Home
Posted By: Dogger X-Bolt "Synthetic Gray" - 03/09/18
GB has bunches of X-Bolts with the "synthetic gray" stock at sub $500 prices. Is that stock just a bow-wow? i am tempted just to get my hands on an X-Bolt... but wonder if that stock is a real dog and i will be spending more du$t to restock... if the accuracy is there, i would not bother restocking...
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: X-Bolt "Synthetic Gray" - 03/09/18
I had one a while back.

I think it is just the standard composite stalker stock without the soft-touch.

I did not think there was anything wrong with the stock. It seemed fine.
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
I had one a while back.

I think it is just the standard composite stalker stock without the soft-touch.

I did not think there was anything wrong with the stock. It seemed fine.

Yep, those rifle have a standard stalker stock without the Dura-touch finish, it should shoot excellent, I say go for it and good luck with your new toy 👍......Hb
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: X-Bolt "Synthetic Gray" - 03/09/18
Anyone know the current rebate from Browning on the X-Bolt?
Posted By: jsj127 Re: X-Bolt "Synthetic Gray" - 03/09/18
10% of purchase price through March 31.
With the problems they have had with dura-touch, you're probably better off without it. If you don't like the gray color, have it dipped, painted, wrapped, etc. I'd say go for it and I'd make a good wager it will shoot sub-moa......
Posted By: ajmorell Re: X-Bolt "Synthetic Gray" - 03/09/18
Supposedly they've improved or resolved the Dura-Touch peeling and discoloring issues, but I agree that you're probably better off without it. I'd all but guarantee that gun will shoot. My experience with my X-Bolt has been positive enough that I intend to buy another in the near future.
Yeah man, dip that bastid in some cool camo pattern, an excellent idea 👍👍.....Hb
Posted By: 28lx Re: X-Bolt "Synthetic Gray" - 03/10/18
I bought 2 of them the end of last year off GunBroker when Browning had the $75 rebate going. One in 22-250 and one 6.5 Creedmoor no complaints both shoot under MOA.
Don’t they have a 26” tube, no matter the caliber?

Todd
Posted By: 28lx Re: X-Bolt "Synthetic Gray" - 03/10/18
No they aren't all 26"
Okay, thanks.

I was in gunbroker looking at Xbolts recently and came across a search somehow that was “Xbolt synthetic gray” and all the chamberings had a 26” barrel, even for 308 win and 270. I thought it was odd. Makes sense they aren’t all like that.

Todd
Posted By: kazijoy Re: X-Bolt "Synthetic Gray" - 03/10/18
I bought a 280 Rem here for $400. It has a 26" bbl and the gray stock. It is rechambered to 280AI and shoots sub moa groups at speeds that tromp on the 22" 7mmRemMags.

Only issue was modifying the mag to handle the AIs. Can only get 2 in it, so it's a 3 shot rifle.
Posted By: CP Re: X-Bolt "Synthetic Gray" - 03/10/18
I purchased a stainless/walnut X-bolt Hunter and decided to put it in a synthetic stock. I called Browning Parts in Arnold, Mo. and purchased the gray stock to avoid any potential Dura-touch issues with the black ones. My gray stock looks and feels a little cheap, but it is really a darn sturdy, light and functional factory handle. CP.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: X-Bolt "Synthetic Gray" - 03/10/18
I have a Synthetic Gray X-Bolt, in .30-06- one of the most accurate rifles I own. There is nothing wrong with the stock, it's bedded and free-floated, It is, however, pretty plain. I had mine painted by one of our Fire members, and it is a great improvement, not bad looking at all for a synthetic. They are great rifles, IMO.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: X-Bolt "Synthetic Gray" - 03/10/18
I was eyeballing those too and was wondering about the stock. It's a great deal with the rebate. I read they were a shot show special a couple of years ago.
Posted By: Dogger Re: X-Bolt "Synthetic Gray" - 03/12/18
stopped by Cabelas today. handled an X-bolt with the dura-touch stock. nice ergos. dura-touch stock. did not notice which X-Bolt it was... has a ported barrel,,, which i don't want. impressed with the overall handling. i could see myself owning one.
Posted By: Highoctane Re: X-Bolt "Synthetic Gray" - 03/12/18

Ive been looking at these as well. Tremendous deal with 10% back and free shipping... That 280 Rem with 26 in bbl would be sweet. The 308 with 26 in bbl would be quite awesome as well....Does anyone know off-hand what the twist rate would be on the 308? 1-12 maybe?
Posted By: old_willys Re: X-Bolt "Synthetic Gray" - 03/14/18
I looked at a 26 Nosler on GB and had questions about what the X-Bolt "Synthetic Gray" stock. For $499 and 10% off sounds like a great deal on a 26 Nosler!
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: X-Bolt "Synthetic Gray" - 03/14/18
They had a $75 rebate 6-months ago when I bought mine.

28 Nosler.
I have one of these in 280. It came bedded from the factory and consistently shoots less than MOA.

I have had and sold, one at a time, a synthetic stocked Remington 700 ADL in 243, Marlin XL7 in 270, TC Venture in 270, Tikka T3 in 270 and Savage Axis in 270. Being long and lanky and liking to do custom camo paint jobs on these plastic stocks, I had the recoil pad off of each and every one of them. And the thickness of the stock plastic on each and everyone of them was about 1/3 the thickness of the plastic of the Browning X-bolt stock. That was a pleasant surprise when I pulled the Inflex Recoil pad off the x-bolt. Stiffer, quieter stock because of that extra thickness. Was also very easy to cut a piece of black walnut on the band saw and create a spacer to increase the LOP a bit, unlike the other guns. All things considered, I rank this gray stock at the top of the synthetics I've worked with. And in general, the gray x-bolts are one of the best values going, imo.
© 24hourcampfire