Home

I've been away from the 'Fire and hunting in general for a bit. A few years ago my brother and I got into precision rifle shooting, and I had sold off most of my hunting rigs to fund some precision equipment. I have also been busy with my new baby girl. I caught a late season whitetail hunt with a friend this past winter, and it revived my interest in shooting critters.

Well, a few weeks ago I was perusing a local high-end outfitter, and came across a few 85 Finnlights in the corner. I asked the clerk to see them hoping one was a 6.5x55. No such luck, but one was the venerable .25-06 Remington (the other a .270). Having previously owned a .25-06 M77, I'm very familiar with the cartridge and understand it will serve me well hunting anything in the Southeast...mainly whitetail, hogs, and coyote. The salesman said the owner would probably make me a very good deal because Sako's had fallen out of favor since they started carrying Bergara and Christensen rifles. No matter, I like a Sako 85 just fine. He was right, I did get a very good deal, and they threw in a set of optilock bases and my choice of rings.

When we got home I dug out the NIB Meopta 3-9x40 #4 that I had stashed away from a sale and got everything cleaned, mounted, and torqued. Here is the end result!

[Linked Image]

I bought a box Hornady Precision hunter 110gr ELDX, but once I get some dies I was thinking of starting with 100gr partitions. What .25-06 loads are serving everyone well on whitetail? What powder seems to work well? I've only begun reloading since I started precision rifle, so my experience is limited with .308s, 6.5x47, and the 6mm short action rounds.
Badazz rifles and tough to whoop.....
Cycle that action. Make sure cartridge ejection is as it should be and not straight up into your scope.

Nice rifle gun there!
Nice combo.
Originally Posted by GeoW
Cycle that action. Make sure cartridge ejection is as it should be and not straight up into your scope.

Nice rifle gun there!

Thanks for the heads up. I thought of this when I got the extra low rings. I’ve already pulled a bullet and tested with an empty case. I’m getting a pretty consistent 45-ish degree ejection with varying speed. 1 out of 10 looks like it might barely kiss the edge of the windage knob, but it’s not making any marks. Time will tell. I’m sure a scope with larger turret caps might have an issue with this low setup.
Congrats. My Sako 85s have become my favorite go-to rifles.
That’s a nice rig. Let us know how she shoots.
Looks perfect
I use RL26 and a 100 grain Swift Scirocco in my 25-06. It’s accurate and pretty quick.

Great looking set up!
I use IMR4831 under a 100 gr TSX. It has been my go to powder for 25-06 for over 20 yrs.
nice package
enjoy
Whitetail? I'd get some 100 grain Ballistic Tips and start cooking with gas! grin
I'd be very wary of the ejection issue. It will dump an empty case off the scope and back in the port at some point when you least expect it. It was a poor design.

Other than that, you've got a nice setup.
I'd consider using a 100 gr cup and core bullet and H4350 for whitetail ought to do the trick. I have used 80gr TTSX and 100gr TTSX for antelope and mule deer, but truth be told, a Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, etc standard bullet would do them all. Last antelope I shot was with a 117gr Sierra, at about 80 yards if I remember correctly.

You have a fine rifle there.
Nice setup. I have used IMR4350 and 115 grain Nosler BTs or 117 grain Sierra GKs for a number of years. A flat shooting, deadly combination.
i have been using The Hornady 100 grain spire point along with the Hornady 120 gr hollow point, both bullets have been discontinued by Hornady. I was inclined to work up a new load for the 25-06 I would select the Hornady 110 gr ELD=X using H=4350 or H-4831sc and call it a day.
Congrats on a fine deer smackin' rifle!
That is one fine rifle! Love Sako rifles. A carbon lite is next on my list.
RL26 under 100 grain TTSX will take care of you.
Ditto for R26 and 117 Interlokts.
© 24hourcampfire