Home
I've been eyeing these two rifles. Have been reading reviews about the EW having a thick grip area that some people don't like and some inconsistent accuracy reviews.

Just wondering if the newer EW stock (gray webbing) is a bit slimmer than the old one and whether you'd pick a Tikka or the EW between the two?
They are really very different rifles. I've had the older T3 lite in the past and currently have a Tikka CTR. I've had one of the EW's 8-9 years now. I ran across the EW used in 308 at a good price and hunted with it as is the 1st season or 2. I liked it, but didn't love it. Someone placed a used Edge stock up for sale here in the Classifieds and after putting that stock on it the EW has become my go-to rifle. The factory stock is a good one, but is heavier and thicker than I like. The Edge stock isn't just trimmer feeling, it is 7 oz lighter. The newer EW stock is no different other than color.

Right now my EW weighs 7.5 lbs with a Zeiss Conquest in Talley Lightweight mounts. I think that is a good balance between being light enough to carry, yet still enough heft to shoot well. Mine is consistently accurate with any bullet I've tried in it. Personally I like the more traditional looks of the EW even in SS/Synthetic. I like the CRF action and Winchester safety.

The Tikka is a modernistic looking rifle that will be over a pound lighter than an out of the box EW. It will still be almost 1/2 lb lighter than my EW with the Edge stock on it. Based on my experience the odds of getting an extremely accurate Tikka are a little better. But I doubt I'd be disappointed in an EW. I don't necessarily dislike detachable magazines,but the Tikka mags are more expensive than they should be. Standard mags are 3+1, but in standard calibers 5+1 is available although the 5 round mags do protrude below the stock a bit. The Winchester is 5+1 with a floorplate which I just like a little better.

I like my rifle EW up the way it is better. But the rifles are more expensive then the added costs of a replacement stock will about double what an out of the box Tikka will cost. If I were going to use it as it came out of the box I'd probably buy the Tikka. You really need to handle some of both to decide.
Agree with everything JMR wrote above. While the EW stock is functional, everything is better with the EW dropped in a micky. So then you are into the EW for 2x a tikka and will be hard pressed to meet accuracy of the out of box t3. Have and like both, but if cost is an issue I’d go T3x even though I’m an m70 fan.
I agree with everything said above but I disagree on the statement that the EW stock has never changed, the newer grey spiderweb stocks on the EW is most certainly a slimmer stock especially through the pistol grip area and a little lighter weight to boot....between these two I would buy an EW as I like the build quality and CRF but if cost is a factor in your decision I would pick the T3x, My guess is the Tikka might also edge out the EW in the accuracy dept....Good luck...Hb
You’re comparing apples to watermelon. I’d pick the M70 10 of 10 tines over the tikka. I have owned both and sold both. Tho M70 is just a better built rifle than the tikka. But, the stock is a beast. I traded the m70 on a Kimber Hunter and I traded the tikka for partial towards a gunsafe.

Both guns were plenty accurate, btw.
Questions like these suck. Most of us here have had both, yet it just boils down to personal preference and what one is willing to pay. Most of us here will also agree that the tikka will shoot better out of the box, plus it's less expensive. I'm a model 70 guy, but would pick the tikka, if looking for a great rifle that is both accurate and affordable. I'm also one that does not like the 2x4 ew stock. They have been garbage since their inception. I'd take an older classic stainless over a tikka (BTDT) though, but that was not the op's question...
I do not see any reason to purchase anything else, factory new, other then a Tikka T3x.

They are that good.

If I want "something else", I´ll go custom...
Originally Posted by Northman
I do not see any reason to purchase anything else, factory new, other then a Tikka T3x.

They are that good.

If I want "something else", I´ll go custom...

Hard to argue here, Tikka T3x is a great rifle......Hb
I currently have both of these, my EW is a 30-06 and the tikka is a 6.5cm. The stock on the EW has changed significantly I had an older one made 6-7 years ago that I gave to my dad, the one I have now is only about a year old.

Both are excellent guns but different, I think the Winchester is the nicer riflebit it dose cost 2-300 more than the tikka. Accuracy on mine has been just fine, I’ve never had any issues with any Ammo and I’ve tried a bunch, I was actually shooting it yesterday and really enjoying it. Tikkas are tikkas, you personally don’t think they are all that great, nice guns sure but nothing amazing in my opinion. The magazine system works but mags are expensive, about 50 bucks a pop however it seems like you can get them at sportsman’s warehouse now. Bolt is smooth enough but all my rifle bolts are smooth enough. Tikka is lighter than the m70 by about a pound,

If it was me and I could pick just one, I’d take the m70, it’s just a nicer rifle but you pay for that. The pros of the tikka are that it’s lighter and cheaper, the pros of the m70 is the stock is better, jeweled bolt, trigger is better, doesn’t use a detachable magazine.
I’m a Tikka fan because of the value and accuracy. T3x stocks are functional—not really worth upgrading, but not particularly exciting. I will note the stainless steel stains easier than any SS gun I’ve owned..... Treat it appropriately. I personally find the light weight rifles a little harder to shoot accurately (I think form becomes more important). I’d be content I they were a little heavier. I find myself happily putting heavier scopes on them. They really shoot well (all three of mine regularly shoot 5/8 to 3/4” with hunting bullets. I’ll also note my three do not have the fastest barrels....but they’re fast enough. I don’t have experience with EW rifles. My experience with older Winchester model 70s has been mixed.
Haven't shot a Winchester for years, but grew up on them. I do check them out and Sako (Tikka) at SHOT each year though. As for the Tikka, I have three T3's, and can only say one bad thing about them - keep reading. They have an 1 MOA guarantee (very few brands offer this), detachable magazine, are lightweight, have a super smooth action, come in stainless, offered in left hand, and are inexpensive. The accuracy is no marketing gimmick. Literally the only rifle brand I've shot where I didn't have to mess with it or ammo. getting it to shoot well. Put a scope on it, picked my favorite ammo. and got a 1" or less groups. Like that easy. I personally can't stand integral magazines as it seems no matter how I open the floor plate, the cartridges are guaranteed to fall on the ground. Plus, they are pain to unload/reload every time you get on/off an ATV, which during Colorado elk seasons, can be multiple times a day. (As others have said, the mags. do cost more than they should.) It's light, it's durable, it's accurate, and it's inexpensive. What's not to like? One thing...the actions are all long actions. Tikka keeps it's price point low because of mass production, the bolts are all the same, the magazines are all the same (they just add spacers for shorter rounds), the stocks are all the same, and the actions are the same. All long action. If you select a short action round, like a 308, it will still have a long action, which means long bolt cycle, full size magazine, and extra weight (though it's pretty light to begin with). It's not really a detriment in any way other than it seems inefficient in my analytical mind. If I had to make a comparison to pistols, I'd call the Tikka's a super-match grade Glock. Simple, reliable, easy to clean/maintain, durable, inexpensive, and extremely accurate.
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
If you select a short action round, like a 308, it will still have a long action, which means long bolt cycle

That’s not how it works. The action is the same, but different bolt stops. Short actions rounds use a “short” bolt stop- you’re not pulling it past where it needs to be. Bolt throw is the same as any other SA, and overall action length is about 3/4” longer than a “true” short action.

People make such a big deal about this... but a 223 in a short action doesn’t bother them......
Form, you are correct. The plastic bolt catch stops the bolt about 1/4" shorter on the 308 vs. a 300 win mag. The bolt dimensions, action dimensions, magazine dimensions are exactly the same. All long action. I agree, it's not a big deal in a rifle like this, but in a more expensive or custom rifle, I'd want the design to be as efficient as possible.
Excellent points thus far.

I'm old and picky, so in my book, the pros for the Model 70 are the safety, the true short action (if that matters to you), and the fact that the design has been around so long that people know how to work on them and there's a ton of superb aftermarket support. Cons are the stock, the MOA trigger, and the cost. I'm also no fan of fluted barrels, but that's a personal thing.

Pros for the Tikka are balance, accuracy, cost, and not needing to modify it. Cons are the detachable magazine, plus you can't top it off through the loading port.

Okie John
Both great rifles but completely different designs. As mentioned, one down side to the Tikka (if getting something chambered in a shorter cartridge) is all the actions are the same long action. Another down side is the plastic mag, they can sometimes tend to pop rounds out. I have 2 for mine and can't leave the mags loaded for any length of time or they expand the lips and start popping rounds out. If you ever drop the Tikka mag, it will likely spill all its contents.
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

People make such a big deal about this... but a 223 in a short action doesn’t bother them......

Ya I really liked my 223 in my short action Kimber Montana 84M until I started trying to shoot 75gr Amax bullets. They shot amazing out of the rifle but only as a single feed because of the short action.
Originally Posted by russm86
Both great rifles but completely different designs. As mentioned, one down side to the Tikka (if getting something chambered in a shorter cartridge) is all the actions are the same long action. Another down side is the plastic mag, they can sometimes tend to pop rounds out. I have 2 for mine and can't leave the mags loaded for any length of time or they expand the lips and start popping rounds out. If you ever drop the Tikka mag, it will likely spill all its contents.

Something is up with your mags. Have dozens of them and they get dropped all the time on concrete. The only busted one got run over on pavement.
I own them both. I would take the EW Winchester ( spider web stock ) every time. No cheapy plastic magazine that's prone to cracking if dropped. This last season my Tikka loaded magazine( 3 rounds ) got dropped in hunting camp on hard ground. Cracked like an egg. No glue known to man will bond that plastic back together. Tried to use Duck tape on it but the extra thickness of the tape would not allow the magazine to fit in the magazine well. Ended being a single shot for the hunt. The EW has the massive positive claw extractor .My EW is in 264 mag & is an absolute tac driver with the Barnes 120gr TSX. Sub 1/2". Solid box magazine with a FLUSH fitting FLOOR PLATE..No magazine protruding down right where you need to hold the rifle. .No need to buy expensive extra magazines.I will take the Winchester hands down. No more Tikka's for me...
Form, you are correct. The plastic bolt catch stops the bolt about 1/4" shorter on the 308 vs. a 300 win mag. The bolt dimensions, action dimensions, magazine dimensions are exactly the same. All long action. I agree, it's not a big deal in a rifle like this, but in a more expensive or custom rifle, I'd want the design to be as efficient as possible.

It’s metal.

Have you ever owned a Tikka?

P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

It’s metal.

Have you ever owned a Tikka?

P

I have three of them. It's the bolt removal button the right side of the receiver. There's a stop on the inside of the lever that catches the bolt. I thought those were hard plastic, will have to check when I get home. If it's metal it's metal.
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
I currently have both of these, my EW is a 30-06 and the tikka is a 6.5cm. The stock on the EW has changed significantly I had an older one made 6-7 years ago that I gave to my dad, the one I have now is only about a year old.

Mine was a year old. Sold it this spring. It was a tank. If the stocks were worse, I can't imagine how.

Something is up with your mags. Have dozens of them and they get dropped all the time on concrete. The only busted one got run over on pavement.

Thought this was a fairly well known issue with the Tikka T3s and Sako A7s. The plastic isn't strong enough and so the top of the mag expands from the spring pressure with cartridges loaded in it. Some cartridges are worse than others. Short action rounds all seem to be fine as the extra block of plastic at the rear adds a lot of strength and holds it all together. Standard and magnum long action rounds seem to be the worst. You can physically see the feed lip area expand when you load shells into it and can squeeze it back down with your fingers. Every single T3 mag I've ever seen or owned does this and they seem to get worse with age my buddies with them have the same issues. The Sako A7 mags are even worse than the Tikkas they were so bad I sold my A7 just because of the crappy mags, my buddy with an A7 still continues to struggle with his after Sako has warrantied his mags 3 times.

Thought this was a fairly well known issue with the Tikka T3s and Sako A7s. The plastic isn't strong enough and so the top of the mag expands from the spring pressure with cartridges loaded in it.

I've had Tikkas for over 20 years and never heard of this phenomenon. I think you're jinxed.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Thought this was a fairly well known issue with the Tikka T3s and Sako A7s. The plastic isn't strong enough and so the top of the mag expands from the spring pressure with cartridges loaded in it.

I've had Tikkas for over 20 years and never heard of this phenomenon. I think you're jinxed.

I’ve only had Tikkas for 10 years so I lack JG’s duration, but I have a lot of Tikkas and I’ve never had this problem.

Makes me wonder how you’re loading the mags. Try not pushing the cartridges straight down on your next mag.

P
Originally Posted by tzone

Mine was a year old. Sold it this spring. It was a tank. If the stocks were worse, I can't imagine how.

Maybe you got a new old stock one, you can do a quick google image search and see differences in the stocks, I honestly don’t know how people can really complain about the current stock, it’s 10x better than the old one easily.

Maybe you got a new old stock one, you can do a quick google image search and see differences in the stocks, I honestly don’t know how people can really complain about the current stock, it’s 10x better than the old one easily.

Well they now have 2 more at the store now. One is a .308 which turned my crank until I held it...TANK.
I never considered the Tikka mag a shortcoming. I like carrying a loaded spare or two. Nice way to carry extra rounds.

Well they now have 2 more at the store now. One is a .308 which turned my crank until I held it...TANK.

You must have small hands or something, I’ve hobeatly never understood what people are talking about when they say this, I’ve started thinking that anytime people say this they haven’t held one and are parroting what other people say about the old ones. I think it feels pretty darn good and I have other stocks to compare it to, a few McMillans kimber Montana etc.

You must have small hands or something, I’ve hobeatly never understood what people are talking about when they say this, I’ve started thinking that anytime people say this they haven’t held one and are parroting what other people say about the old ones. I think it feels pretty darn good and I have other stocks to compare it to, a few McMillans kimber Montana etc.

Or you have gorilla mitts! laugh I have a 1st Gen M70 EW in .270 Win and the factory stock felt like a 2X4 in my hands. Here it is next to a M70 FWT in McMillan Hunter, and there is no way the EW stock feels right in my hands.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't know if the newer stocks have an improved feel or not, I've heard the short actions are more trim. I picked up a McMillan FWT Edge stock from TDN off of the Campfire classifieds and couldn't be happier with the way the rifle handles now. I paid about $1200 total for the rifle even with the McMillan after selling off the old factory stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It has been a shooter from day one. And still is all these were shot prone off of a bipod after the stock was replaced.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I like the way my Tikkas shoot.

[Linked Image]

P
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I’ve only had Tikkas for 10 years so I lack JG’s duration, but I have a lot of Tikkas and I’ve never had this problem.

Makes me wonder how you’re loading the mags. Try not pushing the cartridges straight down on your next mag.

P

I've never top loaded these mags. Always in from the front and down under the feed lips. Mine and all my buddies are original from the very first generation of T3 rifles, haven't bought a new mag since the original spare I got right after purchasing the rifle, maybe I should try some brand new ones... I know the A7s definitely are a common problem, you can google that one easily and Sako/Beretta have admitted issues with them, assumed the T3 was similar as the only difference is the feed lips are steel on the A7.
Originally Posted by taylorce1

Or you have gorilla mitts! laugh I have a 1st Gen M70 EW in .270 Win and the factory stock felt like a 2X4 in my hands. Here it is next to a M70 FWT in McMillan Hunter, and there is no way the EW stock feels right in my hands.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't know if the newer stocks have an improved feel or not, I've heard the short actions are more trim. I picked up a McMillan FWT Edge stock from TDN off of the Campfire classifieds and couldn't be happier with the way the rifle handles now. I paid about $1200 total for the rifle even with the McMillan after selling off the old factory stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It has been a shooter from day one. And still is all these were shot prone off of a bipod after the stock was replaced.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I’m not saying the EW stock is some slim stock but it’s never felt as bad to me as so many people claim, it actually feels pretty good to me, they did slim down the Doreen’s and the grip from the version you have in your picture. I’ve thought a lot about getting a McMillan featherweight for mine but not because I hate the b&c but just because I like the featherweight stocks.

[Linked Image]

P

Put me behind your Tikka and I promise it won't shoot like that anymore! wink
I DID NOT NEED TO SEE THAT FRIGGIN SPORTER M70 IN A MCMILLAN FWT STOCK........DAMN YOU! 😡
Originally Posted by 16bore
I DID NOT NEED TO SEE THAT FRIGGIN SPORTER M70 IN A MCMILLAN FWT STOCK........DAMN YOU! 😡

Ha! I totally agree 16bore, that is a cool rifle indeed....Hb

[Linked Image]

P

You’d be surprised. I taught my buddy’s son to shoot intermediate distance last year. He got tired of ringing steel at 400 so we backed up as far as we could, another 146 yards. Shooting seated off a Primos Trigger Sticks tripod. Bang, clang.

P
Originally Posted by 16bore

Thanks! I'm not parting with this one anytime soon.

[Linked Image]

P

You’d be surprised. I taught my buddy’s son to shoot intermediate distance last year. He got tired of ringing steel at 400 so we back up as far as we could, another 146 yards. Shooting seated off a Primos Trigger Sticks tripod. Bang, clang.

P

I can ring steel pretty well at 400-600 yards even with the lowly .270 and 130 grain bullets. I'm also pretty good at ruining a one hole shot group on paper, just by shooting the second round! I'm pretty happy with accurate enough to fill a freezer anymore.

Thought this was a fairly well known issue with the Tikka T3s and Sako A7s. The plastic isn't strong enough and so the top of the mag expands from the spring pressure with cartridges loaded in it. Some cartridges are worse than others. Short action rounds all seem to be fine as the extra block of plastic at the rear adds a lot of strength and holds it all together. Standard and magnum long action rounds seem to be the worst. You can physically see the feed lip area expand when you load shells into it and can squeeze it back down with your fingers. Every single T3 mag I've ever seen or owned does this and they seem to get worse with age my buddies with them have the same issues. The Sako A7 mags are even worse than the Tikkas they were so bad I sold my A7 just because of the crappy mags, my buddy with an A7 still continues to struggle with his after Sako has warrantied his mags 3 times.

I had exactly this problem with a Sako A7 in 308. Failed day 2 of its first hunt. Traded it to n as soon as my hunt was over. Was really hoping the problem was fixed as I have been eyeing a Tikka T3X in 6.5CM.
Originally Posted by p3t3rsn

I had exactly this problem with a Sako A7 in 308. Failed day 2 of its first hunt. Traded it to n as soon as my hunt was over. Was really hoping the problem was fixed as I have been eyeing a Tikka T3X in 6.5CM.

Wow! You and your buddy must have had a really bad streak of luck. Every Tikka mag I've had is built like a damn tank

Trystan
Originally Posted by p3t3rsn

I’m only at about 12,000 rounds through Tikka mags this year, so not much experience.... but, there isn’t a problem with their mags.
Man I love my Tikka accurate easy to pack and it fits me good no problems from 20 above to 35 below. But I really like the rifleman's rifle. After some thought it would be the Winchester
Tikka T3X... Make mine a superlite too...
Love that stock on that Mod. 70
It's like bad to the bone.
Currently there are 2 rifles in contention to go on a trophy mule deer hunt this fall. A m700 based 280 AI,and a T3 270 Win in factory issue.

The big Remington build lays still in the bog pod. Like a corpse. The tuned old school trigger is the best in the safe. A close second is the Kimber. Tikka comes in third.

The thing that keeps easing me toward the T3,is the detachable mag. The last time I took a Tikka to the mountains I carried 3 mags. One lived in/with the rifle. The others were zipped in appropriate jacket or pant pockets. Great way to carry spare ammo. Not to mention the single stack design feeds like a dream. Didn't figure even I could loose all three,lol.

The jury is still out. If I had to grab one right now and head out the door,it would be the Tikka. Shorter,lighter and they both shoot the same to 400 yards. And detachable mags.

I love all the different opinions. It makes our sport great,and inspires more rifle purchases. Nuttin wrong with that.
I’m only at about 12,000 rounds through Tikka mags this year, so not much experience.... but, there isn’t a problem with their mags.

Thanks Form, that’s what I was hoping to hear - those Superlite T3X are appealing.
Not as many rounds through a Tikka as Formy, but in 1,000 or so through various T3s, never had a mag failure and never had a mag crash when dropped.
I broke one. Fired a 280 Rem in a 7 Rem mag. Blew the bottom out of the magazine,the sides stayed in the rifle. Got it back together,but bought a replacement anyway. They aren't indestructible, but that WAS kinda extreme.
Originally Posted by Otter6

The thing that keeps easing me toward the T3,is the detachable mag. The last time I took a Tikka to the mountains I carried 3 mags. One lived in/with the rifle. The others were zipped in appropriate jacket or pant pockets. Great way to carry spare ammo. Not to mention the single stack design feeds like a dream. Didn't figure even I could loose all three,lol.

The jury is still out. If I had to grab one right now and head out the door,it would be the Tikka. Shorter,lighter and they both shoot the same to 400 yards. And detachable mags.

I love all the different opinions. It makes our sport great,and inspires more rifle purchases. Nuttin wrong with that.

I too find the detachable mag an asset, not a detriment, but I grew up using a 760 and various military rifles with box magazines. Never lost a mag but had a bit of trouble inserting the 760 mags at times, not so with the Tikka. In smooth, out smooth. Whats not to like with a quality barrel, accuracy, nice trigger and a design that lends itself to well to quick loading/unloading without those noisy pocket full of loose cartridges?

Always a good idea to carry at least one extra magazine for the the times that you may accidentally throw it under a vehicle's wheel or it drops from the rifle without you noticing it. LOL

I like the five round mags over the three round, very easy to insert and allows extra capacity if needed. Prices have dropped to $30-$35 at sportmans guide/ cheaper than dirt for these mags, so no excuse to have extras

SD
I have both of these rifles.

A Tikka T3X Lite Stainless in .308 and an Extreme Weather in .300WSM.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...13111046/tikka-vs-winchester-ew#comments

The Tikka with scope and sling weighs in at 7lbs. 4oz. unloaded. This is my second Tikka, the first I could never get to shoot MOA with anything, I sent it back to Beretta and they promptly replaced it. The replacement has been amazing with factory ammo and shoots the Hornady 168 Amax load tight. Of the 3 Tikkas I have fooled with, they have probably one of the best, for a factory rifle, triggers I have used. They are about as light a rifle as I would want for the typical hunting that I do. The action is slick and the whole package is very businesslike, no frills, just durable and very accurate.

The Winchester EW rifle weighs 7lbs 14oz. unloaded. In .300 WSM I wouldn't want it any lighter. I've used handloads in this rifle from the start and it shoots sub MOA with 180gr. ballistic tips, accubonds and Hornady sst's. The trigger was not as easy to adjust but it is set at 3 lbs. and is crisp to me, I could probably get a different spring for it and get it down a little lighter. It is one of the earlier models with the stock that everyone complains about, but I haven't had any problems with it. It has a very different feel to it than the Tikka. It's more mechanical feeling with more parts moving, but a very slick action. Brad here on the fire posted a list of minor polishing, touching up items that he does to factory rifles and I did those things to this rifle and it is my favorite rifle package, just not chambered in my favorite cartridge. It is just a very solid rifle, feels good in your hands. Feels like quality. If you needed it to be lighter, I'm sure with a stock swap you could take at least a 1/2 lb. off.

But for the cost of a new stock, you could probably find a Tikka that is already lighter for not much more and just have 2 rifles.

If I had to pick just one for the hunting I do, and I don't have to pick. I would pick the Winchester. If backpacking and steep terrain was my usual, I'd pick the Tikka.

Bob.
I've owned both. I hated the stock on the M70 EW so I traded it on a Browning X-Bolt. I still have 3 Tikka T3/T3x's.
Tikka’s price sure makes it easier to put nicer glass on top, or more tags in your pocket.
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I've owned both. I hated the stock on the M70 EW so I traded it on a Browning X-Bolt. I still have 3 Tikka T3/T3x's.

I've heard the newer stocks on the Winchester EW are slimmer. Anyone know if the wrist area would feel thicker on a 30-06 compared to a .308 on the newer stocks? I thought I can remember reading where people thought the short action felt slimmer on the older models.
Just picked up the Winchester EW in 30-06, very accurate, timney trigger on the way, very happy with the rifle!
Just a suggestion, if you like the Tikka but not so much plastic and prefer a 3-position safety then consider a Sako A7. It has very similar lines to the Tikka, excellent Sako barrel, more metal parts, 3pos safety and the mag release has kind of a safety to prevent accidental release. I have an A7 in .30-06 and bought it instead of the Win Featherweight I had planned to get. The stick fit me so perfectly I had to get it. Excellent bolt and trigger from the get go.

My next rifle I wanted 6.5x55 but didn’t want to spend so much so went with a Tikka T3Lite. Very nice shooter and 85% of what the Sako is but about half the cost.
If I were facing this question I wouldn’t try to answer it without handling both rifles, and an idea of my cartridge preference.

The reason I say that is because my preference for each rifle would depend greatly upon cartridge choice, and the ergonomics of both rifles have influenced the way I shot them.

Funny thing is, all else equal, I’d go with the Tikka in short action cartridges and the Winchester in long action choices.

And even though extraneous to your question, I’ll say anyway, that there are alternatives both above and below the price of these rifles, which you could either (a) buy and swap the stock out for one of your preference for less money, or (b) by the time you spend the money on rifle and aftermarket stock, have purchased a more expensive, nicer rifle in the first place.

Good luck and enjoy!
Model 70 EW in 308 is a marvelous rifle. The trigger breaks perfectly. Its light and very nice handling. Has a safety that actually functions like a safety should
The 308 is a VERY poor return on performance,to recoil ratio.

Hint...................
Gun store in my area has a Featherweight wood stock .308 Winchester Model 70 with stainless barrel. Anyone know if the Featherweight barrel is thinner than the EW?
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The 308 is a VERY poor return on performance,to recoil ratio.

Hint...................

But it is an excellent cartridge for the vast majority of hunting. Hint! And recoil is soft as a maidens kiss, what's not to like?
What production Winchester, current or New Haven?

It's going to be hard to get a better rifle for the same money as the T3x.
Disappointed at how heavy and loud the Saftey is on the EW. So much so I traded it for a Ruger. I’ve owned Tikkas and EW’s and A7’s.... If I was going after Grizz I’d opt for a EW in 30-06 with 6 shots ready to go over a Tikka any day of the week. I shoot the heavier EW better offhand.”
Originally Posted by Shag
Disappointed at how heavy and loud the Saftey is on the EW. So much so I traded it for a Ruger. I’ve owned Tikkas and EW’s and A7’s.... If I was going after Grizz I’d opt for a EW in 30-06 with 6 shots ready to go over a Tikka any day of the week. I shoot the heavier EW better offhand.”

Same. I had a BACO Winchester Featherweight and was simply appalled how loud the safety was. I have a T3X in 308 and like it. Not crazy about the looks, plastic stock and safety. Got a good deal on it though. If I had to do it over again, I wait and try to find a Sako A7, which happened of course, but at that point I didn’t want to have to sell the Tikka after I used it.
Originally Posted by Darryle
What production Winchester, current or New Haven?

It's going to be hard to get a better rifle for the same money as the T3x.

The "Extreme weather" was never made by New Haven, so to answer your question, it has to be "current"....
Originally Posted by Shag
Disappointed at how heavy and loud the Saftey is on the EW. .”

Reading that schit makes me laugh.
I'd bet dollars to donuts that the Tikka is going to be far more accurate out of the box than the Winchester. Can you make a winchester accurate? Hell yes, but it takes a little to get it on par with the Tikka in the accuracy department. Savage is another one that will, often times, be far more accurate than a Winchester model 70 right out of the box. This is coming from a Winchester model 70 lover too. For current production rifles, I'd be looking at the Ruger m77 Hawkeye all weather rifle as well. At least those are still being made here in the States, if that is of any concern wink....
I've never owned a Tikka, but my SIL bought a T3Lite (I think it is?) in 7mm Mag one year just to pack down in this awful canyon. He got his Bull too. I shot it with him at the range and it was indeed accurate, and very light. If you want lightweight and accurate, go Tikka. If a man wants to have a bit heftier rifle, and fool around with it, then a Mod 70. The Tikka, for me, feels OK but has a lot of plastic, it just doesn't "feel sturdy" to me. I'm sure they are like everything else, but they are "different". I also don't care for the looks of the action and the magazine protruding out the bottom. Another reason I never liked the early Browning BLRs, the magazine sticking out. I packed an M16 long enough ( and I have a Bushmaster Predator for coyotes) I don't like them for sport hunting, bugs me. I like "slim and trim" in my hands...but that's just me. smile
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I've never owned a Tikka, but my SIL bought a T3Lite (I think it is?) in 7mm Mag one year just to pack down in this awful canyon. He got his Bull too. I shot it with him at the range and it was indeed accurate, and very light. If you want lightweight and accurate, go Tikka. If a man wants to have a bit heftier rifle, and fool around with it, then a Mod 70. The Tikka, for me, feels OK but has a lot of plastic, it just doesn't "feel sturdy" to me. I'm sure they are like everything else, but they are "different". I also don't care for the looks of the action and the magazine protruding out the bottom. Another reason I never liked the early Browning BLRs, the magazine sticking out. I packed an M16 long enough ( and I have a Bushmaster Predator for coyotes) I don't like them for sport hunting, bugs me. I like "slim and trim" in my hands...but that's just me. smile

The tikka is "slim and trim" in ones hands. The magazine doesn't protrude out from the bottom of the rifle either, unless you buy a higher capacity magazine. I love model 70's as well, but in some instances the superlite is better, and vise versa. Now, just last year I was comparing 2 rifles side by side and those were both stainless. One being a nice model 70 classic stainless sporter chambered in 7WSM, the other was a Tikka t3x superlite 7mm rem magnum. After shooting them side by side, I decided to get rid of the Tikka, in favor of the model 70. This decision was based on felt recoil and design preference. Now I have a T3x chambered in 6.5 creedmoor and you couldn't get me to sell that rifle. I didn't see what chambering the OP wants, but if it's anything bigger than 7mm rem mag, I'd pass on the Tikka. I'd probably pass on the EW too and find a good old classic stainless with the better trigger...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The tikka is "slim and trim" in ones hands. The magazine doesn't protrude out from the bottom of the rifle either, unless you buy a higher capacity magazine.

Sure it does, even the standard capacity. It doesn’t stick out much, but it’s not flush.

P

The tikka is "slim and trim" in ones hands. The magazine doesn't protrude out from the bottom of the rifle either, unless you buy a higher capacity magazine.

Sure it does, even the standard capacity. It doesn’t stick out much, but it’s not flush.

P

Sure it does, but not very much at all:
[Linked Image]

When I carry my Tikka in the field, I'm not carring it right under the mag box either. That's not where it balances. Your hand barley touches the mag when carrying in the field....
I own the tikka t3 stainless lite in 3006. I also have the blued version of an EW that Winchester sold as the extreme sporter in 300 wsm. Very different guns, hard to compare, both well built. The tikka is push feed, no bedding, independent recoil flange......Winchester has a full alum bedded B&C stock, control round feed.....l like them both. By the way, I also have a ruger Hawkeye 3006 and have compared the grip of the CRF to that of the winchester....the winny is much, much stronger, at least in my case.
I have both and yes the FW barrel is thinner

BSA,
I agree on looking at the Ruger, but they quit making the All-Weather a few years ago. (Much to my disdain)
Originally Posted by fishybobtrout
The Winchester EW rifle weighs 7lbs 14oz. unloaded. . . . . Brad here on the fire posted a list of minor polishing, touching up items that he does to factory rifles and I did those things to this rifle and it is my favorite rifle package . . .

I know this is an older thread, but could someone point me to Brad's thread showing the polishing and touch-up items for a factory rifle? I've got a Winchester M70 Extreme Weather I'd love to slickup.
Originally Posted by shinbone
Originally Posted by fishybobtrout
The Winchester EW rifle weighs 7lbs 14oz. unloaded. . . . . Brad here on the fire posted a list of minor polishing, touching up items that he does to factory rifles and I did those things to this rifle and it is my favorite rifle package . . .

I know this is an older thread, but could someone point me to Brad's thread showing the polishing and touch-up items for a factory rifle? I've got a Winchester M70 Extreme Weather I'd love to slickup.

Especially how to polish that noisy assed safety! (grin)
You'd do well to polish up your noisy assed approach,because the decibels are alike.

Hint.

Window Lickers NEVER fhuqking disappoint!

LAUGHING!................
Boggles my mind that Winchester announced the extreme weather in 6.5 creed as a 2018 SHOT show special and they STILL haven’t hit dealer shelves. Either they are going for a record, or waiting to see if the chambering will catch on.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Boggles my mind that Winchester announced the extreme weather in 6.5 creed as a 2018 SHOT show special and they STILL haven’t hit dealer shelves. Either they are going for a record, or waiting to see if the chambering will catch on.

I waited a long time for that very rifle after the announcement. Got tired of the wait and ended up buying an EW in 7mm08 instead of the Creed. No regrets at this point.

Typical Winchester.

Typical Winchester.

Lighten up on Winchester guys, an obscure chambering like the Creedmoor takes time for research, development, sourcing reamers.....

Remmy did the same, remember the SPS 260

Then there is Barrett and the 223 FC
Originally Posted by RDW

Typical Winchester.

Lighten up on Winchester guys, an obscure chambering like the Creedmoor takes time for research, development, sourcing reamers.....

Remmy did the same, remember the SPS 260

Then there is Barrett and the 223 FC

Doesn't matter what caliber it is. That's how they roll. I ordered a M70 Fwt a few years back that took 14 months to get here. And it wasn't even that impressive.
EVERYBODY comments on Tikka out of the box accuracy.

Like "I've never seen a Tikka that doesn't shoot."

Model 70? Not so much.
You also don't hear many say, "boy this Tikka fits me like a glove. I really like this stock."
You also don't hear many say, "boy this Tikka fits me like a glove. I really like this stock."

Ive never heard people say the ew stock is like a 2x4 either wink

Who’s the birthday boy?

P

No. That is true. The new ones are not. I love em. If the LGS ever gets the 7-08 they supposedly ordered, I'll have another one. laugh

Who’s the birthday boy?

P

laugh
Are the Model 70 EWs really much more of an accuracy gamble compared to a Tikka T3x or Sako A7?
Originally Posted by elelbean
Are the Model 70 EWs really much more of an accuracy gamble compared to a Tikka T3x or Sako A7?

No
Originally Posted by elelbean

No

I wouldn’t give one any advantage over the other.
I have a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in the 270 and it is far and away my favorite rifle. I did customize it with duracoat in matte black because the stainless steel was a little shiny for my liking in hunting situations. Great stock, aluminum bedded, fluted barrel, free floating, accurate, etc. etc. I expect my next rifle with be another Winchester Extreme Weather for sure. I bought mine in 2009 so the stock is the older version, but it is stout and sturdy and I have zero complaints.

To be fair,it would have to be a treated 2X4. All weather and such. Treated would closer duplicate the weight of that clubby sumitch.
Originally Posted by Otter6

To be fair,it would have to be a treated 2X4. All weather and such. Treated would closer duplicate the weight of that clubby sumitch.

Ha ha.. Or the new composite decking boards... That would be an even closer comparison... Hey, at least it probably won't warp that way....
In OEM issued guise,both suck heavy ass.

Hint................
Sadly, such is the case with most affordable options these days. I will say I never felt the need to put a timiney in a Tikka. Yo Dave spring yes.
In OEM issued guise,both suck heavy ass.

Hint................

YOU suck heavy ass lol/
AKPENDOOSH

You "lucky" Kchunt,PLEASE try to talk rifles a bit more.

LAUGHING!..................
AKPENDOOSH

You "lucky" Kchunt,PLEASE try to talk rifles a bit more.

LAUGHING!..................

Lol ok
© 24hourcampfire