Home
Posted By: shankbone Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/08/18
After much calculating, second-job taking, and late nights poring over rifle specs, I ordered a new production Kimber Montana in boring .308 (so my hunting partner and I would have the same ammo). I now need to outfit the rifle with a scope and a sling.

I hunt in wide open NE Oregon and up in the timber, with shots from 75-450 yards on big game and coyotes. For these reasons, I have a lightweight Leupold 6x to put on the rifle for a mountain/backpack hunt, but I want a scope for the other 80% of the time, a variable scope.

I'm not a "scope guy" and have always bought Gold Rings because, well, I live in Oregon and Leupold was always "the brand."

What to do for glass? I have $850 left over in my F/Gun Budget, but I'm prepared for the "save $X more and get Y" comments, so I haven't quit my second job yet. 2.5x-8? 3.5x-10? 4.5x-14? Are the VX3i's good to go? I have a VXIII on my .243 and it has served me well for a pile of coyotes, a mule deer, and an antelope. I'm open to the idea of a heavier scope as the rifle is pretty light. Leupold VX-5? Night Force? Vortex? Zeiss? Tract? Help! My head is spinning!
Posted By: Horseman Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/08/18
Mine wears a VX3i 2.5-8 duplex in talley lightweight lows. Perfect fit for that rifle IMO. Last year shot a lasered 342yd buck and had no problems seeing or hitting it.
Posted By: KH1473 Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/08/18
You're gonna get a [bleep] of replies/opinions on what's best.....check out as many options as possible and roll with what feels right to you
Posted By: mathman Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/08/18
A straight six Leupold has worked just fine for me a lot closer in than 75 yards.
Posted By: tdd4570 Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/08/18
Mine wears a VXIII 2.5-8 duplex in talley lows.

I would prefer a heavy duplex, but not enough to pay to send it to the custom shop.

Originally Posted by Horseman
Mine wears a VX3i 2.5-8 duplex in talley lightweight lows. Perfect fit for that rifle IMO. Last year shot a lasered 342yd buck and had no problems seeing or hitting it.
Thanks! My buddy has the same scope in a VX3 and I'll have to peep through it next time we get together.

Originally Posted by KH1473
You're gonna get a sheitload of replies/opinions on what's best.....check out as many options as possible and roll with what feels right to you

I should've added that I live out in BF, Egypt and getting to the ol' Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabela's, or other box store plush with optics options is not an easy task. I usually have to mail order blindly, like the Kimber. Not a gunshop within two hours drive had a new model Kimber on the rack, but they were all more than happy to order me one for $1,400 and up.
Posted By: KH1473 Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/08/18
Well, what's your desired weight limit for the scope? I'd start there and then decide on how much magnification you need
Dont overthink it, Support local made in USA and get a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36 it will be an excellent hunting scope and will look fantastic on your rifle to boot.....Enjoy!....Hb
A Kimber Montana 308 and Leupold 2.5-8X36 go together like peas and carrots. I use Talley Lightweights and an Uncle Mike’s Mountain Sling. Just under 6 1/2 lbs. with three 150 grain cartridges and pretty close to perfection in my eyes....
Originally Posted by Poconojack
A Kimber Montana 308 and Leupold 2.5-8X36 go together like peas and carrots. I use Talley Lightweights and an Uncle Mike’s Mountain Sling. Just under 6 1/2 lbs. with three 150 grain cartridges and pretty close to perfection in my eyes....

I'm sold. All the other scopes I was looking at cost quite a bit more in reloading components and gas money for scouting trips.

Thanks for all the replies.
Any lightweight, durable scope in the 2-10x range would serve you well. Based on my experience with both of my Montanas (.308, and 280AI), I would suggest a scope with generous eye relief because the light Montanas will jump some and get you if you don't have a very firm grip. I happen to have a silver 3.5-10x40 VX-3 with B&C reticle I've been considering selling. PM if interested.
Posted By: Elvis Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/08/18
As mentioned several times above, the 2.5-8x36 Loopy is a great scope. Also the 6x36 is another small sized scope. I have 3-4 of each I think.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/08/18
I'm a Leupold guy but I'm slowing converting to Nightforce, I'd take a look at the SHV 3-10x42 in IHR on sale at Optics Planet and you might find a 5% off code.
Posted By: z1r Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/08/18
I put a boring Bushnell 4200 Elite in 3-9x40 on mine and couldn't be happier.
Originally Posted by z1r
I put a boring Bushnell 4200 Elite in 3-9x40 on mine and couldn't be happier.

These are also excellent scopes, but for a short action Montana I lean toward the VX3i......Hb
Posted By: z1r Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/08/18
I used the 4200 because mine is a stainless Hunter and wanted the RainGuard protection, you know, just in case.

There's a ton of good scopes to be used. I had the 4200 on hand so I used it. The balance is just right so that it settles nicely for offhand shooting. That was an unexpected bonus.
Posted By: bt8897 Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/09/18
I had a 3-9x36 Swarovski with a #4a on mine, great little scope
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/09/18
The Vari-X IIc 2-7x33 on my Kimber Montana .308 works very well, and the current VX II version is even better, but I guess if you absolutely have to spend more $ the Leupold 2.5-8X36 is a good choice.
As has been said several times, if you don’t want a fixed six, then the VX III or VX 3 2.5-8x36 is perfection on a short action Montana.
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/09/18
My MT’s have always worn Leupold VX2 2-7x33 LRD’s, FXII 6x36 LRD’s, or VX3 2.5-8x36 B&C/CDS’s...
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/09/18
[Linked Image]
All of mine wear 2.5-8 of some type. Zeus’s or a Leupold

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/12841602/Searchpage/1/Main/876747/Words/%2BConquest/Search/true/re-zeiss-conquest-2-5-8x32-mc#Post12841602
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/10/18
Originally Posted by lastround
As has been said several times, if you don’t want a fixed six, then the VX III or VX 3 2.5-8x36 is perfection on a short action Montana.

Yes but with their new lineup, what are the options now?
Posted By: kingston Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/10/18
Z3 Swarovski
Posted By: efw Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/10/18
Like Brad mine wore a Leupold VXII 2-7x33mm LRD for a long time. Tough to go wrong with that.
Originally Posted by Brad
[Linked Image]

Nice looking rig Brad, what is the ring height? I suspect low...Do you have good scope clearance with that 90 degree lift?, I dont like for My bolt handle to just barely clear the eyepiece....Thanks Hb
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/10/18
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Nice looking rig Brad, what is the ring height? I suspect low...Do you have good scope clearance with that 90 degree lift?, I dont like for My bolt handle to just barely clear the eyepiece....Thanks Hb

Hb, yes lows. Plenty of clearance.
Originally Posted by Brad
[Linked Image]

Here's your answer.

Maybe Nightforce if you need to be different.

Okie John
Posted By: Teeder Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/10/18
Another vote for the 2.5X8. My 7-08 wears one with the BC reticle and sits in Talleys.
Originally Posted by Teeder
Another vote for the 2.5X8. My 7-08 wears one with the BC reticle and sits in Talleys.

How do you like the BC reticle? Have you tested it at the range?
Posted By: Brad Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/10/18
Originally Posted by shankbone
Originally Posted by Teeder

How do you like the BC reticle? Have you tested it at the range?

The rifle in my pic has a b&c reticle. I’ve shot it to 525 yards (308 Win/165), and taken Antelope just past 400 yards with it.
There are many scopes that will do the job! I found with a Kimber that low rings were too low...first time that had ever happened to me. With lows, my natural cheek weld put my eye a little too high for the scope. Switched to Talley mediums from lows and it works perfect. That may just be me, but those Kimbers are indeed straight stocked.
Posted By: efw Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/11/18
I just noticed that VX2 2-7x33mm CDS/Windplex is on clearance in MWUSA for $210 shipped!!!!
Originally Posted by efw
I just noticed that VX2 2-7x33mm CDS/Windplex is on clearance in MWUSA for $210 shipped!!!!

You could very a vx freedom 2-7 off amazon for under 200 bucks.
Posted By: kingston Re: Kimber 84M Variable Scope - 05/13/18
84M Mt. Ascent in 308 Win w/ Zeiss Duralyt 2-8x42mm

[Linked Image]

84M Mt. Ascent in 308 Win w/ Kahles CL 3-9x42mm

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire