Home
Posted By: 66niteowl Bergara or Tikka - 03/05/18
I’ve got the fever for another rifle in 6.5 creed, looking at the Bergara woodsman and the tikka t3x, what say ye
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/05/18
Tikka T3x it will be lighter for one, I have never owned a Bergara but they are a little heavier by maybe a lb or more.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/05/18
Tikka, Talleys, SWFA, forget about it.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/05/18
Tikka by far if your talkin Bergara B14 but if your looking at one of the Bergara Premier series rifles id say Bergara.......Good luck....Hb
Posted By: mitchellmountain Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
I’ve owned tikkas and cannot argue with the weight and straight up ability to shoot tiny groups, sold them or traded them. They have the character of a ruger American. I now own a bergara woodsman, shoots tiny groups too, tad heavier but still very easy to carry and a lot more soul. I love it. It’s a personal preference and it functions just as well but a little heavier but I don’t t see me sending it down the road.

MM
Posted By: Sako Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
Tikka hands down
Posted By: 66niteowl Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
Thanks for the comments guys, I have a ruger American predator that shoots very well, but wanting to try something different
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
The Bergara Woodsman in 30-06 weighs 7.4lbs Bare rifle!......No thanks......Hb
Posted By: Remington280 Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
Bergara B14 woodsman
Posted By: seattlesetters Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
The Bergara is heavier but a much more aesthetically pleasing rifle that should shoot just as well. The Tikka to me is a great shooter that is matched by some cheaper rifles in accuracy, such as your Ruger.

Something different? Bergara all the way or a new Model 70 Featherweight in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
Compared the two rifles side by side and felt the Tikka was the better rifle and wound up buying the T3x. The Tikka trigger broke cleaner and had zero creep that I could feel. The Bergara trigger pull was noticeably heavier and had quite a bit of creep. The bolt operation on the Tikka also felt smoother in my hands. On a positive note for the Bergara, it does appear to be well built.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
Nothing is as smooth as a tikka.
The Bergara Premier series rifles are a different animal, they have extremely smooth actions but are much more spendy........Hb
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Compared the two rifles side by side and felt the Tikka was the better rifle and wound up buying the T3x. The Tikka trigger broke cleaner and had zero creep that I could feel. The Bergara trigger pull was noticeably heavier and had quite a bit of creep. The bolt operation on the Tikka also felt smoother in my hands. On a positive note for the Bergara, it does appear to be well built.

I will respectfully disagree on the trigger. In my experience( others may be different) I actually had the opposite. The bergara trigger was the nicest factory trigger I have had broke extremely crisp with no creep at all. Haven’t measured it but also a little lighter than my two tikkas. That being said the tikka triggers were not disappointing at all.

MM
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
I’ve owned tikkas and cannot argue with the weight and straight up ability to shoot tiny groups, sold them or traded them. They have the character of a ruger American. I now own a bergara woodsman, shoots tiny groups too, tad heavier but still very easy to carry and a lot more soul. I love it. It’s a personal preference and it functions just as well but a little heavier but I don’t t see me sending it down the road.

MM

Can you define"soul" into definable terms?
Posted By: crossotter Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
Ok so here's a happy story for ya, went to Cabelas to cash in my points on a Ruger American 6.5 creed, one on the rack had for end bearing on the barrei so the guy brought me one from the back,better stock,long story short ,I didn't check it ,he gave me a 6mm , took it back next dayhighly upset, manager fell all over himself apologizing, gave me a Bergera B14 and scope mounts as compensation, very happy with it . So far shoots 120s and 140 to same point of impact.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

MM

That phrase "rifles have no soul" always perplexes me. It's a freaking tool, not my identity.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
The Bergara Premier series rifles are a different animal, they have extremely smooth actions but are much more spendy........Hb

Loving mine thus far will bloody it this week in Texas. Action and trigger are superb
Posted By: WPAHunter50 Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
Any comments on the CZ 557 ? I see the 308 listed at 7.9 lbs. so I guess most would sat that they are too heavy.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
I was talking with a guy at the range the other day with a 6.5 Creed Bergara in a chassis. He was all excited about the way it was shooting with a 130 ELD and showed me a cartridge. It was seated WAY out and I asked if he was able to load from the mag. Nope. 2.94" COAL and was still 20 thou off the lands.

I asked him if it had a venturified shoulder as well, but he didn't get the joke.

Curious if anyone of you Bergara owners has seen similar?
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
I can kiss and fit mag in mine
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
Originally Posted by JGRaider

MM

That phrase "rifles have no soul" always perplexes me. It's a freaking tool, not my identity.

Those that don't see any difference in the feeling of having a rifle like the M70 Featherweight or nice Bergara in their hands versus a Tikka Lite always perplex me too.

They visit this site to talk about rifles, but they obviously don't like rifles the way I like rifles.

A tool? . . . . . Makes me wonder if they are visiting and posting on some hammer or miter saw forum when they aren't on 24HCF laugh

Posted By: Higginez Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I can kiss and fit mag in mine

That's good to hear.

Should mention that the fella was kind of a tool, and very well could not have a clue.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

Those that don't see any difference in the feeling of having a rifle like the M70 Featherweight or nice Bergara in their hands versus a Tikka Lite always perplex me too.

They visit this site to talk about rifles, but they obviously don't like rifles the way I like rifles.

A tool? . . . . . Makes me wonder if they are visiting and posting on some hammer or miter saw forum when they aren't on 24HCF laugh

This reminded me of a group of 4 aoudad hunters we had in camp a few years ago. It is very rough country, and one of these guys immediately started showing off his new S&B topped Blaser in 300 Win Mag, price tag around $10k. Wouldn't do anything my Tikka 695 wouldn't do, and at the end of his four day hunt it looked like a group of pit bulls had gotten ahold of it. The look on his face was priceless.

I have Tikkas, a McWhorter, A Hill Country, and they all do the same thing....deliver the bullet to the desired location. That's it. I get no warm and fuzzies carrying an L61r rather than a Tikka. Call me weird I guess.
What is soul in a rifle? All things being equal in performance, it’s the one that shows effort and thought to the visual appearance in the production of the rifle. The checkering, the lines in its shape, attention to grain and stain of wood. Ease of carry. A geo tracker and a Jeep Wrangler will both haul me from point a to point b down the road, I know which one I’m picking.

Mm
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18

MM

Yeah, rifles with "soul" are right up there with rifles or cartridges that are "sexy". Man there's some sick sons of b*tches that can find a rifle sexy.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18

This reminded me of a group of 4 aoudad hunters we had in camp a few years ago. It is very rough country, and one of these guys immediately started showing off his new S&B topped Blaser in 300 Win Mag, price tag around $10k. Wouldn't do anything my Tikka 695 wouldn't do, and at the end of his four day hunt it looked like a group of pit bulls had gotten ahold of it. The look on his face was priceless.

I have Tikkas, a McWhorter, A Hill Country, and they all do the same thing....deliver the bullet to the desired location. That's it. I get no warm and fuzzies carrying an L61r rather than a Tikka. Call me weird I guess.

That's all that matters, I absolutely love blued/great wood guns but if they don't shoot..................................El gono
Posted By: Shane431 Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
Tikka gets my vote! Much smoother action.
Posted By: elkaddict Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/06/18
After having trashed several nice wood stocked rifles in tough hunting conditions, I swore off purchasing another wood stocked rifle. I’ll take the accuracy, slick bolt, fine trigger and value of a Tikka any day. Funny thing is, and I know this is heresy, I’d prefer a Tikka to be a little heavier. I find a little more weight useful from both the bench and in the field. No, I’ve never hunted sheep. However, I’ve chased elk and mule deer through some tough country in UT, ID, WY, CO and Montana.
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Loving mine thus far will bloody it this week in Texas. Action and trigger are superb

Excellent! Enjoy what i have no doubt is a superb rifle......Hb
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/07/18
What is soul in a rifle? All things being equal in performance, it’s the one that shows effort and thought to the visual appearance in the production of the rifle. The checkering, the lines in its shape, attention to grain and stain of wood. Ease of carry. A geo tracker and a Jeep Wrangler will both haul me from point a to point b down the road, I know which one I’m picking.

Mm

This one’s got SOUL.

http://www.nicholscapguns.com/graphics/scrapbook/hubley/scout-rifle-gold-2.htm#

I’ll take function over art every time.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/07/18
Bergara all the way
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/07/18
Based on one Tikka, Tikka.
Posted By: 28lx Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/07/18
My choice between those 2 would be the rifle with the better chunk of wood on it. Both are accurate and have smooth actions.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/07/18
[quote=WhelenAway]

Not sure why you don't just have a handful of Ruger Americans. They're cheaper than Tikkas and shoot just as well?

And what are the McWhorter and Hill Country? Your safe queens?
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/07/18
Had two Ruger Americans. They shot pretty darn good, not like my Tikkas though, and the rotary magazines sucked. They got sold, and pale in comparison.

Safe queens? Surely you jest. The McWhorter 7-08 loves chasing muleys. The HCR 7mag culls aoudad.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/07/18
Nice, but still don't understand why you keep them.

After all, there are cheaper tools that do the same thing.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/07/18

I don't think cost is the most important factor here, rather functionality...
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/07/18
I can understand appreciating finer craftsmanship and better quality materials. I didn't know that meant soul. I actually didn't know what qualified as soul in a rifle. I do prefer finer made tools over cheaper made tools even if functionality is equal.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/07/18

Because I want to maybe ?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/07/18

MM

Ha ha... You got that right. Why be here if you aren't a "rifle looney", like the rest of us... However, I vote Tikka T3X Superlite...
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Bergara or Tikka - 03/07/18
Originally Posted by Blackheart

MM

Yeah, rifles with "soul" are right up there with rifles or cartridges that are "sexy". Man there's some sick sons of b*tches that can find a rifle sexy.

We could start a new thread on this subject...
© 24hourcampfire