Home
Posted By: scotts94_z28 Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/04/18
Anyone have one yet and have any thoughts on it? I see a few listed on gunbroker so it appears they're out there even though the website doesn't list them. LH 30-06 on gunbroker appears to weight 6 lbs 12 oz so a much better weight than the X2 I had.

Really like my hunting rifle around 7-1/2lbs with scope and mounts. Thinking a 30-06 trimmed back to a 22" barrel will end up just right with some Talley lows and a Swaro 3-9x36.
Lighter weight? This is very interesting indeed.....Hb
I just had to take a look on GB and that is one fine looking rifle.....Thanks for the info.....Hb
I did as well. 6 pd 5 oz for a 24” #2 in 270 ... not too shabby if accurate.
I think i may need one of these in .300 WSM or maybe another .300 Win for the collection.........Hb
Posted By: ejo Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/04/18
I wish they would put a “featherweight” contoured barrel on this rifle.
I was looking that for getting one of those in .257 Rob. but was told I would have to wait at least 5 months.
Posted By: jc737 Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/04/18
I heard that they changed the floor plate..aluminum
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/04/18
Interesting. Looks cool but from everything I’ve read about MRC, I think I’ll pass.
Posted By: mliang Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/04/18
Other than being left handed, you'll be much better off with a Winchester or Kimber. And they are cheaper with better customer service.
Originally Posted by mliang
Other than being left handed, you'll be much better off with a Winchester or Kimber. And they are cheaper with better customer service.

Kimber has great customer service? Really? ...that has not been My experience with a Montana that was the worst factory rifle I have ever bought and that is saying a lot as I have bought more than 50 brand new rifles over the years from a bunch of different makers....I am a sad, sick rifle looney....😁.....Hb
Posted By: Dre Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/04/18
sounds like t3x competition, what does the new tikka t3x superite weigh?

Had plenty of Kimber Montana's and like a bit more weight than that. Currently have a Winchester 70 Classic Stainless Featherweight in a McMillan edge and some other smith work to shoot well. That is my favorite hunting rifle but it's definitely not cheaper than a Montana X3 if they're good to go out of the box.
I have 2 T3x Superlites in .300 Win and they weigh 6lbs 2oz's bare rifle as I remember, its been a few years since I weighed them.......Hb
On GB, the pictures of an actual rifle sitting on an actual postal scale register 6pounds 12ounces.

There is no way they are coming in at 6.25 like some are stating.
yeah I looked at the GB X3,X2 ad for the left hand 30-06 and you can plainly see the X3 stamped on the barrel in the pic with the rifle on the scale so the Montana X3 30-06 does indeed weigh 6lbs 12 oz's....( Im glad the ad guy did this) .....I would be fine with that weight for an X3 in .300 Win.......Hb
Posted By: RevMike Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/05/18
I asked Dean (MRC rep) about the X3 a couple of weeks ago. He said it is the X2 with aluminum bottom metal and a bit taken out of the stock to lighten it without compromising the rigidity. The action/barrel are identical to the X2, By the way, I completely agree that they need to offer this with a Featherweight, or at least a No 1, contour barrel. I've mentioned it to them a few times. We'll see if it ever happens.
Yeah I talked to Dean too (nice guy) and I suggested fluting the barrel on these to shave a few more ounces plus it would look cool to boot..👍......Hb
Posted By: RevMike Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/05/18
Fluting is a great idea!
Posted By: mliang Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/05/18
Originally Posted by scotts94_z28

Had plenty of Kimber Montana's and like a bit more weight than that. Currently have a Winchester 70 Classic Stainless Featherweight in a McMillan edge and some other smith work to shoot well. That is my favorite hunting rifle but it's definitely not cheaper than a Montana X3 if they're good to go out of the box.

Now your comparing a full custom Winchester to a semi-custom MRC. I've seen plenty of Winchesters with Mcmillan stocks on here for cheaper than MRC. The reason everyone seems to be talking about the X3 is because of the lightweight, but the Kimbers are around the same weight. I never had to deal with Kimber's CS. But there is no way it was worse than MRC's, when I had to deal with them. One of the worst experiences with a company I ever had.

But if we are throwing in Tikka's into the mix, I would go with a Tikka all day long. I've never heard of one that had any problems or won't shoot. I know there has to be a few lemons that slipped through but generally Tikka will shoot very well.
Originally Posted by scotts94_z28

Now your comparing a full custom Winchester to a semi-custom MRC. I've seen plenty of Winchesters with Mcmillan stocks on here for cheaper than MRC. The reason everyone seems to be talking about the X3 is because of the lightweight, but the Kimbers are around the same weight. I never had to deal with Kimber's CS. But there is no way it was worse than MRC's, when I had to deal with them. One of the worst experiences with a company I ever had.

But if we are throwing in Tikka's into the mix, I would go with a Tikka all day long. I've never heard of one that had any problems or won't shoot. I know there has to be a few lemons that slipped through but generally Tikka will shoot very well.

Definitely not a full custom just a Classic Stainless Featherweight in a McMillan edge with bedding, trigger work, Williams bottom metal and extractor. I would love to do the same thing in 30-06 but there's no way that will happen for less than the cost of a new 30-06 MRC X3 hence this thread.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/05/18
Interestingly I had an X2 in my hand on Tuesday. It felt good in the hand - except the weight. They are tanks. This one also had a bipod and Bushnell 4200 scope in Leup steel mounts/rings. It must have weighed 10 lbs as set up. It was a 270 too boot. Nothing like a 10 lb 270 to drag up the elk mountains.

I just talked to them and they claim the X3 weighs 14 oz less than the X2 - which is a good thing. I asked about the stock dimensions and they had no idea, which irritates the heck out of me.

One of you guys need to buy a new X3 and report back 😎
Posted By: BIGR Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/05/18
I got to say I talked to Dean back in February, he seems like a great guy responded in a fast manner to my email, much better than some gun makers, some of them never even replied.

My question to Dean was about a 6.5 PRC in a left hand X2 version. That is when he informed me about the X3 IN A 6.5 PRC, probably weighing in around 6 pounds or so, I don't think he knew the exact weight yet.
I have a few Tikka rifles and they are great rifles but if we are talking chitty CS Beretta has some of the worst I have ever experienced, I had a Sako 85 that was plagued with the well known ( straight up) ejection issue and they refused to admit the rifle even had an issue ...😂😂.....Hb
Posted By: mliang Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/06/18
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have a few Tikka rifles and they are great rifles but if we are talking chitty CS Beretta has some of the worst I have ever experienced, I had a Sako 85 that was plagued with the well known ( straight up) ejection issue and they refused to admit the rifle even had an issue ...😂😂.....Hb

Agree with the Sako ejecting straight up issue. Beretta needs to be better about it. Thankfully, Tikka does not have this problem. And personally, I think the Tikka is a smoother action than the Sako.

I also agree with bwinters, the MRC action is heavy. It feels clunkier to me than a Kimber and Winchester, which is what I prefer in a CRF rifle, even without my CS nightmare. But that's just my opinion.
Posted By: Tanker8 Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/07/18
I have the X2 in 243, shoots great, action was smooth. No complaints.
I have the X3 in 6.5 Creedmoor, actually ordered an X2 and received an X3. I haven't shot it yet, but is definitely lighter than the 243.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/07/18
How much does the X3 weigh?
Yes, weigh it (bare rifle) please..👍.....Hb
Posted By: TOPCATHR Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/07/18
I like that rifle, For stand hunting weight doesn't matter. reminds me of a heavy Montana
I just received a lefty 338 win mag last month. It weighs 6.75 lbs. happy with it so far. Ordered an x2. back in November and received the x3.
Excellent info Charlie, 6.75 lbs is right where I like the bare weight of a magnum bolt action rifle, It has enough weight for me to hold steady for the shot but still light enough for me to tote in the mountains.......Hb
If they offer this thing in a 6.5 PRC, I am pretty sure I am going to be out the $1300 or so bucks it will cost me.
Posted By: Alex38 Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/09/18
Paul, I was thinking the same thing!!
Posted By: bwinters Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/09/18
I sent an email to MRC on the weight of an X3 in 30-06. They said it should weigh 6.4 lbs - rifle alone. That would work if true.
I think they got alot of feedback on the many rifles they have sold in the last 3 or 4 years. Aside from some poor QC and CR issues I imagine most of what they heard was along the lines I like the rifle but would love it if were around a pound lighter. That is how I feel about my x2. I have kind of kept up with MRC as I feel they are making a good effort for a smaller manufacturer trying to offer many calibers in both left and right hand and doing some customization for you at the factory. Now reacting to request to lighten up. They have some issues but I hope they can get them worked out.
Boarmaster, MRC has Bad QC? Thats not good news, have you had issues with your X2?.....Hb
[quote=VaHillbilly]Boarmaster, MRC has Bad QC? Thats not good news, have you had issues with your X2?.....Hb[/quote
My safety was very hard to move. I mean harder than one should ever be. Serveral others that bought around the same time had the issue. One in particular was so tight that I handled I put it back in the box and told the FFL I think somethings messed up. He grabbed it and pushed it and it did move but he said "dang". When I emailed them they said they had a fix for that and to send it back. I wanted to shoot the rifle to see if I had any other issues before sending it back. There were no other issues and the rifle shoots great. I spent a lot of time just moving it back and forth over and over. It has gotten better but really I should work more smoothly. These are things I feel should be caught at the factory. Especially after a four month wait. There are other reports here on the fire of things that should have been caught before shipping.
Boarmaster, MRC has Bad QC? Thats not good news, have you had issues with your X2?.....Hb

And I wrote "some poor qc " not Bad QC. Overall I dont think they have a bad rifle at all.
Yeah I agree, a safety that hard to move should have been caught at the factory, no excuss in that but poor QC....At least your rifle does shoot good though 👍........We talkin MOA with factory ammo maybe?....Hb
Yeah I agree, a safety that hard to move should have been caught at the factory, no excuss in that but poor QC....At least your rifle does shoot good though 👍........We talkin MOA with factory ammo maybe?....Hb

Yes it will now shoot Hornady American Whitetail and Federal Premium Nosler BTs under1 inch groups and regular old green box Rem Corelokts consistantly 1.25. And honestly thats as good as I can shoot. The Federals really feed the slickest of the bunch. All feed good no issue but you can just feel the Federals are running really smooth. The more I shoot it the better it seems to get. Not sure if its me or the rifle.
Good report, sounds like you got a keeper......Hb
Was looking at the lefty x3 in 280AI. Think that could just be a darling of a rifle.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/28/18
Originally Posted by RevMike
... By the way, I completely agree that they need to offer this with a Featherweight, or at least a No 1, contour barrel. I've mentioned it to them a few times. ...

I would LOVE IT if MRC offered featherweight barrels. But, not holding my breath. I tried to special order an MRC rifle with a FWT barrel two years ago. MRC refused. I am thinking that they are trying to limit the number of parts and SKU's, Hence, even if they turn their own FWT barrel, all of the stocks are probably pre-inlet for their #2 sporter weight barrels. If they are in a sold out position, just building their standard SKU's, I can understand.

Yeah I talked to Dean too (nice guy) and I suggested fluting the barrel on these to shave a few more ounces plus it would look cool to boot..👍......Hb

I paid more than $100 to have the barrel on a custom X2 factory fluted. Unfortunately, MRC fluting is more of the cosmetic variety. Not that deep. Minimal weight savings.

To be clear, as a Left Hander, I really like MRC rifles and actions. I have a raw action on the shelf for a future build. Waiting for an opportunity to handle a Left Hand X3.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/28/18
I have an X3 sitting at my FFL, picking it up this AM. I'll likely do a separate post. I had the guy weigh it - 6lbs 0.6oz bare rifle.
Posted By: KU_Geo Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/28/18
What are you guys paying for these X3? I had an X2 that I wanted to love but I had all sorts of extraction, feeding, safety issues that they took months to fix. The x3 has me interested again but still skeptical after my past experience with MRC.
Originally Posted by bwinters
I have an X3 sitting at my FFL, picking it up this AM. I'll likely do a separate post. I had the guy weigh it - 6lbs 0.6oz bare rifle.

Short action model maybe? Is that 6lb's and 6oz's or 6lbs and less than an ounce at 0.6oz?......Hb
Originally Posted by bwinters

So ????
Posted By: bwinters Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/28/18
Picked it up this PM. It is a LA - 30-06 to be exact. I noticed in the picture, after re-examining it, that the 6lb 0.6oz weight was w/o the bolt. Neither the guy taking the pic or me caught that. The rifle in 30-06 weighs 6lbs 15oz. Not as light as I wanted but after boring it to 338-06, cutting 2" off the barrel, using Talley LW mounts, and either Burris E1 or Leup VX3, it should weigh 7lbs 11-12oz. About exactly what I want my 338-06 to weigh. I was concerned when he sent me the 6lb 1 oz picture that I couldn't get it beyond 7.5 lbs even with a lunker scope.

I took it apart. Nicely built rifle action is tight, bedding looks good, bottom metal is flush and snug. It has the old style Winchester M70 trigger which I really like. My only nit to pick is the gap around the barrel channel. It is probably 1/16 or 3/32. It certainly won't hit or rub. I'll likely add some bedding compound for aesthetics. I'll dream up some loads, 180 Sierra and H4350, and give it a whirl. I've heard the later versions of the MRC shoot well. So far I'm pleased but will be ecstatic if it shoots well and comes in at 7lbs 10-12 oz.
If you have a chance, would appreciate if you could weigh the stock and the barreled action separately. Reason for asking for my LA 6.5x55 and SA .243, both stocks weigh in the 31 to 32 ounce range. Seems that someone mentioned that the weight loss for the X3's was in the stock. That seems like a whole lot of weight to take out of a stock without going to carbon fiber. Just curious where the weight reductions occurred. Much appreciated.
Bwinters, thanks for the excellent info, I am having a hard time deciding between a MRC X3 or a Win 70 Extreme Weather.....Still dont know which I might pick, Weight would have been a deciding factor but it looks like the MRC X3 is really no lighter than a Mod 70 Extreme Weather, I think either one should be excellent rifles.....Hb
Posted By: 16bore Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/29/18
24" barrels on short actions just doesn't make sense to me.
Originally Posted by 16bore
24" barrels on short actions just doesn't make sense to me.

I agree, and to My eye's it just dont look right either......Hb
Originally Posted by Orion2000
If you have a chance, would appreciate if you could weigh the stock and the barreled action separately. Reason for asking for my LA 6.5x55 and SA .243, both stocks weigh in the 31 to 32 ounce range. Seems that someone mentioned that the weight loss for the X3's was in the stock. That seems like a whole lot of weight to take out of a stock without going to carbon fiber. Just curious where the weight reductions occurred. Much appreciated.

Additional weight loss is also because the X3 has aluminum bottom metal. Stock and bottom metal. Everything else is the same as an X2.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/29/18
The weight savings are from the stock and aluminum bottom metal. I weighed the stock already - 25.9 oz. Doing the math, the action with aluminum bottom metal is 85.7 oz. Given the 6lb 1 oz weight first reported, I asked him to send me the steel bottom metal. He sent the aluminum bottom metal yesterday. The steel bottom metal with follower and spring weighs 7.8 oz. The rifle is a solid build. Using the M70 action is where the weight 'penalty' comes from - it isn't as svelte as the M700 or clones.
VA - I have both. The new X3 is going to weigh almost exactly what the M70 EW weighs. Barrel contours look very similar and the action looks identical except the bolt release. Of the two, I'm leaning MRC because of the simple old-style M70 trigger and the stock on the X3. The X3 stock is superior to the B&C on the EW. The EW stock is more clunky, the MRC is slimmer through the wrist and forend. I measured the stock dimensions yesterday - it drops ~ 5/8" at the heel, ~ 1/2" at the comb. The LOP is 13 5/8". Overall, it feels like the stock was built for me - those are the exact dimensions I want in a stock. I put a set of Tally LW Low on it and may go Extra Low. As much as I really don't want to, I'll likely put a Leup VX3 with B&C reticle on it to keep the weight where I want it. The "B" measurement is like a LA M70 and measures 5.5". I'll need to flip the Talleys around to minimize the "B" measurement if I use a 2.5-8x36, the 3.5-10 fits fine. I'm leaning 3.5-10. I really, really like the VX3 3.5-10x40 with B&C reticle. I'm hoping to use it as a set/forget scope.
As an FYI, I bought an X2 "Transition" rifle from JD Outfitters. They are marked "X2" but have the light stock and aluminum bottom metal. He's got 2-3 more 30-06, and a 25-06 in the X2 Transition. They are a bit cheaper but more importantly are available now. 2-3-4 month wait for a real X3.

Jerry at JD has been very good to deal with. I highly recommend him. 405-822-1564. Tell him I said to call.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 04/29/18
bwinters, Thank you for the time and effort to respond. Very helpful !
No problem. If you want more or pics, let me know.

For anyone considering an X3, be sure you're cool with the barrel channel gap. I personally think it looks like crap but I'll fix it later. It's purely cosmetic.
B, thanks for the excellent info. There are things I like individually about both rifles, I like stock feel of the X3 by far with its slim wrist but I dont like its skinny triggershoe so the Mod 70 MOA trigger gets the nod from Me, I also like the fluted barrel on the Mod 70, the bolt release on either rifle is fine with me....The stock feel is most important and I can fit the X3 with a Timney (not sure about the width of the Timney trigger shoe though) so I guess Im leaning more toward the X3 in .300 Win, though @ 6lbs and 15ozs I wish it was a 1/2 lb lighter.... .I noticed JB has X3's in .300 Win listed on GB for a little over $1,300.00.....Hb
Agree on skinny trigger show in X3. JB is supposedly their biggest retailer. He's a good guy to deal with.
There is an X3 on gunbroker currently in 7x57
Posted By: RevMike Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 05/01/18
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
There is an X3 on gunbroker currently in 7x57

Enabler. wink
Anyone else running X3's??
Posted By: shinbone Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 11/18/18
As for weight, here is my new Montana Rifle Co X3 in 26 Nosler. 26" barrel. That weight is just the bare rifle as it comes out of the factory box. No scope mounts, no ammo, no sling, etc. Haven't had a chance to mount a scope or shoot it, yet.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hrnhuntr Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 11/18/18
I have X3 in 6.5 PRC and it is a consistent sub .5 MOA performer with factory 143 ELDX. Easily the most accurate factory rifle I have ever owned and I have had a pile of them in the last 40 years.
Dibs. grin

Seriously.

Great to hear and great shooting. What does the prc weight?
Posted By: hrnhuntr Re: Montana Rifle Company X3 - 11/18/18
It the American Hunter walnut blue with a medium sporter barrel and it weighs 7 lb 6 oz. Not a fly weight for sure but great balance. PM me a number and I will send some pics.
© 24hourcampfire