Home
Posted By: limabean Kimber montana question - 03/28/18
I picked up a 84m in 308 today and when I removed the bolt I noticed the three numbers under the bolt handle don't match the last three of the serial number. The other two Montana's I have the numbers match. I was afraid to shoot it fearing there may be a headspace issue. Has anyone ever seen this before?
Thanks
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Kimber montana question - 03/28/18
Used gun? I'd definitely have the headspace checked.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Kimber montana question - 03/28/18
Yep, especially with an odd bolt.
Posted By: limabean Re: Kimber montana question - 03/28/18
Yes it is used. I'm calling kimber in the morning to see if they can explain this.
Posted By: qwk Re: Kimber montana question - 03/28/18
Somebody swapped the bolt out. Get it checked out for a few bucks, and you'll be all set.
Posted By: kingston Re: Kimber montana question - 03/28/18
Did they have more than one used Montana where you bought it. I’d check the shop.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Kimber montana question - 03/28/18
Originally Posted by kingston
Did they have more than one used Montana where you bought it. I’d check the shop.

That was my thought, OR did the other one get sold already??
Posted By: 16bore Re: Kimber montana question - 03/28/18
And my guess would be the shop does EVERYTHING it can to fix/check the issue.
This was the only one they had when I was there. They could have had more than one before I saw this one. I'm not shooting it until it gets checked. I'm calling the shop this morning.
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber montana question - 03/28/18
At a minimum headspace will have to be checked.

The seller is out of their mind if they don't insist on taking the rifle back... and I wouldn't want a rifle with a non-matching bolt, regardless if the headspace is correct. A mismatched bolt certainly devalues a factory (non-custom) rifle significantly.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Kimber montana question - 03/28/18
I agree w/Brad. I'd try to return it. I wouldn't want it even if it does check out.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Kimber montana question - 03/28/18

I suspect Kimbet won't be of much help with this beyond what you have already learned here.
Called kimber twice and spoke to two different 's reps. The first guy says they hand fit the bolts to the rifles and if the original one had a issue they would have put a different one in when they did the final check. I wasn't satisfied with his answer so I called back and got a different person. She said let me check with product support to see what they say. She came back and said they told her that this was ok since they sometimes change out the bolt before it goes out the door and the numbers won't match. I told her that I'm not in the gun manufacturing business but it would seem to me the number engraving would be the last step in the fitment of bolt to receiver. She assured me what I had was normal in some cases and it was ok to shoot the rifle, yea right. This sounds obsured to me. I'm going to have the headspace checked if I decide to try it. I probably should just go get my rifle back that I traded for this and forget this one like y'all have suggested. Thanks for all your thoughts about this.
Originally Posted by limabean
She assured me what I had was normal in some cases and it was ok to shoot the rifle

Have never heard that, or seen that ever... she doesn't have a clue.
Be an interesting question for MCMXI...
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Be an interesting question for MCMXI...

LOL!
Posted By: qwk Re: Kimber montana question - 03/28/18
Yeah, doesn't sound like an accurate reply. How in the world would anyone including Kimber know what bolt a gun is matched to? Anyone could send in a toasted bolt with a gun under warranty and get it repaired. Makes little sense, especially since the bolts are obviously hand scribed in a rough fashion, indicating that it's probably done at the end of assembly.
Posted By: bowshot Re: Kimber montana question - 03/28/18
Just checked my kimber hunter. Bought new sealed in their factory packaging. Last 3 numbers on the gun 527. number on the bolt 530
It works excellent.

Terry
Posted By: ringworm Re: Kimber montana question - 03/28/18
That's not the serial number on the bolt...it's the number of times it's been worked on.
LOL
Posted By: mathman Re: Kimber montana question - 03/28/18
Pretty good shot, but I have needed to have my Steyr worked on more than my Kimber.
Originally Posted by bowshot
Just checked my kimber hunter. Bought new sealed in their factory packaging. Last 3 numbers on the gun 527. number on the bolt 530
It works excellent.

Terry

Wow, just wow. That's just nuts... leave it to the Yonkers crew to screw up long held industry practice.

From the Remington 700 Manual:

To help ensure the bolt assembly and receivers stay paired-up, the bolt assembly will be marked with the last three digits of the receiver’s serial number. For your safety, keep your bolt assembly paired-up with its respective receiver. Ensure the last three(3) digits of the serial number match the numbers stamped on the bolt.
One other thought, I could see a potential problem taking a mismatched bolt/receiver out of country... there's no way I'd accept a non-matching bolt.
Posted By: qwk Re: Kimber montana question - 03/29/18
I just checked all my Montana's andcthey match. Must be a new thing?
Posted By: 10at6 Re: Kimber montana question - 03/29/18
If it shoots it's a keeper
Posted By: Cattledog Re: Kimber montana question - 03/29/18
There are other Montana 308's out there, not tough to find. I would return it for refund, and next time check serial #'s prior to purchase...

Best of luck !
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Kimber montana question - 03/29/18
Re- engrave it to match.......pretty easy
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Kimber montana question - 03/29/18
Not an acceptable storyline here.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Kimber montana question - 03/29/18
Originally Posted by tedthorn

I suspect Kimbet won't be of much help with this beyond what you have already learned here.

Agreed.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Kimber montana question - 03/29/18
Originally Posted by mathman
Pretty good shot, but I have needed to have my Steyr worked on more than my Kimber.

After all the bitching the worm has done on here about his one experience with Kimber, this is some seriously funny schit!
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Kimber montana question - 03/29/18
Always check the numbers when buying a gun....
Posted By: kingston Re: Kimber montana question - 03/29/18
Originally Posted by ringworm
That's not the serial number on the bolt...it's the number of times it's been worked on.

That’s funny.
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Kimber montana question - 03/29/18
Just checked, And all 3 of my Montana’s, a hunter and a mountain ascent all have matching #s.
Posted By: bushrat Re: Kimber montana question - 03/29/18
And we wonder why Browning x-bolts have no numbers on their bolts....
Posted By: limabean Re: Kimber montana question - 03/29/18
After getting it checked it seems to be fine. It also shoots good as well. I just can't understand why kimber wouldn't take a few minutes to correct the mismatching numbers. If they are going to be switching bolts around it would seem to me that it would be better to not put a number on them. What do I know since I'm not in the gun manufacturing business. Thanks for all your thoughts and replies.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Kimber montana question - 03/29/18
Hope you like it, because it'll be hell to get rid of....
© 24hourcampfire