Home
Posted By: JGray This Old Rifle - 07/03/18
Pulled this one out of the safe the other day and replaced the steel tube Weaver 4x with this Burris 2-7 I've had laying around. Grabbed some ammo I loaded up a couple of years ago and proceeded to get sighted in and fired the group on the left. Made a left windage adjustment and fired the group on the right. Another click or two left and put it back in the truck - I just might have to go kill something with it this fall... grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: iddave Re: This Old Rifle - 07/03/18
That's plumb cool right there....very, very cool.
Posted By: JGray Re: This Old Rifle - 07/03/18
I had 8 other rifles out that day including a Fieldcraft 6.5 Creedmoor, and this old '99 stole the show!
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: This Old Rifle - 07/04/18
Nice.. 99 's are super cool , just not my cup of tea, but love to see them and those who use them well...
Posted By: Mohawk Re: This Old Rifle - 07/05/18
Beautiful rifle! I'd take it over a Fieldcraft any day. That rifle has Panache!
Posted By: mmgravy Re: This Old Rifle - 07/05/18
Sweet rifle and grand ole cartridge...one of my all-time favorites!!
Posted By: JGray Re: This Old Rifle - 07/05/18
I wasn't familiar with the '99 until I started hanging out on the 'fire and after reading about them here, decided I needed one. When this one showed up at the LGS, it came home with me but had some issues. A previous owner had installed washers between the back of the back of the forend and receiver that was causing problems with the rotary magazine. A local gunsmith worked on it a couple of times to get resolved and it's been fine ever since. I've hunted with it a few times but haven't shot anything with it - that needs to change...
Posted By: avfromvt Re: This Old Rifle - 07/05/18
I have two in 300 Sav and one in 250 as much as i love the design i never seem to get them into the deer woods. Good shooting with a classic beauty.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: This Old Rifle - 07/05/18
Man that’s great! Love it when a rifle shows a preference for partitions like that. Kinda blows up the argument that partitions aren’t accurate right? Got a small ring Mauser that adores em as well.

Sweet rifle you got there.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: This Old Rifle - 07/05/18
Looks like a shooter!
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: This Old Rifle - 07/05/18
It's a beauty! Blood that bad boy!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: This Old Rifle - 07/05/18
Very slick. I "need" one of those.
Outstanding, JGray!

While we try to stack angles on the heads of pins with gack & minutiae, rifles like your 99 go get the job done, & chuckle at our folly.

Do send trophy pics with it.

FC
Posted By: jorgeI Re: This Old Rifle - 07/05/18
Most excellent! can you share the primer type and cartridge OAL, please?
Posted By: buttstock Re: This Old Rifle - 07/05/18
Love seeing classic blued steel and walnut rifles. My dad had the same rifle. Great cartridge-300 Savage. Not a whole lot of species of north American game you CAN’T take with that set up, yet new ( unneeded?) cartridges keep getting marketed.
Posted By: satx78247 Re: This Old Rifle - 07/05/18
JGray,

The .250SAV & .300SAV are my "go to" calibers for deer/predator hunting. - Mine happen to be in Remington Model 760 pump versions but the Savage 99 in its various forms is SLICK, too.
(YES, I have a 760 in .250-3000 Savage. = CHERRY'S SPORTING GOODS had an unknown, but small, number of 760 rifles chambered in that caliber in the mid-1950s. - I found it in a PA gun store about 2 decades ago.)
These "special chamberings" are allegedly $$$$$ but that makes ZERO difference to me, as mine is not for sale.

I collect Model 760 rifles & need TWO to complete the set: a .257 Roberts & the VERY RARE (& never sold in the USA) rifle in 7x57mm. = I've heard that less than 100 rifles in 7x57mm were manufactured before Remington stopped producing that caliber.
(I doubt if I'll ever find the 7mm.)

CONGRADS on your NICE rifle.

yours, tex
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: This Old Rifle - 07/05/18
J.Gray,

Much thanks for your outstanding photo and story of your .300 Savage rifle.

Posts like Gray's that make this forum so interesting.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: This Old Rifle - 07/06/18
Well done man! That'll bring home the bacon.
Posted By: JGray Re: This Old Rifle - 07/06/18
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Most excellent! can you share the primer type and cartridge OAL, please?

Pretty sure the primer is a CCI 200 but don't have notes from when I loaded them - AOL is 2.600".
Posted By: jorgeI Re: This Old Rifle - 07/06/18
Thank you. I have a real good load as well but with 180gr Speers
Posted By: domit Re: This Old Rifle - 07/06/18
mine is a 3030 but shoots the same with leaverluation and most any federal ammo.
Posted By: Adk_BackCountry Re: This Old Rifle - 07/06/18
Very nice.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: This Old Rifle - 07/06/18
My dad used to say than anyone with a Farmall M and an .300 Savage could farm the whole country and kill anything that walked. Not sure he was wrong. He did move to a Case 1270 before he died, but still had his .300 Model 99.
Posted By: hanco Re: This Old Rifle - 07/06/18
Good shooting, I have a 308 that shoots really well. I put an old 3x9 Redfield on it when I got it. It shot so well with it, I bought a Leupold. I haven’t sighted it in with the Leupold yet.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Recurve1 Re: This Old Rifle - 07/06/18
Ya know - even before I clicked on this thread I had a gut feeling about a savage 99.
that is some good shooting - especially considering the triggers on these guns have about a 10 lb pull!
Sweet rifles in a practical caliber.
Posted By: JGray Re: This Old Rifle - 07/06/18
Originally Posted by hanco
Good shooting, I have a 308 that shoots really well. I put an old 3x9 Redfield on it when I got it. It shot so well with it, I bought a Leupold. I haven’t sighted it in with the Leupold yet.

[Linked Image]

That's got some nice wood in the butt stock. They do seem to shoot better than you'd expect them to...
© 24hourcampfire