Home
I've got a couple older rifles that tip the scales around 9lbs all up. Not a lot of weight, but they sure do seem heavy when you're used to today's lightweight rifles.

I'm not willing to completely make them into safe queens yet, so I need a recommendation for a good neoprene sling (or anything else) that helps reduce the perceived weight when packing a heavy rifle.
Timber Butte Outdoors

http://www.timberbutteoutdoors.com/theoutlawsling.html
Ultimate Rifle Sling - I have 4, maybe 5 of these, including having used one on a 11lb. RRA LAR-8 X-1 .308.

https://ultimategunsling.com/shop/ultimate-rifle-and-shotgun-sling/
Just hunt with a buddy:

[Linked Image]
Butler Creek Alaskan Magnum sling. Most comfortable one I have used. I have 2, and put stainless swivels on both of them.
Vero Vellini air cushion or premium air cushion slings.

vero vellini
Posted By: WAM Re: Sling for heavier rifle needed - 04/22/18
LimbSaver Kodiak Air sling.
Originally Posted by MikeL2

vero vellini

I had a buddy recommend one of those. Do you have experience with them?
Vero Vellini air cushion or premium air cushion slings. ]

I like them and they stay on your shoulder well. Have another one for my binoculars and it doe's seem to make them feel lighter. Only down side is if you run with the rifle over your shoulder seems to increase the bounce factor but usually if I am running after something the rifle is in my hands. I will get more even for my light weight rifles. Not as nice as classic leather but looks fine on synthetic stocked rifles. They are a little stretchy for use as a handy sling but work ok for that.

I have not tried the others.
Originally Posted by StudDuck

vero vellini

Yes, I have a couple. The neoprene section is a triple treat - wide and cushioned, stretches for some give with heavier rifles, and provides a non-slip back.
Got my father to switch over to one also - huge comfort change from his old school 1" leather claw sling.
I was leaning towards the Vero Vellini, after receiving your feedback, I'll give one a try.

Thanks.
I have been using a Vero Vellini on my shotgun slug gun for the past 20 yrs. and am very well satisfied with it. Provides comfortable non-slip carry and is very durable, mine shows little to no signs of wear after all this time. They also make a binocular strap that I can recommend, takes the weight of a set of bigger binoculars off your neck.
Originally Posted by skeen
Ultimate Rifle Sling - I have 4, maybe 5 of these, including having used one on a 11lb. RRA LAR-8 X-1 .308.

https://ultimategunsling.com/shop/ultimate-rifle-and-shotgun-sling/

That's the ticket!
Originally Posted by KenMi
Butler Creek Alaskan Magnum sling. Most comfortable one I have used. I have 2, and put stainless swivels on both of them.

These work. I salted away a bunch of old comfort techs. My favorite by far.
Another Vero Vellini fan here..... although that Butler Creek Alaskan Magnum looks awful interesting every time I see one.
Posted By: las Re: Sling for heavier rifle needed - 04/24/18
I don't use shoulder slings.

I use Cabelas "Safari" slings. You can use them as over the shoulder if you insist, or as a wrap for shooting (takes practice), but is better slung at hip level to the side. Easy one-hand muzzle control while walking, and one does not have to "adjust" to use binoculars, a walking staff, etc. Especially handy if you are wearing a back pack. Tightening the sling makes them useful as aross-the-chest for snow machine or 4 wheeler use.

Especially handy on walk and spot hunting. One can let go the rifle and use both hands on the binocs without incident or worry.

Comes to shoulder in an instant. Both my tricked out Ru 77 .338 WM and M98 '06 push 10 lbs, and wear them.
Thanks las, I'll give them a look.
Originally Posted by StudDuck

vero vellini

I used the air cushion with my CZ .416 Rigby in Africa and use it at home for my Ultimate Muzzleloader. The best way I have yet found to carry a heavy rifle.

405wcf
© 24hourcampfire