Home
We’ve all seen the threads over the years about the 1,3,and 5 hunting rifle battery, talks about liquidating and building or keeping the good ones. I wonder, does anyone actually do this or is it just fun to think about it? Reason I ask is the last couple of years I have thinned down to very few rifles and shotguns, and while I still haven’t gotten the “battery” to exactly where I want it, I’m very close. Just wondering if anyone else has actually done the same and what rifles/chmaberings made the cut.

Right now I’m down to a pair of cz452s in 22LR and 22 WMR, a pair of light weight 20gauges ( one auto, and one O/U), a 700 in 30-06, a 700 in 375 h&h, and am working to bridge the gap between the 22WMR and the 30-06 right now. After that I’m pretty well set. That’s not to say I won’t buy more, I’m sure I will, but as far as a “battery” goes, it would be complete.
12 gauge pump, 22, 223, 243, 308, 6.5x55
If I ever decided to do it ... all I’d need is my 22 hornet and my 30/06. The rest are simply just for pleasure of owning.
Closing in on it. Down to one LH shotgun and one LH rimfire. Last two LH SS rifles will be a .270 Win, and a .375H&H. A couple wood/blue projects in flight. As stated in other threads, I could hunt everything I really want to hunt with just a 12 ga, 22LR, and .270.

Sold / gifted more than half in the past two years. Apart from the ones mentioned above, everything else is just for fun, and to tinker with. Considering another round of "gifting" to the grand kids rather than sell for the current depressed (and depressing) prices.
I am down to two Montanas, a 9T 223 that spins the 75 A-Max and a quick twisted 243AI. Then lightweight custom M70s in 280 and 9.3X62.

I don't need more rifles, just components and barrels. grin
I collect get bored move to other cartridges. But I never sell rifles or tools. If I had to pick 3 since no Africa is in the cards it be. 25-06 300 Winchester and 7mm STW. The STW is a absolute wicked round
We’ve got lots of stuff... but only use one rifle for big game, one shotgun for birds, and one 22 RF for small game. Handguns are much more “purposed”! The other assorted stuff, is just used for fun....and will likely be handed down! memtb
KY

I COULD pare down to —
Ruger 10-22

Rem Mod Six, 6mm Rem

Tikka T3 Lite 7 R M

Rem 870, 12 ga

After I’m DEAD !! whistle

I am down to 22lr, 22 Hornet, 7x64 Brenneke.
As far as long guns go, it depends on where and what you may want to hunt. IMHO to cover anything in North America I would suggest:
1) a good .22 rifle
2) a 12 ga. pump shotgun with multiple choke tubes and a second rifled slug barrel
3) an AR-15 in .223
4) a good .30-06 rifle
5) a .375 Ruger or .375 H&H rifle

If you never plan on going after moose or big bears, you could eliminate the .375. If the biggest thing you ever go after are deer, you could substitute the .30-06 for a 7mm-08. Yeah, I know some hunt elk with 7mm-08, but I want a little bigger gun, just my preference. With the above "battery" one would be well armed for anything on this continent or the planet, for that matter.
It seems I am continually trying to whittle down my long gun battery to just what I really NEED but as soon as I sell few guns off I find another gun that "I got to have" 😁, I know all I really NEED to hunt the game I go after is :
1. 22lr
2. .300 Win
3. 12ga
But that is easier said than done and in my mind would be mighty boring with all the outstanding rifles and shotguns we are blessed to choose from.......Hb
If having to reduce the arsenal to only what I need, it would be:
1) 22lr
2) .223 (CZ 527 varmint)
3) 30-06
4) 12ga pump

All the rest are "wants" and not "needs"
And I'm not done yet with the "wants"....
410,20,12,gauge shotguns.22lr.,22mag,22 hornet,223,264 win mag,30-30-32 special,300 win mag.rifles.22 lr,22 mag,25 cal,9mm,45 cal.pistols .
Its like losing a lot of weight. Many talk about and make half hearted or short term efforts and success but only a few get to their goal and then keep the weight off.
Nope, not here. Stuff comes and goes via whim, lust, and occasionally perceived need, never according to any sort of plan. The good stuff stays.
It's a great idea and I admire those of you that do it but my "battery" has turned into an ever expanding arsenal. IF I had to pare down to 5, I'd keep my 12 ga, 22, 22-250, 270, and 338 wm
I cleaned out everything I didn't use a couple years ago...danged if some of it(or similar) didn't seem to wander back.

Most of us WOULD be just fine with a .22lr, a good versatile centerfire(insert your choice and ague about it here!!! laugh ) and a 20 or 12 gauge shotgun. Probably won't ever thin it down that much, but we could.
That was part of the idea of why I built the AR-15 .450 Bushmaster. It should kill anything in north America out to #300yds+ ,and by
Swapping uppers to a long range caliber like the 5.56 to gain range. Though I have several shotguns, i could stick with the 500 with interchangeable barrels, for shot. Slug or sabot, and small game with the Glenfield model 60 .22lr.
There are many guns I would like to have, but this would keep the bases covered. (As far as long guns go)
If I got right down to it the 375H&H is all that is needed. Works on anything on the planet.
Originally Posted by Ky221
I wonder, does anyone actually do this

No. Unless you consider a couple of 308's and a 22lr a "battery."
I did.

If I had your pile, I'd put a 223, 243 or 6.5 CM between the 22WMR and 30-06.

Right now I'm at 22LR, 223, 243, 270, all factory ammo and no need for nothing as rifles go. Auto and O/U 12's. I do get a hankering for a 20" 6.5CM and 6xSWFA MQ. Don't need it one bit, but with the ammo that's available it's hard to unring a bell.

Might treat to one myself one day. Prices have gotten so soft that it doesn't help the equation either.
Something like this, but blind mag.

[Linked Image]
I got by for over 30 years with a Mossberg 142a bolt action 22 L.R., a Savage 99 in 308, and an Ithaca 37 pump shotgun in 20 gauge. I could go back to just those but I really would not want to be without a 223 bolt gun.

I am in process of whittling back on firearms at this time and I am down to a couple of bolt actions in 22 L.R, three bolt actions in 223, a bolt action 22/250, and a bolt action 243. For what I hunt that more than fills the hunting rifle battery for me. I do intend to get down to one of each within the next couple of years so my battery will be -

1 ea - bolt action 22 LR
1 ea - bolt action 223
1 ea - bolt action 243

Those three will take care of gophers, PDs, coyotes, wolves, deer and elk.

No shotgun since I don't bird hunt any longer.

drover
Quote:
If I got right down to it the 375H&H is all that is needed. Works on anything on the planet.

Yes! Exactly..... though I prefer an AI version, flattens trajectory for longish shots. Light load cast bullets for small game, and premium bullets for everything else! However, it’s not great for dove hunting! memtb
Ideally:

22 mag
270 win
300 win
16 gauge
I had a 3 rifle battery for several years, a 22, 22-250, & 30-06 & know to this day that they were all I could possibly need.

Then I started hunting out or state, different game, terrain, etc. & thought I needed more. That, & the fact I could afford more. A rifle for heavy cover could be handy. It could maybe serve as a truck gun. Or, a dedicated truck gun might be better? Rocky Mountain Elk hunts gave me a strong desire for a backup Elk rifle, that got added. Saving every day vacation you're allowed from Jan. - Oct., then driving 30 hours to start the hunt is no time to have equipment spoil the whole thing.

Yada yada yada. They add up, then the add ups start adding up, but my first sentence still stands. I like 'em all but I sometimes envy pragmatist & minimalist. I've made list for years on the guns really needed & what the cash from the rest could get me. Ha! probably more guns!

A 15-20 year old list I have is called "The 6" The six guns, total,(R,P,SG) that will do it all. Throw them in a camper & head out to parts unknown. I believe in the list strongly enough that I can't throw anything out when & feel the need to add serious self defense stuff due to the increased violence & turmoil across the country. The list can quickly turn into "The 7" or "The 8". But surely 8 total should cover it.????
I've been paring down for the last five years. Down from somewhere close to forty. For a long time I had a set of Ruger 77 RS 's that spanned 22LR to 416 Taylor, and just about every niche inbetween. Except for a few old family guns that I'm now dividing among other family members, I'm down to a 22LR, 22 250, 257 Roberts, 30 06, and a muzzleloader, all Ruger 77's and a 9.3x74R double. Double will probably be next to leave. Then the next ones up are my German guns, drillings and o/u's, and my few remaining handguns.
I'm crying as I box them up, but truthfully I didn't need them. In fact, I probably could get by just fine with a 22, a muzzleloade and my one drillings, and that might be where I wind up. I don't expect to be able to go on any dream hunts, anymore, and there is not much use for rifles or handguns in SE Virginia, so it's a lot less of a big deal than when I lived in PA.
I've settled too many estates and see little old ladies cheated time after time. I don't want my wife to go through that.
Bfly
Originally Posted by Brad

Originally Posted by Brad

One a day Brad I'm gonna talk you into a long action long barreled STW.
I can’t make it with only a few rifles, it hurts to think of only having a few.
I am not paring down... Have lots of .22's, center fire 22's up though the .375 and .45-70.. For years my three main centerfires were .22-250, .25-06 and .300 WM.. I could live with those, but don't want to have just a few calibers..
Who cares!

I buy one, might sell one, who cares?
At this stage of my life if I were to somehow lose everything in a house fire or some other disaster and I were forced to start over from scratch I could put together minimalistic battery where I'd hand pick just a few rifles, shotguns and handguns. But as is I've acquired several guns that I like. And while not "perfect" are close enough. I'm not selling them in order to replace them with something slightly better. But over the last 10-15 years I have thinned out several that no longer get used.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I am down to 22lr, 22 Hornet, 7x64 Brenneke.

Other than the addition of a 12 gauge, I could be happy with that setup as well!
Originally Posted by ttpoz
It's a great idea and I admire those of you that do it but my "battery" has turned into an ever expanding arsenal. IF I had to pare down to 5, I'd keep my 12 ga, 22, 22-250, 270, and 338 wm

I agree, no cutting down for me.
For me, the package the cartridge is in matters too. I like the savage action and I like the 700 and the Mauser as well. Also have a vanguard I like since my first rifle was a vanguard.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Nope, not here. Stuff comes and goes via whim, lust, and occasionally perceived need, never according to any sort of plan. The good stuff stays.

I'm with you, Pappy.

donsm70
None of my rifles have batteries.
I have too many centerfire rifles from 204 Ruger to 30-06, but I have gotten rid of everything that ends in MAGNUM.

donsm70
We all have batteries, just some are bigger than others..
I am not going to pare anything down right now. But if I was going to.

Bolt action 22 LR
8 twist 22-250
338-06
375 H&H
.257 Roberts, .30-06 and .35 Whelen, recently added the '06 and could really get by with just the Roberts and the Whelen.
My hunting battery grows a little almost every year.

Passed the point of "no need for more" years ago, but need has little to do with it. Have to admit, though, that four in .30-06 might be regarded by some as a bit ridiculous.
22LR bolt
223 bolt or AR
308 bolt
12 ga 870
S&W mod 17 for fun.
I did it.

Sold off everything - down to a .22LR, a .223, a custom M12 12ga and my main hunting rifle, a custom G33/40 .30/06.

Allen Day said it best, "the rifle preoccupation is innate resource draining dead end".
Well, there's "hunting battery", "target battery", "amusement battery" and more....
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
.. Have to admit, though, that four in .30-06 might be regarded by some as a bit ridiculous.

I "think" I only have two, but I'd have to look.

OTOH, would anyone view three .375 H&Hs as a little excessive? I like them all. grin

Norm
I'll sell stuff just before I die to save my heirs the trouble. Otherwise, something has to be a real dog before it goes down the road.
Originally Posted by Blackfly1
I've been paring down for the last five years. Down from somewhere close to forty. ...
I've settled too many estates and see little old ladies cheated time after time. I don't want my wife to go through that.
Bfly

Blackfly, I've thought about that often since I've done trusts and estates work myself.

I try to keep my family educated as to relative worths of guns, especially since my wife is from Japan and has no appreciation for guns at all. (My kids may help, though.)

As a result, I keep a running list of all my guns, dates, details, etc. and a separate list of accessories such as dies and ammo, with original prices and some comments about current values. It really adds up over time.

I guess that I should add some thoughts on how to liquidate them all, since a few have acquired real value and should be let go very carefully.

Norm
Originally Posted by p3t3rsn
I did it.

Sold off everything - down to a .22LR, a .223, a custom M12 12ga and my main hunting rifle, and a custom G33/40 .30/06.

Allen Day said it best, "the rifle preoccupation is innate resource draining dead end".

Simply put, epic skullphuck.
22 rifles shouldn't even be included in this.

Multiples of these is like having multiple women if you could get buy with it or afford it.

mjbgalt said; "the package the cartridge is in matters too" Bingo!

Can't argue a 30-06. And although they can be handy, would really want your only 06 to be housed in a handy rifle?
I don't have one, but have felt that no mater how many rifles I had, a controlled feed 06 should be the corner stone.
My bare bones list don't just consider caliber, it's also very strong on platform, which is probably more important than head stamp.
No planned "battery" here. Just guns I needed, wanted, bought cheap.

Truth, I could keep my Beretta 390 12 guage. 2-3 handguns.

Rifles?

Sell it all. Except maybe put the T3 7 mag in a good stock,
and find a good 22. (Have several, but like all rifles, all have something I don't like)

PS. Need to keep an AR also.

PPS. Need a smaller centerfire, also.

PPPS. Need something for the girls to hunt with...
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

1. 22lr
2. .300 Win
3. 12ga

Hillbilly, I could live with that line up as well but I inserted a 6mm Rem for vermin + as a backup.

Also I REALLY really like the 300 WM - have one, BUT for MY needs my list is;

[quote=jwall]
Ruger 10-22

Rem Mod Six, 6mm Rem

Tikka T3 Lite 7 R M

Rem 870, 12 ga
[quote]

Since this thread says Hunting Rifle Battery -- we could ADD another rifle INSTEAD of shotgun.
Your right J, the thread does say hunting rifle battery so i would take out the 12ga and insert a .223 (probly in a Kimber Montana) but it would see very little use, I would likely be better off with a .22lr and two .300 Win Mags....Hb
Everyone needs a bunch of Sakos.
I could probably trim down to a hundred or so....
I could easily live with this:

.22LR
.223 or .22-250
7mm RM or .300WM
12 ga.

Not that that would be much fun.
No battery but I am slowly liquidating centerfire rifles.
I now have two hunting rifles and a couple I keep for sentimental reasons. The rest live elsewhere. Should have adopted this plan much earlier than I did. Buying and buying means your funds go bye-bye.

Folks who accumulate a lot of money buy what they need and stop. There is a certain amount of discipline involved in restraining oneself.

I prefer having money in the bank. That allows me to use what I own.
Oh, guys, shoutguns aren’t “hunting rifles.”

I mean shotguns.
Battery? Nah....just a small collection. I could get by with a 22 Mag and a 243, but I like having a couple of options. 22’s a backup for the 22 Mag. 22 Mags a backup for the 22 and the 223. 223 is a backup for the 22 Mag, 243, and 30-30. 243 is a backup for the 223 and the 30-30. And the 30-30 is a backup for everything.
I don’t plan on adding to the collection. But I’m not opposed to an upgrade here and there. Need to move out a few scopes and some ammo that don’t fit anything though.
My older BinL had embarked on a major cleanout in the last year or two, shipping 2 gunsafes full to one of his sons & designating 15-20 more shooters to a 16 year old grandson, only keeping a couple favorites at home and a new collection of too purty to use artwork quality wallhangers the older and sicker he got. He passed away suddenly last month and my SinL is still finding new toys he'd not told her about. After seeing that experience up close and very personally over the last couple weeks has made an impact in reality on me and having several of my own next younger generation Hunting Pards already diagnosed as less than long term, I've already started to thin the herd to not put my wife of 51 years thru the task and have no idea what shooter goes where and who to trust to sell off the leftovers...but I am afflicted with the same need a New Gun Syndrome & gonna live forever as the BinL was.....just about like Imelda Marcos had a new pair of shoes every day habit.

I am determined to take care of my business before it's my time, but a heart attack can happen anywhere at any time as the BinL discovered. So, I can make do with 2 mebbe 3 rifles, a house gun pistol and a single shot shotgun loaded with "burglar cure" ammo that she can shoot really well at door frame sized man sillhoutte targets and a younger than me trustworthy LGS already picked out and alerted. Just Sayin'
Ron
Originally Posted by RinB
There is a certain amount of discipline involved in restraining oneself.

I understand that and will not argue.

There is a diff perspective too. If I convert some rifles into $$$$ and go on trips, whether hunting or not,
THEN the rifles are gone AND the $$$$ are gone and I would have only memories left.

I have accumulated my arsenal over a LONG period of time, Slow investment. Most are worth more now than when bought. I’m $$$$ ahead.
I hunt a lot EVERY Winter, using diff rifles during each year’s season.

In so doing I’m using my rifles hunting and still have collateral.

Again I’m not arguing, there’s more than one way to skin a skunk. smile
I’ve been thinking and working on this for a while. The problem is when something shines and catches your eye.

Thinking a 22lr 308 and 300wsm or WM would cover just about everything and provide a backup to each other and overlap in components for reloading.
We’ve all seen the threads over the years about the 1,3,and 5 hunting rifle battery, talks about liquidating and building or keeping the good ones. I wonder, does anyone actually do this or is it just fun to think about it? Reason I ask is the last couple of years I have thinned down to very few rifles and shotguns, and while I still haven’t gotten the “battery” to exactly where I want it, I’m very close. Just wondering if anyone else has actually done the same and what rifles/chmaberings made the cut.

Right now I’m down to a pair of cz452s in 22LR and 22 WMR, a pair of light weight 20gauges ( one auto, and one O/U), a 700 in 30-06, a 700 in 375 h&h, and am working to bridge the gap between the 22WMR and the 30-06 right now. After that I’m pretty well set. That’s not to say I won’t buy more, I’m sure I will, but as far as a “battery” goes, it would be complete.

Only in my mind. Chamberings go in and out for use by me. At the moment, the .22 Mag, .243 Win and .308 Norma don't get much use but I imagine they will be back.

One rifle battery - .30-06

Three rifle battery - .22 LR, .223, .30-06,

Five rifle battery - .22 LR, .223, 6.5 CM, .30-06, .338 Win Mag,

It was really hard to leave my .375 out of the 5 rifle list but I use my .338 lots more.
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear

Only in my mind. Chamberings go in and out for use by me. At the moment, the .22 Mag, .243 Win and .308 Norma don't get much use but I imagine they will be back.

One rifle battery - .30-06

Three rifle battery - .22 LR, .223, .30-06,

Five rifle battery - .22 LR, .223, 6.5 CM, .30-06, .338 Win Mag,

It was really hard to leave my .375 out of the 5 rifle list but I use my .338 lots more.

As much as I love my .375....the .338 WM, is a better all around cartridge for North America, for most hunters! Of course, a dedicated handloader can make a .375 extremely versatile.....from small game (cast bullets), to the biggest game we have in North America, virtually mirroring the trajectories of the beloved 30-06 Springfield! memtb
Dropped off 2 yesterday to be sold on consignment

Current Situation is unbalanced

22 rifle

Tikka 30-06
Sako 75 30-06
CA mesa 6.5
Rem 700 257 bee

I think the last two are on the block after the consignment stuff sells. Kimber Montana in 300 win mag or 338 will be added
I've been putting rifles on consignment at a LGS one at a time. As they sell I put another one on the block. So far I like having fewer rifles to have to keep track of and try to shoot, but as this goes on decisions about which one will get tougher.
10/22
T3 223
AR 7.62x39
T3 30/06.
I can find ammo for these anywhere.
waiting to find the right guns to swap mine out

keep the 243 sell the 22/250, 220 swift and the 338 Winchester magnum

add a 22 LR, a 222 Remington, and a 6.5x55 Swedish

and be done!
I don't "do it" as far as a dedicated hunting rifle battery. I like to play the field but if I went to three rifles it would be a 22 LR and two very similar rifles in 30-06 or 270 or one of both so there could be backup potential. My varmint hunting is mostly coyotes and either of these centerfires can handle that the way I hunt them. I would prefer the 5 rifle battery which I would add a 5.56 semi and a 22-250 bolt rifle.
I'm all over the place here. AR .223, CZ 527 .223, Browning .22, Marlin .22, Model 70 .257 Bob, Barrett 6.5x55, Browning Abolt .270, Remington 700 CDL 7/08, Remington 700 Ti 7mm RSAUM, Browning 1885 7 Mag, STI Spartan .45 ACP, S&W M&P Shield. 45 ACP, Sig 226 .357 Sig, Smith Model 36 in .38, Remington 3200 4 barrel set, Winchester 1400 20 ga, and an old Ted Williams (Sear) 12 gauge.

I really want a .338 WM, just don't know what I'd do with it. And a 6.5 PRC.
A few facts to always remember

1. 80 years is not very long and it comes quick= Now your dead
2. After you have achieved a roof over your head, food, the rest is purely your perception of life and a willingness to be happy
3. A tent, fishing pole, hunting rifle are the three necessities a man needs.

Three rifle battery

6.5X55

I live pretty damn simple and I'm happy
I probably spend over 200 days a Year hiking, camping, fishing, hunting

Trystan
This might turn into a "if your schit gets wiped out by Florance" thread.
Originally Posted by 16bore

BITE YOUR TONGUE ! ! ! !

Now IF something happened to my collection and I were FORCED to acquire a MINIMUM.... God Forbid.....

I COULD get by with

22 RFM

7mm RM ------>> I'd pick the 7 over an 06 or even 270 for ONE big game rifle. (FOR ME)

That gives me a NIGHTMARE ! SHAME on 16. whistle

These threads are like asking a vegetarian what he would eat if he only had 3 days to live. You know he wouldn’t eat broccoli...
Originally Posted by shrapnel

These threads are like asking a vegetarian what he would eat if he only had 3 days to live. You know he wouldn’t eat broccoli...

grin
Originally Posted by 16bore

If your schit gets wiped out by Florance go buy a tent, fishing pole, rifle and never let all that schit get in your way of truly living again

Trystan
If I lost my guns through a storm or thieves or whatever, all I'd replace is the .22 LR and the 30-06. I don't even think I'd replace the shotgun since the Pheasants and the Grouse are gone and I'm always too busy to get out for Spring Gobbler.
Originally Posted by DubThomas
I'm all over the place here. AR .223, CZ 527 .223, Browning .22, Marlin .22, Model 70 .257 Bob, Barrett 6.5x55, Browning Abolt .270, Remington 700 CDL 7/08, Remington 700 Ti 7mm RSAUM, Browning 1885 7 Mag, STI Spartan .45 ACP, S&W M&P Shield. 45 ACP, Sig 226 .357 Sig, Smith Model 36 in .38, Remington 3200 4 barrel set, Winchester 1400 20 ga, and an old Ted Williams (Sear) 12 gauge.

I really want a .338 WM, just don't know what I'd do with it. And a 6.5 PRC.

Dub, Get the .338 WM...And you’ll have no need for anything else but the varmint rifles. Sell’em, and take the wife on a cruise! wink memtb
Originally Posted by RinB
I now have two hunting rifles and a couple I keep for sentimental reasons. The rest live elsewhere. Should have adopted this plan much earlier than I did. Buying and buying means your funds go bye-bye.

Folks who accumulate a lot of money buy what they need and stop. There is a certain amount of discipline involved in restraining oneself.

Rick, we have similar philosophies....though differ on calibers. I am saving all the rest as part of the kids/grandkids inheritance....kinda like cash! After my death....I won’t be able to see how the firearms are “disrespected” by the new owners! memtb
My battery is a Tikka T3 in 6.5 Swede and a 94 in 30-30. If I was going to take a back up rifle it would be my 98 actioned .280. The rest get left in the safe.
I don't see trimming down to just a few rifles. Between guns passed down from my mothers and fathers side, guns for my two young fellas, and just a few "wants", it ain't gonna happen. At least for a while.

Maybe when the kids are grown I'll be down to a couple shotguns and a couple rifles. Maybe a pistol or three.
Allen Day said it best, "the rifle preoccupation is innate resource draining dead end".[/quote]

'DUH'

I like many firearms and different kinds as well.
I'm down to basically 2, I have a Norinco JW15 .22lr for small game and a Howa Mini .223 for larger game.
I also have a Browning BL22 that came from my old man, that is mainly kept around for sentimental reasons and only pulled out for fine day hunting.

Next I'm thinking I need to add a larger round for big animals at longer range than I am confident with the .223, say a .30-06.
Mine is almost complete with only a varmint cartridge missing and undecided...

6.5x55
338WM
400 Jeffrey double
Originally Posted by Savage_99

That could be said of many preoccupations. In many cases the difference at the end is you have a bunch of rifles that are worth something - in many cases well more than they cost - and will last many years with a modicum of care.

Used beer isn't worth anything and many other used things are worth very little.

While the 7mm RM I started with and a centerfire .22 would have sufficed for all my shooting over the years, the others have provided many hours of entertainment and will be capable of doing so decades after I'm gone. Shooting doesn't involve greens fees ($30 to $225 or more in Colorado) or other fees every time I choose to partake.

I have to admit I do love golf and other non-shooting preoccupations, though - they keep people off my shooting range.

Golf can be just as bad with every new fangled driver and putter that comes along.

I reckon I have the 30-06 of putters......Ping Anser 2.

Ha!
I could...…………...but I ain't gonna. Makes for good internet reading on a rainy day. That's about it.

If'n I was to...………….say in a SHTF situation...………….

1 gun...….. 375 Wby

3 gun...….. add 22 LR and .220 Swift

5 gun...…..add 5mm Rem and .308 Win
I need at least 7....or better yet, 8 golf clubs.
To quote a famous gunwriter, I am 95% hunter 5% shooter.

As such, I don't generally have all that many rifles in the safe. Currently, my hunting battery consists of a 270 Win, a 30-06 and a 375. I have a pair of pretty collector rifles in 30-06 and 338 Win. That's it.

I do have a lot of real estate though. If you guys want to talk about investments that make money while you own them, and gain value for later, that is the ticket. You can hunt on it too, without a lot of other people involved.

Used beer isn't worth anything and many other used things are worth very little.

Oh YES, used beer is worth a good pithhh. whistle

While the 7mm RM I started with and a centerfire .22 would have sufficed for all my shooting over the years, the others have provided many hours of entertainment ........

How True ! !

In the late 70s is when I hit the greased slide of buying and trading rifles & handguns. So in the last 40 yrs. I ‘could’ have
saved KKKKs IF I’d stayed with a 7mm RM and 22 Mag.

However like most, I would have SPENT the $$$$$ on something ? ? ?
Today they are NOT worth nothing.... I have collateral and I don’t have 1 ‘gun’ that won’t sell for good money.
SO, it is NOT wasted $$$$$.

Another ? , What’s the ‘green fee’ for me to HUNT Deer/Elk in Colorado ? wink grin
Originally Posted by ChetAF
To quote a famous gunwriter, I am 95% hunter 5% shooter.

As such, I don't generally have all that many rifles in the safe. Currently, my hunting battery consists of a 270 Win, a 30-06 and a 375. I have a pair of pretty collector rifles in 30-06 and 338 Win. That's it.

I do have a lot of real estate though. If you guys want to talk about investments that make money while you own them, and gain value for later, that is the ticket. You can hunt on it too, without a lot of other people involved.
I like the way you think! I think a light/lightish middle caliber rifle wouldn't have me wanting for much. But, with two young boys they seem to get anything new that comes into the house...

Then again, one of those rifles, assuming they are the same ones you had when we met, would be every rifle in my house... wink laugh
© 24hourcampfire