Home
I am thinking about ordering a cooper 92 backcountry and was wondering if anybody had any feedback on them...good, bad, ugly, or indifferent
They're very pretty.

It seems there are a lot of Cooper lovers, and some haters too. Not sure why, but I first saw it about 20 years ago in regard to their .22s.

Someday, I'll have to venture into the Peoples Republic of Maryland and visit Hendershotts, which is THE fancy-schmancy gunshop around these parts, and carries goodies of all sorts.
I haven't made a commitment yet, but I am seriously considering a Backcountry. A one and a half pound heavier, and $500 less money, option from Cooper is the Timberline.

They both look and sound good, but are pretty spendy.

First Stop Guns in SD, has a pretty good inventory.

donsm70
yea I bought a cooper 52 Excalibur in 6.5x284 from first stop guns back in 2013, shot great but heavier than my liking so I sold it and bought a nula. I later sold the nula and got out of the 6.5 business. I have a nula model 20 in 338x284 that is my primary rifle. I also have a nula model 24 280 ackley that I was kicking around the idea of either rebarreling or just selling to fund a backcountry. I haven't made my mind up yet. guess im going to have to drive up to cove creek outfitters and hold a backcountry and see if I like it. it just sucks that I have to drive 3 hours one way to a stocking cooper dealer just to hold one.
Originally Posted by ilikeguns
yea I bought a cooper 52 Excalibur in 6.5x284 from first stop guns back in 2013, shot great but heavier than my liking so I sold it and bought a nula. I later sold the nula and got out of the 6.5 business. I have a nula model 20 in 338x284 that is my primary rifle. I also have a nula model 24 280 ackley that I was kicking around the idea of either rebarreling or just selling to fund a backcountry. I haven't made my mind up yet. guess im going to have to drive up to cove creek outfitters and hold a backcountry and see if I like it. it just sucks that I have to drive 3 hours one way to a stocking cooper dealer just to hold one.

Selling a Nula to buy a Cooper? That's sort of going backwards. I did that once, I sold my Cooper 52 Excalibur 280ai to buy a Sako 85 Finnlight 260rem. I still regret that move.
Originally Posted by donsm70
I haven't made a commitment yet, but I am seriously considering a Backcountry. A one and a half pound heavier, and $500 less money, option from Cooper is the Timberline.

They both look and sound good, but are pretty spendy.

First Stop Guns in SD, has a pretty good inventory.

donsm70

Where did you get the Timberline weight Don? I spoke to the guys at First Stop and was told approx 6 1/4 lbs for a Timberline in 35 Whelen which is about 1/2 lb heavier than a Backcountry.
I have a cooper spec sheet that Laura Kelly (sales manager from cooper) just sent me and the timberline specs at 7lbs
That's interesting. Cooper is always slow to update their website but I would've thought the guys at First Stop would know.
I was told 5#, 7 ounces on the Backcountry and 7# on the Timberline.

Check out Cooper Rifles website and click on new products for 2018.

donsm70
I have the 2018 spec sheet strait from cooper, backcountrys are 5lb 12 oz and the timberline is 7lb. just saying what the sheet says. pm me your email and I can fwd the email to you if your interested
my question was how can a 6.5x284 be the same weight as a 338 win mag. they supposedly use the same contour barrel on all of em yet the bore hole is different so a 6.5x284 should be heavier than a 30-06 or 338
Originally Posted by donsm70
I was told 5#, 7 ounces on the Backcountry and 7# on the Timberline.

Check out Cooper Rifles website and click on new products for 2018.

donsm70

ilikeguns is right. I stand corrected. I misread the spec sheet.

donsm70
Does the spec sheet call out the weight for an M52 Excalibur?
I had a Cooper, a 264 Win mag, shot great, but I didn’t like the cheap safety or the rattling magazine.
Originally Posted by hanco
I had a Cooper, a 264 Win mag, shot great, but I didn’t like the cheap safety or the rattling magazine.

Ding, ding, ding...winner. I had one too, bought a Sako 85 and never looked back.
according to the sheet a 52 Excalibur is 7lb 12 oz
That sounds right. It’s not in the owners manual or the website. Was looking to compare to the Timberline. Same action - I wonder if the weight difference is all in the stock? Thanks
© 24hourcampfire