Home
Posted By: Landrum Winchester M70 XTR - 07/10/18
Growing up, it was clear that most gun writers were not impressed with the Post 64 Model 70 Winchester. Now whether or not they actually hated the rifle or were just lamenting the passing of the original Model 70 is the question.

Do any of you gents own a Model 70 XTR? If so, and with the knowledge that they were not crf actions, what do you think about the rifle? For example, compared to a Remington Model 700 of that era, how did the XTR stack up?

Is there any good reason not to pick up one on the used market (assuming it is in good shape, of course)?
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/10/18
We picked up an XTR for my dad in 30-06 when they were first offered in the early 80s IIRC. At the same time I purchased a used Remington mod. 700 BDL left hand. Very similar for the times as far as blueing and stock finish black forend tips etc. The fit and finish was excellent and like all mod. 70s the bolt dissesembly was a piece of cake. If I was right handed I would have picked it over the 700.
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/10/18
My very first center fire bolt action was a Model 70 in 22-250 that I bought in 1984 or 85. I used it for a couple of years with very good results. I decided I needed something bigger and traded it for a M77 in 270 around 1987. I became a Remington Man around 1990 and that is pretty much all I shot/owned until about 5 years ago when I came across a XTR in 6.5X55. I now own more M70's than M700's. The M700's are all either pre prefix, or A,B or C. I don't own one of the newer ones at this time. Nothing against them, just don't interest me any longer.

My experience with the XTR's has been a very smooth action that would achieve MOA or better with minimal effort.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/10/18
They are sleepers. The gun writers of yore were pissing and moaning about '64, blah,blah,blah......

Which actually works in your favor to buy one.

"Is that a pre-64"

"Nope"

"Oh...they just ain't the same after '64"

"I reckon I could take $500"

"What caliber?"

"270"

"Make it $300"

"Shoo weeee, now I can put a deposit on one of them there 6.5 Kreedmires"
Posted By: CP Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/10/18
I have owned a handful of 1970-80 era model 70s. All of them have provided me with very good accuracy and function. CP.
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/10/18

Have owned a few, and have one now.
I'll always go Model 70 over the Model 700. Especially the FWT configuration.
Posted By: tzone Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/10/18
I think they are great. I have one in a m70 FWT 7X57mm Mauser. It shoots lights out, it’s easy to disassemble, carries like a dream.
Posted By: southtexas Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/10/18
IMO, the XTRs, particularly the FWTs, are some of the best M70s made. I'd take one every time over any M700.
Posted By: memtb Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/10/18
We have several of them around here! As Winchester changed hands a few times, their quality control seemed to waiver a bit....but the design makes it a great rifle. Probably the biggest “black eye” was in the post ‘60’s era, with the “pressed” checkering. Didn't hurt the functionality, just cheap looking! memtb
Posted By: Switch Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/10/18
Better than any 700 made. The push feed model 70 with the plastic stocks are good solid rifles, I've got two a 30 06 and a 270 WSM that is a Turkey Fed Dinner rifle. Both are good shooters, the WSM shoot almost everthing into 3/4" all day every day. I liked it so much I put it in a McMillian Hunters Edge I had and it has become one of my favorites. Think I paid less than $300 on GB. ( Correction I looked it up in my records and I paid $229.00 for it.) '06 is MOA with 165 BT. Love the 3 position safety. Nothing the matter with the push feeds. Never owned one of the XTR FWT's but if the right one comes along I'll snatch it up!
Posted By: winchester70 Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/10/18
I too, would take a push feed 70 every time over any Rem bolt action.

In fact, I'd take a push feed 70 every time over any bolt action, except a CRF 70. (New Haven only)
Posted By: greydog Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/11/18
I have a couple post-64's and generally speaking, I like them fine. The barrels are at least as good as Remingtons and may be more consistent. The trigger is not fully adjustable (no sear engagement adjustment) but is still a good trigger with some work. One of mine is a 1965 model and was an example of everything "experts hated about the new Model 70. Huge gap in the free-floated fore arm, cheap looking follower, negative aspect pressed checkering, generally a cheap looking rifle. This was torn apart and re-made into a prone rifle. MacMillan stock, Hart barrel, bushed bolt face and reduced firing pin diameter. It shoots very well and I doubt that I could have gotten any more out of a 700. The trigger pull is 1 1/4 pounds
The second was a short-actioned lightweight in 243. It went throught a few iterations and is presently another prone rifle with a laminated stock and Kreiger barrel. This one is not quite as good on the target but it's still pretty good and I like the rifle. I don't like the interrupted thread in the receiver and bothof these have been opened to 1 1/16x16; same as a Remington.
I like the Model 70's and like using them but, the truth is, if I want to build an accurate target rifle, I would likely choose a Remington 700 action or a clone. If I want something a little bit different though, I'm happy to use a Model 70.
The 1968 model features the anti-bind bolt and the checkering, while still pressed in, is at least positive aspect. The stock shape is also a bit nicer and the unsightly gap is gone. Sometime in the mid to late seventies, more changes were made and the stock now had machine-cut chekering, a black forend tip and was as good as any stock Winchester had made. The bottom of the receiver was fully machined. The next change was the introduction of the Featherweight with the new stock. This was, and is, a nice rifle.
The truth is, all of the rifles made in the seventies, while not works of art, were pretty decent rifles. Whether made by Winchester, Remington, Ruger, Marlin, or even Savage, they were good, functional rifles. Some were better than that. GD
Posted By: jwall Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/11/18
Originally Posted by Mike_S
We picked up an XTR for my dad in 30-06 when they were first offered in the early 80s IIRC.

This is not JUST for Mike but ALL per the XTR M 70s. Mike you are correct about the yrs.

[Linked Image]

The XTRs and NEW FTWT were Introduced in 1981.

That pic drove me to ORDER an 70 XTR, FTWT in 270 Win. Sweet Rifle.

Jerry
Originally Posted by memtb
We have several of them around here! As Winchester changed hands a few times, their quality control seemed to waiver a bit....but the design makes it a great rifle. Probably the biggest “black eye” was in the post ‘60’s era, with the “pressed” checkering. Didn't hurt the functionality, just cheap looking! memtb

memt - The XTRs ( Title of Thread ) didn't come out till 1981. See pic above.

Jerry
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/11/18
The post 64's made through the 1970's were not that good as a rule. I think those were the rifles the gun writers despised. Winchester was actually bought out by investors and the name was changed to 'United States Repeating Arms Company" in 1979 or 1980 IIRC. They made an effort to improve things and went with the XTR line in the early 80's. Someone said 1981, that is probably about right. I've had a few of the 1980's era rifles and liked them all. In the early 1990's they bought back the CRF design and called them "Classics". The pushfeed rifles continued in production alongside the CRF rifles right up until they closed the doors in 2006. But after the Classics were introduced the PF versions were relegated to the budget line of rifles and I don't think they were as good as the 1980's XTR's.

I'd much rather have an XTR than any Remington 700 ever made. But given the option really prefer the Classics or current production rifles. I eventually sold all of my XTR's. Not that there was anything wrong with them, but I just liked the CRF rifles better.
Posted By: Autofive Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/11/18
I've got two ,a 30-06 XTR and a 7x57 fwt. Not a hiccup from either one over the past 30 years. Good solid rifles!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/11/18
XTRs are very fine rifles... Wish I had a few more of 'em..
Posted By: 16bore Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/11/18
Mines a '69, so it must be a tweener.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Leupold 3x9's from the 80's suck too. Why I ever bothered with any other rifles is beyond me......

Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/11/18
My pride and joy, 1988 vintage XTR "Safari Grade" ,300 Holland & Holland Magnum ...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/11/18
Originally Posted by southtexas
IMO, the XTRs, particularly the FWTs, are some of the best M70s made. I'd take one every time over any M700.

This exactly. A pushfeed XTR is the best pusher ever made.
Guys I'm not pushing anything at all. This is just more info per XTRs.

[Linked Image]

That's the Cover of the 1981 Win catalog and on P 6 we find this:

[Linked Image]

I agree with those who've said something to this effect. The XTRs are VERY GOOD rifles.
I have one now in 6.5X55 and had a 270 W. Neither of them gave me any trouble at all.

Jerry
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/11/18
My first rifle was a model 70 XTR in .30-06. I was 16, I think. My dad bought it with the money I gave him, $206.50 on sale at Bi-Mart.

I still have it.

P
Posted By: 16bore Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/11/18
What does XTR stand for?
Posted By: memtb Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/11/18
jwall, Yes! Was “only” explaining when, why, where, Winchester acquired it’s poor reputatation on the post-64 models. It obviously did not “carry-over” into the ‘80’s and the XTR models! memtb
Posted By: moose444 Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/11/18
My short action featherweight carbine in 22/250 carries very nicely and shoots groups like it's a target rifle. A safety that actually blocks the striker and the best trigger ever put on a sporting rifle
Originally Posted by 16bore
What does XTR stand for?

16 -

Why it's XTRA, what else ? whistle
grin

Seriously, I don't know and have never heard.

Jerry
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/11/18
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
My pride and joy, 1988 vintage XTR "Safari Grade" ,300 Holland & Holland Magnum ...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Very Nice Rifle.

I had one of those and in a fit of utter gun trading stupidity several years ago traded it off. I have rued that day many times. cry
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/12/18
Wife's first rifle was a XTR in 243 Winchester. Bought it new in '76 if I remember right. High gloss finish, white line spacers, and black for tip and grip cap. It's the only rifle I have never been able to shoot better than 3" at 100 yards for a group. New scope, mounts, reloaded everything from light to heavy bullets different powders etc etc. Even put it in a new stock and bedded it. No luck. Still have it and thinking about a new barrel. Funny thing is it's a long action but a 243.. She has shot several whitetails with it so it stays around. To me not accurate, but still minute of deer..
Posted By: KnightHawk Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/12/18
Back in the early 80's I bought a 30-06, a 270, and a 223 in Feather Weight XTR. Loved the 30-06 as it was almost 2 pounds lighter than my 1917 30-06. The 270 was for my wife and she did not like it and stayed with her savage 308. Well I had Randell Redman re-bore it to a 35 Whelen. These XTR's are my favorite bolt guns going.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/12/18
Originally Posted by jwall
What does XTR stand for?

16 -

Why it's XTRA, what else ? whistle
grin

Seriously, I don't know and have never heard.

Jerry

Xtreme
Tacticool
Rifle

Got it....
Posted By: jwall Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/12/18

Xtreme
Tacticool
Rifle

Got it....

Okay smile

Mustabeen new terminology in 1981. cool

Jerry
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/12/18
Originally Posted by memtb

Yep, those early ones with the ugly, pressed checkering were pretty bad looking, although they shot well.

Seems quality improved later on and was pretty good with the XTR's and cut type checkering.

The extractor in the bolt lug was a weak point and could be blown out with an overcharge.

Barrels were pretty good, IMO about as good as the Pre-64's.

Years ago, I bought an early version in 7RM from a bud for $90, put it in a Royal stock, glassed and checkered it. My son still has it and used it to kill deer. It wears a 3-9 Tasco Titan, the older 30 mm Jap version with FFP. A good scope. It's a MOA shooter, lots of performance for the investment.

DF
Posted By: southtexas Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/12/18
I have a 30/06 made IN 64 and a 225 Win made in 65. I know they are ugly, and I can't explain wh,y but I really like both, just the way they are. Both being tack drivers helps, of course. But to me they balance wall and line up well when at my shoulder. no accounting for taste, I guess...

Edited to add: And they ARE, after all, a unique piece of Winchester history...
Posted By: Jericho Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/12/18
There is a late 60s M70 in 308 WIN for sale in my area and its a pretty nice rifle, it has a large older Weaver scope on it. If it was a 222 I would snatch it up.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/12/18
Originally Posted by Jericho
There is a late 60s M70 in 308 WIN for sale in my area and its a pretty nice rifle, it has a large older Weaver scope on it. If it was a 222 I would snatch it up.
laugh laugh

Funny you said that.. I was digging in one of my safes for a certain rifle and came across a M70 PF compact.. When I took it out to get at another one further back I noted it was a .222 Rem.. I do NOT remember owning that one at ALL...

It's hell to get old.. smile
Posted By: jwall Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/12/18
Well, you don't own it.

I left it with you to do a trigger job........ don't ya know ? whistle
laugh laugh

Jerry
Posted By: tzone Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/12/18

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's a beaut Clark.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/12/18
Well, you don't own it.

laugh laugh

Jerry
Nice try. laugh

I'll give ya an "E" for effort, but an "F" for results.. smile
Posted By: 79S Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/12/18
Originally Posted by JMR40
The post 64's made through the 1970's were not that good as a rule. I think those were the rifles the gun writers despised. Winchester was actually bought out by investors and the name was changed to 'United States Repeating Arms Company" in 1979 or 1980 IIRC. They made an effort to improve things and went with the XTR line in the early 80's. Someone said 1981, that is probably about right. I've had a few of the 1980's era rifles and liked them all. In the early 1990's they bought back the CRF design and called them "Classics". The pushfeed rifles continued in production alongside the CRF rifles right up until they closed the doors in 2006. But after the Classics were introduced the PF versions were relegated to the budget line of rifles and I don't think they were as good as the 1980's XTR's.

I'd much rather have an XTR than any Remington 700 ever made. But given the option really prefer the Classics or current production rifles. I eventually sold all of my XTR's. Not that there was anything wrong with them, but I just liked the CRF rifles better.

Wrong.. on the whole USRACo story.. you left out Olin corporation, labor union strike in 78-79, Olin corporation was not making money on rifles anymore. it's all on the internet, so no need to shoot from the hip.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/13/18
Originally Posted by Redneck
Well, you don't own it.

laugh laugh

Jerry
Nice try. laugh

I'll give ya an "E" for effort, but an "F" for results.. smile

laugh

Now, that was sneaky... grin

DF
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/15/18
I had three from that time frame, a Ranger in .223, a Heavy Varmint in .22/250, a FWT in 7x57. The .223 shot rather commonly, to be honest, the HV was a miracle of accuracy, simply magic, the 7 Mauser shot well, but the FWT stock doesn't fit me, and that made it a "no-go", I just couldn't adapt to it.

I DID like that Ranger .223, the hardwood stock fit me, and the magazine held seven down!, which meant I didn't have to carry extra ammo for groundhog hunting, it just didn't shoot all that well. Dammit.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/15/18

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I agree with those who've said something to this effect. The XTRs are VERY GOOD rifles.
I have one now in 6.5X55 and had a 270 W. Neither of them gave me any trouble at all.

Jerry

The "XTR" ("title of the thread", as you so eloquently told another poster) actually came out in 1978. Just so you know. The earliest XTR fwt's were made in 1980 and made their debut in 1981...
What does XTR stand for?

According to winchester: It means, "Extra care in fitting, extra deep gleaming finish on the genuine american walnut stock, and extra polishing on exterior metal, for a rich perfectly uniform blue".....
Posted By: 16bore Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/15/18
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
What does XTR stand for?

According to winchester: It means, "Extra care in fitting, extra deep gleaming finish on the genuine american walnut stock, and extra polishing on exterior metal, for a rich perfectly uniform blue".....

So fighting the post '64 blues. Interesting. I guess that's that whole idea behind the "classic action" CRF.
What does XTR stand for?

So fighting the post '64 blues. Interesting. I guess that's that whole idea behind the "classic action" CRF.

In a way, you are correct. The early post 64's left a bad taste in the mouths of gunwriters of the time (JOC for example), due to the cheapening of the model 70. Of course, we all know that, but the XTR helped dig them out of a hole they dug for themselves.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/15/18

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jerry

The "XTR" ("title of the thread", as you so eloquently told another poster) actually came out in 1978. Just so you know. The earliest XTR fwt's were made in 1980 and made their debut in 1981...
Yep, the XTR series came out in '78 and was applied to many guns in the Winchester line. The 1300 pump and 1500 auto shotguns, the '94 lever guns, including the brand new big bore 94 and the model 70's all got the XTR treatment.
Posted By: 79S Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/15/18

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jerry

Also from what could gather on the good ol intranet, the debut of the model 70 xtr featherweight was held up due to the strike at the new haven plant. I read they wanted to introduce them in 79 but labor strife, chitty economy, super inflation Olin corporation decided there was no money to made in selling firearms, just in ammunition. They were going to shut the plant down in 81 anyhow. So the employees formed USRACo and bought the facility and the use of Winchester name from Olin. Then in 1988 they went bankrupt and that's when FN stepped in.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/15/18
Pretty sure mine is a 1969 M70 "Deluxe" with the ebony forend tip on the stock. I'm assuming that anyway, based on an old Shooters Bible. It's far from deluxe now though. Always been quite a shooter. I figured it was built by a grumpy old dude at Winchester that had 5 years until retirement and was too stubborn to built a bad rifle. 😀
Posted By: Joe Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/15/18
This thread prompted me to get out my M70 Featherweight XTR and a flood of memories came to my mind. The year was 1989 and I was going on my first elk hunt out west. To commemorate the exciting event, I had to get a new rifle chambered in .30'06 and in January I got a barreled action. Composit stocks were becoming the rage so, I put it into a Bell & Carlson. I worked up some loads that late spring utilizing Hercules Rx-21 and Nosler's 180 grain Solid Base at 2730 fps. Saturday, October 14, 1989 at 08:00 hours, I killed the biggest elk I've ever taken and Thursday, November 11, I killed the largest W/T buck using the above mentioned load. Numerous other animals has fallen to this rifle but, alas my supply of RX-21 is no more although I still have a box of bullets left. This rifle has been really good to me and I'm thinking it will get used in the coming season. Think I like XTRs? wink
Posted By: jwall Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/15/18
1981 Win catalog and on P 6 we find this:

[Linked Image]

Guys, I have GOOGLED Win 70 XTR and I haven't found ONE word FROM Win about the XTRs before 1981.

COULD y'all give a link or copy & paste something WINCHESTER printed about the XTRs before 1981 ?

Jerry

The "XTR" ..... actually came out in 1978. Just so you know. The earliest XTR fwt's were made in 1980 and made their debut in 1981...

First off, Everything has to be developed and made BEFORE it can be sold/introduced.

I'm looking for evidence of XTRs from Win. before 1981..

Jerry
Man, look on page 319 of Rules book. Most winchester guys have that book.
BSA -

I like and use Win 70s but I'm NOT a Win FREAK. I don't have the book.
I didn't find any reference to it on Google.

Post a pic,,,,,, please.

Jerry
Posted By: 79S Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/15/18

[Linked Image]

Guys, I have GOOGLED Win 70 XTR and I haven't found ONE word FROM Win about the XTRs before 1981.

COULD y'all give a link or copy & paste something WINCHESTER printed about the XTRs before 1981 ?

Jerry

Your Google fu is weak Danielson. Standard model 70 xtr were as BSA said introduced in 1978. The xtr featherweights hit the scene in 1980. Ask me how I know, BSA sold me his xtr featherweight sn 148xxxx built in 1980.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/15/18
My 82 model 70 XTR Featherweight 308 is a beauty & is the crown jewel of my commercial rifles.
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

Jerry

Your Google fu is weak Danielson. Standard model 70 xtr were as BSA said introduced in 1978. The xtr featherweights hit the scene in 1980. Ask me how I know, BSA sold me his xtr featherweight sn 148xxxx built in 1980.

It's weak for sure. Like you said, he shoots from the hip a lot. To be nice, I took a picture (actually a couple) and added it to my imgur, just for jerry. Just so he can rest easy at night now:

Page 319 (as I said earlier), from Roger Rule's "The Rifleman's Rifle" book. The most referenced book made for the true model 70 collector. If you love model 70's and collect them, you need this book. Especially if you are a pre 64 lover:
[Linked Image]

An advertisement from 1978 on the Winchester model 70 XTR's:
[Linked Image]

And lastly, the same 1981 winchester catalog that Jwall has, that I promised 79s. I'll ship it to you one of these days. Sorry buddy!!
[Linked Image]
This one is in collector condition though... wink
Posted By: jwall Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/16/18
Thnka BSA

This is the FIRST I've seen of any XTR before 1981. I Googled Win. Arms/ Win 70 XTR etc. et.al. and NONE of this came up.

It should be NO surprise that I'm NOT a Pre 64 70 addict. Back in the 80-90s I was hitting a LOT of gun shows. I had been reading Pre 64, Pre 64, Pre 64.. I looked at a BUNCH and NONE of them impressed me-- Especially the 'so called' featherweights.

I have a collection of those Rifle 'Catalogs' from Win, Rem, Browning, Ruger.... but I don't have any Win catalog before 1981.

Thank you for the PIX. I've never seen that '78 Ad.

Jerry
Posted By: southtexas Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/16/18

[Linked Image]

Jerry

Jerry: even the page you posted refers to theXTR M70's 5 distinct versions including the NEW Featherweight.... sounds pretty clear that there were XTRs before there were XTR Featherweights. No?
NO.

If you scroll the page up it says,....."and Winchester has made the Mod 70 XTR the rifle of "today" with exclusive refinements, performance......"

It also says, ...." the model 70 (not 70 XTR) is available in 15 calibers...."

Further down it says,..."Performance and Handling: The model 70 XTR has truly been designed for Trophy performance."

There is NO indication in this catalog that the XTR series had begun earlier.

Jerry
Ok, whatever. But the fact remains that there were XTR M70s before the FWT. (I'm old enough to remember them) And why else would they have put an emphasis on the NEW Featherweight?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/16/18
They put a lot of emphasis on the "new" xtr fwts, because they were damn nice. Surprisingly it took winchester 17 years to come to their senses and bring the fwt back. To me, the fwt is what a hunting rifle should be. Not too light, not too heavy. Barrel length just right and they are easy on the eyes.
You have good tastes BSA😀
Hey S T !

Don't give BSA all the credit for good taste ! ! ! whistle grin

L is M 70 XTR 6.5X55 ....... R is Rem Model Six in 6mm Rem

[Linked Image]

I have a few more too. BTW - none of those pumps rattle.

[Linked Image]

Jerry
Jerry. Very nice!! Except that last Remington seems to be missing an action and barrel! 😧
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/16/18
This brings up an interesting question. I have an M70 XTR .270, full 24" barrel with what appears to be a McMillan stock. It's in the Featherweight configuration with schnabel forearm tip. Buttplate is standard Winchester. he reson I ask is I also have an M70 in .300 Win. Mag., 26" barrel, blind magazine that matches a McMillan stock in their online catalog. So the question is, did Winchester ever sell any rifles with McMillan stocks as a standard item? I also have another stock for the M70 in the McMillan FWT pattern with Winchester buttplate I picked up at a gun show. All I can add is both rifles are extremely accurate with the .270 in the .50" range and the .300 running .375" with loads they like.
Paul B.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/16/18
I believe that's a Winlite...pretty bad ass too. Had one of those stocks on my M70 and sold it.....like an idiot!
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/18/18
They put a lot of emphasis on the "new" xtr fwts, because they were damn nice. Surprisingly it took winchester 17 years to come to their senses and bring the fwt back. To me, the fwt is what a hunting rifle should be. Not too light, not too heavy. Barrel length just right and they are easy on the eyes.

Fo' sho' !!
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/18/18
I believe that's a Winlite...pretty bad ass too. Had one of those stocks on my M70 and sold it.....like an idiot!

Hate it when that happens.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/18/18
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Hate it when that happens.

Even tried to find the guy I sold it to and buy it back. I might have the Campfire record on that one.
Posted By: southtexas Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/18/18
Similar story: I bought the first XTR FWT I saw in 1980, a 30/06. At the time I had the bug for a FWT in 257R, so when I saw Winny was making them I sent the 06 back to the factory and they installed a 257R barrel on it. So I had, in effect, a long action 3", 257 without having to mess with the magazine. Then, in my looney schizophrenia, I lusted after a 257 FWT with CRF, and sold the PF, like an idiot. I later returned, somewhat, to my senses, kicked myself, and bought a new 257 XTR FWT. (I'm older and much more mature now shocked )
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/19/18
Yes, Winchester sold Model 70s with McMillan's stocks on them. Mostly called "Winlite" but they also sold them on the Sporter Magnums. Some were blind, some had bottom metal; some were schnabel, some were classic. Nearly all were painted black with no checkering, but I do have one that was factory-painted medium gray.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/19/18
Sporter barrel in a Winlite stock. Damn...didn't know how much I liked it unti it was gone.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BCHunter666 Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/19/18
I had a 7 mag for a time. It worked fine but did not exhibit the greatest accuracy. Having said at, it was fine for most hunting and I think the actions are just fine...perhaps it was the barrel
Posted By: MedRiver Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/23/18
My first serious bolt rifle was a Model 70 FWT in .30-06. Lots of memories. After many years it started going downhill in accuracy or I got better in recognizing it and it is presently at McGowan being rebarreled to .257 Roberts AI. Can't wait to get it back for this Fall.
Posted By: smitty_bs Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/03/18
I have an M70 Featherweight in 7x57 Mauser from the 1980s. I lovingly load it with 139gr Hornady Spire Point Interlocks. Mild and quiet recoil and deadly on whitetails. Have no issues with this rifle whatsoever - very accurate and handy. I've always been a Remington 700 guy, but this rifle will always be in my stable.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/03/18
1978 XTR..... 1981 Ken Water's test's the new 70 Featherweight XTR Roberts [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: jwall Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/03/18
sqweeler

That is a NICE collection of "catalogs". I've always thot the name catalog was generous because they were small in content.

My collection BEGINS in 1981. I was going to Gun Shows and gun dealers and handloading for several yrs. BEFORE I saw the first one.

Thanks for the pic.

ps: I have W W, Rem, Ruger, Browning, S& W and not all of them were in 1981, some later.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/03/18
Received this January 1980.Had a few Model 21's since, but didn't have the fund's at the time to order one to my spec's. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Very Nice.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/03/18
Good thread guys. Squeeler, those are some very cool catalogs. Jwall, If I haven't told you yet, that 6.5x55 xtr fwt is a damn beauty man!!!! Just something about those fwt's that is so damn alluring to me... I like them all. Pre 64, XTR, and classics...
BSA

You have complemented it at least once. Thank You

Left >> M 70 XTR FTWT 6.5X'SWEDE' -- (55 whistle)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've been buying SWIFT brand scopes since the late 80s/early 90s. NO problems >> even variables. That's the only 3-9 I have.
That's a 3.5-10 X 44 on the Mod Six 6mm Rem

This is my second 70 FTWT, I fell in love with the "whoredelis" ( grin ) stocks when the 81 catalog came out.

Thanks Again
Posted By: beretzs Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/03/18
This is my sons 7x57... great little rifle and has always shot real well for us.

[Linked Image]
Wow, that's some balancing act. Good Show.
Posted By: Technoman26 Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/04/18
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Yes, Winchester sold Model 70s with McMillan's stocks on them. Mostly called "Winlite" but they also sold them on the Sporter Magnums. Some were blind, some had bottom metal; some were schnabel, some were classic. Nearly all were painted black with no checkering, but I do have one that was factory-painted medium gray.

As I recall, some of those Winlite stocks also came from Brown Precision (non-schnable variety). Not 100% sure of the reason why they had two manufacturers for them but I had a '06 in one of the Brown stocks that I sold here to TDN a while back. Great stock. When I bought it, I assumed it was a McMillan but after some research and back and forth with the helpful folks at McMillan, they pointed me to Brown as the source. Regardless, the Winlites are great rifles along with the M70 Fetherweight in general. That said, I don't care for the newer Featherweights. Not that anyone cares, but I think the new Featherweight stocks need to go on a diet. They got bigger through the wrist and forend and I just can't seem to get used to that 1" black recoil pad.
Posted By: jwall Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/05/18
Tech -

I agree about the 'Diet'. I don't have small hands but still I prefer smaller dia. fore ends and pistol grips. My 70 FTWT is Pre Classic and I love the stock, fit, feel, and balance.

Also the Rem Model Six has trimmer fore ends and pistol grips than the 7600s.
Posted By: Technoman26 Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/05/18
Tech -

I agree about the 'Diet'. I don't have small hands but still I prefer smaller dia. fore ends and pistol grips. My 70 FTWT is Pre Classic and I love the stock, fit, feel, and balance.

Also the Rem Model Six has trimmer fore ends and pistol grips than the 7600s.

jwall,
I think the stock got bigger when BACO started producing the rifles. The original classics and push feed featherweights (both pre and XTR versions) all had similar if not identical stock design/shapes. I'm a fan of the Featherweights and I'm not bashing the BACO guns. I had a Extreme Weather in 243 that was great. I just prefer the original Featherweight stock dimensions. Like you, I don't have small hands but prefer the smaller feel of the stock in hand.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/05/18
Back in the summer of 82, I had a gun dealer buddy get me a M70 XTR Sporter Magnum in 338 Win. When it arrived I was pleased to see that it was a Winchester and not a US Repeating Arms gun ( not that it makes much difference). I really liked it's looks but they had a real small butt with a piss poor recoil pad. Small Monte Carlo cheek piece and high. With 250 and 275 grain bullet handloads full throttle, it was the first rifle I ever owned that would kill at both ends with 1 touch of the trigger. It wears a Limbsaver pad these days but still gets your attention when it goes off. My 1st 25-06 is a pre XTR M70, my M70 300 Win Mag started life as a barreled action sold thru Brownells, the last one I got was a M70 Fwt in 6.5x 55 Swede. Push feed all of them and they shoot and function well. MB
I am a big fan of Model 70's and the XTR is my Favorite and I own both a pre 64 and XTR and I prefer the XTR.
Mine is a Model 70 XTR in .264 Win Mag.
Posted By: Tom2506 Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/09/18
I HAD an XTR in 6.5x55...in a fit of greed I sold it for 4x what I paid. Wish I had it back....
Very good rifles. Dare I say probably their best rifle for the money in that era.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/15/18
How can anyone not love a Featherweight...

only have three of them....all made in the 1980s...

a 223, 6.5 x 55 ( rebarreled from an 06 originally) and a 7mm Mauser ( as it is labeled)...

I'd take a Model 70 over a 700 anyday, although I have both in my closet.
Posted By: Sixpack Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/15/18
One of only two I’ve ever seen locally.:. Waiting on mounts to shoot it. I may have just become a member of the Model 70 clan...

[Linked Image]

XTR Featherweight in 280 Remington. Man I like it a lot!!
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/16/18
Originally Posted by Sixpack
One of only two I’ve ever seen locally.:. Waiting on mounts to shoot it. I may have just become a member of the Model 70 clan...

[Linked Image]

You need to just sell that to me & not waste your time with it.laugh
Posted By: Sixpack Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/17/18
Originally Posted by Reloder28

[Linked Image]

You need to just sell that to me & not waste your time with it.laugh

😂😂😂
Only problem is that would get me back out of the model 70 clan and I believe I want to stay awhile!
Posted By: southtexas Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/17/18
Not sure if it's a clan or a cult! grin
Posted By: Sixpack Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/17/18
😁😁😁
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/17/18

[Linked Image]

Damn, that's a nice one. I was just looking at some pics today of how the one I sold to 79s here for his daughter shot. Those featherweights are great shooters, look damn good and handle really well. Hard to go wrong with an XTR FWT. Here's the one I sold to 79s:

This one was a very early featherweight (made in 1980 by WRA).
[Linked Image]

Sorry, I couldn't find any 3 shot groups to share with you guys. I guess these will have to do for now:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This one truly is a 1 moa (5 shot group) rifle. Maybe even sub moa with 79s loading for it and shooting it. I know his daughter shot a nice moose with it up north... Not bad for a 270win..
Posted By: 79S Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 09/20/18
That ol 270 will stack 5 shots groups all day long. H4831, 140BTSP..
Posted By: Jwood1284 Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 11/20/19
Found a minty 1982 FWT XTR in 7x57. Throated long, and twisted right for heavier 7mm bullets. I had some talley lows and a Meopta 3-9 #4 laying around, and the combo goes very well together. The trigger could use a little work, but as I understand this is easily accomplished.

I'll be working up:

154gn interlocks over W760
140gn TTSX over H4350

Will post up some good pics when I get a chance.
Posted By: Ramsdude47 Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/16/22
Anybody have suggestions for a gloss scope that matches the XTR metal well?

I picked up a Leupold 6x42 for mine and it looks ok but not great.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/16/22

[Linked Image from imageshack.com]

Very nice. I keep contemplating buying one just like that, but with nicer wood. Not saying your rifle is not nice because it is damn nice. A good XTR fwt is a thing of beauty.. You'll like it.. Oops, I see this is a 4 year old post. Wonder if Sixpack still has that rifle and what his opinion is of it. Still love it??
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/16/22
Originally Posted by Ramsdude47

XTR FWT? Generally gloss Leupolds look just right on them. Or is yours an XTR sporter that is not quite as nice as a first gen XTR FWT?
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/16/22
Still kicking myself for letting the XTR's and FWT XTR's. Both wood and synthetic.
Posted By: Sixpack Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/17/22

[Linked Image from imageshack.com]

Very nice. I keep contemplating buying one just like that, but with nicer wood. Not saying your rifle is not nice because it is damn nice. A good XTR fwt is a thing of beauty.. You'll like it.. Oops, I see this is a 4 year old post. Wonder if Sixpack still has that rifle and what his opinion is of it. Still love it??

Well, i put Leupold Dual Dovetails and a Conquest scope on, tried two loads in it,never messed with the trigger or bedding and it shot both at or just under an inch. Federal Fusions and Remington CoreLokts. Had a guy that wanted it worse than I did so I sold it😭😭😭😭. Quite possibly the single dumbest thing I’ve done.
Posted By: Sixpack Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/17/22
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Still kicking myself for letting the XTR's and FWT XTR's. Both wood and synthetic.

Same here! I hate to even think about it

I did replace mine with a BACO 308 featherweight with an Ernie spring, McMillan stock, and bedding. It will do 10 shots in a row around 1.5-1.75” at 100 yards. And for my 75 yard average shots it works perfectly
Posted By: Seafire Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/17/22
Originally Posted by Landrum
Growing up, it was clear that most gun writers were not impressed with the Post 64 Model 70 Winchester. Now whether or not they actually hated the rifle or were just lamenting the passing of the original Model 70 is the question.

Do any of you gents own a Model 70 XTR? If so, and with the knowledge that they were not crf actions, what do you think about the rifle? For example, compared to a Remington Model 700 of that era, how did the XTR stack up?

Is there any good reason not to pick up one on the used market (assuming it is in good shape, of course)?

owning Several.... I'll take my XTR Featherweights any day over a Model 700....
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/17/22
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Landrum

owning Several.... I'll take my XTR Featherweights any day over a Model 700....

Amen..
Posted By: las Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/17/22
I picked up a 1985 xtr fwt. 2nd hand in 7mm a couple years back. Good deal on it, too. Just not as good as I first thought. I haven't reloaded for it yet, but it had hunting rifle accuracy with factory- nothing approaching MOA very closely, but good enough for out to 300 yards. 1.5 to 2 or so... and it's not that light- and maybe now a few ounces heavier. My first Win 70 and 7mm Mauser, both.

I had to file the safety notch into the striker shaft to make the safety work - it came from the factory, apparently, with the striker shaft not worked - at all! (still isn't - anyone want a virtually new, un-machined steel striker?) - for the safety to cam into. I went whole hog and put in an Tubbs aluminum striker (which also had to have the safety cam notch "machined" (hand filed) for the safety as well, and the double spring kit that comes with it. Accuracy (which that was supposed to improve) remained the same - a "wasted" $100, if you don't count the education.... smile. So far.

The metal to wood fit was pretty good, outwardly. The barrel channel was deeply inletted, tho fitting well at the top edge. A rather soft finish on the wood- thin, too. On the list for refinish... The barrel channel was very whiskered down in, with pressure points in several places along the sides, now removed. well, removed and redone.. It took a lot of epoxy to fill that thing up! It is now full length bedded - accuracy only slightly improved. I've yet to relieve the bedding in the barrel channel to see if free-floating improves accuracy - I'll try a tab under the forward screw first - when I get around to it.

Meanwhile- it hunts. In it's turn. I've a couple other rifles that have not been hunted for so long they are pouting. The xtr has killed 3 caribou so far.

I have a Rem 725 SA, and a 700, as well. I've no preference between the 700 and the 70 as rifles, tho I've never cottoned much to the .243 caliber (700). I like the 725 (now a .260)better than either.

The 70 action is danged hard to beat, unless with the M98 (which I also have one of).
Originally Posted by las
I picked up a 1985 xtr fwt. 2nd hand in 7mm a couple years back. Good deal on it, too. Just not as good as I first thought. I haven't reloaded for it yet, but it had hunting rifle accuracy with factory- nothing approaching MOA very closely, but good enough for out to 300 yards. 1.5 to 2 or so... and it's not that light- and maybe now a few ounces heavier. My first Win 70 and 7mm Mauser, both.

I had to file the safety notch into the striker shaft to make the safety work - it came from the factory, apparently, with the striker shaft not worked - at all! (still isn't - anyone want a virtually new, un-machined steel striker?) - for the safety to cam into. I went whole hog and put in an Tubbs aluminum striker (which also had to have the safety cam notch "machined" (hand filed) for the safety as well, and the double spring kit that comes with it. Accuracy (which that was supposed to improve) remained the same - a "wasted" $100, if you don't count the education.... smile. So far.

The metal to wood fit was pretty good, outwardly. The barrel channel was deeply inletted, tho fitting well at the top edge. A rather soft finish on the wood- thin, too. On the list for refinish... The barrel channel was very whiskered down in, with pressure points in several places along the sides, now removed. well, removed and redone.. It took a lot of epoxy to fill that thing up! It is now full length bedded - accuracy only slightly improved. I've yet to relieve the bedding in the barrel channel to see if free-floating improves accuracy - I'll try a tab under the forward screw first - when I get around to it.

Meanwhile- it hunts. In it's turn. I've a couple other rifles that have not been hunted for so long they are pouting. The xtr has killed 3 caribou so far.

I have a Rem 725 SA, and a 700, as well. I've no preference between the 700 and the 70 as rifles, tho I've never cottoned much to the .243 caliber (700). I like the 725 (now a .260)better than either.

The 70 action is danged hard to beat, unless with the M98 (which I also have one of).

Sounds like yours was a problem child. Luckily I've never had those issues, but have not had a lot of XTR fwt rifles. My current XTR rifles are very good. You guys also know the bedding is crap on these right?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I get tired of hearing about how poorly some of these model 70's shoot and the poster has not properly glass bedded the rifle. They are most times great shooters after properly bedding them. Most times they like a proper freefloat as well. The whole barrel... Groups like what I posted above are the norm..
Pic right after I pulled the action out, so the action screw hole was not drilled out yet^^
That's the 22-250 I posted a pic of above^^ She's a shooter.
Posted By: Ramsdude47 Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/17/22

XTR FWT? Generally gloss Leupolds look just right on them. Or is yours an XTR sporter that is not quite as nice as a first gen XTR FWT?

It is a FWT, and the Leupold looks close to just right but I was just curious if there is something better. I figured on here I can ask people that have actually seen all the options in person. Can’t really tell from pictures.

It is a FWT, and the Leupold looks close to just right but I was just curious if there is something better. I figured on here I can ask people that have actually seen all the options in person. Can’t really tell from pictures.

I posted pics in the other thread. Like I also said, you are leaving out some useful info on whether its a short or long action. That could also influence what scope works best on your rifle. I personally have a hard time using a Leupold 2.5-8x36 on a long action rifle. No adjustment fore to aft in mounts that look good. It appears you also value how your rifle looks, since you do not like the matchup/pairing of the gloss Leupold to the XTR. Your base and ring choice is going to be critical as well..
Posted By: Live2hunt941 Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/17/22
I’ve got a 1978 300 win mag deluxe that I absolutely love Also a 222 xtr deluxe heavy barrel that is literally a nail driver
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
I’ve got a 1978 300 win mag deluxe that I absolutely love Also a 222 xtr deluxe heavy barrel that is literally a nail driver

Both very nice rifles I'm sure. That 222 would be one to see for sure. As for the XTR's, the finish varies by era. Some are more polished and beautiful than others. The most recent XTR in my collection is a 300WBY and it is no where near as polished and beautiful as some of the XTR FWT's I've seen and owned. For this rifle, I went with a 12 oz, lightweight but very useable Leupold Vari-x IIc 3-9X40:

It's a great combination, but the funny thing is that scope now resides on one of my new to me 7mm rem mags. That poor Leupold has been bounced around to 4 different new rifles in the last 2 months..
Posted By: Redneck Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/17/22
Also a 222 xtr deluxe heavy barrel that is literally a nail driver
(drool....) smile
Originally Posted by Redneck
Also a 222 xtr deluxe heavy barrel that is literally a nail driver
(drool....) smile

That would be a cool one. You don't run across those every day.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/17/22
I'd be interested in what loads you use in your 7MM Mauser. The only factory load that I've used in mine was the 145 gr. Winchester load which shot slightly less than MOA. Mine did have a problem with serious barrel fouling until I did a firelapping of the barrel. Now she shoots everything good.

I almost never use factory ammo in any of my rifles and the 7x57 is no exception. I've been working with Rl17 and the 150 gr. Nosler Partition with interesting results. Worked up to 2884 FPS with a half in three shot group. That's 280 Remington territory.I have several loads with that bullet and Rl17 ranging from 2700 FPS to the 2884 mentioned above. Guess I should mention that I do most of my load work ups during Tucson's very hot summers. I figure if pressure is gonna be a problem, it'll show up a lot faster in out summer heat.
PJ
Posted By: tzone Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/18/22
They're great guns. I'd get all of them I could get. Featherweight anyway. The XTR FWT really seem to fit me like a glove. I've had a few I regret selling. I have a BACO .280 Rem that I like a lot. I found a .280 rem XTR Fwt that I'd trade it for.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/19/22
I have one Winchester 300 Win Mag XTR with a Bell and Carlson pre-medalist synthetic stock. It isn't much to look at and presently without a scope because I need to get it re-barrelled. It will still shoot 2 moa with a barrel that has seen better days. My father bought it from a South Bound Teacher needing money. He used it for a while and then tipped it over on his Sasquatch 3-wheeler and bent the barrel. He didn't like it after that. We took it into town and had Red Morton straighten the barrel and skim bed the rifle in the synthetic stock. Red worked for Great Northern Guns at the time but he was a maestro. He also worked the action and changed the magazine box so it holds five magnum shells rather than three. He worked the trigger over so it breaks like an egg at 3 lbs and put a Leupold M8 4X with a lyman 3 moa dot. That was in 1982. Since that time I hunted with that gun and it had a bit of that lucky gun mojo. I co-shot a moose with my brother in 1982 after it was fixed. I shot my first black bear and other black bears. I once shot a moose offhand at 320 yards and nailed it with a perfect shot in the chest area that was under a bit of a tree. The gun just delivered. It shot my biggest ram a 39 7/8 inch dall at 10 yards. I shot a grizzly with it when I was 25 years old. It took another ram with it in the Alaska range. When ever I fell out of favor and was missing with other guns, I could grab that gun and put the bullet exactly where I wanted. It is interesting that it used to group in the center of that dot at 200 yards. I might get buried with that gun and if the wife decides to cremate me well then that sucker is going into the fire with me.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/19/22
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I have one Winchester 300 Win Mag XTR with a Bell and Carlson pre-medalist synthetic stock. It isn't much to look at and presently without a scope because I need to get it re-barrelled. It will still shoot 2 moa with a barrel that has seen better days. My father bought it from a South Bound Teacher needing money. He used it for a while and then tipped it over on his Sasquatch 3-wheeler and bent the barrel. He didn't like it after that. We took it into town and had Red Morton straighten the barrel and skim bed the rifle in the synthetic stock. Red worked for Great Northern Guns at the time but he was a maestro. He also worked the action and changed the magazine box so it holds five magnum shells rather than three. He worked the trigger over so it breaks like an egg at 3 lbs and put a Leupold M8 4X with a lyman 3 moa dot. That was in 1982. Since that time I hunted with that gun and it had a bit of that lucky gun mojo. I co-shot a moose with my brother in 1982 after it was fixed. I shot my first black bear and other black bears. I once shot a moose offhand at 320 yards and nailed it with a perfect shot in the chest area that was under a bit of a tree. The gun just delivered. It shot my biggest ram a 39 7/8 inch dall at 10 yards. I shot a grizzly with it when I was 25 years old. It took another ram with it in the Alaska range. When ever I fell out of favor and was missing with other guns, I could grab that gun and put the bullet exactly where I wanted. It is interesting that it used to group in the center of that dot at 200 yards. I might get buried with that gun and if the wife decides to cremate me well then that sucker is going into the fire with me.

That rifle sounds like it has a lot of character and history. A lot of sentimental value there.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/19/22
Originally Posted by tzone
They're great guns. I'd get all of them I could get. Featherweight anyway. The XTR FWT really seem to fit me like a glove. I've had a few I regret selling. I have a BACO .280 Rem that I like a lot. I found a .280 rem XTR Fwt that I'd trade it for.

I like the XTR FWT's too. They sure have gone up in value though. Probably because so many of us like them. They do look good though.
Posted By: Joe Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/19/22
I have been asked if I wanted back a NIB XTR Featherweight in 7x57. Absolutely YES!
Posted By: Nvm Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/24/22
Does anybody have an idea what a NIB 1981 FWT XTR in 308 would be worth? It has the hand tags on it.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/24/22
It depends on who is looking for a 308, but I would suspect if you put it on one of the auction sites like gunbroker you would get between $1500 and $2000. But you never know; if you found those two collectors who wanted an ‘81 .308, it could go higher. Is it an early (WRA) ‘81 gun?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/24/22
Originally Posted by Nvm
Does anybody have an idea what a NIB 1981 FWT XTR in 308 would be worth? It has the hand tags on it.
From what I've seen lately, upwards of $1,300.00.. Maybe even more on GB.. Depending on the wood too. That does make a difference.
Posted By: Nvm Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/24/22
Thanks guys - that is kind of what I figured. I would like to own it but cannot justify it. Not sure if it is an early 81 (WRA) gun or not. Anybody interested can see it here:
http://bedlans.com under the Winchester tab.

Wood looks very nice but I don’t know if it is exceptional.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/24/22
XTR 6.5x55 Swede [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Nollij Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/24/22
1982 .243 Winchester XTR Featherweight. It followed me home last week, and despite a couple of bumps and bruises, it seems like a nice rifle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Nvm
Thanks guys - that is kind of what I figured. I would like to own it but cannot justify it. Not sure if it is an early 81 (WRA) gun or not. Anybody interested can see it here:
http://bedlans.com under the Winchester tab.

Wood looks very nice but I don’t know if it is exceptional.

How much do they want for it? Thanks for posting the link. I know where one is that is nicer, as far as wood is concerned. I may actually buy it, since it seems a lot of you guys have a fascination with these.. The one in the link is pretty clean though.
Must be way over priced huh?
Posted By: Nvm Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/25/22
Hi bsa,
Sorry for the slow reply - I do not know what they are asking for it - I haven’t called to ask and I don’t get down to that shop very often (it is about 80 miles from me). Thanks
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/25/22
Originally Posted by Nvm
Hi bsa,
Sorry for the slow reply - I do not know what they are asking for it - I haven’t called to ask and I don’t get down to that shop very often (it is about 80 miles from me). Thanks
Oh, I see. Looks like a nice rifle. Now, in a shop and not online, I've bought rifles like you picture for as little as $600.00. But like I said earlier, prices have really gone up on the XTR FWT in particular. The one I said has nicer wood is $1,100.00 locally. A sweet rifle that I may kick myself in the azz for not buying.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/25/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]I stumbled across on at my lgs for $400 last year
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/26/22
Originally Posted by earlybrd
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]I stumbled across on at my lgs for $400 last year

That is sweet when that happens. I also bought a sweetheart last year, right before Christmas time last year. A 22-250. They wanted $699. for it so I agreed with out even trying to talk them down. I knew what it was and the old gloss Burris later sold for $210.00 and the 4 boxes of factory ammo I got with it, was worth something to one of my buddies. That brings the price of the rifle down to about $370.00 approx.. Not a bad deal on an XTR:

Does it shoot, you ask?

Well duh...
Posted By: Igloo Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/26/22
Fellas,

Can a blind mag push feed rifle be converted to a floorplate rifle? Lets say I had a rifle with the blind mag, could i just swap the stock and bottom metal on over?

Thanks!
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/26/22
Short answer; yes.
Posted By: Igloo Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/26/22
Thanks AKwolverine!

It isn't so much that I don't like the blind mag as that I would like a different stock.

And some very beautiful rifles here!!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/26/22
Originally Posted by Igloo
Thanks AKwolverine!

It isn't so much that I don't like the blind mag as that I would like a different stock.

You are being too nice. I hate the bling mag.. Just like I don't care for a DBM on a classic looking wood stocked Winchester model 70 hunting rifle. To each his own though.
Posted By: Technoman26 Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/26/22
Thanks AKwolverine!

Note when switching from blind mag to floorplate you MAY need a different magazine box.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 07/27/22
Originally Posted by Technoman26
Thanks AKwolverine!

Note when switching from blind mag to floorplate you MAY need a different magazine box.
Not 'may', but WILL.....
Posted By: Dogger Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 01/16/23
Bump for a great thread
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 01/16/23
Originally Posted by southtexas

^^^^^This in spades
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Winchester M70 XTR - 01/17/23
1985 XTR FWT 25-06 & XTR Sporter 6.5x55 [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
© 24hourcampfire