Home
Posted By: Landrum Ruger Guide Gun 338 Win Mag - 08/24/18
I know that I'm a little late to the party. After all, this rifle has been out for years but I was never that interested until now.

I've been shooting a 340 Weatherby MKV for twenty years and I would like something in that class but in a more compact package.

Do any of you guys have one of The Ruger Guide Guns and if so, what are your thoughts on the rifle? How are the stock spacers. They're ugly as hell but are they well made? How about the 20" barrel. Does the gun balance well in your opinion?

Anything you would like to add would be appreciated.
You'd be far better off with a 243 you can shoot accurately. That's what they tell me anyhow. laugh
I've never had an issue with shooting accurately so I won't worry about that. Besides, I am in the process of procuring a 6mm Creedmoor. Still, I want something to replace....perhaps, compliment, my 340 Weatherby. I need a shorter rifle for the jungle that I am hunting in these days. That 338 Win. Mag. Ruger Guide Gun is tempting.
Go for it. I have a Ruger MKII .338WM with a 22" barrel and love it. Mine has Ruger's skeletonized "boatpaddle" stock, so it is lighter than the Guide Gun with the laminate stock. If buying the Guide Gun, I would consider getting a Hawkeye synthetic stock for it. With the brake recoil shouldn't be a problem.
I would like to find an old Sako that is in good shape but those come by chance. The Ruger Guide Gun is out there and in stock at various outlets. They seem a little high for what they are but everything has gone up in price these last 10 or so years.
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Ruger Guide Gun 338 Win Mag - 08/24/18

Landrum,

I'll just offer this for your consideration, feel free to do with it according to your tastes and preferences.

In keeping with your 338" theme, Ruger made a "Guide Gun" before they produced THE Guide Gun, it was called the Ruger Compact Magnum. And, it came in a .338" chambering called the 338 Ruger Compact Magnum/338 RCM. The performance is on par with the 338-06, and this from a 20" barrel complete with open sights.

I own one of these, and absolutely love it.
I have a 338 WM in the Guide Gun. I bought it 2 years ago to hunt in Alaska. The rifle is not pleasant to look at; but has ergonomics like adjustable length of pull. Of the 338's that I own, the guide gun is the most accurate with factory ammunition. At normal game ranges I see no loss in performance from the shorter barrel. On one other note the rifle is built like a tank, and has taken field abuse well under all weather conditions.
I have the guide gun in 375 ruger. Love everything about it except that it gets just a tad heavy for my backpack style of hunting. But, that's a small price to pay for the performance of the package. It meets Ruger's reputation for ruggedness and 'just try to break me' reliability. I do see this rifle best matched with the 375 and 416 calibers use though. That is to say, if the rifle's characteristics of a short barrel and overall length and express sights meet your fancy, then the 375/416 should be better than the 338 for your use. Especially since the 375 shoots just about as flat as a 338 wm out of a 20" barrel.
Posted By: memtb Re: Ruger Guide Gun 338 Win Mag - 08/25/18
It’s hard to beat the .338 WM, for an all around cartridge. But, if you prefer lighter.... go with the .375 or the .416. The “bigger hole in the barrel....will make it lighter! 🤪 memtb
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Ruger Guide Gun 338 Win Mag - 08/26/18
Originally Posted by Anchor1
I have a 338 WM in the Guide Gun. I bought it 2 years ago to hunt in Alaska. The rifle is not pleasant to look at; but has ergonomics like adjustable length of pull. Of the 338's that I own, the guide gun is the most accurate with factory ammunition. At normal game ranges I see no loss in performance from the shorter barrel. On one other note the rifle is built like a tank, and has taken field abuse well under all weather conditions.

Anchor1
Welcome to the campfire. Hope you have a great time here.
Jim
© 24hourcampfire