Home
Posted By: Hesp USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/23/18
Has any one noticed on "Soldier Systems Daily" they stated after testing that USSOCOM has adopted the 6.5CM. Talking about not building new rifles for the 6.5 but altering existing 7.62's. Watch the 6.5 soar now. Superior accuracy at long range due to much more manageable recoil in full auto article stated.
Posted By: Nrut Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/24/18
Be interesting to see what bullet they use, and if once fired LC brass would be made available to the public..
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/24/18
But but but but......
Posted By: jackmountain Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/24/18
I thought Trump was gonna stop gays in the military?
Originally Posted by jackmountain

He did when he banned the .30-06.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/24/18

smile
Posted By: Savuti Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/24/18
That noise you hear is all the "never 'Moor" peoples' heads exploding.
Posted By: Brad Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/24/18
"Last Spring, USSOCOM undertook a study of 6.5 family cartridges to determine a path forward for Precision Intermediate Caliber Ammunition. Over the last year, USASOC, the primary driver of this initiative, narrowed it down to 260 Remington and 6.5 Creemoor. Testing indicated that the two calibers performed very closely.

[Linked Image]

Last month, the command conducted a reliability test, using two incumbent weapons, currently in US service; the FN SCAR Heavy and KAC M110. Two weapons of each type were used, one was in 260 Remington and the other in 6.5 CM. What they found is that both weapons performed just as well and were just as reliable in either caliber.

As both cartridges were similarly accurate and reliable, the determining factor for selection of 6.5 CM would end up being trade space. The prevailing attitude is that there was more room with the 6.5 CM to further develop projectiles and loads.

I don’t expect a major announcement, or any fanfare with this decision. Instead, you’ll begin to see small movements toward configuring weapons to utilize this round.

At the USASOC Sniper Competition, there were several weapons in 6.5 CM. Yesterday, we gave a little tease on Instagram of a Knight’s Armament Co M110 in 6.5 CM.

[Linked Image]

Today, I fired a FN Mk20 in 6.5 CM which was configured as a demonstrator for new features, such as a non-reciprocating charging handle and AR-style stock. Shooting a SCAR Heavy is like taming a beast, but with 6.5 CM, the recoil impulse was negligible.

[Linked Image]

Briefings last year indicated that SOCOM was interested in looking at an intermediate cartridge family gas gun and light machine gun. However, the lay Of the land is a little different now. I do not expect a full and open competition for a new car being in 6.5 CM. Rather, I expect them to modify the 7.62 rifles they already own. Additionally, there has been no recent talk of looking at a light machine gun in that caliber."
They still choose Leupolds too......
Posted By: prm Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/24/18

They did not choose the .270 grin

Pretty impressive, meaningful, results in the graphic Brad posted.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/24/18

Mmm. No. You’re seeing one picture of a representative scope. There are Leupolds, Nightforce, S&B, and Vortex Razors GII issued to various organizations. .

Originally Posted by Hesp
Has any one noticed on "Soldier Systems Daily" they stated after testing that USSOCOM has adopted the 6.5CM. Talking about not building new rifles for the 6.5 but altering existing 7.62's. Watch the 6.5 soar now. Superior accuracy at long range due to much more manageable recoil in full auto article stated.

This was decided quite a while ago, and the 6.5 Creedmoor has been the highest selling factory round for a couple of years now- only the Campfire thinks it’s “new”.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by Brad
"Last Spring, USSOCOM undertook a study of 6.5 family cartridges to determine a path forward for Precision Intermediate Caliber Ammunition. Over the last year, USASOC, the primary driver of this initiative, narrowed it down to 260 Remington and 6.5 Creemoor. Testing indicated that the two calibers performed very closely.

[Linked Image]

Last month, the command conducted a reliability test, using two incumbent weapons, currently in US service; the FN SCAR Heavy and KAC M110. Two weapons of each type were used, one was in 260 Remington and the other in 6.5 CM. What they found is that both weapons performed just as well and were just as reliable in either caliber.

As both cartridges were similarly accurate and reliable, the determining factor for selection of 6.5 CM would end up being trade space. The prevailing attitude is that there was more room with the 6.5 CM to further develop projectiles and loads.

I don’t expect a major announcement, or any fanfare with this decision. Instead, you’ll begin to see small movements toward configuring weapons to utilize this round.

At the USASOC Sniper Competition, there were several weapons in 6.5 CM. Yesterday, we gave a little tease on Instagram of a Knight’s Armament Co M110 in 6.5 CM.

[Linked Image]

Today, I fired a FN Mk20 in 6.5 CM which was configured as a demonstrator for new features, such as a non-reciprocating charging handle and AR-style stock. Shooting a SCAR Heavy is like taming a beast, but with 6.5 CM, the recoil impulse was negligible.

[Linked Image]

Briefings last year indicated that SOCOM was interested in looking at an intermediate cartridge family gas gun and light machine gun. However, the lay Of the land is a little different now. I do not expect a full and open competition for a new car being in 6.5 CM. Rather, I expect them to modify the 7.62 rifles they already own. Additionally, there has been no recent talk of looking at a light machine gun in that caliber."

Interesting read, and if your military goes with it then ours will surely follow...and London to a brick the military eggheads will manage to cripple the whole thing.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by prm

They did not choose the .270 grin

Pretty impressive, meaningful, results in the graphic Brad posted.

If they'd picked the 270 back in 1925, they'd still be using it.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/24/18
So our new round will be slightly less that the Sweede round designed in the 1890s, but a little better than the Jap round found to be obsolete in the 1930's.I

But with better bullets.
Posted By: SKane Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by Savuti
That noise you hear is all the "never 'Moor" peoples' heads exploding.

Yep. grin
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Mmm. No. You’re seeing one picture of a representative scope. There are Leupolds, Nightforce, S&B, and Vortex Razors GII issued to various organizations. .

Originally Posted by Hesp

This was decided quite a while ago, and the 6.5 Creedmoor has been the highest selling factory round for a couple of years now- only the Campfire thinks it’s “new”.

Creedmoor has been around, but the kreedmire is fairly new......
They're using vortex?
Any swfa's floating around in combat situations?
Posted By: prm Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/24/18
What bullet have they settled on?
Fake News!
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/25/18
They're using vortex?
Any swfa's floating around in combat situations?

Yes. The 1-6x and 3-9x SWFA’s are used extensively by some.
Originally Posted by prm
What bullet have they settled on?

“They” havent. The Berger 130gr Hybrid AR and Hornady’s are front runners.
Posted By: deflave Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/25/18
What entities does "USSOCOM" encompass?

Travis
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/25/18
Originally Posted by deflave
What entities does "USSOCOM" encompass?

Travis

It's like he appeared out of nowhere....
Posted By: sbhooper Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/25/18
It is special forces. US Special Operations Command.
Ok. So... what does that mean exactly?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/25/18
They command
Seals
Rangers
Green Berets
Marine Recon (or whatever they call themselves now)
Along with other special forces.

They created USSOCOM to kind of make a special forces branch.
It really complicated how one is a Marine, under the Navy, but controlled by
SOCOM, which might be commanded by an Army officer.
Posted By: prm Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/25/18
Just an organization to in theory coordinate the activities of the special people.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Special_Operations_Command
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
They command
Seals
Rangers
Green Berets

Ok thank you.

So when SOCOM adopts something that means all these different groups or organizations now use whatever it is that SOCOM adopted? Or does it just mean SOCOM will allow them to use it if they choose to?
Posted By: prm Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/25/18
My interpretation: It means someone took liberty with a headline and the reality is one group within SOCOM looked into it.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/25/18
Yes, the last i understood
Marsoc, the Marine spc. forces used a 1911.
It is not standard for all.

Actually the top tier people get to use what they choose, per mission sometimes.
Posted By: beretzs Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/25/18
They command
Seals
Rangers
Green Berets

MARSOC is Marine Corps Forces Special Operstions Command with a Marine Major General as the units commander. There are Marines who are in other parts of SOCOM HQ but by and large Marines are in command of the Marines in garrison. The different components work together while in a deployed environment. Usually in deployed environments all SOF elements share HQ or TF responsibilities.

The 1911 hasn’t really been used since around 2010’ish. We rolled 1911’s in 08/09 but at about that time the Glocks starting coming around.

Nowadays it’s pretty much Glocks across the board.

By and large everyone uses pretty similar junk but there is a bit of single sourced stuff that is different from group to group. Kinda nice to be on a similar page when guns go down in country since another team, company or HQ might have parts to fix it.
They command
Seals
Rangers
Green Berets

Ok thank you.

So when SOCOM adopts something that means all these different groups or organizations now use whatever it is that SOCOM adopted? Or does it just mean SOCOM will allow them to use it if they choose to?

BINGO we Have a winner!

Ok thank you.

There are SOCOM specific items and programs that apply to all that fall under SOCOM. SOCOM is an umbrella for each services special operations Personel.

Army- USASOC
Air Force- AFSOC
MARINES- MARSOC
Navy- NSW

Within that umbrella falls most of the “special” units.

In this case all/most SOCOM issued M110’s, M110 K’s, MK20 SSR’s, and any bolt action 7.62mm guns will be replaced/rebarreled to 6.5 Creedmoor.

Originally Posted by prm
My interpretation: It means someone took liberty with a headline and the reality is one group within SOCOM looked into it.

Negative. All 7.62mm sniper weapon systems and sniper support weapons issued to SOCOM Personel will be transitioned to 6.5 Creedmoor.

Actually the top tier people get to use what they choose, per mission sometimes.

MARSOC no longer issues the M45 (1911). They are using G19’s as is the standard for SOCOM.

While some have latitude to acquire/use alternate gear/weapons, it is much less common than believed by the public.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/26/18
Feeling pretty cool about choosing the Creedmoor before them. LOL
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/26/18
Oh boy, here goes all the 6.5 Creed brass. Hope they don't discover H4350, it's tough enough now to find it. I am really curious to see what bullet they end up with. Maybe we will benefit by some advancements in powder in the next few years.

Bet they are gonna run some good optics. I will see what they choose, any guesses?
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/26/18
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

And I feel even cooler having chosen the 260 Rem as my go to rifle before the Creed was conceived.

But, the coolness only pertains to rifles as I have totally failed to embrace the new when it comes to handguns. I have never owned nor fired a Glock, but I have enough 1911s to outfit a spec ops unit. smile
Posted By: prm Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/26/18
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Oh boy, here goes all the 6.5 Creed brass. Hope they don't discover H4350, it's tough enough now to find it. I am really curious to see what bullet they end up with. Maybe we will benefit by some advancements in powder in the next few years.

Bet they are gonna run some good optics. I will see what they choose, any guesses?

They can have the H4350. I found it equally accurate but much slower than others. But if they go for the RL16 we’re going to have to have a talk!
Posted By: Gtscotty Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/26/18
Originally Posted by prm

They can have the H4350. I found it equally accurate but much slower than others. But if they go for the RL16 we’re going to have to have a talk!

Yep, my 6.5 Montana is already on a strict RL16 diet, and my RPR is getting switched over from H4350 as soon as I can make the time to do another load workup.

As for their bullet selection, it seems like the 143gr ELDx would make a truly wicked sniper bullet. I wonder how they would get something like that past the requirements of the Hague, since it's clearly a game bullet designed to expand and inflict maximum damage.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/26/18
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
Originally Posted by prm

Yep, my 6.5 Montana is already on a strict RL16 diet, and my RPR is getting switched over from H4350 as soon as I can make the time to do another load workup.

As for their bullet selection, it seems like the 143gr ELDx would make a truly wicked sniper bullet. I wonder how they would get something like that past the requirements of the Hague, since it's clearly a game bullet designed to expand and inflict maximum damage.

I may be wrong, but I think that they used the big amx bullets in a lot of the .50 cal. Maybe because it is a target bullet, they can get away with it. The 147 ELDM in the cm, would be a dynamite long range sniper round. Agreed on the re 16, but would also add 26 to that group. They can have H4350 as far as I am concerned. Good powder, but better options available.
Posted By: CRS Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/26/18
Interesting, as most military cartridges are developed by the military, then reach commercial status.

This one developed commercially, then adopted by the military.

Posted By: deflave Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/26/18
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Ok thank you.

There are SOCOM specific items and programs that apply to all that fall under SOCOM. SOCOM is an umbrella for each services special operations Personel.

Army- USASOC
Air Force- AFSOC
MARINES- MARSOC
Navy- NSW

Within that umbrella falls most of the “special” units.

In this case all/most SOCOM issued M110’s, M110 K’s, MK20 SSR’s, and any bolt action 7.62mm guns will be replaced/rebarreled to 6.5 Creedmoor.

Originally Posted by prm

Negative. All 7.62mm sniper weapon systems and sniper support weapons issued to SOCOM Personel will be transitioned to 6.5 Creedmoor.

MARSOC no longer issues the M45 (1911). They are using G19’s as is the standard for SOCOM.

While some have latitude to acquire/use alternate gear/weapons, it is much less common than believed by the public.

Thanks Form.

Dave
Posted By: jk16 Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/26/18
Originally Posted by CRS
Interesting, as most military cartridges are developed by the military, then reach commercial status.

This one developed commercially, then adopted by the military.

So was the .308 Winchester...It was introduced several years before it's NATO metric milspec version..
Posted By: CRS Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/27/18
I may be wrong, but I think it was military developed and commercial just released before officially adopted?
Posted By: Savuti Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/27/18
Originally Posted by CRS
I may be wrong, but I think it was military developed and commercial just released before officially adopted?

Yep! Developed by the army, then Winchester commercialized it prior to adoption by NATO.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/27/18
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I'm thinking this has merit as a new signature line.... BTW, when my wife saw how crazy accurate my... um, our.... okay now her Tikka was shooting, the 25-06 was no longer of much interest to her. She shot 3 deer last Fall with "her Creedmoor" before I had a chance to shoot anything but paper or steel with it...
Posted By: prm Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/27/18
Looking forward to getting my Fieldcraft back and shooting it. If it shoots as well, as easily, as my previous 6.5 CM I’ll be a full-fledged, Kool-aid drinking fan!
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/28/18
The last time I looked, Kimber only offered their Super American grade rifle in .308. If they were to start offering it in the 6.5 Creedmore I might attempt the "Okay honey the Tikka seems to be your lucky rifle.... I'd like to get a Creedmore for myself now..." ploy....

I have a friend that just bought his first big game rifle last Fall also in Creedmore. Both rifles have been honest 1/2 MOA shooters. Kool-aid induced delusion or not, I'm thinking this cartridge deserves a high polish blued/AAA walnut platform. cool
Something tells me the 140 ELD-M will be in the mix. Target bullet, a wee bit shorter than the the 147 for feeding, and still amazing BC. I think the Berger 130 Hybrid would be righteous, as well.

Come to think of it, both the 129 and 142 ABLR could be straight up tits in this roll.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/30/18
So our new round will be slightly less that the Sweede round designed in the 1890s, but a little better than the Jap round found to be obsolete in the 1930's.I

But with better bullets.

Well, my dad fought in the Pacific, and they actually called the it the "Jap .25". with its long barrel and low muzzleblast, in the jungle it was extremely hard to "locate" the shot; it was a favored Sniper round. They also made a carbine and it was a coveted War souvenir, for a deer rifle. Dad had one, but had to turn it in for a "raffle type" deal and drew a ticket for a standard Jap Calvary Saber. He hated it. Ha. Yes, I still have it, but would have preferred the Jap .25! I guess it depends on how they use it in the field...
Posted By: Nomosendero2 Re: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5CM - 03/31/18
I am curious which bullet they settle on
© 24hourcampfire