Home
I've had several rifles that shot this stuff light out good, including my current Tikka 6.5 Creed (140gr soft point).

Question.......what/who's soft point bullet is used in this ammo?
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I've had several rifles that shot this stuff light out good, including my current Tikka 6.5 Creed (140gr soft point).

Question.......what/who's soft point bullet is used in this ammo?

I believe they are Speer's bullets.
Finding 6.5 Blue Box at Academy? I need to hunt some down too...
I always thought they were Speers but haven't been able to confirm
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Ag, it's the Federal Non Typical stuff, 140gr SP's. I was told it is the same thing as Fed blue Box in a different package.
Just makes sense they would be Speer's from a business sense, but doesnt add up in my mind.

First off the run of the mill Hot Cor's are not the most accurate Cup-n-core IMO. I think Sierra and Interlocks have an edge in accuracy, yet the blue box stuff shoots very good.

2nd, the blue box bullets have a more blunt tip than the comparable weight hot cor's Ive seen.

I think they are possibly Speer manufacture, but of a non-cataloged bullet. So not Hot-Cor's. Would love to know for sure. Maybe MD has some insider info.
TomM1, you're most definitely right about the blunt tips. There's no lead tip showing in the 6.5 NT ammo, or the regulation Blue Box 30-06 ammo. They look the same.
I have wondered the same thing and a few of My buddies have told me they use Seirra bullets in Fed blue box ammo, but I dont know for sure.....just for chits snd giggles it would worth the effort to call Federal and axe 😀......Hb
Federal has loaded Speer HC in their blue box line, but it always says so on the box. Not sure what the bullet is, but it’s damn accurate ammo.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Ag, it's the Federal Non Typical stuff, 140gr SP's. I was told it is the same thing as Fed blue Box in a different package.

Yes and it shoots great from my Creed also
I bet JB knows but ain’t sayin’.......grin
Thought I saw on another thread they were Gamekings.
Originally Posted by 16bore
Thought I saw on another thread they were Gamekings.

This what I have been told by a buddy or two that I trust but not officially from Federal guy......Hb
Are we talking Gamekings or Prohunters? Gamekings are boat-tail bullets and I am pretty sure federal doesn’t use these in the blue box loads when they use this bullet in their premium hunting line. Prohunters are flat-based, but the blue box bullets that I’ve shot don’t look like Prohunters. Closest resemblance to me is the Win Power Point.
My best guess is that they are Federal bullets made by Federal for their factory ammo. I know the 100 grain .243 bullet is not a Sierra, Speer or Hornady bullet and the 170 grain .30-30 is definitely not a Speer, Sierra or Hornady. Both of those bullets/loads are very accurate in my rifles and are very good at killing deer.
Kinda think your right, though wish they did sell them as components. They seem to shoot better than the premium Speer bullets.
The 30-06 220g specifies they are Speer hot core bullets. Seems like if they were all Speer it would say so.
The 130 gr 270's are great bullets and very accurate. Killed a trainload of deer with that load in the 270.
love the blue box ammo
Just bought an old Colt Coltsman (Sako L579) in .308, first trip to the range I used some Federal 150s. First three shot group at 100 went into just under 1/2”. Good stuff, shouldn’t have any problem getting a deer with that combo.

Old70
old70,

I've seen the same with the 150gr Blue Box .308. Cheap sleeper load grin cool

Jason
I’m not a marksman by any means. Christmas Eve 2016 saw me at the range sighting in a rifle I just bought from my brother. It was a Remington 700 CDL in 300WSM topped with a Leupold VX3. I bought a box of Federal blue just to sight it in, had about 5 boxes of Federal Partitions that came with the deal that I didn’t want to waste.

It was raining cats and dogs, pouring down, I was soaked setting up a target. I had to rush because driving in we seen the water was up at the creek getting ready to cross the road. The target below explains it all. I haven’t been back to the range with it since then. Six shots total at 100 yds. This rifle loves the Federal blue.

[Linked Image]
I'd not touch that CDL in any way....lol. Just buy a case of blue box.
Sierra makes lots of "contract" bullets that never get to a green box. I know that they've sold some to Federal in the past, but I don't know if they still have contracts to do so. They sold a flat-based .308" 165gr. (ProHunter) to Federal for the 'red box' ammo, because I asked them (on a plant tour) to sell me some, and they wouldn't, because they were strictly for that contract.

I'm sure they make other bullets for other contracts, too. I know they've supplied Fiocchi and S&B, also.
Originally Posted by mooshoo
love the blue box ammo

Count me in on that statement. Every rifle that I have shot them in have shot them from good to outstanding. My .280 loves the stuff, my .243 did too.
I ended up w/about 50 of the bullets like the blue box ones in 338. No lead exposed at the end just a little dimple. That's what I'm going to use for sight in and break in on my 338-06 that's coming. They do have a cannelure but a sweet looking bullet. powdr
© 24hourcampfire