Home
Posted By: Buzzsaw Fierce Rifles - 03/14/18
I know the name sux but has anyone owned one of these rifles? I saw one at Cabelas yesterday, 6.5 Creedmoor of course, but it had a light Tan stock, VERY good looking rifle. Wondering if these will get under .75 MOA groups??
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/14/18
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
I know the name sux but has anyone owned one of these rifles? I saw one at Cabelas yesterday, 6.5 Creedmoor of course, but it had a light Tan stock, VERY good looking rifle. Wondering if these will get under .75 MOA groups??

Knockoff of a Sako 85. I like the Christensen Arms better then it and the Mesa is considerably cheaper. I would also look at a Sako A7 or Tikka T3x Superlite if I wanted a rifle that would most probably outshoot the Fierce.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/14/18
Buzzsaw,

I recently tested a Fierce in 6.5 Creedmoor, trying two factory loads, and three handloads that were NOT worked up for the rifle. Instead they were loads that had shot well in other 6.5 Creedmoors. The largest group was .7 inch, and the rest measured from .47 to .61.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/14/18
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Knockoff of a Sako 85. I like the Christensen Arms better then it and the Mesa is considerably cheaper. I would also look at a Sako A7 or Tikka T3x Superlite if I wanted a rifle that would most probably outshoot the Fierce.

While the action is similar to an 85 it has many differences from the Sako. I wouldn't crumb one until you have shot one. It is a very different rifle from Tikka T3x. It is a very comfortable rifle to shoot and easy rifle to shoot well.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/14/18
Originally Posted by kaboku68

While the action is similar to an 85 it has many differences from the Sako. I wouldn't crumb one until you have shot one. It is a very different rifle from Tikka T3x. It is a very comfortable rifle to shoot and easy rifle to shoot well.

No dovetails, what are the other differences aside from custom barrel and custom stock? I spent quite a while looking at one . Fierce Fury was the model
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/14/18
I had a fury in 300wsm and another in 7 Sherman short. Both of mine routinely shot under 3/4” 5 shot groups though the 7 admittedly had better barrel etc.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/15/18
How do the Fierce rifle's do with ejecting spent cases?......Hb
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/15/18
There wasn't any problem with the rifle I tested, an Edge in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/15/18
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
How do the Fierce rifle's do with ejecting spent cases?......Hb

Both of mine held March 3-24’s and never had an issue. It appears the ejection pattern is a bit flatter then the 85’s. Lots of guys say the Fierce is a sako knock off and it has some similarities but also has many differences.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/15/18
I heard that upon ejection it hits the scope?
Falling back into the action.
T or F?
I called Fierce and asked if they had addressed the ejection issue that plagues the Sako 85 action and the Rep told me that they did fix the issue with their rifle but he did not elaborate on what they did, I handled a Fierce Fury at My local Cabelas and noted that it still has the 6 o'clock fixed blade ejector so I really dont know what they might have done to address the issue........I am mighty tempted to try one in .300 Win though and find out ...lol.....Hb
Posted By: bh444 Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/15/18
I would guess a new extractor and a stronger spring.That's all the SAKO needs.
It seems to me that the ejector blade would have to be relocated, not in the 6 o'clock postion before a spent case would eject properly but i am no engineer.....What do you think needs to change on the extractor?......Hb
Posted By: Adams Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/17/18
3 times I've called and talked to two different guys at Fierce. Both were very nice guys and willing to spend some time talking to me. Both have claimed they have fixed the ejection problem. I asked one of guy's how they fixed it and he told me they made the ejection opening larger. I'm not sure how that would help but I'm not an expert on it. Or if they have fixed it maybe they don't want to share their secret. I know I just off loaded a brand new unshot sako 85 finnlight. I tested it for ejection problems before firing it and found unless you were willing to use a high scope mount it was going to hit the turret.

So after talking with one of Gentlemen at Fierce I asked him the following: If I send you my scope will you mount it and check to make sure it doesn't hit the scope, the turrets, or the gun. He said if I sent my scope to them they would do just that. He guaranteed me that wouldn't happen. I also asked because it is wsm that I want them to test for feeding issues he said no problem.

I also sent a letter with my scope that if ejected casings were hitting the scope, turret, or gun, don't bother sending the rifle to me just send back my scope. If all rounds didn't feed flawlessly don't bother sending me the rifle.

We'll see. My scope arrived Yesterday. When and if the rifle comes into the my FFL I will check for all these issues. If it doesn't pass these tests I pull my scope and not except the rifle and have sent right back to them.

They seemed to be honest knowledgeable guys. I hope it works out for me. However it works out I will share my experiences about them. So far I would say they have been good but anxiously awaiting to see what happens.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/18/18
Wow Adams! That is some excellent info, The guy I talked at Fierce was very patient and answered all My questions and he seemed very knowledgeable but when I asked if they had addressed the Sako ejection issue all he said was yes they did but he didnt offer an explanation as to how they fixed it....I cant wait to see if you get your rifle, that was an excellent move sending Fierce your scope, this should be good, keep us posted ASAP please.....Good luck....(300 Win is the cartridge I am considering in a Fierce Fury) ......Hb
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/18/18

No dovetails, what are the other differences aside from custom barrel and custom stock? I spent quite a while looking at one . Fierce Fury was the model

What’s this oldelk???? You making comments about a rifle you’ve never owned or shot only held..”Call’n your kettle black” hypocrite! LMFAO...
Posted By: Shag Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18
I was surprised at weight of the Fierce. (heavy) Is it true an ex-Christianson employee started up Fierce. I'll pass and save for a Barrett.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18
Originally Posted by Shag
I was surprised at weight of the Fierce. (heavy) Is it true an ex-Christianson employee started up Fierce. I'll pass and save for a Barrett.

You don't like Christensen?
Posted By: Shag Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18
I do and looked hard at the Mesa. But Im liking the longer Mag box in the lighter Barrett. Like the Christensen better than the Fierce.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18
Originally Posted by Beaver10

What’s this oldelk???? You making comments about a rifle you’ve never owned or shot only held..”Call’n your kettle black” hypocrite! LMFAO...

I have been around exactly 4 fierce fury’s, owing 2 myself and never seen ejection problem 1 with any of them. My first was a 300wm and it shot 208Amax and 200 eld-x’s marvelously. The second was a 300 wsm that shot the 155 scenar pretty well. Happened into a 7mm blank for dirt cheap and turned it into a 7 Sherman short which pinned 180 bergers and eld-m’s like a son of a bitch.

Not the lightest rifle but the accuracy has more then made up for it. Only Christensen I have been around was a 300wm I bought back when they only offered lightened R700’s and t wouldn’t shoot anything but 150 tsx’s Under 1”. I’m sure they have improved now.
Posted By: Shag Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18
Barrett
Posted By: Shag Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18
You like 300wsm's? Two most baad azzed 300wsm's Ive every seen shoot were Sako A7's
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18
I had a Sako A7 stainless in .300 WSM that shot great, I also had two A7 Stainless in .300 Win that were tackdrivers....I wish I would have kept at least 1 of those excellent rifles....Oh well.....Hb
Posted By: Adams Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/10/18
Well received my scope on Monday. No gun
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/10/18
That tells us plenty right there....you did good sending your scope/mounts in for them to try, sounds like the dreaded straight up ejection issue lives in the Fierce rifle as well.......Hb
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/10/18
Originally Posted by Adams

What kind of money were you going to spend on that rifle? What caliber,or calibers were you wanting? I'm thinking there are good accurate rifles available in that price range without ejection issues.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/10/18

Plenty of nice rifles around to pick from.
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/10/18

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12785832/fierce-vs-sako-85

The Action IS a direct knockoff of the Sako 85. The 2 big differences are that the Fierce doesn't use the Sako Dovetails and you don't have to push up on the magazine to get it to drop. Look at the 2 bolts, most probably won't know which came from which rifle.

My Fierce is VERY accurate, shoots bugholes when I hold it well. I like the magazine release in the Sako better, the stock is going to be personal preferences the Fierce is probably the better more stable stock though.

I think the ejection issues are likely more myth than reality. For whatever reason some people can't seem to get the idea that How Fast you work the Bolt makes a BIG Difference with a FIXED EJECTOR! :-)

I got a good deal on My Fierce. It's a very nice rifle but I own quite a few more Sako's and prefer them overall....................DJ
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/11/18
DJ, I wish I loved a rifle as much as you love your Sako's..........Hb
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
DJ, I wish I loved a rifle as much as you love your Sako's..........Hb

Ain't Nuthin like the Real Thing! :-D

I have to admit as much as I love my Sako's there are others I cheat on them with. Mausingfields come to mind...............dj
Posted By: Adams Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by djpaintless

I think the ejection issues are likely more myth than reality. For whatever reason some people can't seem to get the idea that How Fast you work the Bolt makes a BIG Difference with a FIXED EJECTOR! :-)

I got a good deal on My Fierce. It's a very nice rifle but I own quite a few more Sako's and prefer them overall....................DJ

Not sure if you're joking or not. If not please don't mislead people on Sako 85's and Fierce's. If joking sorry! I think if you're using this rifle or a Sako 85 for the range you're fine. If plan on using either for hunting I recommend reading this entire thread.
I own a few Sako 85's and have taken some nice game with them. I haven't hunted with the Fierce yet. I haven't had a single ejection problem with any of them or my Fierce. I pull the bolt back fast the cases fly out. If I'm on the bench I pull it back slow so I can grab the shell off the bolt. Just haven't had an issue with any one of several rifles.........................
Posted By: handwerk Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/11/18
DJ, glad to see you back, hope you've been well!
Originally Posted by handwerk
DJ, glad to see you back, hope you've been well!

Thanks handwerk! Went through some stuff but Life is good and better than ever. All the best to you too. :-)
Posted By: shootem Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/11/18
I think the ejection issues are likely more myth than reality.

Wrong. Ignorance can truly be bliss.

For whatever reason some people can't seem to get the idea that How Fast you work the bolt makes a BIG difference with a FIXED EJECTOR! :-)

Yeah, I guess those words of wisdom deserve that precious little smiley face but nothing more. You don't know what you're talking about. Somewhere off in the wilds of New York City there's probably a people or two that have no idea how a standing ejector works. But closer to home I can guarantee there's a people on this thread that doesn't know how a standing ejector located at the 6 o'clock position on the bolt face works. Take a look at the bolt face of a 94 Winchester. Ejector at 6 o'clock. Unencumbered brass ejects straight up. Remind you of anything? For some reason a Sako design engineer decided to create a problem to solve; a boring life in need of challenge I suppose. Sometimes their solution works, sometimes not. The design sucks for a bolt rifle designed for use with a scope. That a start up company, to whom cash flow must be considered critical, would choose to copy such a design is beyond belief.

But let's give your assumption a momentary pass. Does it really make sense to design a rifle whose ability to successfully eject a spent case is dependent on precise bolt speed? Of course not. A bolt freakin action rifle needs to eject that case whether the bolt is jerked back in mad panic or purposely timed to lay said case mildly on the bench alongside the rifle every time on every rifle. The Sako 85M and clones fail this requirement.

Splendid post other than these minor disagreements.
Originally Posted by shootem
I think the ejection issues are likely more myth than reality.

Wrong. Ignorance can truly be bliss.

Ignorance may be bliss but experience is the best teacher. For whatever mystical engineering reason all 5 of my Sako M85's feed absolutely perfectly ejecting the shells right out the middle of the ejection port as does my 1 Fierce Fury rifle. The speed of such ejection is dependent upon the alactrity with which the bolt is operated. Which of course begs the question do you personally own a Sako M85 or a Fierce rifle that you have had feeding problems with?

Somewhere off in the wilds of New York City there's probably a people or two that have no idea how a standing ejector works. But closer to home I can guarantee there's a people on this thread that doesn't know how a standing ejector located at the 6 o'clock position on the bolt face works. Take a look at the bolt face of a 94 Winchester. Ejector at 6 o'clock. Unencumbered brass ejects straight up.

You don't have to put yourself down to quite such an extent. I think anyone that takes a good long look at the boltface of a 94 Winchester is going to realize that the reason a model 94 ejects straight up is in large part directed by the fact that the EXTRACTOR IS ON TOP OF THE BOLT.

........................dj

Not sure if you're joking or not. If not please don't mislead people on Sako 85's and Fierce's. If joking sorry! I think if you're using this rifle or a Sako 85 for the range you're fine. If plan on using either for hunting I recommend reading this entire thread.

Heck no DJ aint joking, he maybe the biggest Sako fan on the fire......Hb
Posted By: shootem Re: Fierce Rifles - 04/11/18
About the 94, an ejector at the 6o'clock position on the bolt face is in perfect position to push a case or cartridge straight up. Putting it there is asking for trouble. Like I said, somebody in engineering created a completely unneeded problem to solve. And yes I had a 85M, 30-06, 1" tube scope, medium Leupold rings. Plain vanilla. Ejected case hit the bottom of the scope tube every time.

I spent a fair amount of time observing the failure fast, slow and in between. I understand precisely the factors involved and how the problem occurs as well as how one might force a bad design to work most of the time. No "myth". You'll find a lot more knowledgeable riflemen that have experienced the exact or similar issue if you take the blinders off. Has nothing to do with experience or how we cycle the bolt. Matter of fact I know a hell of a lot more about the design, it's shortcomings and how it is forced to be marginally successful than you do. A while back I wrote an explanation of all this here and will not do so again. Beretta tried to engineer their way out of a failure waiting to happen. Apparently it works most of the time but fails a lot and they refuse to take responsibility. Facts and rational explanations are abundant if you search.

Just for future reference you may want to hold off on accusing folks, with more personal knowledge of the situation than you, of falsifying failures and being ignorant of how a bolt action receiver operates. Doesn't set well.
Shootem, do you have a favorite action? I know it has a 90 degree bolt lift (which i hate) but I am thinking the Mod 70 action maybe the best.......Hb
About the 94, an ejector at the 6o'clock position on the bolt face is in perfect position to push a case or cartridge straight up. Putting it there is asking for trouble. Like I said, somebody in engineering created a completely unneeded problem to solve. And yes I had a 85M, 30-06, 1" tube scope, medium Leupold rings. Plain vanilla. Ejected case hit the bottom of the scope tube every time.

I spent a fair amount of time observing the failure fast, slow and in between. I understand precisely the factors involved and how the problem occurs as well as how one might force a bad design to work most of the time. No "myth". You'll find a lot more knowledgeable riflemen that have experienced the exact or similar issue if you take the blinders off. Has nothing to do with experience or how we cycle the bolt. Matter of fact I know a hell of a lot more about the design, it's shortcomings and how it is forced to be marginally successful than you do. A while back I wrote an explanation of all this here and will not do so again. Beretta tried to engineer their way out of a failure waiting to happen. Apparently it works most of the time but fails a lot and they refuse to take responsibility. Facts and rational explanations are abundant if you search.

Just for future reference you may want to hold off on accusing folks, with more personal knowledge of the situation than you, of falsifying failures and being ignorant of how a bolt action receiver operates. Doesn't set well.

Since you are so convinced of your own personal genius on the subject not really much point arguing with you. Sorry your M85 didn't work. All of mine have..........
Posted By: d500lnn Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/28/21
[quote=Buzzsaw]

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12785832/fierce-vs-sako-85

The Action IS a direct knockoff of the Sako 85. The 2 big differences are that the Fierce doesn't use the Sako Dovetails and you don't have to push up on the magazine to get it to drop. Look at the 2 bolts, most probably won't know which came from which rifle.

My Fierce is VERY accurate, shoots bugholes when I hold it well. I like the magazine release in the Sako better, the stock is going to be personal preferences the Fierce is probably the better more stable stock though.

Sounds more like a 75 than 85 with only difference being the dovetails on top. The 75 mag release is just like the fierce. I asked a buddy of mine who’s been with Beretta USA for 17 years and he doesn’t think or has not been confirmed to him they build actions for fierce. Regardless, this is an exact clone of the 75/85 Sako action. Zero doubt about it. I can’t believe Beretta or Sako stand for it?
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Fierce Rifles - 05/28/21
Look at their test targets, their cold bore shot is usually way off, not good!
© 24hourcampfire