Home

...???
R700 Mountain rifle Talleys, Leupold M8 6x42. 6lb 12oz
260 gets an easy pass though since 6.5CM came along....Not even close if you don't handload.
Kind of depends on if you want to shoot 1-3 hundred or 3-6 hundred. A little weight would help longer shots as long as it's light enough to carry and that depends on how you hunt. The Tikka CTR wouldn't be a bad choice either way.
8 lbs 0 ounces

[Linked Image]
6lbs. 8 oz

[Linked Image]
6.5 pounds with scope but no ammo or sling
Lightweight with 22” max barrel length. I usually opt for the 20” barrel though.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
8 lbs 0 ounces

[Linked Image]

I find 8 pounds to feel just about right. I have lighter Kimber setups but 8 never feels bad to me.
Those 6x S_B units complete a rifle so beautifully... cool
Got rid of the 260, but still have 6.5CM w/23” barrel at 6lbs 2.5ozs including VX3 3.5-10x40. Also have a Swede bare at 5lbs 9ozs.
Sorry, but "take anywhere" is kinda vague. Even a .260 could get a bit tiresome from a light rifle for long sessions at the range if "anywhere" includes that use.

For a hunting rifle, 6-7 1/2 pounds sounds right to me, provided it's well-balanced.
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
Got rid of the 260, but still have 6.5CM w/23” barrel at 6lbs 2.5ozs including VX3 3.5-10x40. Also have a Swede bare at 5lbs 9ozs.

Details man!! That Swede is light. What is it housed in?
.5 lbs....

But my 725 comes in, scoped, slinged, and loaded, at about 7 lbs. Haven't actually weighed it, but it is lighter than the 700 in .243.... Both wood stocked. both SHOULD be MOA, but have been hinkey lately....

If you ain't man enough to pack a 7.5 lb rifle....... You are probably getting old like me..... smile

On the other hand, my M98 pushing 10 lb with it's heavy barrel and 1 in groups at 300 yards has it's attractions, even for back-packing.....

You pqys your money and takes the penalties...
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Sorry, but "take anywhere" is kinda vague. Even a .260 could get a bit tiresome from a light rifle for long sessions at the range if "anywhere" includes that use.

For a hunting rifle, 6-7 1/2 pounds sounds right to me, provided it's well-balanced.

Agree. With scope, ammo and sling I like rifles I’m carrying a ways 6.5-7.5lbs. My 30-06 comes in just over 9lbs fully loaded and it’s not horrible to carry, with a good sling on it, but wouldn’t be my preference for a long haul.
Originally Posted by papat
Originally Posted by vacrt2002

Details man!! That Swede is light. What is it housed in?
. Kimber Montana and work by Dave Bruno

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
All-up, (scoped, w/sling and rounds) I like something in the 7.5lb +/- range.

Goes without saying, balance is critical, and I prefer a barrel with something like .600" at the muzzle.
Put me in the 7.5lb club.
My new to me 6.5 kreed is 7lbs 9oz with a swfa 10x pig on it (in talleys). I dig it
For up and down the mountains. RJ
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by deflave
Put me in the 7.5lb club.

Me too, but I could make +/- about 1/2 lb work too. But I find the closer to 7.5 you get the closer you are to ideal regardless of the cartridge.
A skosh under 7 pounds with a 22 inch barrel and a lightweight low mounted scope makes for a good balance. Light in the hands and quick to the shoulder with just enough length to point naturally, get near full velocity, and tame unruly muzzle blast.
Originally Posted by DollarShort
A skosh under 7 pounds with a 22 inch barrel and a lightweight low mounted scope makes for a good balance. Light in the hands and quick to the shoulder with just enough length to point naturally, get near full velocity, and tame unruly muzzle blast.

This one finished up nicely at 6lbs 7.5ozs.

[Linked Image]

Kills deer, bear, germs and bad breath too laugh

Perfect Swede weight IMHO
Originally Posted by Brad
All-up, (scoped, w/sling and rounds) I like something in the 7.5lb +/- range.

Goes without saying, balance is critical, and I prefer a barrel with something like .600" at the muzzle.

7.5 lbs (+/-) ... Agree with the comment on balance. A light weight stock and a tube that finishes at 24 inches "feels about right" to me. I know all the cool kids are pushing 20" to 22" barrels. But I like the slightly muzzle heavy feel that comes with a longer tube...
Yes, that does look like it would do the trick
my tikka t3 stainless/syn stock superlite in 260 rem with meopta meostar 3-10x50 and 3 rounds weighs 8lb on the nose. feels good to me.
Big Ed
7.5-8 is fine for me to walk with. I’m not bothered by my 9 pound AR for calling either.
Several years back I bought a Savage model 16 stainless 260 Rem , 22" Bbl. Installed the scope I wanted .I have carried it all over SW Colorado mountains never having weight it or thought about it's weight. Hunted , took game & am totally satisfied. Buy what you like & go hunting.
Originally Posted by Hesp
Several years back I bought a Savage model 16 stainless 260 Rem , 22" Bbl. Installed the scope I wanted .I have carried it all over SW Colorado mountains never having weight it or thought about it's weight. Hunted , took game & am totally satisfied. Buy what you like & go hunting.

So what’s it weigh?
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Hesp

So what’s it weigh?

Haven't got a clue. Never weighted it. The thought to weight it has never occurred to me or burdened me. Have enjoyed it immensely.
© 24hourcampfire