Home
I just fell into a great deal on a like new fieldcraft in 7mm-08, can’t believe no-one else on GB bid on it at the price I got it for, and was wondering what others are using for handholds in theirs that have one. I haven’t seen many mentioned in this caliber. I was thinking 120NBT for a nice lightweight deer load for my daughter.
That's sure what I would load if I had one.
No Barrett,but I use the 140 Accubonds in my Montana with a max load of Varget. I can shoot 30-40 rounds at the bench and not be bothered by recoil. Lots of folks like the 120BT and I'm sure they will work fine. I've shot 140BT's in .277 and I think I prefer the Accubonds for on game performance,though I would need more samples of each to say for sure. I do have more confidence in the bonded bullets.
120s or 140s should work well.

donsm70
I thought maybe the 140 NBT or Part or Speer GS 145 gr, I have a bunch. She won’t be shooting past 200 yds. Maybe just the Hornady 139 gr, deer don't need a premium bullet. But she is a thin tall girl, and I don't want to make her recoil shy.
120 gr BT for the win

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
120 gr BT for the win

[Linked Image]

thats way cool thanks for the pics
Nice, thats what I figured. I haven't shot any deer with them but I assume from all I have read about them here that they are hell for stout and are plenty for the shrub eaters.
If It handles recoil as well as my Montana,recoil won't be an issue whichever you choose. My 8 year old 70 lb son shoots the factory 139 Hornady Whitetail in mine and doesn't complain.Gives him a big grin.
I would shoot the 120gr at 2700ish fps. Should be nice and light and more than enough. That’s how I started with mine. Now shoot 120 ttsx at 3200fps.
Both the 120gr TTSX Barnes and the 120gr Nosler BT shoot great in my (not a Barrett but a NULA) 7mm-08.........RL15 powder. This buck was killed with the BT:

[Linked Image]

I would load the 120BT with RL15 and rock on. If compelled to use 140gr, I would move up to the Nosler AB. I would be more concerned with the Fieldcraft long length of pull for her. I wish this was an option. I can crunch up a lot better than I can stretch out.
I had her mount it to her shoulder and she is pretty good with the LOP, she has lanky arms. I will see how she does. If it doesn’t work for her, I’ll keep it myself if its a shooter, not that I need it, since I already have an ULA in 284 Win. but who really needs more than 1, just us loonies!

I just loaded up 20 rounds of 120 NBT with RL 16, I have 15 too, just thought I might give it a chance.
15 and 120 BT’s are like peanut butter and jelly no need to reinvent the wheel
I have one in 7mm-08 and one in 270. Got them late last year, too late for hunting season. Have only put 10 rounds through the 7-08 so far, factory Nosler BT ammo with 120 gr ballistic tips. Sighted it in and shot one group with it, which went well less than 1”, so the 120 bt should be a winner. The 270 was even more accurate with 130 gr Nos Accubond factory ammo with a couple of almost one hole groups.

For me, the rifle lop is a little long, and the Kimbers fit me much better, but to me, the Barrett is a much nicer rifle. Thinking of putting it, and my 270 Barret up for sale here, though I know I’ll kick myself for selling them, especially if I lose at Kimber roulette.
Mine shoots 120s incredibly well. It also shoots factory Hornady American Whitetail 139 interlocks well. Point of impact for my 120s at around 2950fps and the factory Hornady are almost identical at 100yds. I guess that’s a benefit of full length bedding. I was getting fliers with 140 partitions but didn’t really spend a lot of time with them because the 120s were working so well and they are my favorite load in the 7-08. I plan on working on some longer range loads with some 150 ELD’s when the weather breaks.
Thanks, I am looking forward to seeing how it shoots. I am a few rounds of various factory stuff to try also, weights from 120 to 150 gr. Then I can duplicate them with handholds if any of them are really accurate. But I do like to tinker, so I will bring what I already loaded to the range. I’ll post a range report with pics, hopefully later this week.
Good, looking forward to the report. Lots of powders out there (old and newer ones) that will work very well with 120 gr bullets. This thread is making me want to check GB more closely. Congrats on the good buy.
I have one and it likes most loads I have tried but really likes 140 AB with big game powder[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have a new, in box set of Talley lightweights, 1" , medium height mounts in the classifieds. I bought 30mm for my Barrett, now have these cant use

You made a great purchase, 7mm-08 is great!! Not sure what twist the Barrett comes with but any bullet will shine. Its an easy round to find a good load for.
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
! Not sure what twist the Barrett comes with but any bullet will shine. Its an easy round to find a good load for.

1-8
I’ve got a Forbes 7-08. It had a few issues that a $1,500 rifle shouldn’t have. But once I got them ironed out, it seems to shoot everything with boring excellence.
I’m hoping it shoots great, I have higher expectations for it than Forbes. Even though I know they sort of bought the rights for the same rifle. I’m hoping with Barretts reputation for quality and their QC, it will be a shooter. The fit and finish are excellent.
Originally Posted by lhead71
I’m hoping it shoots great, I have higher expectations for it than Forbes. Even though I know they sort of bought the rights for the same rifle. I’m hoping with Barretts reputation for quality and their QC, it will be a shooter. The fit and finish are excellent.

There was nothing wrong with the Forbes design. It was the execution when the company started cutting corners to speed up production that caused problems. The early Forbes were absolute tack drivers. I have one that is astounding. I too would expect the Barrett to be excellent.
I just purchased the same rifle in 6.5x55. I'll ditto the comments about fit and finish. Excellent! I mounted a Swarovski Z3 on it and only fired 8 rounds through it, the 140 Hornady SST's. That was really to only get it sighted in after having it boresighted. I've got some 130 gr. Sirocco's loaded adn ready for some load testing on Friday.

To the OP, I have a Remington 700 CDL in 7/08 and it loves 140 gr. Accubonds. That would be my go to bullet for that round.
Im thinking with the 3 inch mag box, I may try some 130 and 140 VLD’s also.
Anyone found a good factory load for the Fieldcraft 7mm-08’s? I have one and tried a couple different options in the 140gr range with zero love from my 21” Fieldcraft. Plan to load for it, but won’t have time to mess with it until after season. Have GA P 6.5 GAP 4s that was just delivered so it s going to take up my free time next couple weeks.

Want to buy a couple other options to try out, and if similar results, may just leave it in the safe till I can properly work up a load. It’s just so darn handy and light.
Originally Posted by WillAK
Anyone found a good factory load for the Fieldcraft 7mm-08’s? I have one and tried a couple different options in the 140gr range with zero love from my 21” Fieldcraft. Plan to load for it, but won’t have time to mess with it until after season. Have GA P 6.5 GAP 4s that was just delivered so it s going to take up my free time next couple weeks.

Want to buy a couple other options to try out, and if similar results, may just leave it in the safe till I can properly work up a load. It’s just so darn handy and light.

I got a finniky Kimber Montana in 7-08. The factory load it likes best is the Nosler Custom with 140 Accubond. I think It's excellent load if your gun shoots them well. I would also try the Nosler Custom in 120 BT. If it won't shoot either of those factory loads under 1",I would check all my scope and mounts,and action screws,and bedding. If it still won't shoot those loads,call Barrett.
If I had a FC 7-08, I think it'd have to give the 150gr Scenar a try. I've been very impressed with the 139gr Scenar out of a 260 Rem.
Originally Posted by WillAK
Any updates on finding factory ammunition the FC 7-08 will shoot well? I have been looking at a FC in 7-08, but I do not want to spend that kind of money and have a gun that is finicky about ammunition.
I have a barrett fieldcraft 7mm08. Was incredibly excited to get it and have been trying to find ammo it likes for several years with no luck. If something doesn't turn up soon that it likes I guess I will sell and go custom. What a shame.
Shoot me a PM dumbfhuqk.

Hint...........
Paging Big Stick,
Please report to the hunters campfire forum...
AuntSloppy,

Your VERY Tender Feelers,rate zero fhuqks to me. Congratulations?!?

Hint.....................
I have one.. Mine is the 21" version. I load the 145 LRX and the 150 Nosler LRAB with H4895. OAL with the 150 LRAB is 2.897". Will have to check my box of Ammo for the length with the 145 LRX. Both loads shoot into .75" or less with Velocities of 2750 fps +-. Very happy with mine so far. Right now it is wearing a Vortex Razor LH 3-15.. Killed one buck and two small hogs this past December in Texas. Those were shot with the 168 LRAB at 2535 FPS and performance was great.. Have shot it out to 600 on steel with good results.. Never plan on hunting with it at those distances..
Take advantage of the 8 twist and large mag box.

PM stick, he knows what is is talking about.
© 24hourcampfire