Home
Posted By: 358wsm 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/17/18

If you were to have JESS do your rebore to .338" which number of groove would you run..3, 4, 5..?
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/17/18

Posted By: trplem Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/17/18
If there's any difference in price, whichever is cheapest. I've gotten good accuracy out of 2-5 groove rifles.
Originally Posted by trplem
If there's any difference in price, whichever is cheapest. I've gotten good accuracy out of 2-5 groove rifles.

I agree, land and groove count has no effect on accuracy, you just need a good job.
Posted By: 358wsm Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/17/18
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

I agree, land and groove count has no effect on accuracy, you just need a good job.

I believe JESS is known for doing quality work. Yes..?
Posted By: pabucktail Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/17/18
99% seem to like his work. I'm pleased with the three rifles he's done for me. I'll send him more.
Posted By: 358wsm Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/18/18

Pabucktail,

Thank you for the good report.
Posted By: boliep Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/18/18

He did a three groove on my 35 Whelen. It sure is accurate.
Posted By: 358wsm Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/18/18

Well, the Col. said that only accurate rifles are interesting.

Thanks for another great report boliep. I much appreciate it.!
I’ve got one I’m going to send him here shortly to rebore to a 35 whelen and he said 3 groove will work just fine so I left it at that. Seemed like a nice guy. Kind of excited to get this sent out and back
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/18/18
Ya'll are a bad influence.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/18/18
If I was paying him to drill out my rifle barrel,
I would tell him to do what's best.

He should know more than us.
Posted By: 358wsm Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/19/18

Yes, he does seem like one of the good guys. I got that impression when I spoke with him some time back.
Posted By: BIG_JOE Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/19/18
He did a 358WIN from 7groovemm-08 for me. Three groove. Couldn't be happier with the results for the quick turnaround.
Posted By: Tejano Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/19/18
I only think a three groove is an issue with hyper velocity cartridges and thin jacketed bullets. Go with what JESS says or go back to what Whelen used.
Yup. Having had two rifles sent to JES for reboring I just said do what you would choose if it was your rifle....more than good enough for me then. smile
Posted By: Andy3 Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/20/18
JES did a 30-06 to 35 Whelen rebore for me, in a Remington 7600. I went with a 3 grove, 1:10 twist, for heavy bullets. Shoots 225 gr TBBC, 250 gr coreloks, and 310 gr woodleigh (all factory loads) into a skinny 1". My rifle was one of the ones that he had to re-throat, because of a worn reamer. He made it right and went "above and beyond", to make sure all was good. Good guy.

Andy3
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/20/18
JES did a 30-30 Marlin to 38-55 for me. I told him it was to be a cast bullet only shooter. He recommended the 3 groove. It's turned out to be a very accurate non-finicky rifle, the easiest gun I've ever loaded to find good loads.
Posted By: Tejano Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/20/18
Interesting that three groove is good for cast bullets, I guess I bought the Marlin Micro groove hype. Also some old muzzle loaders had multiple shallow grooves but could be a by-product of the cutting tools available then.
Posted By: szihn Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/20/18
Ask him which one of his cutters has produced the most even, and the smoothest finish. Tell him that's the one you want.

Number of grooves is not important but overall quality is.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/20/18
I would NEVER USE JES
Originally Posted by 358wsm

Not for 24 member justahunter

Not for 24 member justahunter
Originally Posted by JerradPelzer
I’ve got one I’m going to send him here shortly to rebore to a 35 whelen and he said 3 groove will work just fine so I left it at that. Seemed like a nice guy. Kind of excited to get this sent out and back

He's not the nice guy you think he is
Posted By: 358wsm Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/21/18
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I would NEVER USE JES

Ted,

Why.?
Originally Posted by Tejano
I only think a three groove is an issue with hyper velocity cartridges and thin jacketed bullets. Go with what JESS says or go back to what Whelen used.

My When was stolen. sick
Posted By: tedthorn Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/21/18
I would NEVER USE JES

Ted,

Why.?

I will get Todd to paste his threads up of his 35 Wheelen BLOW UP!!!

JES.....did not make good on it
Posted By: tedthorn Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/21/18
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/3061008432?r=3061008432#3061008432

I would never use JES reboreing after reading all of this on AR
Posted By: SU35 Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/21/18
bs
I like my odds in dealing with JES personally. Plus comparing the hundreds of good reports to this one. But maybe I am rolling the dice IDK. Maybe he is a complete a$$hole but if so he sure does a dang good job of keeping that a secret in my limited experiences in talking to him and the work he has done for me.

Def sucks what happened to that guy though.
Posted By: dodge268 Re: 3 or 4 groove rebore.? - 03/21/18
He did a great job on mine. A sample of one is not much of a sample. It's hard to find a bad review. This guy had a problem with an 03 if I remember. Sometimes you get what you give. He was very nice, did great work and had a really quick turn around. Shoots 185 and 210 Barnes right at an inch.
Patrick
I would NEVER USE JES

Ted,

Why.?

I will get Todd to paste his threads up of his 35 Wheelen BLOW UP!!!

JES.....did not make good on it

Thank you for answering my question Ted.

I don't know. I suppose things happen. Seems by the many many good reports we expect a fellow to hit a home run each time up to the plate. When after thousands of successful jobs, "something" doesn't go as wished do we demonize them.? Now, I don't know all the ins and outs, but sometimes crap happens.
I pride myself in doing quality work, but when a tarp blows off a semi finished roof in the middle of the night durring high winds and rain, am I then a hack.? Or when a screw slides down along the side of a stud and clips a 12-3 feeding an outlet am I a chuck.? Should no one ever hire me because things happen.?
Now, if I shrugg my shoulders in some appathetic way and don't make it right, then THAT becomes a reason to avoid hiring me.

The one thing about the internet is bad news travels fast, and EVERYONE hears about it. A fellow with a good rep then gets labled a hack.

Ted, I do appreciate you having brought this to my attention. I will weigh it out. It is however the only report I have ever heard that would shed bad light on JES. That being what it is, the scales weigh heavily in favor of his workmanship.

Thanks again, I do appreciate the response.
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I like my odds in dealing with JES personally. Plus comparing the hundreds of good reports to this one. But maybe I am rolling the dice IDK. Maybe he is a complete a$$hole but if so he sure does a dang good job of keeping that a secret in my limited experiences in talking to him and the work he has done for me.

Def sucks what happened to that guy though.

That's a good assessment, and it's pretty fair.
At JES recommendation I went with the 3 groove on my Rem 700 that he rebored to 35 whelen. The gun shoots 225 accubonds lights out.
© 24hourcampfire