Home
Posted By: persiandog gun selling remorse - 08/08/18
I sold my beloved Kimber 84M 2 weeks ago and been depressed ever since. why did i do that ?
guns are not inanimate objects , i had a dream last night about my kimber,is there any cure for my depression ? may be i buy a .308 and 6.5 CM just to get even.
Posted By: skeen Re: gun selling remorse - 08/08/18
It's just a gun, man. They'll make more.
Posted By: persiandog Re: gun selling remorse - 08/08/18
Originally Posted by skeen
It's just a gun, man. They'll make more.

i spent a lot of time with her . lots of memories. i can't let go.
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: gun selling remorse - 08/08/18
The best way to get over one is to get under a new one...so to speak.
Posted By: Teeder Re: gun selling remorse - 08/08/18
Why did you sell it?
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: gun selling remorse - 08/08/18
never had it.
Originally Posted by Teeder
Why did you sell it?

somebody offered to buy it with scope , bipod for a good price and said yes. at least I know she is in a good hand.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: gun selling remorse - 08/08/18
Originally Posted by persiandog
I sold my beloved Kimber 84M 2 weeks ago and been depressed ever since. why did i do that ?
guns are not inanimate objects , i had a dream last night about my kimber,is there any cure for my depression ? may be i buy a .308 and 6.5 CM just to get even.

Want to get over the niggling angst you are experiencing, cuddle up to one of these.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DollarShort Re: gun selling remorse - 08/08/18
Lots of fish in the sea
Posted By: KH1473 Re: gun selling remorse - 08/08/18
Buy another 84M, plenty to be had
Posted By: DubThomas Re: gun selling remorse - 08/08/18
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
The best way to get over one is to get under a new one...so to speak.

Or BEHIND it in this case.
Posted By: Ruger77Shooter Re: gun selling remorse - 08/08/18
Relax...it's not like it's a Mossberg or the like.

J/K...I have had seller's remorse a couple of times. Maybe the gentleman will sell it back to you.
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
Relax...it's not like it's a Mossberg or the like.

J/K...I have had seller's remorse a couple of times. Maybe the gentleman will sell it back to you.

no , he lives up north near Shasta. i buy a new one soon.
Posted By: lastround Re: gun selling remorse - 08/08/18
I have experienced remorse many times, but it too will pass
Posted By: moosemike Re: gun selling remorse - 08/08/18
Yup. It never goes away in some cases.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: gun selling remorse - 08/08/18
I'm sorry, aren't the rules of this sight that if you sell a rifle you are banned for a week or two? Selling is sacreligious!
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: gun selling remorse - 08/09/18
I traded an original Ruger 77 220 Swift with an outsourced factory Shilen barrel for a Browning 81 308 I just had to have. Now I have neither. Stupid me.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: gun selling remorse - 08/09/18
I sold a mossberg 835 shotgun once. I ran away from that transaction and have considered the meager exchange I got for it extraordinary!
Posted By: 16bore Re: gun selling remorse - 08/09/18
The bigger better deal seldom is. Sold quite a few over the years and I'd have to say I regret monkeying with them in the first place, rather than getting rid of them. Ended up full circle to a hand me down that's taken more game than the rest of them put together.
Posted By: Driftboater Re: gun selling remorse - 08/09/18
Hey Persiandog, You're allowed to have guns in communist California?
Posted By: persiandog Re: gun selling remorse - 08/09/18
Originally Posted by Driftboater

yes until further notice !

i am moving to Boise soon.
Posted By: sidepass Re: gun selling remorse - 08/09/18
Only allowed 45 long guns and 10 pistols. No more room in the safes.
Posted By: peeshooter Re: gun selling remorse - 08/09/18
Remorse always passes. Buy something nicer.
Originally Posted by sidepass
Only allowed 45 long guns and 10 pistols. No more room in the safes.

buy a bigger safe.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: gun selling remorse - 08/09/18
As has already been stated several times in this thread, the best way to get over selling a "beloved" rifle is to go out and buy another.. I have owned many dozens of rifles and I have liked some more than others but I never got attached to any given rifle so much that I wouldn't sell it if the price was right.....Good luck.....Hb
Posted By: drover Re: gun selling remorse - 08/09/18
Originally Posted by Driftboater

yes until further notice !

i am moving to Boise soon.

You will not have to deal with culture shock, Boise has become California in Idaho. Lots of your fellow Californians there and also lots of Mexicans (sorry - undocumented immigrants), Somalis, other unidentifiable Africans that the various church organizations have brought in, Russians, Ukrainians, Middle Easteners of all sorts.
Traffic has become so bad that it often comes to a complete stop on the interstate. Oh yes - I almost forgot to mention that the smog is so bad some days that the mountains cannot be seen. The median home price in Boise is now over $308,000 dollars and it is one of the fastest growing areas in the U.S.
It certainly is not the Boise I knew and loved so many years ago, but since you are coming from California it will probably not bother you so much.

drover
Posted By: smallfry Re: gun selling remorse - 08/09/18

First much of your depression probably because of the fact you live in California but it’s also easy to get depressed after selling a gun. The cure... stop selling them. I have regretted selling EVERY single one of mine in one way or another. Fortunately it has resulted in this pattern of behavior (same as getting rid of a cartridge) for me
1) Gun/cartridge sold...
2) Depression/sellers remorse occurs
3) Buy new gun/cartridge to replace
4) Buy another
5) Buy back exact cartridge and gun or similar gun

This pathway is more costly than not selling it but you do get two more guns/cartridges out of it.
Originally Posted by drover

You will not have to deal with culture shock, Boise has become California in Idaho. Lots of your fellow Californians there and also lots of Mexicans (sorry - undocumented immigrants), Somalis, other unidentifiable Africans that the various church organizations have brought in, Russians, Ukrainians, Middle Easteners of all sorts.
Traffic has become so bad that it often comes to a complete stop on the interstate. Oh yes - I almost forgot to mention that the smog is so bad some days that the mountains cannot be seen. The median home price in Boise is now over $308,000 dollars and it is one of the fastest growing areas in the U.S.
It certainly is not the Boise I knew and loved so many years ago, but since you are coming from California it will probably not bother you so much.
drover

I start with Boise and check it out for myself.
Posted By: drover Re: gun selling remorse - 08/09/18
Yep. Just letting you know that it may be more like what you are trying to get away from then you are anticipating it to be,

drover
Posted By: Muttly Re: gun selling remorse - 08/09/18
Reckon it may have something to do with my past experience as a filthy whore, seem to have a bad habit of horse trading, selling, and otherwise dispensing of guns dependant on want, need, or whim.
The only regret that seems to stick with me is for selling a translucent green ESP Vintage Plus to make it through some hard times years back. That particular guitar damn near played itself, seemed to have an affinity for Stevie Ray, even when in the hands of a half tone deaf stumble bum like me.
Last seen in Anchorage, tried tracking it down a few times..
Would quickly trade off yet another gun if I ran across it or one it,s brothers again..
Posted By: buttstock Re: gun selling remorse - 08/09/18
It’s just “stuff.”

As my nephew often states: “That’s a first world problem.”

Move on.
Posted By: Smokecheck Re: gun selling remorse - 08/10/18
I traded a rem 700 mountain 260. About 3 years ago and regretted it ever since.

Luckily, I was on armslist last week and found an identical rifle. It turned out to be the same rifle and same guy I traded it to. Now it's back in the safe with a good lesson learned...
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: gun selling remorse - 08/10/18
Originally Posted by peeshooter
Remorse always passes. Buy something nicer.

Kept trading up until I reached two custom Borden rifles and two Sako 85 Finnlights. Took me until I was 50 to get there.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: gun selling remorse - 08/10/18
Originally Posted by Smokecheck
I traded a rem 700 mountain 260. About 3 years ago and regretted it ever since.

Luckily, I was on armslist last week and found an identical rifle. It turned out to be the same rifle and same guy I traded it to. Now it's back in the safe with a good lesson learned...

Wow ..... That's cool.
Posted By: mooshoo Re: gun selling remorse - 08/10/18
where do i begin to tell a story of a love....
Posted By: Fastback65 Re: gun selling remorse - 08/10/18
I sold a Mauser action 7x57 rifle to my boss once needing cash to buy a model 29 Smith 44 mag in display box another co worker was selling.
Regretted it as i found out the gun smith who built it was from RIO Dell ca. Mr. Pierce who was known for his Mauser's. He was a really good gun smith back in the day.

But what really got my goat was i sold it at a good price to get cash quick and to help out my boss who was looking for a deer rifle.

We were going to shoot it about a month after i sold it to him when he said my brother said you got me on this rifle you can buy a old Mauser for around 100 bucks at big 5.

I told him i wanted the rifle back right now pulling in to a atm I sold it to him for 300 bucks with a nice scope. He said nope i am keeping it as i can always say you screwed me.
I regretted ever selling him that dam rifle a full stock good shooting Mauser.

I came to work the next day still mad as hell threw the receipt for the scope that i paid over 400 bucks for some 6 months earlier. He still has the rifle as far as i know I would love to buy it back as he does not have a clue between a Military mauser and one that has been custom made sorry for rant still pissed years later.
Posted By: hanco Re: gun selling remorse - 08/12/18
Buy another gun, it helps get over the hurt!
Posted By: SlimBlundt Re: gun selling remorse - 08/12/18
The cure to what ails you is BARRETT FIELDCRAFT. You’re welcome.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: gun selling remorse - 08/16/18
I've sold some that I would like to have back, but I doubt I'd be willing to pay what they are worth to get them...
Posted By: DollarShort Re: gun selling remorse - 08/16/18
I’ve had gun buyers remorse once or twice. Feel like I gotta replace it with something better before I sell though, or then I might get the sellers remorse.
Posted By: Rugerfan4374 Re: gun selling remorse - 08/16/18
I sold them all once, kind of had to needed the money, but I hated it. There are several that I wish I still had as they are no longer in production and now they cost about 2 to 3 times what I originally had paid for them, or they just aren't available anymore. There are others that I don't miss so much, as they didn't really impress me that much, or didn't interest me all that much, and some of those have been replaced by better quality of rifles or better shooting rifles.

IF i think about selling now, I have to go buy something first, then really think about selling the gun afterwards.
Posted By: jwall Re: gun selling remorse - 08/16/18
I’ve had seller’s remorse several Xs but most of them didn’t last a long time.
I normall sell/trade in order to move UP or get one I ‘think’ I’ll like better.

However by moving UP, overall I’m happy w/what I have. Thankfully.

2 I really wish I had KEPT

A S&W 19 4” Blue-Walnut. SURE miss it.

A S&W 1500 (Howa), 30-06 ! ! GORGOUS Walnut & being 06 was lighter than some other SW.
Part of the reason I sold it was I was AFRAID of dinging up the stock. Today I’d not worry about that the way I hunt now.

Yes, some CANNOT be replaced. Know what you are doing BEFOREHAND !!

Jerry
Posted By: Ruger77Shooter Re: gun selling remorse - 08/17/18
Over the years I have had to sell a few rifles that I hated to see go. Over the last 3-4 years, I have been able to replace a couple of them...one of them a Win M100 in 284 Win. And yesterday, I was able to pick up a 77RL in 270 Win to replace that exact rifle I sold a year or 2 ago to fund a 77R in 250 Sav, which I would do again in a heartbeat. Best part about this purchase was, I gave about $150 less for this RL than I got for the one I sold...plus it has a decent scope on it. Years ago I sold a Rem 700 Classic I bought new in a Roberts. A few years ago I was able to buy another Roberts, but this one is a tang safety 77.

Moral of the story is...I have been blessed. Selling a beloved rifle can be hard to do and might sting for a while, but we never know what is just around the corner in life.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: gun selling remorse - 08/17/18
I once sold an FN M98 in 300H&H that should have stayed here.
Posted By: jwall Re: gun selling remorse - 08/17/18
Cub --

You Big Dummy ! shocked

I never did anything like that. smirk

Jerry
Posted By: SuperCub Re: gun selling remorse - 08/17/18
Originally Posted by jwall
Cub --

You Big Dummy ! shocked

Yup ......... Big Dummy sums it up well. frown
Posted By: moosemike Re: gun selling remorse - 08/18/18
[Linked Image]

I miss this .308 Norma Magnum. It was a shooter too. No idea why I sold it.
Posted By: jwall Re: gun selling remorse - 08/18/18
Cub --

You Big Dummy ! shocked

Cub - don’t miss my sarcasm !
You ain’t the only one.

Jerry
Posted By: 240NMC Re: gun selling remorse - 08/18/18
I sold a Colt AR15, no big deal but this one was serial number 213 built in 1962. Wish I’d kept it.

Sold a Wheatherby 257 mag, early rifle serial number 2700 built on a Mauser action. Remember a collector telling me it was a first year rifle. Got over that, still wish I’d kept the AR.
Posted By: 308ld Re: gun selling remorse - 08/18/18
Originally Posted by Teeder
Why did you sell it?

somebody offered to buy it with scope , bipod for a good price and said yes. at least I know she is in a good hand.

I don't think that helps..... cry
Posted By: SuperCub Re: gun selling remorse - 08/18/18
Cub --

You Big Dummy ! shocked

Cub - don’t miss my sarcasm !
You ain’t the only one.

Jerry

Nope, didn't miss that. Gun loonies are a strange lot. smile
Posted By: d500lnn Re: gun selling remorse - 08/18/18
I’ve had buyers and sellers remorse....more often sellers remorse
Posted By: mtcurman Re: gun selling remorse - 08/19/18
The only logical reason to sell a gun is to buy another gun. The only gun I have ever sold was an original ‘92 in 25-20, doubled my money and bought a 700 MTN Rifle, scope, rings, powder and brass. The 92 I sold to a good friend and I can go shoot it with him basically whenever I want.
Posted By: kjohn Re: gun selling remorse - 08/20/18
In about 1957, my Dad traded his BSA sportered M1917 30-06 in to the local hardware for a TV. I was only 9, but I was disappointed. 50 years later, in 2007, I was able to buy that rifle back. I gave it to my sister's grandson. I made it really clear to him that the rifle was to never leave the family again. His Dad was there when I presented the rifle to him. They both knew the story.
Posted By: Slope77 Re: gun selling remorse - 08/20/18
I had a Winchester 9422 Magnum once upon a time that I sold when money was tight. I don’t regret selling it, but I sure regret selling it as cheap as I did!

No second thoughts about the Mossberg 835. Mixed feelings on the Ruger MKII. I much prefer my Buckmark, but my wife bought me the Ruger and I probably should have kept it.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: gun selling remorse - 08/20/18
Originally Posted by 240NMC
I sold a Colt AR15, no big deal but this one was serial number 213 built in 1962. Wish I’d kept it.

Sold a Wheatherby 257 mag, early rifle serial number 2700 built on a Mauser action. Remember a collector telling me it was a first year rifle. Got over that, still wish I’d kept the AR.

I know the feeling. I sold my 3-digit Colt AR-15 30 years ago. Never felt much remorse at the time, but that set in as the value of them skyrocketed since then. Ya think it's worth more now than the $300 I got for it?!

A couple others I was remorseful about were a few I sold when scraping together a house down payment, notably among them was a M1952 Mannlicher-Schoenauer .257 Roberts, 5-digit M1 Garand, and a couple minty M54 Winchesters. I've gotten over it though, having replaced them with other treasures (except the 5-digit numbered Garand- don't much care either way now).
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: gun selling remorse - 08/20/18
It can go the other way...when I was less than 12 yo, my Dad traded a Higgins M30 22 rifle by High Standard. He wanted to help a struggling minister and his family but promised me a 22 when I turned 12. He did but it was never the sleek Higgins with retractable sling that I longed to get hold of when a bit older. I credit that with my almost insatiable appetite for rifles and and all things rifle ever since. Though disappointed at the time, I've done ok without the High Standard. : )
Posted By: Yondering Re: gun selling remorse - 08/20/18
Originally Posted by mtcurman
The only logical reason to sell a gun is to buy another gun.

While I don't agree with the guys who say " never sell a gun", I fully agree with this comment. I've sold at least 200 guns, all of them were sold to buy another one, and I've ended up with some far better guns than if I hung onto everything I bought. I've also learned a lot about which guns or features I don't like by doing that. Out of all of those, I've really only regretted selling 3 of them, so that's a pretty good percentage IMO.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: gun selling remorse - 08/21/18
I sold a nice high condition Parker DH 16 on an O (20ga) frame a year ago. The dealer still has it but wants $2K more for it. I offered to buy it back for a modest profit but was refused. I have replaced it with something much nicer
Posted By: RMiller2 Re: gun selling remorse - 02/17/19
I used to buy and sell guns all the time, it never mattered to me a bit.

Now when I want to make room in the safes I give them to my sons or my brothers.
Posted By: Hudge Re: gun selling remorse - 02/18/19
I've sold a few guns over the last 15 years or so, but I really only regret selling one to this day. A Ruger 77MKII .257 Rob. That thing would shoot 117gr. Nosler Partitions pretty darn good. I have sold others I regretted temporarily, but I got over it quickly. Of all the ones I sold, that .257 Rob. is the only one I'd buy back to this date.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: gun selling remorse - 02/18/19
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I sold a mossberg 835 shotgun once. I ran away from that transaction and have considered the meager exchange I got for it extraordinary!

Did the SAME EXACT THING one time !!!!

I'm nearly certain "Mossberg remorse" is a genuine Googlewhack.
Posted By: fredIII Re: gun selling remorse - 02/18/19
Ya is the pits
Posted By: hanco Re: gun selling remorse - 02/18/19
Guns are like girls, plenty out there.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: gun selling remorse - 02/18/19
Originally Posted by hanco
Guns are like girls, plenty out there.

True, but it must be said that some really are tighter than others.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: gun selling remorse - 02/18/19
I sold my stainless Ruger m77 mkii 7-08, boat paddle for $800! Did it 7-8 years ago. At the time, I had no idea how rare that rifle in that chambering was. Still hurts! 🤮
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: gun selling remorse - 02/18/19
One of two that I regret selling resurfaced online a few months ago. Would not mind picking it up again. However, in the process of thinning the herd, not sure what else to part ways with to make room. Seller has it over priced versus "comparables". So, just gonna sit back and keep an eye on it to see if the price comes down.
Posted By: Youper Re: gun selling remorse - 02/18/19
There are only three I regret selling. The first was an unaltered Argentine Mauser in 7.65 in very good condition. I sold it at a time when I didn't know how easy it would have been to make 7.65 cases from .30-'06.

The second was a S&W model 10 with a thin 5" barrel and nickel finish. That was a distress sale, and maybe some day I get another.

The third was a Savage 99E in very good condition. It was from the first year of post-mil production, and had an unusual 24" barrel. Plain, but a nice rifle. The co-worker I sold it to was pretty clueless, and didn't like the light colored wood. He stripped and stained the wood darker. If I had thought he would bubba that rifle I wouldn't have sold it to him.
Posted By: Slope77 Re: gun selling remorse - 02/18/19
I think I’ve sold four or five, and a couple of those I owned for only a very short time.

The only one I regret selling is a Ruger MkII 22 pistol. I already had a Buckmark that I liked a lot, but wanted a Ruger as well. My wife bought me a stainless 5.5” bull barrel MkII as a gift. Thing is, she and I both liked shooting the Buck Mark better, so I sold the Ruger and bought another Browning. I don’t miss the pistol, but shouldn’t have done that because my wife bought it for me. Think it kinda hurt her feelings. Anyway, I still don’t like the new Browning as well as the old one.
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: gun selling remorse - 02/18/19
Recently sold a great Rem Custom KS stainless 270 here, and wish I had not done that. It was necessary at the time. Someday I’ll get it or another just like it back, hopefully.
Posted By: 240NMC Re: gun selling remorse - 02/19/19
I sold a very early Colt AR-15, serial number 213... in 2008 for $2,500 which was good money then. Wish I would have kept it.
Also sold a very early factory Weatherby 257 Weatherby mag serial number 2700 built on a Mauser action for $750 in 1989.

If you have them, PM me....
Posted By: Roystu Re: gun selling remorse - 02/19/19
I had a Smith Mod 57 that was mis stamped 44 Mag. Sold that a long time ago and still regret it.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: gun selling remorse - 02/19/19
I'm toying with the idea of selling one right now. Very nice, and rare, but the money in it (all of which I expect to get back) can be put to good use elsewhere, and it doesn't get out much. Still dithering.

Like the girls, they can't always exactly be replaced, but sometimes you can improve on 'em, or get one that does new stuff, or the old stuff better.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: gun selling remorse - 02/19/19
due to physical deterioration i have sold some guns i can't shoot. sold my 45-70's including the trapdoor i have had for 55 years. talk about a funk! first time in 55 years i don't have a 45-70 in my battery. almost pulled the trigger on a traditions g2 yesterday. just may today.
Posted By: persiandog Re: gun selling remorse - 02/19/19
Originally Posted by deerstalker
due to physical deterioration i have sold some guns i can't shoot. sold my 45-70's including the trapdoor i have had for 55 years. talk about a funk! first time in 55 years i don't have a 45-70 in my battery. almost pulled the trigger on a traditions g2 yesterday. just may today.

don't , if you can't shoot with your right hand , switch with left. there is always a solution for any problem,
Posted By: 348srfun Re: gun selling remorse - 02/19/19

Sometimes you get a second chance. I just got back one of my favorites and don't intend to make the same mistake again.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big Stick Re: gun selling remorse - 02/19/19
I've given some away,that I prolly shouldn't have...but always ask that they get a chance to return to The Promised Land,should thangs change.

Series 70 1911's,some Auto-5's,various High Standard auto's, and more than a few Custom Rifles.

Basically...Blued Walnut Dog Schit................(grin)
© 24hourcampfire