Home
Hi gang! This is my first post here. I'm in the market for a new rifle for deer/elk, both east and west. It'll be a .270 Winchester for sure. I haven't bought a new rifle in years and have a Winchester 70 in .30-06 which I love, but the dang thing weighs nearly 9 pounds scoped. I'm tired of packing all that weight. I want something reliable, all-weather, accurate out of the box, somewhere around 6-6.5 lbs unscoped, and with some pride of ownership. I've considered the new Kimber Hunter, but I know some guys seem to like Tikkas (which I understand are made by Sako). The Ruger American and Savage rifles are reported to be accurate, but they just feel cheap in my hands (which dings the pride of ownership thing). I've got about a $1,000 budget for the rifle alone. I'd love to hear your experiences and recommendations.
Thanks!
Since you seem to be looking for a lighter weight rifle my vote would be for a Kimber Montana.
Aside from your weight restriction, I'd suggest a Ruger Hawkeye AW. To me, that leaves a Tikka, or maybe one of the light Winchester Model 70s, but I've lost track of those models. The Tikkas don't appeal to me visually, but they sure seem to shoot and function well. A stainless one in a laminated stock might make your weight and still be weather-resistant and a touch nicer to feed your pride-of-ownership beast.

Or find another $600 and shop for a good deal on a Barrett Fieldcraft.
Maybe an edge tech McMillan for the 70 already in possession?
Another vote for the Kimber Montana.
A proven (I.E. used) Kimber Montana would be my first choice, Tikka my second. At least for that chambering.

Found some old notes:

Tikka 30-06 LW M8/M1 7#2oz

Kimber 270 LW M8/CDS 6#8oz
I thought about that, mathman, but since hate to spend that much money on a stock and still have blued steel to contend with. I occasionally hunt in the rain and feel the need for something a bit more weather resistant for those days. And besides, an extra rifle is always a good thing, right?
https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...altree-hardwoods-hd/2313228.uts?slotId=2
I like the Remington 700 Mountain SS quite a bit, 6.5lbs and less than $900 real world price. A lot of people reccomended the Tikka to me but I just couldn’t get excited about it.
Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed

I saw that grovey. Looks very nice, and is one I'm considering. Don't know anyone who owns a Tikka, but from threads on here, everyone that owns one seems to REALLY like it.
I haven't seen a Browning X-Bolt that did not shoot well. I'm in a similar boat myself right now and the Kimber Montana (and Hunter) and X-Bolt keep swapping places in the race to the top. The X-Bolt is slightly heavier than either Kimber, but my confidence in expected accuracy is not there with the Kimbers (too many "Kimber Roulette" posts around the Campfire, maybe?).

But then again, having some work done on an already existing M70 would bring the weight down some (chopping, fluting, McMillan Edge stock, etc.),
Originally Posted by JJWise
I like the Remington 700 Mountain SS quite a bit, 6.5lbs and less than $900 real world price. A lot of people reccomended the Tikka to me but I just couldn’t get excited about it.

My problem here is that I owned a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle years ago and I could never get the darned thing to shoot as well as I wanted. Best I could do was 1.5" groups. Certainly enough to hunt with, and I killed a pile of deer with it, but it seems like I should be able to do better than that today.
Originally Posted by shankbone
I haven't seen a Browning X-Bolt that did not shoot well. I'm in a similar boat myself right now and the Kimber Montana (and Hunter) and X-Bolt keep swapping places in the race to the top. The X-Bolt is slightly heavier than either Kimber, but my confidence in expected accuracy is not there with the Kimbers (too many "Kimber Roulette" posts around the Campfire, maybe?).

But then again, having some work done on an already existing M70 would bring the weight down some (chopping, fluting, McMillan Edge stock, etc.),

Yep. You and I are in the same boat. I had looked at and dismissed the Hunter last year simply because I couldn't stand the look of that ugly tan stock. But this year they introduced the Hunter in Realtree Edge camo with a Kimpro II finish on the stainless metal, and it's much much better looking to my eyes. I've read the "Kimber Roulette" posts around the Campfire and don't really know what to make of them. Admittedly I'm a little more nervous than I used to be, but the new Hunter is still in the running nonetheless.

The X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed is another rifle that's caught my eye. I'm looking for a finished rifle somewhere between 7-7.5 pounds, so the Browning's in the race. And it's Cerakoted, which seems like a nice option.

Then there's the Tikka TX3 Superlite Camo version that Cabelas is peddling. . . .

Those three seem to be jockeying for position in my mind right now.
A T3X would be my second choice (behind the X-Bolt HC) but only because I'm an X-Bolt owner and lover. If it were my money I'd buy the non-camo version of the T3X SL from Sportsman's Warehouse and save myself some money.
Accurate out of box and 6 - 6.5 pds, under 1k, objectively says Tikka T3x in my mind.
Pride if ownership is a bit more subjective; I lean towards montana or fieldcraft for this. Downside is you may or will lose some of your objective criteria; montana may/will likely not be as accurate out of the box, and the fieldcraft will be above budget.
Were I in your position I would increase my budget and watch for a deal on a fieldcraft - I have seen them (new) go for $1400.
Originally Posted by FairChaseFood

Yep. You and I are in the same boat. I had looked at and dismissed the Hunter last year simply because I couldn't stand the look of that ugly tan stock. But this year they introduced the Hunter in Realtree Edge camo with a Kimpro II finish on the stainless metal, and it's much much better looking to my eyes. I've read the "Kimber Roulette" posts around the Campfire and don't really know what to make of them. Admittedly I'm a little more nervous than I used to be, but the new Hunter is still in the running nonetheless.

The X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed is another rifle that's caught my eye. I'm looking for a finished rifle somewhere between 7-7.5 pounds, so the Browning's in the race. And it's Cerakoted, which seems like a nice option.

Then there's the Tikka TX3 Superlite Camo version that Cabelas is peddling. . . .

Those three seem to be jockeying for position in my mind right now.

Kimber makes a nice rifle and have had several of them, but I do agree with shankbone - I have a .270 Browning A-bolt Medallion that shoots bug holes no matter what you're feeding it.
Another vote for a Kimber .270. Either a used Montana, or a new Hunter, would be a good choice that would meet your requirements.
My thoughts. These can be had for $1000 and less.
In my order of preference.

#1 M-70 Winchester.
#2 Kimber or Ruger M77 Mk2 (Tie)
#3 CZ 550
#4 Ruger American
#5 Howa, Browning or Weatherby (3 way Tie)
#6 Savage 110
#7 CZ 557
#8 Bergera
#9 Mossberg
#10 Remington 700 (I repair more M700s than all other bolt actions combined)
#11 Tikka (Cannot be repaired Tikka will not stand behind them if they do, nor sell any parts for gunsmiths to service them)
Originally Posted by szihn
My thoughts. These can be had for $1000 and less.
In my order of preference.

#1 M-70 Winchester.
#2 Kimber or Ruger M77 Mk2 (Tie)
#3 CZ 550
#4 Ruger American
#5 Howa, Browning or Weatherby (3 way Tie)
#6 Savage 110
#7 CZ 557
#8 Bergera
#9 Mossberg
#10 Remington 700 (I repair more M700s than all other bolt actions combined)
#11 Tikka (Cannot be repaired Tikka will not stand behind them if they do, nor sell any parts for gunsmiths to service them)

Szihn, that's a pretty incredible statement about Tikka. I'm assuming you know this for an absolute fact. Wonder how a gun company can stay in business when they refuse to service their firearms. Seems like a really bad business model to me, unless they have such absolute confidence in their product that they think they'll never break. Of course anything can break, and Murphy's Law being what it is, that would definitely degrade my confidence in buying a Tikka.
Suggest going to Brownells buying a Howa blued 22-inch, 270 Win barreled action ($400), weight 4.25 lbs. Find and have gunsmith professed in applying Duracoat finish to blued action (epoxy coat first, then Duracoat finish. This is corrosion resistance on steroids and gets better with age ($150). Get the McM Edge about +/- 22 oz. ($500), Acraglass and bed action ($peanuts). Place a Leupold 2.5x8-36mm VXIII (11 oz. at $350)

Total weight w/scope and duracoat about 6.5 lb

Howa action: forged from solid billet of steel, incredible strength and beds wonderfully with large flat front recoil lug for great accuracy, bullet proof M-16 extractor. Set up above will yield match grade accuracy at any hunting distance you can shoot.

Total Cost w/scope: $1,400

Many gun makers have started employing Howa actions as well for their $3,000 custom makes; $5,000 on Sako and Win and other variant actions. Putting the above rifle together will handle and shoot and maybe out handle and out shoot rifles costing $3,000. The effort is not as much as you may think for having a customized firearm. Only another offered choice for you, best of luck.
I'd probably save a few extra dollars and try the Fieldcraft or pick up a used Forbes Rifle.
Without a doubt for under 1k, Tikka T3 Superlite....
Sako A 7 would be worth looking at

My problem here is that I owned a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle years ago and I could never get the darned thing to shoot as well as I wanted. Best I could do was 1.5" groups. Certainly enough to hunt with, and I killed a pile of deer with it, but it seems like I should be able to do better than that today.

1.5” makes me happy for hunting uses, but both of my Remington 700s and my Remington Model 7 will do much better than that
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Suggest going to Brownells buying a Howa blued 22-inch, 270 Win barreled action ($400), weight 4.25 lbs. Find and have gunsmith professed in applying Duracoat finish to blued action (epoxy coat first, then Duracoat finish. This is corrosion resistance on steroids and gets better with age ($150). Get the McM Edge about +/- 22 oz. ($500), Acraglass and bed action ($peanuts). Place a Leupold 2.5x8-36mm VXIII (11 oz. at $350)

Total weight w/scope and duracoat about 6.5 lb

Howa action: forged from solid billet of steel, incredible strength and beds wonderfully with large flat front recoil lug for great accuracy, bullet proof M-16 extractor. Set up above will yield match grade accuracy at any hunting distance you can shoot.

Total Cost w/scope: $1,400

Many gun makers have started employing Howa actions as well for their $3,000 custom makes; $5,000 on Sako and Win and other variant actions. Putting the above rifle together will handle and shoot and maybe out handle and out shoot rifles costing $3,000. The effort is not as much as you may think for having a customized firearm. Only another offered choice for you, best of luck.

Rossimp, good suggestion. And I already have the 2.5-8 VXIII scope, which is exactly what I'd planned on putting on the new rifle, whatever it turns out to be. ;-)

Szihn, that's a pretty incredible statement about Tikka. I'm assuming you know this for an absolute fact. Wonder how a gun company can stay in business when they refuse to service their firearms. Seems like a really bad business model to me, unless they have such absolute confidence in their product that they think they'll never break. Of course anything can break, and Murphy's Law being what it is, that would definitely degrade my confidence in buying a Tikka.

It’s an incredible claim because it’s not true. Berretta isn’t the easiest to deal with on some things, but getting parts is easy, and they have warrantied every actual gun problem that I know about. The difference being that they don’t have near the problems that others do.
I just bought a left over T3 270 stainless at eurooptic for $499 before tax. That leaves a substantial surplus of cabbage for other amenities. Heck I may have her cerakoted and the bolt fluted just for giggles. Its been a while since I had a T3 done up.
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
and they have warrantied every actual gun problem that I know about.

Maybe you aren't aware of the Sako 85 ejection problems so many have run into?

Telling a customer that the rifle works properly as long as he doesn't mount a scope on it, or asking them to mount it 2" high is hardly backing the product.

Lots of guys on this site have interacted with Beretta CS on this issue, only to be told to pound sand.
I heard the Maytag repairman retired and moved to Finland.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sako A 7 would be worth looking at

+1 or a T3x superlite and call it done
Tikka is my recommendation.

Look for threads concerning Tikka problems - you will look very hard to find any. I have owned a half-dozen T-3's throughout the years and the only thing that has been done to them is to back the trigger spring out to get the trigger to 2 lbs, mount a scope on it and go shoot little tiny groups with utter reliability and consistency. I just sold one of my stainless/synthetic 223's to a fellow site member and he is amazed that an out of the box sporter can consistently shoot 5 shot one-half inch groups.

Check out Whittakerguns website, they are easy to deal with and their prices are generally better than Sportsmans or Cabelas. They have them in blued and walnut, stainless and synthetic, walnut and stainless and also have some with laminated stocks, although I would avoid the laminate because it will be heavier than either walnut or synthetic.

drover
Well I am a full time gunsmith and I have been for many decades. I stopped taking custom work 1-1/2 years ago because I am getting too old to keep piling on new work, and I need to shorten the back log, but YES I know for a fact 100% that Tikka doesn't service their guns and YES know for a fact they won't sell part. I have done work for a few of the shops in Wyoming including the largest one in the middle of the state,and parts loss or breakage on Tikka's is not as common as on Remingtons, but I can get parts for Remingtons. I have to MAKE parts from Tikkas except for the part that is the biggest problem. THE BOLT You see the bolt handle is dovetailed and press fitted into the bolt body on some of the models. I have seen 4 of them come to my shop where the rear of the dovetail in the bolt (not the bolt handle, the bolt itself) broke away. They break right through the threads and cannot be repaired.

In the last 3 years I have had 4 Tikka's brought to me with this problem. A broken bolt! that renders the gun 100% useless. Tikka would not even consider replacing the rifle, or the bolt. They would not consider selling the customer a new gun at a reduced price. They were so unreasonable they they tried to sell then new rifles at FULL RETAIL and would do NOTHING else.

So....if you think I am wrong, go check it out. Call them and see.

That is the one reason I rank Tikka as the very worst bet for a new rifle purchase. If you never have a problem you are going to be fine, (and you probably will not if we look at the statistics) and the rifles are VERY accurate. But if you do, you will probably just end up throwing the rifle in the trash. If you are stupid (my customers were not) you will let them sell you a new Tikka to replace the old defective Tikka.
Thanks, all! This has been a very helpful discussion. Based on the responses, which I tallied just for reference, the Kimber (Montana/Hunter, which I lump together) and Tikka get the most votes, with the Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed coming in third. Those three were at the top of my list as well. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something I didn't know about. It appears not. Sounds like I can't really go too far wrong with any of them. Kimber and Browning are USA companies, although the Brownings are likely made overseas, not that that radically influences my decision one way or the other. Anyway, I need to go to a gunstore and fondle them some more. ;-)
I like the Remington 700 Mountain SS quite a bit, 6.5lbs and less than $900 real world price. A lot of people recommended the Tikka to me but I just couldn’t get excited about it.

This ^^^^^^^^^^

Or buy an original Rem 700 Ti..............they are around, like new, but will cost you a little more than your grand budget.

Or go the "semi-custom" route with an older Rem 700 MR, restock it with an MR Edge fill or a KS pattern stock, cerrokote the metal & you'll have a top shelf rifle that you can take lot of pride in owning............might still exceed your budget by a little though.

Tikka's are stone azz ugly.............but they do shoot.

MM
There aren't many options if you really want to stay at 6 1/2lbs and $1k. Tikka or A7 gets my vote. Wichester Extreme or a 700 Mountain Rifle are worth checking into for another half a pound or so
Used Montana gets him there with a pound to spare, but if he wants new and out of box accurate T3x or A7 as you suggested...
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

Maybe you aren't aware of the Sako 85 ejection problems so many have run into?

Telling a customer that the rifle works properly as long as he doesn't mount a scope on it, or asking them to mount it 2" high is hardly backing the product.

Lots of guys on this site have interacted with Beretta CS on this issue, only to be told to pound sand.

I am aware. However, my post was about Tikka, and while Beretta May handle both, the only instances that I actually know about first hand where there was something wrong with a Tikka- they did their job. Having used the Sako 85, even without the ejection problems I found nothing about them that I prefer over a T3.

Well I am a full time gunsmith and I have been for many decades. I stopped taking custom work 1-1/2 years ago because I am getting too old to keep piling on new work, and I need to shorten the back log, but YES I know for a fact 100% that Tikka doesn't service their guns and YES know for a fact they won't sell part. I have done work for a few of the shops in Wyoming including the largest one in the middle of the state,and parts loss or breakage on Tikka's is not as common as on Remingtons, but I can get parts for Remingtons. I have to MAKE parts from Tikkas except for the part that is the biggest problem. THE BOLT You see the bolt handle is dovetailed and press fitted into the bolt body on some of the models. I have seen 4 of them come to my shop where the rear of the dovetail in the bolt (not the bolt handle, the bolt itself) broke away. They break right through the threads and cannot be repaired.

In the last 3 years I have had 4 Tikka's brought to me with this problem. A broken bolt! that renders the gun 100% useless. Tikka would not even consider replacing the rifle, or the bolt. They would not consider selling the customer a new gun at a reduced price. They were so unreasonable they they tried to sell then new rifles at FULL RETAIL and would do NOTHING else.

That is the one reason I rank Tikka as the very worst bet for a new rifle purchase. If you never have a problem you are going to be fine, (and you probably will not if we look at the statistics) and the rifles are VERY accurate. But if you do, you will probably just end up throwing the rifle in the trash. If you are stupid (my customers were not) you will let them sell you a new Tikka to replace the old defective Tikka.

Umm... It’s super hard to get a T3 bolt.... especially with them being in stock at Brownells.

As for the broken bolts- what caused it? Because I’ve seen one, and I also saw what caused it. I don’t know that an AI wouldn’t have broke under the same stress.

Another vote for Tikka

No need to spend $200 more for the same stock in camo, go this route

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com...ctDetail/Tikka/prod99999046876/cat131914
Tikka T-3 Superlite......

I would not play the Kimber roulette.... unless you're a masochist. LOL
M70 Ext Weather and be done...
Am I the only one not wanting to say the "C" word?
Originally Posted by 16bore

C word?
Originally Posted by Fotis
Tikka T-3 Superlite......

I would not play the Kimber roulette.... unless you're a masochist. LOL

This is extremely good advice......Hb
Originally Posted by TomM1
M70 Ext Weather and be done...

Excellent rifle but it exceeds the OP's weight limit of 6-6.5lbs bare rifle.....Hb

C word?

No thread about rifles can exist in 2018 without mentioning 6.5 Creedmore.
NO NO Not the Creed!

grin
Kimber would be my last choice because of customer care....
Formidilosus corrected me (in part) and said
" It’s super hard to get a T3 bolt.... especially with them being in stock at Brownells"

Well that was news to me. I repaired a lost extractor just last November and had to make it from bar stock. There was one business that sells them as an aftermarket part, but none were available right then and the elk season was on. The man needed his gun "now" so I made the extractor for him

Anyway I went to see the Brownells sight and sure enough, they are now carrying (in theory) some Tikka parts. I assume they are actually Tikka parts too, not after market.

But you were not correct about them being in stock.

Look right on the site and it says in print that it is a "special order item", and takes 5 weeks to get.

So I will concede that it's a huge step in the right direction, but I am still not convinced that having them tell you they will not fix a broken bolt is good business, and especially when you see that part will cost you about 1/2 the cost of the original rifle.

What causes them to break?
They are just fitted too tight. And the steel on the back of the bolt body is quite thin. The last one that I was asked about fixing broke in front of me when a man opened the bolt at the gun shop in Riverton Wyoming and the handle came off in his hand, and the rear of the bolt hit the rug.

I expect the female dovetail is cut undersized so a press fit can be used, but such a press fit should be maybe .001" undersized on the female dovetail and I am going to guess Tikka is cutting them about .003"-.005" under. I don't know for certain. What I do know is that they break off sometimes and when they do (or did in the last 3 years) Tikka will not do ANYTHING to help.

I don't believe it's because of defective ammo and hard extraction because 2 of the guns brought to me were fired with factory ammo. One was shot with handloads but those loads were done by a man who doesn't push the pressures, and the last one broke when it was unloaded and still had the price tag hanging on it's trigger guard.

In any case, I know of NO other gun company that would tell you "tough luck" if one of their bolt bodies BROKE and EVERY other one I know of would replace the bolt or the gun is such a thing happened. Tikka should too.

Even if Brownells stocked them (they do not) the customer should not have to pay $439 to fix something that is NOT his fault after he already paid about $750 for the rifle in the 1st place. Would you disagree?

If they have changed their policy and are now doing so (I have not heard in 7 months, but as of last November they would not) then that's good. I would have to guess that the word is starting to get out, and sooner or later they would HAVE TO change of go out of business, but so far, what I know from calling them is that they will do NOTHING to help.

If they do change their policy I will be the 1st to tell people, but until I hear it from the Rep at Tikka, I am not going to believe it. But I am hoping they prove me wrong soon.
A Ruger Hawkeye for $449 would be the way I would go for a .270.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/270-hm77rgh-22-mat-grn-hogue.html?___SID=U#.WupL7dMvzGI
I'd ditch the the Hogue tock, call Ruger and get a regular synthetic stock instead, about $125.

What I did do was get an All Weather Ruger Hawkeye .280 instead. These are available with a standard synthetic or Hogue stock, your choice, for $449.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/280-hm77rp-22-syn.html?___SID=U#.WupMhNMvzGI

My Ruger .280 has proven to be very accurate with a variety of bullet weights but I primarily use it with 140's. If you don't reload a .270 may be a better choice.
" It’s super hard to get a T3 bolt.... especially with them being in stock at Brownells"

Well that was news to me. I repaired a lost extractor just last November and had to make it from bar stock. There was one business that sells them as an aftermarket part, but none were available right then and the elk season was on. The man needed his gun "now" so I made the extractor for him

Anyway I went to see the Brownells sight and sure enough, they are now carrying (in theory) some Tikka parts. I assume they are actually Tikka parts too, not after market.

Look right on the site and it says in print that it is a "special order item", and takes 5 weeks to get.

So I will concede that it's a huge step in the right direction, but I am still not convinced that having them tell you they will not fix a broken bolt is good business, and especially when you see that part will cost you about 1/2 the cost of the original rifle.

They are just fitted too tight. And the steel on the back of the bolt body is quite thin. The last one that I was asked about fixing broke in front of me when a man opened the bolt at the gun shop in Riverton Wyoming and the handle came off in his hand, and the rear of the bolt hit the rug.

I expect the female dovetail is cut undersized so a press fit can be used, but such a press fit should be maybe .001" undersized on the female dovetail and I am going to guess Tikka is cutting them about .003"-.005" under. I don't know for certain. What I do know is that they break off sometimes and when they do (or did in the last 3 years) Tikka will not do ANYTHING to help.

I don't believe it's because of defective ammo and hard extraction because 2 of the guns brought to me were fired with factory ammo. One was shot with handloads but those loads were done by a man who doesn't push the pressures, and the last one broke when it was unloaded and still had the price tag hanging on it's trigger guard.

In any case, I know of NO other gun company that would tell you "tough luck" if one of their bolt bodies BROKE and EVERY other one I know of would replace the bolt or the gun is such a thing happened. Tikka should too.

Even if Brownells stocked them (they do not) the customer should not have to pay $439 to fix something that is NOT his fault after he already paid about $750 for the rifle in the 1st place. Would you disagree?

If they have changed their policy and are now doing so (I have not heard in 7 months, but as of last November they would not) then that's good. I would have to guess that the word is starting to get out, and sooner or later they would HAVE TO change of go out of business, but so far, what I know from calling them is that they will do NOTHING to help.

If they do change their policy I will be the 1st to tell people, but until I hear it from the Rep at Tikka, I am not going to believe it. But I am hoping they prove me wrong soon.
midwest gunworks has T3 bolt's (full assembly) in stock for $369.....I know Beretta CS sucks azz as I tried to get them to fix My brand new Sako 85 with the straight up ejection issue....I have never had or seen an issue with any of the 2 dozen or so Tikka's I have either owned or buddies have, I doubt your really rolling the dice too much when you buy a Tikka like say when you take a spin at the Kimber roulette wheel.......Hb
X-Bolt Stainless Stalker or a plain-Jane 700 ADL Stainless.
I'd also get a Ruger stainless in a their plastic stock, which will come in right about 7 pounds. If you need to lose that extra half pound, then get a LAW/High Tech/Bansner stock for it. Better gun all-around for tough hunting, and will have nice balance with the lightweight stock especially.
I thought Ruger discontinued the All Weather. That one at CDNN is....blued.
Originally Posted by DollarShort

They are, for now, but still to be found. My first choice, but like the Vanguard SS (only SS Howa now available), it'll be tough to make weight and stay within budget. Both are rock-solid, but with weight to match.

The Kimbers have it all, but are apparently a kit gun often enough to give me pause, just like a certain popular scope brand. I'm too old to spend time fixing new stuff.
Just saw the new Sauer 100 in the June 2018 G&A mag. It's their version of the Ruger American with MSRP of $700. Looks interesting.

http://www.breachbangclear.com/sauer-100-new-rifles-sauer-sohn/

DF
I really can't think of a better 270 rifle for under $1000 than this:

https://www.eurooptic.com/sako-85-black-270-win-jrs1c18.aspx

Guaranteed 5 shot 100yd sub MOA accurate. It's basically a Finnlite with a steel floor plate. Awesome rifle for a closeout under $1k price, normally $1599.00.

If you want to spend a little less, the Tikka would also be a fine rifle:

https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXB318-Tikka-Tikka-T3x-Lite-270-Win-S-S-SYN-224--barrel-MP.aspx

The Sako is the upscale rifle from the same company. The Tikka has a 3shot 100yd accuracy guarantee. The Tikka is a fine rifle also.

Full disclosure is that I bought this Sako rifle (bought one in 270 and one in 6.5x55). Both are drills. Great rifles.

If you want to spend a little less buy the Tikka. If you want the best you can get for under $1k, buy the Sako!!

I also can't recommend Eurooptics enough. I've bought from a lot of vendors including the ones on this forum. Eurooptics is flat out the best. Absolute gold standard to buy from, I bought something from them earlier today!

.................dj
Still don't see the Tikka bolt issue. IIRC the last time I took the striker out the handle slipped in the dovetail rather easy.

I would love to see a picture of the broken bolt

I find it quite odd that a gunsmith with all your experience has never disassembled a T3 bolt, but has seen 3 busted ones.

C word?

No thread about rifles can exist in 2018 without mentioning 6.5 Creedmore.

Why!!! You just had to do it didn't you? We were doing so well. Just HAD to say it.
Still don't see the Tikka bolt issue. IIRC the last time I took the striker out the handle slipped in the dovetail rather easy.

I think there are still people out there that think you can solve a locked up action with a wooden mallet. A lot of Remingtons lost their handles to the same remedy. There is no reason on God's green earth to blow out the dove tail of a Tikka bolt. Unless you take a effing hammer to it.
Originally Posted by djpaintless
I really can't think of a better 270 rifle for under $1000 than this:

Guaranteed 5 shot 100yd sub MOA accurate. It's basically a Finnlite with a steel floor plate. Awesome rifle for a closeout under $1k price, normally $1599.00.

If you want to spend a little less, the Tikka would also be a fine rifle:

https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXB318-Tikka-Tikka-T3x-Lite-270-Win-S-S-SYN-224--barrel-MP.aspx

The Sako is the upscale rifle from the same company. The Tikka has a 3shot 100yd accuracy guarantee. The Tikka is a fine rifle also.

Full disclosure is that I bought this Sako rifle (bought one in 270 and one in 6.5x55). Both are drills. Great rifles.

If you want to spend a little less buy the Tikka. If you want the best you can get for under $1k, buy the Sako!!

I also can't recommend Eurooptics enough. I've bought from a lot of vendors including the ones on this forum. Eurooptics is flat out the best. Absolute gold standard to buy from, I bought something from them earlier today!

.................dj

I love driving the 3 hours to their store. Took my oldest daughter along last Sat. Amazed is a good word for it. Held her first Blaser and Mauser. It helped me make a case for her finishing her degree. So she can actually buy nice rifles,instead of just drooling on them like her Dad.
Sako A7 Kimber Montana Mod 70 featherweight.
Originally Posted by Otter6

I think there are still people out there that think you can solve a locked up action with a wooden mallet. A lot of Remingtons lost their handles to the same remedy. There is no reason on God's green earth to blow out the dove tail of a Tikka bolt. Unless you take a effing hammer to it.

I guess if you wanted to neck down brass by jamming it in the chamber it might take a little beating. Now that I think about it, the handle won't stay in the body without the striker assembly. When I set my dies I had it out to feel headspace.
A bit over I know, but a Model 70 FW stainless lists at 7 pounds even. Mine(blued in .257 Roberts) is just under 8 pounds scoped.
but I can get parts for Remingtons. I have to MAKE parts from Tikkas except for the part that is the biggest problem. THE BOLT You see the bolt handle is dovetailed and press fitted into the bolt body on some of the models. I have seen 4 of them come to my shop where the rear of the dovetail in the bolt (not the bolt handle, the bolt itself) broke away. They break right through the threads and cannot be repaired.

What threads? there are no threads on the inside of a tikka bolt body unless I am mistaken. I will go home and check mine out but pretty sure the firing pin assembly just slides into the bolt body. Were these people using aftermarket Tikka handles? My experience has been the bolt handle has fit in the dovetail in a very precise manner.
Folks go back as actually read what I wrote.

Note...it was not 3 of them broken it was 4. One of which was not being fired, and broke when a prospective customer was just handling it in the shop. Empty. Never loaded.

Now, speaking just for myself, I don't care one way or another. I don't have a dog in the fight. If one breaks and I can't get the part I newed to fix it is costs me nothing, not even any time.

This thread started as someone asking for recommendations. I gave mine. And I said why the Tikka was on the bottom of my list
I don't care if someone else have others.
Tikka owners will probably never have a problem if we look at the numbers of broken bolts compared to the number of rifles sold.
But if the reader has any sense at all, they will realize that the same comparison must be made with every makers guns.
So how many other makers guns have you heard of that had their bolt bodys break? Remingtons do rarely come off, but can be put back. The solder joint can comes loose but no damage is done to the bolt body.

And if there were at least those other companies will replace them free.

That's why I put the Winchester, CZ 550 and Ruger M77s at the top.
Browning X-Bolt Hell’s Canyon Speed.

I’ve been around three of them and they are all astonishingly accurate and function both smoothly and flawlessly. Absolutely zero tinkering or adjustments required. One each of 6.5 Creedmoor, 26 Nosler and .270 WSM all sub-MOA right out of the box with factory ammo. Try doing THAT with a Kimber!

My second choice would be a new Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Stainless. Maybe 1/2 a pound heavier, but oh, so beautiful.

Note...it was not 3 of them broken it was 4. One of which was not being fired, and broke when a prospective customer was just handling it in the shop. Empty. Never loaded.

Now, speaking just for myself, I don't care one way or another. I don't have a dog in the fight. If one breaks and I can't get the part I newed to fix it is costs me nothing, not even any time.

This thread started as someone asking for recommendations. I gave mine. And I said why the Tikka was on the bottom of my list
Tikka owners will probably never have a problem if we look at the numbers of broken bolts compared to the number of rifles sold.
But if the reader has any sense at all, they will realize that the same comparison must be made with every makers guns.
So how many other makers guns have you heard of that had their bolt bodys break? Remingtons do rarely come off, but can be put back. The solder joint can comes loose but no damage is done to the bolt body. Kimber

quoting out of context is very common here, especially when someone talks bad about a tikka. Facts don't seem to matter....
another tikka t3 superlite vote.

So how many other makers guns have you heard of that had their bolt bodys break? Remingtons do rarely come off, but can be put back. The solder joint can comes loose but no damage is done to the bolt body.

If you told me that guys had Tikkas in scabbards and horses were rolling on em I’d buy it, but I find it very hard to believe that there isn’t a single thread on this forum or any other about T3 bolts breaking and IME after owning over a dozen of them and another dozen amongst friends that all of a sudden there is phenomenon in Riverton WY where Tikka bolts are breaking with some sort of regularity? C’mon man
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

If you told me that guys had Tikkas in scabbards and horses were rolling on em I’d buy it, but I find it very hard to believe that there isn’t a single thread on this forum or any other about T3 bolts breaking and IME after owning over a dozen of them and another dozen amongst friends that all of a sudden there is phenomenon in Riverton WY where Tikka bolts are breaking with some sort of regularity? C’mon man
Its a cheap gun made to meet a price point. Why is it so hard to believe that they may have problems?
I light of the last posts above I must say I didn’t read the whole thread but I still have an opinion 😀 With the budget and the weight constraints of the OP my choice and really the only one I can think of except maybe a Kimber Hunter would be Tikka T3x super light stainless all day long and twice on Sunday. In fact I just took my own advice and did just that now I’m having fun and making it my own.
.......270 Winchester...... with some pride of ownership.....

Those two things are mutually exclusive.....

But..... a .270 X-Bolt.... with that high gloss finish and gold trigger, positively screams Pride (parade) of Ownership....

If you just want a light, accurate, killing machine.... the Tikka wins by a mile.
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

But..... a .270 X-Bolt.... with that high gloss finish and gold trigger, positively screams Pride (parade) of Ownership....

If you just want a light, accurate, killing machine.... the Tikka wins by a mile.

Shoot the Rainbow. grin

Thanks, all! This has been a very helpful discussion. Based on the responses, which I tallied just for reference, the Kimber (Montana/Hunter, which I lump together) and Tikka get the most votes, with the Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed coming in third. Those three were at the top of my list as well. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something I didn't know about. It appears not. Sounds like I can't really go too far wrong with any of them. Kimber and Browning are USA companies, although the Brownings are likely made overseas, not that that radically influences my decision one way or the other. Anyway, I need to go to a gunstore and fondle them some more. ;-)

It's threads like these that keep my head spinning all night with mental spreadsheets and lists of barrel lengths, safety style, stock options, and overall weights. Of course, if I had the budget, I'd buy each of the usual suspects when this thread comes up and only hang onto the one that rang the bells the best.

I just found this SHOT Show Special Browning X-Bolt Stainless Western Hunter with brake (6 pounds, 9 ounces) at CDNN. It would be a fine rifle to flute and shoot, but I'm not a .270 guy. https://www.cdnnsports.com/browning...atacs-au-camo.html?___SID=U#.Wus9-YgvwdU

True, but still $449 - which makes them a bargain in my book. Mine is an All Weather but I got it a couple years ago from another source.

It's threads like these that keep my head spinning all night with mental spreadsheets and lists of barrel lengths, safety style, stock options, and overall weights. Of course, if I had the budget, I'd buy each of the usual suspects when this thread comes up and only hang onto the one that rang the bells the best.

I just found this SHOT Show Special Browning X-Bolt Stainless Western Hunter with brake (6 pounds, 9 ounces) at CDNN. It would be a fine rifle to flute and shoot, but I'm not a .270 guy. https://www.cdnnsports.com/browning...atacs-au-camo.html?___SID=U#.Wus9-YgvwdU

Ha! That's me as well, shankbone. I've got just such a spreadsheet, and have analyzed it to death. But of course a spreadsheet can't tell you anything about how a gun shoots, how it feels in your hands, and whether it gives you what I call the "gooeys." ;-)
Originally Posted by Pappy348

They are, for now, but still to be found. My first choice, but like the Vanguard SS (only SS Howa now available), it'll be tough to make weight and stay within budget. Both are rock-solid, but with weight to match.

I saw a lightly used Hawkeye AW listed for sale in .223 a couple of weeks ago. And I would've overlooked the weight because I really like everything else about it, but I was in the wrong place at the right time..... the search continues.
Originally Posted by qwk
[quote=szihn]

Its a cheap gun made to meet a price point. Why is it so hard to believe that they may have problems?

Because people run to the internet whenever something like that happens, ie Remington bolt handles falling off, My Kimber is POS and won’t feed or shoot correctly, etc... There are hundreds of Tikkas owned by Campfire members from all over the country that have used them from Alaska to Africa, yet not one person has mentioned a broken bolt, but I am to believe that in Riverton Wyoming (where my wife was born and raised by the way) a town of 10,000 people, there have been multiple broken bolts on Tikkas, just don’t get it.

If you step up to the 270 WSM, You'll not only participate in the parade...You can lead it wearing a pink feathered boa and eye sequins...I can loan you my "Pussy Hat" if buying a WSM will set you back financially.

If you are thinking 270 Win...Why wouldn't you look at the improvements of the 270 WSM over it??? Just straight comparison with Nosler off the shelf box numbers on 140gr NAB's...270 Win has a 2900 FPS at the muzzy...500 yards it's 2032...600 yards it's 1880.

The 270 WSM with same 140 NAB's, has 3100 @ muzzle...500 yards 2200....600 yards 2035... It's a good improvement ballistically over the Win and the WSM is a short action...IMO, of all the WSM offerings, the 270 WSM gained the most compared to others.

It's well known that I recently bought a Nosler M48 Patriot in 270 WSM. I am liking what I've seen from the "Little Squirt" on paper...It's the lightest hunting rifle I've owned and with the 140gr NAB's, I will have no hesitation taking a deer out to 535 yards in the right conditions...
Just checked in a couple places...these would all meet your criteria(in no particular order)

Sako 85

Mauser

Sauer

Just tossing a few more options out there, not endorsing any of them.
I picked up one of those last Fall, NIB, after a brief misguided fling with an AR that cost me my Vanguard S2. No real loss, because the S2 was an early one with the old slow-twist barrel. The AW shoots 55gr TTSXs just fine. The AW is a bit lighter too, and to my eye seems a bit trimmer.

The Vanguards are nice guns, but the SA is a bit large for a .223. I keep hoping Weatherby will order up some SS Mini Actions with hinged floorplates or blind mags, since Howa won't make them to sell under their logo.

[quote] Because people run to the internet whenever something like that happens, ie Remington bolt handles falling off,

****My Kimber is POS and won’t feed or shoot correctly, etc... ****

There are hundreds of Tikkas owned by Campfire members from all over the country that have used them from Alaska to Africa, yet not one person has mentioned a broken bolt, but I am to believe that in Riverton Wyoming (where my wife was born and raised by the way) a town of 10,000 people, there have been multiple broken bolts on Tikkas, just don’t get it.

Kimber Roulette is famous.

Tikka broken bolts.... not nearly as well advertised.

I won’t gamble on the Kimber
My first Tikka T 3 Lite was bought in 2003 - 270 Win
My second Tikka T3x Lite was bought this year - 7 RM

Jerry
Originally Posted by Beaver10

If you step up to the 270 WSM, You'll not only participate in the parade...You can lead it wearing a pink feathered boa and eye sequins...I can loan you my "Pussy Hat" if buying a WSM will set you back financially.

If you are thinking 270 Win...Why wouldn't you look at the improvements of the 270 WSM over it??? Just straight comparison with Nosler off the shelf box numbers on 140gr NAB's...270 Win has a 2900 FPS at the muzzy...500 yards it's 2032...600 yards it's 1880.

The 270 WSM with same 140 NAB's, has 3100 @ muzzle...500 yards 2200....600 yards 2035... It's a good improvement ballistically over the Win and the WSM is a short action...IMO, of all the WSM offerings, the 270 WSM gained the most compared to others.

It's well known that I recently bought a Nosler M48 Patriot in 270 WSM. I am liking what I've seen from the "Little Squirt" on paper...It's the lightest hunting rifle I've owned and with the 140gr NAB's, I will have no hesitation taking a deer out to 535 yards in the right conditions...

Well, on paper you're right, of course. However, the advantages of a .270 WSM don't mean that awful much at 400 yards and under, which is where I limit my shots, and I doubt anything I shot at those ranges would know the difference. In all honesty, I like to get much closer than that if at all possible. Plus, I can find .270 Winchester ammo just about anywhere in the world. No, for what I need doing, the .270 Win. will do just fine. But to be purely politically corect, I affirm and celebrate your love for the .270 WSM. You gotta love what you love, man. ;-)

Well they sent me a new bolt shroud for free so I don’t really care if they “sell” parts or not!
Originally Posted by Wesley2

Well they sent me a new bolt shroud for free so I don’t really care if they “sell” parts or not!

Very Nice ! Good to know.

Jerry

A plastic one, or a metal one?

Well, on paper you're right, of course. However, the advantages of a .270 WSM don't mean that awful much at 400 yards and under, which is where I limit my shots, and I doubt anything I shot at those ranges would know the difference. In all honesty, I like to get much closer than that if at all possible. Plus, I can find .270 Winchester ammo just about anywhere in the world. No, for what I need doing, the .270 Win. will do just fine. But to be purely politically corect, I affirm and celebrate your love for the .270 WSM. You gotta love what you love, man. ;-)

FCFood....I get it... You don’t want my boa and P-Hat 😎 Let us know what you end up with...Best, Mark

A plastic one, it was before the metal ones came out. The customer service guy said they only get about one call a year for a broken plastic one. It was actually my dad’s that cracked but he can screw up an anvil with a rubber mallet.

A plastic one, it was before the metal ones came out. The customer service guy said they only get about one call a year for a broken plastic one. It was actually my dad’s that cracked but he can screw up an anvil with a rubber mallet.

Disassembly and reassembly is why they crack. Just take it easy and make sure everything is aligned right before you reassemble . I used Lumley arms shroud on my T3 and the T3x is made out of some sort of metal.
I use Mountain Tactical stainless shrouds ($69) on My T3x's, they are a nice accessory that looks great.......Hb
Hi gang! This is my first post here. I'm in the market for a new rifle for deer/elk, both east and west. It'll be a .270 Winchester for sure. I haven't bought a new rifle in years and have a Winchester 70 in .30-06 which I love, but the dang thing weighs nearly 9 pounds scoped. I'm tired of packing all that weight. I want something reliable, all-weather, accurate out of the box, somewhere around 6-6.5 lbs unscoped, and with some pride of ownership. I've considered the new Kimber Hunter, but I know some guys seem to like Tikkas (which I understand are made by Sako). The Ruger American and Savage rifles are reported to be accurate, but they just feel cheap in my hands (which dings the pride of ownership thing). I've got about a $1,000 budget for the rifle alone. I'd love to hear your experiences and recommendations.
Thanks!

Here's a Tikka in stainless with a fluted barrel and the nicest walnut I've ever seen on a Tikka. Comes with Optilock rings, probably weights a little under 7 lbs due to the fluting on the barrel. Non-fluted stainless hunters weight 7. And it's right at the $1K mark.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/768672386

I've had several Tikka T3's and all have been shooters. Another possibility apart from what others have suggested would be a Sako A7. They come in right around a grand for stainless.

There's a non-fancy Tikka that is a demo, handled not fired, on Gunbroker, too, for $513. That would leave you funds for a better scope. I like good glass.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/765665179

A Kimber Montana would be a better looking choice by most folks opinions, but accuracy often would not match the Tikka or Sako. It would also be hard to keep the rifle under $1,000.

Best wishes.

FCFood....I get it... You don’t want my boa and P-Hat 😎 Let us know what you end up with...Best, Mark

Ha! Not right now, Mark. But I have saved your info in case I need it down the road. ;-)
Your weight requirement was 6 lbs 8 ounces. I have several winchester featherweights, which would be my choice. They weigh 6 lbs 8 oz to 6 lbs 10 oz. These are the blued wood stocked versions, not the compact, and I find them to be ultra reliable and quite accurate, about 1 inch at 100 yards for four shot groups. They may be more accurate than that but that appears to be my limit not the guns. With a 2x7 leupold scope, talley lightweight rings they weigh about 7 lbs 6 oz. Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by qwk

AFAIC - (as far as I’m concerned), Tikkas are ABOVE the ‘cheap’ rifles. RAR, Salvage, and a few others qualify.

When did $ 700-800. become cheap ?

Jerry
Originally Posted by rbell
Your weight requirement was 6 lbs 8 ounces. I have several winchester featherweights, which would be my choice. They weigh 6 lbs 8 oz to 6 lbs 10 oz. These are the blued wood stocked versions, not the compact, and I find them to be ultra reliable and quite accurate, about 1 inch at 100 yards for four shot groups. They may be more accurate than that but that appears to be my limit not the guns. With a 2x7 leupold scope, talley lightweight rings they weigh about 7 lbs 6 oz. Hope this helps.

^^^^ This. ^^^^
\/ \/ \/ Or This \/ \/ \/ 700 Mountain SS w/B&C stock $734

https://grabagun.com/remington-arms-co-guns-84273-700-mountain-ss-bc-270.html

[Linked Image]

X-Bolt SS $895

https://grabagun.com/browning-x-bolt-ss-stkr-270win-ns.html

[Linked Image]

700 ADL SS $499.99 w/ china bushnell 4-12x40

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/remington-700-adl-270-winchester-bolt-action-rifle

[Linked Image]
I did say an older ruger or Remington.
Originally Posted by qwk

Except that it isn’t. You may think, and magazines may have pushed “economy” on it, however regardless of what it started as- they perform very well. After more than 100k rounds on Tikka’s... they just freakin work.

Just like Glocks were thought as cheap plastic yet turned out to be a far superior design as a combat/duty pistol in actual performance to the then current standard, the T3 has shown to be functionally “better” than most available bolt actions regardless of brand or price.

Let’s look at reality...

A poster says he’s seen four (4) broken bolts from T3’s, one of which was without even shooting it.... that poster also thinks the bolt handle is “press fit” and has threads......

Uh no. Those three things should be enough who has actually shot them and disassembled them to discredit everything that came before and after. i.e.-it’s all bs.
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by qwk

Except that it isn’t. You may think, and magazines may have pushed “economy” on it, however regardless of what it started as- they perform very well. After more than 100k rounds on Tikka’s... they just freakin work.

Just like Glocks were thought as cheap plastic yet turned out to be a far superior design as a combat/duty pistol in actual performance to the then current standard, the T3 has shown to be functionally “better” than most available bolt actions regardless of brand or price.

Let’s look at reality...

A poster says he’s seen four (4) broken bolts from T3’s, one of which was without even shooting it.... that poster also thinks the bolt handle is “press fit” and has threads......

Uh no. Those three things should be enough who has actually shot them and disassembled them to discredit everything that came before and after. i.e.-it’s all bs.

Yes, they work . . . . but the OP did mention pride of ownership.

In most brands, $1000 gets you more than a one-size-fits-all action, a few flutes on the barrel, and a injection molded stock.
Pride of hittin-schit is better.
Yes, and of course Plastikkas are the only rifles that can hit anything crazy
My choice for a new .270 Winchester rifle would be a Weatherby Vanguard "Wilderness" model for the following reasons: 1) 24" barrel for best ballistics for the cartridge 2) Synthetic stock for all weather durability and "solid" action bedding 3) "fluted" barrel for lighter weight and better heat dissipation 4) choice of blue or stainless action/barrel 5) proven and reliable 2 lug action with a "fluted" bolt body action. The bare rifle weighs less than 7 pounds, so putting any reasonable scope and mounts on it still come in under 8 pounds. The action is super smooth without the "three lug bump" of some of the newer bolt action designs (my own bias employed here); and every Vanguard I've shot was super accurate, including the 7 Mag I now own. It's is disappointing to hear of the problems associated with Tikka parts availability; for I have not had a problem with mine and would have suggested a Tikka in their their .270 WSM as an alternative to the Vanguard (the Tikka .270 Win. does not come in a 24" BBL - my preference!). Since Beretta has taken over several firearm companies, including Sako, Tikka, and Uberti, I've noticed that customer service has been "diffused" (put on the "back burner", so to speak) from my past experience working at a gun store that sold them all. They are pretty good about taking care of original Beretta products, but don't seem to pay as much attention to the subsidiary companies under their banner. I've not heard the same problems coming from Sako, but then Tikka is their lower price point product with a Sako barrel. Beretta is an old traditional firearms company; I'd hate to see them go the way of Remington and Winchester. Brownell's deserves some credit for picking up the "slack".

They’re the shortest distance between two points, no doubt.

For a G.... you could go Tikka + McM.... and that’s a solid combo... with a little panache.

To me.... you have to look hard for a reason NOT to go Tikka, especially since it’s a LA cartridge anyway.
Well, unless I buy used, or want CM, I don't think $1K will do it.

And of course, if going that far I'd want to replace the bottom plastic too.

Pretty easy to turn a Tikka into a $1500 gun (that most still see as a $700 gun).
A lot easier, and far more common, to drop $1500 on a pretty Rifle that shoots like schitt and weighs a pound more....
I'll let you know when it happens.

Hell, I could get a Fieldcraft for what I would have in the polished turd.

A bunch lighter, and I have zero doubt it will shoot right with the Tikka.

Tikkas are for guys that don't care what the gun looks like, as long as it works. They're an imported Savage.

I couldn't see spending any money on one to try and make it look good.

You mentioned “pride of ownership” in the original post - as such, I think it’s pretty hard to beat the Ruger Hawkeye in blued steel/walnut. Seal the inside of the stock and you’re all set. It’s CRF, terrific safety that holds back the striker, real steel floor plate/trigger guard, fantastic trigger of an open design, and don’t forget the integral scope bases. I love a good Model 70 Winchester, but I’m hard pressed to say it’s equal to this Ruger for the money involved.
[quote=WhelenAway]I could get a Fieldcraft for what I would have in the polished turd.
[/I quote]

No.... you can’t....

If you did.... then you’re even stupider than I thought you were.
Here you go Dogdick.

$1450 Fieldcraft

Ok. Your turn for show-n-tell dumbass.

Show me a stainless Tikka, a Mickey Edge, and some real bottom metal for $1450.

Then tell me how you are going to shave a pound and a half off it.
Don’t need Edge.... or “real bottom metal”..... that’s kinda the point.

T3 Lite Stainless .270 $499

T3 Sako Classic $448

Your Fieldcraft costs 50% more than that....
As soon as I draw a sheep tag,Ill worry about the pound and a half. Until then 8 lbs all up will be fine.

T3 Sako Classic $448

Hell, you're getting a real deal . . . . at 30% more weight for 50% less money!

But the OP wanted light weight and pride-of-ownership. I suspect 30% more weight and plastic bottom metal would be important to him.

Go back to my first post. The one you took issue with. You will see that Edge and bottom-METAL were included in the statement I made.

But holy crap. You're really into low budget. A T3 huh. Surprised you could even find one.

So leave it stock. Why bother to polish the turd. It's a $500 rifle. Always will be.

I have a friend in the oil fields logging / fracking wells. More money than common sense. He buys Hillbilly Customs two or three at a time. Still,there is no pride in ownership. He ripped the bolt handle off a $5,000 rifle,and asked me to Tig it back on . I refused,and told him to send it back to Hillbilly to be fixed right. I don't have a bolt welding jig anymore,and no good way to time it. He found another fella to bubba it up. I would wager there are people that can and do take pride in $500 rifles. More so than a guy that has no appreciation for even high dollar customs. It is in my mind relative. One man's turd is another man's trophy. Personally,I'd love to have a safe full of Rigbys. Wouldn't make me any better than the fella that is proud of his RAR he saved his change for all year.

My last $1,000 270 Win
[Linked Image]

T3 Sako Classic $448

But the OP wanted light weight and pride-of-ownership. I suspect 30% more weight and plastic bottom metal would be important to him.

Go back to my first post. The one you took issue with. You will see that Edge and bottom-METAL were included in the statement I made.

But holy crap. You're really into low budget. A T3 huh. Surprised you could even find one.

So leave it stock. Why bother to polish the turd. It's a $500 rifle. Always will be.

Agreed.... leave it stock.... it’s a lightweight, accurate, killing machine as is.... and half what the OP was looking to spend.

The Tikka is under weight and under budget, as speced by the OP.

You’re 50% over budget..... and a dip schitt.
Originally Posted by Otter6
I have a friend in the oil fields logging / fracking wells. More money than common sense. He buys Hillbilly Customs two or three at a time. Still,there is no pride in ownership. He ripped the bolt handle off a $5,000 rifle,and asked me to Tig it back on . I refused,and told him to send it back to Hillbilly to be fixed right. I don't have a bolt welding jig anymore,and no good way to time it. He found another fella to bubba it up. I would wager there are people that can and do take pride in $500 rifles. More so than a guy that has no appreciation for even high dollar customs. It is in my mind relative. One man's turd is another man's trophy. Personally,I'd love to have a safe full of Rigbys. Wouldn't make me any better than the fella that is proud of his RAR he saved his change for all year.

My last $1,000 270 Win
[Linked Image]

We all need to buy within our means, and my safe isn't full of Hillbilly Customs or Rigbys either.

But if I had $1000 to spend on a rifle, I wouldn't start with an RAR, a Savage, or a Tikka with plans to upgrade the shortcomings.

There are just too many.

Lots of very nice rifles can be had for $1000. Your 270 is a good example.
Tikka, LW's, SWFA. So simple it's stupid...
Here you go Dogdick.

$1450 Fieldcraft

Ok. Your turn for show-n-tell dumbass.

Show me a stainless Tikka, a Mickey Edge, and some real bottom metal for $1450.

Then tell me how you are going to shave a pound and a half off it.

Are you from the northern states or old?

T3 Sako Classic $448

Agreed.... leave it stock.... it’s a lightweight, accurate, killing machine as is.... and half what the OP was looking to spend.

The Tikka is under weight and under budget, as speced by the OP.

You’re 50% over budget..... and a dip schitt.

You win. It's about as cheap a rifle as you can find. Congratulations.

I'm just happy I don't have your gunsafe Dogdick!

(See line 2 of my sig line)
Yep.... it sucks having lightweight rifles with the best trigger and barrel in the game.... that shoot everything you feed them... and have all kinds of modular aftermarket parts.

Glad you’re stocked up with “pride of ownership” cause that’s the only card in your hand.
Whatever makes you happy.
Wheelen.... you remind me of the guys in IDPA shooting $2000 Nighthawk and STI 1911s in 9mm..... claiming how great they were, and how Glocks and XDs had “no soul” and were “plastic”. All the while they’re getting g their asses handed to them by guys shooting said plastic pieces of schitt. But hey... they looked cool.... and only had to clear a stove pipe a couple times each.

If the OP said $1500 as a budget.... then the Fieldcraft is a no brainer. But a G is kind of no man’s land. Might as well go with the proven rig, and have dough to customize as you see fit. I get it... the Tikka is plastic and modular.... it’s ‘soulless”.... but that’s personal and highly subjective. The Tikka checks every one of the OP’s boxes... except your pride.

I ain’t “proud” of any rifle.... but I’m proud as hell watching my kids and wife clobber all kinds of stuff with a PlasTikka....

How long have you been off your meds ?

Or are you normally delusional ?

Jerry
Sako 85, 270Win, $949.99

Wheelen.... you remind me of the guys in IDPA shooting $2000 Nighthawk and STI 1911s in 9mm..... claiming how great they were, and how Glocks and XDs had “no soul” and were “plastic”. All the while they’re getting g their asses handed to them by guys shooting said plastic pieces of schitt. But hey... they looked cool.... and only had to clear a stove pipe a couple times each.

If the OP said $1500 as a budget.... then the Fieldcraft is a no brainer. But a G is kind of no man’s land. Might as well go with the proven rig, and have dough to customize as you see fit. I get it... the Tikka is plastic and modular.... it’s ‘soulless”.... but that’s personal and highly subjective. The Tikka checks every one of the OP’s boxes... except your pride.

I ain’t “proud” of any rifle.... but I’m proud as hell watching my kids and wife clobber all kinds of stuff with a PlasTikka....

Pride of ownership was his requirement; not mine.

I know they are good rifles, and I have tried to like them.

A stainless T3 in 300WSM, a CTR in 260, and a T3X in 6.5CR all came and went unfired.

Basically it was a value judgement based on what it would take to upgrade them to the point I would want them (stock, bottom metal, bolt shroud etc.)

And since I have rarely had trouble getting many other brands to shoot very well, I didn't keep them.

Agree that 6.5 lbs at 1G limits the field.

I know it is fun watching your kids shoot well. I've enjoyed it too.
I like the model 70 featherweight. I have one in 7mm-08, it's nice hunting rig. I am not sure how a long action would differ except for a little longer bolt.
Originally Posted by kingston

That's the one I'd buy.
Pride of hittin-schit is better.

hahahahaha!!! Good point!
© 24hourcampfire