Home
So a new rifle came to live at my house yesterday -- a new Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS. Still have to mount the Talley rings/bases and my Leupold VX-III 2.5-8. It'll be Friday before I can wring it out at the range, but at present, I love it. The fit and finish are outstanding. The bolt was really smooth right out of the box, and after cleaning and oiling, it runs like a snake in a rat hole. The MOA trigger was set to a little over 4 pounds out of the box with zero creep and zero overtravel. After removing the epoxy covering the adjustment screws at the factory (presumably to keep them from working out under recoil), I adjusted it down to about 3.25 pounds, which was easy. It's now a nearly perfect trigger. Without the scope, the rifle balances at the front action screw. The muzzle diameter of the 22" barrel is pretty close to .622, leaving about .157 of steel surrounding the bore. My copy weighs pretty close to 6.8 pounds. With Talley rings and my scope it should finish pretty close to 7.6 pounds, which I think is about right for an all-around rifle. Certainly not too heavy to trudge into the mountains for elk, which is what prompted its purchase. My brother and I are planning our first elk hunt out west for next fall. All in all, the rifle seems pure perfection. If it shoots as well as it's been built, it ought to be a humdinger. If I can figure out how to posts images here (seems like it should be easier than it is), I'll add a few.
Does it speak Portuguese? Let us know how she shoots for you. Pics would be great..
Just re-read Terry Wieland's articles on the 80th anniversary of the M70. Seems the action is made somewhere in America, where not specified, the barrels are hammer-forged in SC by FN, and the stocks are made in Portugal as they were even during the New Haven days before FN took over. Only difference is where the final assembly takes place, presently Portugal.

I can remember A5s that were assembled there from Belgian parts, before everything went to Miroku. FN is a multi-national outfit and while some of their stuff looks a bit metro-sexual to my Luddite eye, I've never seen anything that was of poor quality. I'm just glad someone is still making them, even if his name is Diego. Just put an Ultimate Shadow on layaway at Whittaker, and all I know is that it was made either in SC or Portugal. Which one matters not.
Okay, here goes my attempt at adding a few pics, which largely amounts to a test of how well I follow directions. ;-)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
FCF What do ya think, you might like to use for bullets?
Welcome to the Campfire.
There are a few fellas on here who have the same rifle as you. They have good reviews as far as I know.

Wish you luck on your hunt.
Did good.
Hammerdown, the initial goal will be to get it ready for deer hunting this fall. And while I will eventually work up some handloads, the initial tests later this week will be with factory ammo. I plan to test Hornady's American Whitetail 150 gr. load, Federal's 150 gr. Ballistic Tip load, Federal's 150 gr. Partition load, and Nosler's Trophy Grade 165 gr. AccuBond load. The AccuBonds would, of course, be great elk bullets. When I get around to rolling my own elk medicine, I'll likely aim at using 165 gr. AccuBonds or Partitions.
Sounds good, wish you the best.
Im glad you posted a pic if the rifle. It reminds me of one i looked at a couple months ago. The trigger guard was painted for some reason. The paint was chipped and it appeared to be steel under the paint, not stainless steel. I couldnt confirm one way way or the other, but it was definitely a turn off. One of the reasons why i question the actual overall quality of the newer Portuguese rifles. If i had a magnet, I'd be inclined to check that bottom metal. Also, from the picture, the glass bedding is pretty skimpy. If you find you are getting poor accuracy, you may consider re-bedding that rifle.
According to Wieland, some have alloy guards, some steel, but the floorplates are steel. Pretty sure the light ones are going to be alloy for light weight, like the light MRC models and original Featherweights. Nothing unusual there, and no big deal if they work properly. Better than crappy DMs.

Both my sons had SS Classics made in New Haven. Both had minor fit issues, one with the glob of hot glue that was supposed to be bedding, the other with a floorplate that kept flopping open. Easy fixes, but annoying and IMHO, inexcusable. Wieland claims these are the best ever, which may be a stretch.
I have one of these chambered in .300 WSM in route to my FFL, These rifles are a fuzz heavy for my taste but I like the new slimmer grey B&C Stock (the stock is not made in Portugal like someone posted) much better than the old blocky, chunky black B&C stock Winchester used on the first Extreme Weather models...I doubt the rifle is "Pure perfection" but I think it should make a solid, rugged hunting rifle, I just hope the it's a sub MOA shooter....Hb
OP,
Can you post a weight of the stock if you have a moment the next time you have it apart? Curious just how much lighter it is. Thank you and congrats on your acquisition!
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
OP,
Can you post a weight of the stock if you have a moment the next time you have it apart? Curious just how much lighter it is. Thank you and congrats on your acquisition!

Yes, this is an excellent question, I was told by a girl at Stockys Stocks that these only weigh 28 oz's, I would love to see someone weigh one of these on a good scale and give us an actual weight as 28 oz's seems mighty light for a B&C rifle stock.....Hb
I have the same rifle, chambered in 308, you’re gonna love it. It’s one that I’ll never sell!! It now sets in an Edge, shoots no better than it did in the B&C, but it sure feels a lot nicer in my hands. It loves Ballistic Tips and Varget, makes itty bitty groups, and deer hate it. (125 gr BT and 48 gr of Varget)
[Linked Image]
I have the same rifle, a 2008 production. The floorplate is steel, trigger guard aluminum alloy. That may have changed in 10 years. I ended up with an extra PT&G all aluminum bottom metal that I wasn't using that I put on and saved 2 oz. I wouldn't have ordered one for 2 oz, but I had it so why not use it.

My rifle is 100% USA made in SC. For a while they were making the parts here and assembling them in Portugal. I'm fairly certain that all of them made in the last few years are 100% Portugal made and assembled.

I liked the rifle a lot as it came and used it for a year before someone posted a used Edge stock here in the classifieds that I bought for it. The Edge stock reduced weight by 7 oz and just feels and looks a lot better to me.

It is one of the most consistently accurate rifles I've ever owned. It shoots everything I feed it well. I've tried 130 gr TTSX's up to 178 gr ELD-X bullets as well as various 150, 155, 165, and 168 gr bullets. Everything but the 130 TTSX's hit close enough at 100 that I don't worry about it. For some reason the 130's hit way high and right. They are accurate, but too far from zero to use without re-zeroing for just that load.
I have the same rifle, a 2008 production. The floorplate is steel, trigger guard aluminum alloy. That may have changed in 10 years. I ended up with an extra PT&G all aluminum bottom metal that I wasn't using that I put on and saved 2 oz. I wouldn't have ordered one for 2 oz, but I had it so why not use it.

My rifle is 100% USA made in SC. For a while they were making the parts here and assembling them in Portugal. I'm fairly certain that all of them made in the last few years are 100% Portugal made and assembled.

No, it's not. Read my post above. That article was in the Jan. 2017 Rifle. Yours is marked USA because most of the work was done here. Parts were sourced from the US and Portugal. Trade laws require marking the country of origin based on percentage of work done where.
I think you can check "shop for a rifle" off your list....I like it.
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
OP,

Yes, this is an excellent question, I was told by a girl at Stockys Stocks that these only weigh 28 oz's, I would love to see someone weigh one of these on a good scale and give us an actual weight as 28 oz's seems mighty light for a B&C rifle stock.....Hb

Yes. I’d like to see some objective data on this. I have seen people post that they are much improved; others report that according to Winchester they are unchanged! Adding to the confusion is the difference between the long and short action stocks, which has always exhisted. I often wonder if folks are comparing “new” SA to “old” LA. Subjectively , I recently handled a new Portugal production long action and could tell no difference between the older SC production.
Nice rifle. In regards to the naysayers putting down your new toy, I suspect the bedding is fine and I wouldn't have an issue with Portugal assembly. For what it's worth the bedding is way better than the New Haven guns. Go enjoy. Great rifle!
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Nice rifle. [...] For what it's worth the bedding is way better than the New Haven guns. Go enjoy. Great rifle!

That is sure the truth!
Originally Posted by Pappy348

No, it's not. Read my post above. That article was in the Jan. 2017 Rifle. Yours is marked USA because most of the work was done here. Parts were sourced from the US and Portugal. Trade laws require marking the country of origin based on percentage of work done where.

I read your post above. The only part you're claiming isn't USA made is the stock. Maybe true with the wood stocks, but the EW has a B&C stock on it not wood. And I'm not even certain I agree about the wood stocks. The stocks on the newer rifles is certainly "different" than those made prior to the move to Portugal. The difference is subtle and you have to hold them side by side to see and feel the difference. Not necessarily good or bad, just different.

But I do agree that it wouldn't matter to me where they are made as long as they are well made. I can find no fault with the Portugal guns.
JMR,
How would you describe the differences having held them side by side?
I couldn’t tell a difference but I did not have them both in hand at the same time. Appreciate it.
JMR,
How would you describe the differences having held them side by side?
I couldn’t tell a difference but I did not have them both in hand at the same time. Appreciate it.

I have the same question. I have BACO FWTs made in 2008, 2012 and 2016. The stocks all feel the same to me.
Due to popular demand, I'll try and pull the barreled action from the stock and weigh the stock tomorrow. ;-) I will add that I have a 2003 New Haven Classic in .30-06 that shoots well, but this new Extreme Weather SS seems to me to be better built. I have no issues with it being made/assembled in Portugal. Quality is quality, and I don't care where it comes from as long as it's built well. Of course the proof's in the pudding and we'll see later this week how it shoots. Stay tuned . . . .
I have the same thing burbin 30-06 asnmy back up/all around/moose rifle. Talley lightweight lows and a meopta meopro 3-9x40 scope it comes in at 8lb 2oz.
Originally Posted by JMR40

I read your post above. The only part you're claiming isn't USA made is the stock. Maybe true with the wood stocks, but the EW has a B&C stock on it not wood. And I'm not even certain I agree about the wood stocks. The stocks on the newer rifles is certainly "different" than those made prior to the move to Portugal. The difference is subtle and you have to hold them side by side to see and feel the difference. Not necessarily good or bad, just different.

But I do agree that it wouldn't matter to me where they are made as long as they are well made. I can find no fault with the Portugal guns.

Point taken about yours with the B&C. Actions and barrels are still, as far as I can determine, still made here, not Portugal though.

Funny how some look at this stuff (not you). For years after a couple of Winchester shotguns were made in Japan, some guys swore that all, or a lot of the Winchester line was made in Japan. Now the leverguns actually are, and the 101 that started the rumors, is made in Belgium. People love Finnish and German rifles, Italian, Austrian, Spanish and even Turkish shotguns, but get all hinky because a favorite rifle is kept in production at an affordable price by doing the final assembly in a long-established FN factory in another European country. Some would, apparently, rather have it just go away for good.

While we're at it, the much-reviled safeties on most of the leverguns were demanded by the USRAC folks, not Miroku. The 73s don't have them, thankfully, or the 1885s. We can only hope that someday FN will make them go away. Miroku has redesigned the 94 just a bit for smoother operation, I've read.

Those EWs really make me drool. If not for the Barrett on its way, I could really go for one. Have to be content with the Ultimate Shadow
I just found at Whittaker, for now anyway.
Good points Pappy. I own and hunt with 2 Winchester M70 SS Featherweights. One is a 6 digit New Haven gun. The other is a SC BACO gun. I wish both were BACO guns, trigger and all. RJ
So I just pulled the stock and weighed it. My scale's pretty accurate, but just to eliminate any error (there wasn't much), I weighed it a number of times and averaged the weights. The average for my .308 stock comes in right at 32 oz. Not surprising considering the amount of aluminum in the Bell & Carlson stock. While I was at it, I weighed the bottom metal, including the follower and spring. It came out to 4.55 oz. Hope that helps.

Akpendude, my New Haven .30-06 with Leupold rings/bases and a Leupold 2.5-8 comes in at 8.6 pounds. It shoots well, but it's a bit of a beast. Definitely not a mountain rifle.
Never had a problem with the old triggers, but that ship has sailed. Only quibble I have with the current models has been around since 1964, when they began using a separate bolt handle. Reliable people have reported it coming loose under hard use. Doubt if that will be an issue for me, and it can be fixed by a little welding if anyone feels it's a problem.
Originally Posted by FairChaseFood
So I just pulled the stock and weighed it. My scale's pretty accurate, but just to eliminate any error (there wasn't much), I weighed it a number of times and averaged the weights. The average for my .308 stock comes in right at 32 oz. Not surprising considering the amount of aluminum in the Bell & Carlson stock. While I was at it, I weighed the bottom metal, including the follower and spring. It came out to 4.55 oz. Hope that helps.

Akpendude, my New Haven .30-06 with Leupold rings/bases and a Leupold 2.5-8 comes in at 8.6 pounds. It shoots well, but it's a bit of a beast. Definitely not a mountain rifle.

Got one of those stocks on a Mauser and it's pretty beefy. Good value for the money though, and easily obtainable.

My Knight ML wears one of their Kevlar stocks. Like to see them sell those for bolt guns.

Yeah, knock a pound off that rifle and you can carry it anywhere...🤔

My old Tupperware stocked 22" M70 w/ dual dovetails and a VXIIc 3x9 is 8lb 1oz...FWIW
Never had a problem with the old triggers, but that ship has sailed. Only quibble I have with the current models has been around since 1964, when they began using a separate bolt handle. Reliable people have reported it coming loose under hard use. Doubt if that will be an issue for me, and it can be fixed by a little welding if anyone feels it's a problem.

I agree about the trigger. My New Haven .30-06 has one of the old triggers. It's okay, but I need to take it to a good gunsmith to get rid of the excess weight and creep. The new rifle had a pretty darn nice trigger right out of the box, and once I adjusted the weight down to around 3.25 pounds, it's darn near perfect. Maybe not quite the level of perfection as a good Timney, but very very good.

Thank you for taking the time to do that. Same weight as the “old” SC stock.

Thanks for weighing your stock, I will weigh mine for chits and giggles when I get it this week.....Hb

Thank you for taking the time to do that. Same weight as the “old” SC stock.

So you think the stock has not been changed and made slimmer?.....Hb
I can't say that. But that is exactly what I am trying to ascertain. Haven't had the two side by side. I personally couldn't tell a difference handling one at lgs then coming home and handling a 2009. JMR stated the difference was subtle and he had the two side by side. Perhaps he will chime back in. I can say that per OP's weight of the new stock, it is the same as the old (at least for these two samples, both SA.)

Thanks for weighing your stock, I will weigh mine for chits and giggles when I get it this week.....Hb

VA Hillbilly, what caliber is yours in?
Mine is a chambered in .300 WSM....Hb
I can't say that. But that is exactly what I am trying to ascertain. Haven't had the two side by side. I personally couldn't tell a difference handling one at lgs then coming home and handling a 2009. JMR stated the difference was subtle and he had the two side by side. Perhaps he will chime back in. I can say that per OP's weight of the new stock, it is the same as the old (at least for these two samples, both SA.)
I have never handled them side by side either but the difference in feel to me is significant, for Myself the new grey stock feels much slimmer than the stock on the first generation EW ......Hb
Congrats on the rifle. Can’t see you being disappointed in that rifle. I’m a little sour on the Portugal part but all I have looked at have been well put together. If I can’t find a P64 Featherweight 308 id do a new EW as my next choice I think. Can’t wait to see some groups from it. Good luck.
As long as the quality build is there assembled in Portugal means zero to me, some of the best built guns I have ever seen were made in Miroku Japan.... I will have a non-fanboy range report on the EW sometime this week.......Hb
As long as the quality build is there assembled in Portugal means zero to me, some of the best built guns I have ever seen were made in Miroku Japan.... I will have a non-fanboy range report on the EW sometime this week.......Hb

I totally agree. Hopefully I'll have a range report on my EW .308 this next weekend as well.
I don’t care one bit about the Portugal stamp, my EW 30-06 is an excellent shooter, well built, well finished, feels good, shoots great. That’s what I care about.

I totally agree. Hopefully I'll have a range report on my EW .308 this next weekend as well.
Excellent! Good luck.....Hb
I have an older 308 ew made in sc. It's a quality rifle that's never disappointed. Killed my elk last year at 266yds with 180gr factory nosler partitions. I'm betting you newer ew will meet your needs. Good hunting.
The only rifle I regret selling is my Extreme Weather in .308 here on the Campfire. It shot most everything MOA or better. I put the same scope on mine that you have. 😔
Someone around here has one in an Edge McMillan and it's bad ass....
Originally Posted by 16bore

Oh yes it is......Hb

Oh yes it is......Hb

And a 270 in a FWT pattern. I'd take either myself.

But, alas....the old PF M70 270, 9 stocks later, lord knows how many scopes, tin canned shimmed rear base hand me down, jimmyphucked 4# trigger job, blueing worn off the crown, 8+ lb, factory ammo shooting POS wins every time.
Forgot to mention the 3x9 VXIIc I nabbed off my brother somewhere around the late 80's that's never missed a beat. Ha!!

Oh yes it is......Hb

But, alas....the old PF M70 270, 9 stocks later, lord knows how many scopes, tin canned shimmed rear base hand me down, jimmyphucked 4# trigger job, blueing worn off the crown, 8+ lb, factory ammo shooting POS wins every time.

Sounds like a hell of a rifle to Me 16....😁....Hb
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow
The only rifle I regret selling is my Extreme Weather in .308 here on the Campfire. It shot most everything MOA or better. I put the same scope on mine that you have. 😔

Excellent! It's a good combination, I think.

Oh yes it is......Hb

One of the rifles I regret selling the most was a push-feed M70 in .270 that my Dad bought me when I was 12. It was my first rifle, and it shot lights out. Killed a few deer and three antelope with it, then someone convinced me that it was inferior because it wasn't a controlled-round feed, so because I was stupid, I sold it.
Pre 64 logic.....

Forgot to mention the rear bases on mine are 8-40, front 6-48.

Tapped by hand, of course......
Pre 64 logic.....

Lmao! That is too damn funny!....Hb

Oh yes it is......Hb

One of the rifles I regret selling the most was a push-feed M70 in .270 that my Dad bought me when I was 12. It was my first rifle, and it shot lights out. Killed a few deer and three antelope with it, then someone convinced me that it was inferior because it wasn't a controlled-round feed, so because I was stupid, I sold it.

I think the Winchester 70 push feed is a better design than the Remington 700 👍....The Mod 70 has a better factory extractor.....Hb
Pre 64 logic.....

Lmao! That is too damn funny!....Hb

2 Partitions and a Fusion

[Linked Image]

Don't know why I've hated on this rifle for years. I've killed more with it than anything. Now she's my honey bunny.....
She is most certainly a shooter......Hb
She's had her days. Only a dumbass would chase his tail with a bunch of other rigs, scopes, and crap to try and re-invent the wheel.

Oh wait.......that was me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
At least now you have had your "awakening" and see her clearly for what she is...better late than never 😁......Hb
Okay, so I took the new baby to the range for its first play session this weekend. I couldn't be happier. But before I share the results, let me share a few specs. After mounting the Leupold 2.5-8x scope, the rifle finished out at 7.6 pounds, which I think is perfectly acceptable for a do-anything rifle such as this. Also, it balances beautifully. The balance point is 5 7/8" in front of the deepest part of the trigger.

So I tested four factory .308 loads over two days:
1) Hornady American Whitetail (150 gr. Hornady InterLock)
2) Federal Premium (150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip)
3) Federal Premium (150 gr. Nosler Partition)
4) Nosler Trophy Grade (165 gr. Nosler AccuBond)

Below are a few groups (and photos):
Hornady 150 gr. InterLock = 5/8"
Federal 150 gr. Ballistic Tip = 3/8" (by far the best group all weekend)
Federal 150 gr. Partition = .60"
Nosler 165 gr. AccuBond = .98"

The combined average of all groups shot this weekend with all loads at 100 yards is 1.18"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

All in all, this rifle appears to be the most accurate rifle I've ever owned, which makes me very, VERY happy! ;-)
Excellent! I'm glad she's a shooter....congrats!......Hb
By the way, I ran all the loads through my chronograph, just to see what I was getting out of the 22-inch barrel. Temp was about 75 degrees, 80% humidity, and we were at about 1100 feet elevation.

Hornady American Whitetail 150 gr. InterLock = 2798 fps avg.
Federal Premium 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip = 2829 fps avg.
Federal Premium 150 gr. Nosler Partition = 2895 fps avg.
Nosler Trophy Grade 165 gr. AccuBond = 2641 fps avg.
I don't think my images showed up in the post above and I have no idea why. Here's the link to my image gallery and you can see the groups there.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...04/winchester-70-ew-ss-308-range-results
Good shootin bump.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Oh yes, some very good shooting......Hb
Go buy about 15 boxes of that 150 Partition load and dont look back. Best factory rifle going IMO, miss the 30-06 I had. If I were to purchase another it would be a 7-08.
Outstanding, wish my pre 64 FW 308's would do that. They are a little fussier with loads.
Good deal FairChase! You got a keeper for sure. Congrats-
Good shootin bump.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for posting these pics for me, 16bore! Don't know what I did wrong but I couldn't get them to show up no matter what I tried. Anyway, I appreciate the help!
Originally Posted by TomM1
Go buy about 15 boxes of that 150 Partition load and dont look back. Best factory rifle going IMO, miss the 30-06 I had. If I were to purchase another it would be a 7-08.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. And about 15 boxes of the American Whitetail load. Of course I'll do some handloading for it soon too, and it'll be interesting to see if I can do better with the AccuBonds and 165 gr. Partitions. But I could take it hunting tomorrow without a concern in the world. Now all I need is something brown and fuzzy to point it at. ;-)
Go to your gallery, hover over the thumbnail and click "open in new tab". Copy the URL then go to the "full editor" mode and select the picture icon, and paste it in the box. Probably and easier way somehow, but it works.

Don't know that I'd bother touching the press with factory groups like that!
Go to your gallery, hover over the thumbnail and click "open in new tab". Copy the URL then go to the "full editor" mode and select the picture icon, and paste it in the box. Probably and easier way somehow, but it works.

Don't know that I'd bother touching the press with factory groups like that!

16bore . . . Well, I thought that's what I'd done before, but I just went back and edited my earlier post doing what you said and voila! It now has images. Must not have been holding my mouth right the first time. :-)

Thanks for the help!
Nice rifle and some really nice shooting. I had one of the early SC Extreme Weather M70’s in 308 that was a shooter too, but for reasons I don’t remember, I let it get away. Been sorry for a long time now.
[Linked Image]

My 7mm-08 would not shoot under an inch even after two trips to Hill Country Rifles. It resides in someone elses safe now, too bad I love the rifle.
I have a new Featherweight 270win coming tomorrow and I just hope it shoots like some of the rifles above....
Nice rifles and nice shooting! I put a new 270WSM Model 70 Sporter in the mail yesterday. Going to order a steel floorplate for it, rather than the alloy it is coming with.
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
Nice rifles and nice shooting! I put a new 270WSM Model 70 Sporter in the mail yesterday. Going to order a steel floorplate for it, rather than the alloy it is coming with.

Where are you getting the steel floor plate? I want to do the same

Thanks
my south carolina version, also in 308, shot both 150gr federal fusion and 150gr corelokts so well i've never tried another factory load for deer. for elk i just bought a couple boxes of federal premium 180gr partitions. i don't remember how they grouped, but one shot killed my elk last year at 266 yards. like the op, no need to reload for my ew. wish all factory rifles were as good with as little work. ymmv.
Originally Posted by harv3589
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry

Where are you getting the steel floor plate? I want to do the same

Thanks

A private source that I can't repeat, but if you look on eBay, once and awhile they list Winchester new & used parts. The alloy is nice, but steel is king.
Originally Posted by Buzzaw
[Linked Image]

My 7mm-08 would not shoot under an inch even after two trips to Hill Country Rifles. It resides in someone elses safe now, too bad I love the rifle.

Yeah, It's a great rifle.
I bought that rifle from you. My nephew fell in love with it, so I sold it to him before I shot it. He has now found a few loads that work very well in this rifle. His favorite or his's wife's, is Barnes 120 grain T-TSX it will do a 1/2 inch at 100 yards.

Have a good day.
© 24hourcampfire