Home
Posted By: jorgeI THOUGHTS ON THE 240 WEATHERBY? - 09/17/18
I have an opportunity to get a real nice one (six lug, trim action with nice wood). Anyone of you folks use or have used one?
I’ve had a couple custom 240 wby built on Rem 700 actions. Sold one in a fit of stupidity.
I found both of these guns to be very accurate, with shilen barrels.
I used 90 and 95 grain ballistic tips on 4-5 antelope, including one B&C. The cartridge performed very well on antelope.
Also shot some coyotes with 70 grain ballistic tips. The 240 weatherby is about as good as it gets for killing coyotes. However, hides get pretty trashed.
It’s not very popular, but I like it.
Sorry I can only comment on the cartridge, and not the rifle you are considering.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I have an opportunity to get a real nice one (six lug, trim action with nice wood). Anyone of you folks use or have used one?

I have a 240, not in a Wby rifle. It’s a great round. I have a 9 lug MkV but it has a 7RM Brux bbl.

Those are nice rifles. I’d say go for it if the deal is right. If you get in right, you can get out without getting hurt.

DF
I have a Mk V I bought when I was on the Midway and it loves a Nosler 100 partition at a little over 3300 fps. The last couple of pairs I fired for sighters with a new scope were 0.3” and 0.5”. My son used it on a couple of his first deer when he was about 11 or 12. The load he used was with the discontinued 105 Speer spitzer. Loved that bullet and it shot very flat at 240 velocities.

Sure the cases cost more than your plain Jane cartridges but as Top Gun says, “there’s no such thing as a free lunch”. Buy it and don’t look back.
I had one on a 700 action. It didn't shoot horrible but it was not very good. Hits count for more than misses. If your high velocity thingamabob does not shoot better than a medium velocity thingamabob, the extra velocity is entirely pointless because you can't hit anything with it reliably. The .240 falls between the .243 and .25-'06 in terminal performance. If it doesn't shoot better than a .243 there's no point in having it, just use the .243. I'd have been pretty satisfied with half MOA groups. 1.25 to 1.5 MOA groups won't cut it, that's just missing faster.

Tom
Love mine

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I have a Mk V and it loves Nosler 100 partition at a little over 3300 fps.

Sure the cases cost more than your plain Jane cartridges

My .240 HS Precision SPL also loves the 100 NPT and over MRP, half MOA at 400 yds. In fact the NPT is the best shooting bullet in that gun, and I tried a bunch. I haven't tried RL-26 yet, may need to check it out. Speed may be a bit more; it'll have to be pretty good to beat MRP accuracy. MRP is pretty close to RL-22, some say it's the same powder. So, RL-23 may also be one to try.

.240 cases don't have to cost more. Roll your own using 25-06 brass and a CH4D belt forming die.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W/W on L, Wby on R, can't tell the difference. Neck is fully formed after firing. Performance is the same, W/W primer pockets are said to last longer than Wby/Norma. Brass may be harder.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Great round, but if you reload and wanted a 6mm long action the 6mm-06 makes more sense. However a six lug Mark action in 240 Wby with a fine stock is a nice conversation piece and may prove valuable as the years go by.
I have two of them. One is a custom build on a Rem 700 and the other is one of the new Accuguards. Both are great rifles and it is one of my favorite cartridges. I live in the open prairie on Wyoming and it can really reach out an touch a coyote at distance. The pronghorn antelope are no match for its range and mulies and white tail view them as pure death. I wouldn't get rid of those guns until the very end.... they are a couple of my favorites.
I should add... I would buy a third.
Nice Pronghorn rifles.

They do pretty good on WT's and hogs...

DF
I think rl33 is too slow
Classy .243/06 more-less cool rifle - Weatherby ...
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Great round, but if you reload and wanted a 6mm long action the 6mm-06 makes more sense. However a six lug Mark action in 240 Wby with a fine stock is a nice conversation piece and may prove valuable as the years go by.

Building from scratch, I’d go with 6-06. But, it would cost Jorge a lot more to do that vs. buying the 240.

DF
Not a totally responsive answer but … For 20+ years, I've used a 6MM-06 on every big game animal I've shot except Elk; including Mule Deer, Whitetail, Antelope, Caribou and Big Horn Sheep, I couldn't be more satisfied with a caliber. A 100 grain Partition @ 3270 fps. has taken them all. Mine's a Rem 700 with a #2 Douglas barrel.

The 240 is about the same cartridge -- I'd surely buy it.
Can't believe this made it so far without anyone bemoaning the slow twist.

One "advantage" of the .240, according to an article I read, is that during the Crunch, brass and ammo were as abundant as ever. Those 6-lug WBs are nice. I'd jump on it.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Can't believe this made it so far without anyone bemoaning the slow twist.

One "advantage" of the .240, according to an article I read, is that during the Crunch, brass and ammo were as abundant as ever. Those 6-lug WBs are nice. I'd jump on it.

Yeah, I'd go 8 twist on a 6-06 build.

The 240 is 10 twist and won't stabilize 105's, at least mine won't. Pat sent me some 105 Scenars but they wouldn't group. Does great with 100 NPT's but they're sorta stubby compared to the sleek, high ogive 105's. Of course, it's length, not weight.

DF
Originally Posted by Fotis
I think rl33 is too slow

Agree.

To me, RL-26 is about as slow as I'd want to go.

In some applications, '26 is faster than '25.

DF
Love mine

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fotis. what primer, F-215s? I went ahead and picked it up for a good price. Very nice rifle, LIGHT! nice wood and matte finish bluing.

I'd start with a 210 if using an extruded powder. It's a little smaller than 30-06 capacity.
As would I. My rule is always use 210s with charges below 80grs and it's always seems to tighten up my groups. I'll have to see that the old Weatherby Guide says. They have some pretty good loads in there, including a "factory equivalent load", keeping in mind the last Guide published was in 1985.
You gonna like that one.

Keep us posted.

DF
FYI, both Nosler and Weatherby Guides call for 215s, but I'm going to try both.

Yep.

It depends on the powder.

DF
Jorge, I am super glad you are pleased with the new rifle. I hope it shoots for you as well as you say it looks. The last time I looked at a 240 was in '79 and, of course, it was on the 9 lug magnum action. I passed it over in favor of the Varmintmaster 26 inch in 22-250. Your newer 6 lug action would be much more balanced and desirable to me for a relatively small cartridge like the 240.

My answer to the need for a high speed six is a SA Rem 700 243 rechambered to 6mm-284. I use 240 loading data as a guide and work from there.
I'm just a rifle nut. Hell just a few months ago I picked up an unfired Browning (Sako) Safari in 243... smile
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I have a Mk V and it loves Nosler 100 partition at a little over 3300 fps.

Sure the cases cost more than your plain Jane cartridges

My .240 HS Precision SPL also loves the 100 NPT and over MRP, half MOA at 400 yds. In fact the NPT is the best shooting bullet in that gun, and I tried a bunch. I haven't tried RL-26 yet, may need to check it out. Speed may be a bit more; it'll have to be pretty good to beat MRP accuracy. MRP is pretty close to RL-22, some say it's the same powder. So, RL-23 may also be one to try.

.240 cases don't have to cost more. Roll your own using 25-06 brass and a CH4D belt forming die.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W/W on L, Wby on R, can't tell the difference. Neck is fully formed after firing. Performance is the same, W/W primer pockets are said to last longer than Wby/Norma. Brass may be harder.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I learned something today. Thanks for sharing.
Glad you picked it up, Jorge. I'd like to make a test run with the cartridge too, but due to budgetary constraints, I was thinking of doing it with a Vanguard. Regardless, I think it would make a terrific whitetail cartridge.
I'm just a rifle nut. Hell just a few months ago I picked up an unfired Browning (Sako) Safari in 243... smile

Shrapnel must have let that one slip thru his fingers... wink

DF
I almost owned one once...…..

Went to the LGS to buy one then discovered that 25-Oh6 ballistics are within one of them little hairs of .240 Bee ballistics to 600-700 yards. At the time, the $$ was an issue. So I bought a 6-lug 25-Oh6. The platform is INCREDIBLE !!! Super light, exquisitely balanced and is a .5"-.6" shooter with no special load development in particular.

You're going to be more pleased in the future than you are today.
Love mine

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fotis. what primer, F-215s? I went ahead and picked it up for a good price. Very nice rifle, LIGHT! nice wood and matte finish bluing.

Fed 215 match

I have an 80's vintage Weatherby guide stashed somewhere. What vintage is yours?
Originally Posted by mathman

I have an 80's vintage Weatherby guide stashed somewhere. What vintage is yours?

I have about six of them, ranging from 1957, to it's last year of publication, 1985
Mine may be that last one. The owner of the gun shop where I worked at that time gave it to me.
I wish they'd bring them back. The reloading section is pretty good, especially their "factory equivalent loads" seem to be spot on in the calibers I tried. Great pictures too.
Schit action,schit chambering and schit brass. The dumber of a fhuqk or Texan that you are,the "better" they are...as this Thread and all others attest. Congratulations?!?

100 NPT's are HILARIOUSLY horrid to boot. Hint.

I "prolly" shoot 6-284's also and a High RPM Six Twat-Six Montucky,wearing a Brux. A Seex Kreedmire will reliably slap THE fhuqk outta a 240 Japperby and make it look easy,mainly because it is. Boolits still matter farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmore,than headstamps. Hint. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

Mebbe even a few others,in the bore size. All of which,will fhuqking CRUSH a 240 Japperby. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Seex Kreedmire and now you can say you've "seen" one. Hint. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

If only Peterson made 240 Japperby brass. Hint. LAUGHING!

[Linked Image]

I'll not even mention a 224 Kreedmire and 88's wearing a .545BC at 3250fps and 100+++ MOA available on an erector...because it'd be Sensory Overload. Ooops! Hint. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

A "lowly" 20" Seex Grendel Krunchenticker will reliably CRUSH a 240 Japperby. Easy for me to say,if only because I shoot 'em all and then some. Hint. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

I do very much enjoy the Couchbound Chronicles and Whore Hey's innate ability,to schlep STUPID,to places it's never been before.

Bless her heart.

Laughing!

Let's hope she doesn't "forget" about her Imaginary Pretend Ignore and yet again quantifies,that besides being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,that she is also a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit.

Hint.

LAUGHING!!!!........................
A revelation! EVERYTHING BS uses is the BEST and everything I use is the WORST
I see the father/husband of the year has decided to join the fray.

HINT: i know it's clearly evident his genes swim at the oxygen starved shallow end of the gene (stature) pool, after all these years he still fails to grasp he is on IGNORE UNTIL he addresses me personally (you know, like now)... The dumbass is strong with this one and of course only serves to reinforce I've made the right call...

Jorge, are you paying the midget rent for living in his head?
Paying of course, about the same rate as my lawn people...
WOW...........A crash course in post-lobotomy critical thinking........and all for free !!!

What's that gene pool filled with ??? Bile ?? Vitriol ?? Or just plain old piss ???
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Schit action,schit chambering and schit brass. The dumber of a fhuqk or Texan that you are,the "better" they are...as this Thread and all others attest. Congratulations?!?

100 NPT's are HILARIOUSLY horrid to boot. Hint.

I "prolly" shoot 6-284's also and a High RPM Six Twat-Six Montucky,wearing a Brux. A Seex Kreedmire will reliably slap THE fhuqk outta a 240 Japperby and make it look easy,mainly because it is. Boolits still matter farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmore,than headstamps. Hint. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

Mebbe even a few others,in the bore size. All of which,will fhuqking CRUSH a 240 Japperby. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Seex Kreedmire and now you can say you've "seen" one. Hint. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

If only Peterson made 240 Japperby brass. Hint. LAUGHING!

[Linked Image]

I'll not even mention a 224 Kreedmire and 88's wearing a .545BC at 3250fps and 100+++ MOA available on an erector...because it'd be Sensory Overload. Ooops! Hint. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

A "lowly" 20" Seex Grendel Krunchenticker will reliably CRUSH a 240 Japperby. Easy for me to say,if only because I shoot 'em all and then some. Hint. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

I do very much enjoy the Couchbound Chronicles and Whore Hey's innate ability,to schlep STUPID,to places it's never been before.

Bless her heart.

Laughing!

Let's hope she doesn't "forget" about her Imaginary Pretend Ignore and yet again quantifies,that besides being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,that she is also a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit.

Hint.

LAUGHING!!!!........................

Well that settles it then.
I really enjoy those highly tastefully decorated pirate rifles. They are THE BEST...
Well at least he doesn't have to guess!
And here it is. Leupold scope, and I'm shooting Nosler Partitions, too. That ought to send some into orbit...

[Linked Image]
And here it is. Leupold scope, and I'm shooting Nosler Partitions, too. That ought to send some into orbit...

[Linked Image]

Should have been photographed under water in a nice trout stream, and some nice Krylon pink on the stock would have done wonders. grin

[Linked Image]

That is sweet! What scope do you have on it,Jorge?
VX3 3.5X10X40 I've had for a while. got a good deal on sale awhile back..
Excellent choice Jorge!

I looked at my loading data and I use two primers in my .240 Wby. The first is a Federal 210 Match with RL-22 (the bullet is a Remington Accutip 95 grain) and the second is a CCI 250 Mag (the bullet is a 100 grain Nosler Partition) with IMR 7828.

This is my .240 Wby,it is a Ruger M 77 (tang safety) and a almost 27" barrel. The scope is a Leupold 4-12x.
[Linked Image]

Maybe a better picture of the rifle.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Beautiful Jorge.

If you get tired of it let me know. Do you still hunt up this way? I'd sure like to buy you lunch sometimes,in thanks for your service to our country.
Howdy Doc. No, don't get up there much anymore, maybe once every couple of seasons to hunt with my FIL and I'll let you know if/when I decide to move it.. Elk, I'd be interested in your 100gr Partition load
While I'm on the subject,I think I'd like to point out the advantages of Jorge's rifle and scope.

It is very light,well under 7 pounds scoped. In spite of the light weight,recoil will be very mild,less than a 270 for sure.

Despite the light weight and low recoil,this thing has a very flat point and shoot trajectory. Sight it in at 250 yards and forget it,just hold center of vitals from point blank to 350 yards. This trajectory allows you to take 99.9 % of the shots in the country where we hunt quickly. No need for rangefinders,christmas tree reticles that fade in low light,or dials that have to be turned.

Furthermore,the Partition is a perfect bullet for such endeavors because it will work on a little deer or a huge wild boar,and it will always expand violently for quick kills. It will almost always exit and leave a blood trail as well.

I can't think of another factory rifle that will offer exactly what this rig does. Maybe a Kimber in 25-06 comes close but the 100 grain 6mm bullet has better ballistics than the 100 grain in .257.

I'd like so see some loads!
Sorry Jorge it is the 95 grain Nosler Partition.

53.5 grains of IMR 7828,CCI 250 Mag primer. From my rifle the average velocity is 3365 fps.
Jorge, 10 twist will stabilize 100 gr NPT, at least in my .240.

I'm using MRP, practically an RL-22 clone. When I get home from the office, I'll get you the load.

I haven't tried RL-26, but want to. I recently got an 8# jug; I was that impressed with it in other rounds, like the 7RM.

DF

[Linked Image]

You hit the nicely figured wood jackpot...

That's way better than average...

Congrats.

DF
I went ahead and picked it up for a good price.

You are no stranger to Wby's. What was your initial aversion?
Used one for several years, like the chambering. mine was a ULW, shot excellent.
Originally Posted by Reloder28

small bore.
And thanks for the loads, folks..
Originally Posted by Reloder28

small bore.
And thanks for the loads, folks..

Little but it bites...

DF
Posted By: GRF Re: THOUGHTS ON THE 240 WEATHERBY? - 09/20/18
"While I'm on the subject,I think I'd like to point out the advantages of Jorge's rifle and scope.

It is very light,well under 7 pounds scoped. In spite of the light weight,recoil will be very mild,less than a 270 for sure.

Despite the light weight and low recoil,this thing has a very flat point and shoot trajectory. Sight it in at 250 yards and forget it,just hold center of vitals from point blank to 350 yards. This trajectory allows you to take 99.9 % of the shots in the country where we hunt quickly. No need for rangefinders,christmas tree reticles that fade in low light,or dials that have to be turned.

Furthermore,the Partition is a perfect bullet for such endeavors because it will work on a little deer or a huge wild boar,and it will always expand violently for quick kills. It will almost always exit and leave a blood trail as well.

I can't think of another factory rifle that will offer exactly what this rig does. Maybe a Kimber in 25-06 comes close but the 100 grain 6mm bullet has better ballistics than the 100 grain in .257."

Rural Doc; what a well phrased, well thought out and eloquent comment.

All the best.

GRF
Fhuqking HILARIOUS Dumbfhuqktitude,extolled obliviously...by Couchbound Kchunts doing their BEST. Laffin'!

Hunnert NPT at 3400fps ala Whore Hey! Japperby. Hint.

[Linked Image]

A "lowly" Seex Kreedmire and a 108 ELD M(pardon my only having 3 rifles,so chambered). Pardon the NEARLY full ONE inch of trajectory "difference",at the "vaunted" 350yd line,by Plentyofcocs. I'm not even gonna mention BC or wind,a short action,or farrrrrrr less powder consumption,let alone vastly SUPERIOR brass and the Accuracy/Precision advantage,conjoined with much lesser ES/SD values or FUN. Hint. Laffin'

[Linked Image]

Prolly toted a Six Twat-Six a smidge today...though I'd not wanna knock any of the SWEET "Satisfactions" offa Whore Hey's! Japperby and The BIG "ADVENTURE",of it being schlepped from her Soccer Mom Bitch Mobile,to her fhuqking couch. If only because that's ALL "The Outdoors" it will ever fhuqking "experience"! LAFFIN'!

Perhaps you Do NOTHING Kchunts can "convince" yourselves,that Montucky's are "heavy" and there are Blued/Walnut "advantages",along with Retard Twist Rates and Dog Schit Boolits...not to mention scopes that track,hold zero,return to same,have a reticle that'll "only" reach the 1300yd+++ line and bolster a VASTLY superior mounting system to boot?!? You know,if only for fhuqking Starters. Laffin'!

So as to avoid confusion,for you fhuqking Drooling DUMB Fhuqks. hInt.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

105 Hornie HPBT's at 3375fps(da' 8" Brux ain't anywhere NEAR 26 STUPID Fhuqking inches in length). Hint.

[Linked Image]

The ONLY thing you Whining Kchunts "shoot",is your mouths and Imaginations. Pardon Reality yet again colliding with your Fantasy,as I simply shoot it all and then some,so am afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess. Hint. Laffin'!

Pluralcoc's sage "wisdom",was simply fhuqking HILARIOUS! Points awarded,for another Drooler "endorsing" same,as you gal's version of "knowledge","experience" and "results",is never not Fhuqking HILARIOUS +P+!!! Laffin'!

GREAT Time for you "Hard Chargers" to "quantify" your Imaginary Pretend Ignore,by reiterating that besides being CLUELESS Fhuqks,you are also Lying Pieces Of Fhuqking Schit! You go girl!!!

Pardon the Hurricane,robbing Splendor from Splendid Pixels.

[Linked Image]

Bless your hearts for TRYING so hard.

Just sayin'.

Laffin'!

(Addendum for another Drooler TRYIN')

Trajectory is Physics...wind is Vudoo(pun intended,because I have a Brace) and them who only "shoot" their mouths and Imaginations,will hurriedly align to corroborate same(obliviously). Hint.

Laffin'!
Awful lotta typing and masturbation to justify a 3 inch difference in drop at 700 yards and to extol the virtues of Kimber's stubby little PVC deckpost.

Good looking bunch of salmonids...……………...but, DUDE...……….change your phone wallpaper...…………...
Laffin' !!
I think ol' Boxer must've given up on the 243. He's always talkin' this "Seex Kreedmire" up now. I'll Stick (no pun intended) by the now uncool 243 Winchester myself.
What does "japperby" mean I wonder. Maybe " Boxer" that I'm sure his only "boxing" had to do with a losing effort whilst trying to punch out of a wet paper bag) will splain the meaning of this term or maybe his husband/father/gnome of the year sockpuppet "Big (pardon me whilst I snicker at "big" anything with this midget) Stick will chime in. And OH! I forgot to add, just received a birthday present from my buddy Pugs consisting of Peterson Brass for my 243, I must say, BEST brass ever!
[Linked Image]
Well jorge, now that Boxer has weighed in, you can use that as a contra-indicator and know you've made the right decision to snag that .240

You know I'm not a Weatherby fan, but damn! That one looks nice!
Originally Posted by ingwe
Well jorge, now that Boxer has weighed in, you can use that as a contra-indicator and know you've made the right decision to snag that .240

Thank you and of course that is my philosophy.. PS: I think you might just like this one... smile

Thank you and of course that is my philosophy.. PS: I think you might just like this one... smile

I think it would be hard to NOT like that one...

DF
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is hilarious!!!

I think Ingwe would like that one, who wouldn't.

If he had one, it would be his BIG gun... wink

He could lose his Stunt Shooters card if he used it too much... grin

DF
Originally Posted by Boxer
Fhuqking HILARIOUS Dumbfhuqktitude,extolled obliviously...by Couchbound Kchunts doing their BEST. Laffin'!

Hunnert NPT at 3400fps ala Whore Hey! Japperby. Hint.

[Linked Image]

A "lowly" Seex Kreedmire and a 108 ELD M(pardon my only having 3 rifles,so chambered). Pardon the NEARLY full ONE inch of trajectory "difference",at the "vaunted" 350yd line,by Plentyofcocs. I'm not even gonna mention BC or wind,a short action,or farrrrrrr less powder consumption,let alone vastly SUPERIOR brass and the Accuracy/Precision advantage,conjoined with much lesser ES/SD values or FUN. Hint. Laffin'

[Linked Image]

Prolly toted a Six Twat-Six a smidge today...though I'd not wanna knock any of the SWEET "Satisfactions" offa Whore Hey's! Japperby and The BIG "ADVENTURE",of it being schlepped from her Soccer Mom Bitch Mobile,to her fhuqking couch. If only because that's ALL "The Outdoors" it will ever fhuqking "experience"! LAFFIN'!

Perhaps you Do NOTHING Kchunts can "convince" yourselves,that Montucky's are "heavy" and there are Blued/Walnut "advantages",along with Retard Twist Rates and Dog Schit Boolits...not to mention scopes that track,hold zero,return to same,have a reticle that'll "only" reach the 1300yd+++ line and bolster a VASTLY superior mounting system to boot?!? You know,if only for fhuqking Starters. Laffin'!

So as to avoid confusion,for you fhuqking Drooling DUMB Fhuqks. hInt.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

105 Hornie HPBT's at 3375fps(da' 8" Brux ain't anywhere NEAR 26 STUPID Fhuqking inches in length). Hint.

[Linked Image]

The ONLY thing you Whining Kchunts "shoot",is your mouths and Imaginations. Pardon Reality yet again colliding with your Fantasy,as I simply shoot it all and then some,so am afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess. Hint. Laffin'!

Pluralcoc's sage "wisdom",was simply fhuqking HILARIOUS! Points awarded,for another Drooler "endorsing" same,as you gal's version of "knowledge","experience" and "results",is never not Fhuqking HILARIOUS +P+!!! Laffin'!

GREAT Time for you "Hard Chargers" to "quantify" your Imaginary Pretend Ignore,by reiterating that besides being CLUELESS Fhuqks,you are also Lying Pieces Of Fhuqking Schit! You go girl!!!

Pardon the Hurricane,robbing Splendor from Splendid Pixels.

[Linked Image]

Bless your hearts for TRYING so hard.

Just sayin'.

Laffin'!

(Addendum for another Drooler TRYIN')

Trajectory is Physics...wind is Vudoo(pun intended,because I have a Brace) and them who only "shoot" their mouths and Imaginations,will hurriedly align to corroborate same(obliviously). Hint.

Laffin'!

No offense, Boxer, but did you intend to use a 257 100 gr partition in that first table or a 243/6mm?
No in the 257 he used to use the blue meanies. And a lot of sucks 700's
Weatherby brass, 100 Nosler partition, 3.151” OA (or base to ogive with Hornady tool) of 3.732”. 52 grs of IMR 4831 and CCI 200 for 3300 fps from a 24” MK V.
First sighting in with factory 100gr Weatherby soft points (Norma Oryx?) Brass and components arrive this week.

[Linked Image]
Looks like ya got some potential there...

Should be interesting.

DF
First sighting in with factory 100gr Weatherby soft points (Norma Oryx?) Brass and components arrive this week.

[Linked Image]

Hornady 100 grain spire points?

Good shooting Jorge!
we need these

https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=38373
That is a fast cartridge, hell of a pig killer I bet!!
Fotis, the std. .240 twist is 10 and you gotta be careful with long, sleek, heavier bullets. The link you posted suggested 8 twist.

IME, the 100 gr. NPT is about the max wt. a 10 twist will handle, 105's don't stabilize. Heavier monos, because of their length, would probably fall into that category. Partitions aren't that long and sleek.

Great round. I wish mine was an 8 twist. If I built a .240, it would be a 6-06 with 8 twist.

DF
Originally Posted by hanco
That is a fast cartridge, hell of a pig killer I bet!!

Yep.

And it'll reach out there.

DF
Yeah I think they require a 1 to 8 minimum
100gr Norma Oryx. I have some 95gr Partitions inbound
i think a Piece Of Fhuqking Schit and a Whore Hey! Japperby just flew by, not sure?
100gr Norma Oryx. I have some 95gr Partitions inbound

Gotcha. wink
I had a Weatherby LW Accurmark and then a custom Model 700 in .240 Weatherby. Also had a custom Model 7 in 6mm/284. Shot 90 & 95gr bullets only. Well, I did load 50rds of 70X in the Accumark. Its a great killer and I have a friend/chuch member here that has used his Mark V in .240W with the Nosler 95PT over 40yrs, deer, elk. I didn't find the Weatherby brass hard to work with, just to find! The 6mm/284 was the same thing, but lots of case prep. I like it, always used R19 in mine. My friends uses 4895.
With regard to twist, I shoot a 6mm-06 built specifically to shoot the 105 Berger. I had planned on a 1:8 twist but my builder (Kirby Allen) convinced me to go with the 1:9. He found the 1:9 stabilizes well at 6mm-06 velocities so I took his advice. Easily sub 1/2 MOA with several groups in the .2s, .3s, and .4s before I stopped punching paper and switched to live critters and long range rocks. Light recoil, kills with authority, and great accuracy.

My 25" Bartlein will push the 105 at around 3400 with several powders. I found I got lower ES with RL23 and slowed them down to about 3300 as I simply don't need the extra FPS and thought I would help brass and barrel life at lower pressures.

A 95 berger with a 1:10 is a good option. I have seen them shoot in .243s at much lower speeds. I would personally take a hard look at an 85 TSX or 90 accubond if shooting a 1:10 .240 inside of 4-500 yards. You can get them screaming within ranges where BC won't make much difference.
I think I will be fine with the 95gr Partition.

It will be perfect. I would start there. Also had great results with the 95 grain Hornady SST. Used it in 243 and 6mm Remington. I had it exit on big Boar hogs. It's a pretty tough bullet.
Excellent. thanks, Doc
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

It will be perfect. I would start there. Also had great results with the 95 grain Hornady SST. Used it in 243 and 6mm Remington. I had it exit on big Boar hogs. It's a pretty tough bullet.

Be sure you have the newer, latest SST. The older ones didn't hold together that well and the .240 pushes them faster than the .243 or 6 Rem. Some of those older SST's can be velocity sensitive.

Like NBT's, I quit using them after some bad experiences. I went back to NBT's after Nosler toughened them up. I haven't gotten back with SST's, but have heard they're now tougher, not too unlike the NBT's.

DF
I used 150gr SSTs out of a 303 Brit on a deer last year. Shoulder at 117 yards. Punched all the way through with a reasonable exit hole indicating expansion, so it appears they have been toughened up. J
I have a M700 with a crooked throat in .270, thinking about making a .240 WM out of it. I'll probably ask for a 1 in 8" barrel, however. Have to contemplate who to do the work.
Originally Posted by MedRiver
take a hard look at an 85 TSX or 90 accubond if shooting a 1:10 .240 inside of 4-500 yards. You can get them screaming within ranges where BC won't make much difference.

I ran an 80 TTSX at 3,600 fps out of my .240. They say monos don't have a velocity ceiling; I'm not so sure.

If you're running a mono with S.D. < .2, like the 80 TTSX, I think you can overshoot the runway, so to speak, on WT and similar game. It may be OK of smaller stuff. A doe I shot at arouind 100 yds. had a huge chunk of meat blasted from her chest wall, very little damage inside the chest cavity. It seems to me that this low S.D. bullet, driven that fast, didn't have enough momentum to carry all that energy into the chest cavity. The energy was dissipated too quickly. I'm attributing that to lack of momentum, Or maybe the lack of sufficient mass was overwhelmed by hyper velocity. Too much speed for that light bullet on that deer.

Extremes of about anything can sometimes cause extreme results. The 85 TSX may not be as bad. I like tipped TSX in small caliber Barnes; they reportedly open more consistently. Bigger calibers, not that much of an issue.

BTW, 80 TTSX S.D. is .194, the 85 TSX is .206. That's not a lot of difference. S.D. of .2 is just an arbatrary number, would like opinions on very fast, very light monos on WT sized game.

The 80 TTSX at .243 speeds may be OK. I'll not use it again the the .240 on WT's.. It was/is very accurate.

I'd run the 90 gr. NAB w/o hesitation. As posted before, my 240 does great with the 100 NPT and it has a 10 twist H.S. Precision barrel.

DF
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I have a M700 with a crooked throat in .270, thinking about making a .240 WM out of it. I'll probably ask for a 1 in 8" barrel, however. Have to contemplate who to do the work.

I've had very short turnaround time with Shilen barrels. My idea is to pick the smith and find out what barrel maker he prefers. His reputation is on the line as well as the barrel maker. And some makers back their products better than others. No one is more in tune with what's going on in that industry than the smith.

DF
Just booked a hunt for Axis & hogs next may with my buddy Hatari. Going to the SOE ranches (Canyon Ranch) with Mike Stroff of Savage renown so I;m going to take this 240 with those 95gr Partitions.
Bet that is a hell of a combination.
My current 240 bee shoots 100 gr partitions at 3425 at. 51" at 100 yds. I am using reloader 26 powder.
My current 240 bee shoots 100 gr partitions at 3425 at. 51" at 100 yds. I am using reloader 26 powder.

is that the load you posted previously on this thread?
I used 54gr R19/BR2 primers with both the 90 NBT and the old 90X bullets. Pure poison. My church memeber uses nothing but the 95 Partition, even on some big bulls.

is that the load you posted previously on this thread?

I believe it is, yes sir
© 24hourcampfire