Home
Posted By: Beaudry Forbes 24b Accuracy? - 09/07/18
My local gun shop has a Forbes 24b in a caliber that I like for a good price. I have done some reading about these and the reviews are kinda hit and miss. Any real world information that you would be willing to share with me on this rifle? I love the way that it feels and handles but if the accuracy is crap I will pass.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Forbes 24b Accuracy? - 09/07/18
from what i have heard you are right accuracy can be hit or miss....but if you like the platform and are willing to take the next step you can send it to Melvin Forbes at new ultralight arms and he will re work the rifle if you want ....Melvin will put a new barrel on it , re bed the rifle ,adjust the length of pull if needed and re paint the stock and re blue the action for around $800.00 dollars and you will have basically a NULA rifle at that point...just food for thought
Posted By: Razorhog Re: Forbes 24b Accuracy? - 09/07/18
I've got one in 270 that will flat out shoot!
Posted By: old_willys Re: Forbes 24b Accuracy? - 09/08/18
Originally Posted by Beaudry
My local gun shop has a Forbes 24b in a caliber that I like for a good price. I have done some reading about these and the reviews are kinda hit and miss. Any real world information that you would be willing to share with me on this rifle? I love the way that it feels and handles but if the accuracy is crap I will pass.

Whats is a "good price"?

I have a 24B 30-06 that was one of the early ones that took 18 months to get and it has been very accurate.
Posted By: Beaudry Re: Forbes 24b Accuracy? - 09/08/18
They are asking $800 but I feel I could do a little better. It comes with Talley’s and hard case. The rifle looks new. I figure if nothing else the stock and action are good to go.
Posted By: SKane Re: Forbes 24b Accuracy? - 09/08/18
Beaudry, if it's a chambering your interested in, the price is worth rolling the dice.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Forbes 24b Accuracy? - 09/08/18
The early non fluted guns were likely the most accurate. I have one of the first dozen 270's and it is a 1/2 moa shooter.
Posted By: mistem Re: Forbes 24b Accuracy? - 09/08/18

Originally Posted by Razorhog
I've got one in 270 that will flat out shoot!

This rifle quickly becoming my favorite.... it’s not picky on ammo either
Posted By: Kaiser Norton Re: Forbes 24b Accuracy? - 09/09/18
Originally Posted by Beaudry

I have one of the later 20b units with the fluted bolt. Chambered in 260 Remington. I paid through the nose for it, at the Fargo Scheels. It is quite accurate - probably more so than I am capable of utilizing. I did have to tweak the follower spring a bit to get it to feed reliably. My only issue with this rifle is the fact that I tend to forget the methods necessary to shoot a ultralight rifle accurately - something to be aware of and take into consideration. When I do remember, it shoots so well I wonder why I bother to own other rifles.

At the price you are looking at, I'm sure you'd have no trouble getting your money back out of it should it not perform to your expectations.

Kaiser Norton
© 24hourcampfire