Home
Is it just the temperature sensitivity is less with RL 23?

Burn rates similar?
Disregard. I changed the Google question and got lots of information.
Anyone loading RL 23 in a 243 Ackley? How’s accuracy?

Or, in a 280 or 280 AI Remington.

The local sportsman’s is blowing out 8lb kegs for $129.95.
RL23 works great in 280AI with 140 to 162 class bullets. I found it to be a tad slower than 22 and fps was better than 22
Originally Posted by David_Walter

That's a good price, but I haven't seen anything special out of RL-23 in my rifles. I haven't been able to get the same accuracy with '23 that I see with RL-22. I've tried it in my .280AI as well as my .330 Win Mag.
Originally Posted by sherm_61
RL23 works great in 280AI with 140 to 162 class bullets. I found it to be a tad slower than 22 and fps was better than 22

It looks like you're saying slower burning but more velocity for the same charge weight?
David, RL23 a great accuracy powder in many cartridges. It is a bulky powder and will get about 50 fps less than RL26.
If you can get a keg for that price. Better buy it.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Anyone loading RL 23 in a 243 Ackley? How’s accuracy?

Or, in a 280 or 280 AI Remington.

I use it in 280AI with 140s, and have used RL22 with same bullet. 22 has higher density than, so to get equivalent velocity (and seemingly similar pressure), be ready to crunch some powder. That said, I get 3200 fps with a 140 BT with a 23.75" barrel using RL23 and accuracy is very good. RL23 does seem to be less sensitive to temp change, but haven't done really thorough testing. I hope that it is more stable the RL22 because that is the ONLY advantage I think it has to offer.

RL23 is my go to powder in my 270 Winchester with 140gr accubonds. Tests I have
seen show RL23 is very temperature stable. Only problem with RL23 is it takes up
more space in case than some other powders.
I like RL-23 but, it is pretty dirty. Great powder in my 260 and 270 rifles. After x amount of shots a carbon ring will show up. You will notice when you start to clean your barrel. I use the Bore-tech Eliminator and there are quite a few black patches that will come out before I start to get to the copper blue patches. Not sure about the temp-sensitive properties. I usually don't shoot rifles when it is hot (75* and up).
I tried RL 23 the other day and big thumbs down from me! Better off using RL 17 or RL 26. Or the tried and proving H4831 in the 270winchester.
One big difference in addition to the temperature stability is the lot to lot consistency. I have not shot enough to say on accuracy or how clean it is. It would be a shame if it traded anti copper for more carbon fouling. I hope it is like some other powders and burns cleaner at higher pressures. But for now I am still getting a handle on R16 and R26 so may not spend much time with R23 or at least not until I burn up the R22 & MRP that I have on hand.
The difference is:
23 - 22 = 1
Originally Posted by Bugger
The difference is:
23 - 22 = 1

+1
© 24hourcampfire