you're right, the values are kind of all over the place with them.

Best of luck,
Rob
I should note, I plan on using the gun to hunt whitetails with, it wouldn't be a safe queen, so it would gain some more nicks here and there. I'm not a collector, just appreciate the looks and quality of the gun.

Can anyone tell me how long these were made in SC? I've only ever even seen a few for sale that were produced there.
I just bought classic feather wieght 6.5 Swede for 650 bucks looks almost new with the bluing and it came with vx11 2x7 scope
Originally Posted by mooshoo
I just bought classic feather wieght 6.5 Swede for 650 bucks looks almost new with the bluing and it came with vx11 2x7 scope

Non-stainless?
I should note, I plan on using the gun to hunt whitetails with, it wouldn't be a safe queen, so it would gain some more nicks here and there. I'm not a collector, just appreciate the looks and quality of the gun.

Can anyone tell me how long these were made in SC? I've only ever even seen a few for sale that were produced there.

2007 to 2013 according to wikipedia.
Most guy's are guessing the value of this rifle much higher than I...$600-650 would be tops in My book from what you explained......Good luck....Hb
I have the same rifle as the OP questioned about. Mine is well put together, accurate with a number of factory loads as well as handloads, and the trigger is decent with a spring from Ernie’s. Its not a flyweight rifle, though called a “featherweight,” and maybe not as desirable as a New Haven 5 digit rifle, but a really good overall rifle. It is correct that they were only produced in SC for a few years before being discontinued for just blued featherweights, and having assembly moved to Portugal. The price has slowly been creeping up on them, but I’m sure the announcement of Win producing stainless featherweights with dark maple stocks, and stainless super grades scheduled for delivery later this year will stop any further increase in prices. Its still an all US made rifle, and that alone is desirable to some, and a nice rifle. It just matters if you like it, and if the price is reasonable to you.

Craig
Originally Posted by Rugerfan4374

2007 to 2013 according to wikipedia.

I have two Winchester model 70 “BACO” rifles: a blued Featherweight, and a blued Sporter. Both are 30-06. Nothing wrong with the triggers.

I’ve owned pre-64 version sporter ( early 1950’s vintage). I like the BACO rifles much better. They are very well made, and made/assembled in the USA.

Price of a stainless BACO? If it is $700-800, grab it. You’ll love it.

Can anyone name another rifle with the level of quality for the same price?
Originally Posted by buttstock
I have two Winchester model 70 “BACO” rifles: a blued Featherweight, and a blued Sporter. Both are 30-06. Nothing wrong with the triggers.

I’ve owned pre-64 version sporter ( early 1950’s vintage). I like the BACO rifles much better. They are very well made, and made/assembled in the USA.

Id buy a tikka
I have 3, 1 New Haven a 308 Win SS walnut featherweight and 2 BACO, SC produced SS Featherweights in 270 and 30-06. The BACO guns are FAR and AWAY better than the New haven gun in fit and finish, accuracy and trigger. And the New Haven gun is '94 production. I could not get that wonderful "pre-BACO" trigger on the New Haven gun below about 3.25 pounds and and still pass the butt bump test, where my BACO's are set at 2.5 pounds and the sears don't trip when given the same test. Technoman26, I am puzzled about the comment you made about the featherweight stocks gaining some weight/girth over the New Haven guns. My BACO stocks (both long action) weigh 1 and 1.5 ounces lighter than the New Haven guns (short action) stock. Maybe that difference is just wood density differences because all of thee stocks are factory hollowed out in the butt a'la featherweight style. I cannot tell any difference in the wrist and fore end girth when holding all three guns. Individual guns may vary, but this is my sample of three. RJ
Glad I am not the only one who thinks the later fwt stocks are a bit bigger in the hands. I like the earlier ones better, just my personal preference.

I'd buy a Classic Stainless, pre '03.
Originally Posted by winchester70

I'd buy a Classic Stainless, pre '03.

5 digit, yup.

I've owned at least eight of those or more over the years and it was no big thing to get it to shoot sub MOA.
Originally Posted by rj308
I have 3, 1 New Haven a 308 Win SS walnut featherweight and 2 BACO, SC produced SS Featherweights in 270 and 30-06. The BACO guns are FAR and AWAY better than the New haven gun in fit and finish, accuracy and trigger. And the New Haven gun is '94 production. I could not get that wonderful "pre-BACO" trigger on the New Haven gun below about 3.25 pounds and and still pass the butt bump test, where my BACO's are set at 2.5 pounds and the sears don't trip when given the same test. Technoman26, I am puzzled about the comment you made about the featherweight stocks gaining some weight/girth over the New Haven guns. My BACO stocks (both long action) weigh 1 and 1.5 ounces lighter than the New Haven guns (short action) stock. Maybe that difference is just wood density differences because all of thee stocks are factory hollowed out in the butt a'la featherweight style. I cannot tell any difference in the wrist and fore end girth when holding all three guns. Individual guns may vary, but this is my sample of three. RJ

In this post, you describe your inabillity to finetune a very good trigger. Perhaps one of the best hunting rifle designs ever produced. You also show us a lack of good judgement and poor eyesight. Its blatently obvious that the baco stock is a fat pig. Anyone with eyeballs that work, can see that. Your whole post is laughable at best..
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Glad I am not the only one who thinks the later fwt stocks are a bit bigger in the hands. I like the earlier ones better, just my personal preference.

There's no thinking about it. Lean a New Haven and a BACO up against the wall and you can easily tell the difference without even touching them.
Wow! You pre-BACO guys are a sensitive lot. BSA, I took another look at my rifles. One BACO and the New Haven stocks have been replaced with McMillan Edges, but I got the old stocks out and took a good look and feel of them. On that point you are right. The BACO does have a bit more girth in the wrist and fore end. However, the scales do not lie. My New haven stock is a bit heavier than my BACO stock. I suppose you could attribute that to more wood removed from the BACO because it is long action and the New Haven stock being short action. So, if you're judging by girth, I suppose the BACO is the "pig". If you are judging by weight, then the "pig", uh, that would be ,,,,,the New Haven.
Irreguardless of my good or poor ability to adjust a trigger, it is well known, due to trigger lever mass, that it is difficult to lighten the pull weight of a pre-BACO trigger below approximately 3 pounds and still pass the "bump test". Physics. I do not hate classic Winchester M70 triggers. If I did, I would have replaced it with a Timney. I owned an M70 in the 80's that I wanted a safe trigger pull weight of nor more than 2.5 lbs. I replaced the trigger with a Timney. I'm not slandering any ones preferences and opinions, I'm just stating mine. RJ
https://imgur.com/a/aKzuVQH

here's mine
Originally Posted by patbrennan

Count me as #3 or 4 or wherever I'm at in line in that category. It's not about weight, it's about how the rifle feels in your hands. I've got fairly large hands, typically a XXL glove so it's not like I can't manage the larger stock but I like a thin wrist and forearm designed stock for a hunting rifle I will shoot offhand at times. In Remington rifles I much prefer a Mountain Rifle pattern vs. BDL or Classic pattern for the same reason.
© 24hourcampfire