Home
Posted By: JeffP40 Howa/Sako. - 09/17/18
I have read something and would like confirmation. I have an older short action Sako. Will a Howa stock match the inletting? A bit of work is no biggy, just wondering. I need a different stock for mine.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Howa/Sako. - 09/17/18
Originally Posted by JeffP40
I have read something and would like confirmation. I have an older short action Sako. Will a Howa stock match the inletting? A bit of work is no biggy, just wondering. I need a different stock for mine.

If it does fit, it would be luck, they aren't the same action...
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Howa/Sako. - 09/17/18
It's a Sako only in some of its design
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Howa/Sako. - 09/17/18
If it is a short action Sako it is much smaller in diameter and length than the Howa, and nothing will work, ie magazines, floor plates, screw spacing etc.
Posted By: edapp Re: Howa/Sako. - 09/17/18
Are you thinking of Howa/Weatherby?
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Howa/Sako. - 09/17/18
Years back I was inquiring about a McMillan stock for a Howa barreled action. They did not show complete inlets for Howa at the time, but stated that the Sako action McMillan could be inlet for a Howa with minor adjustments. Mind you it was a long action I was seeking. The Howa action is close variant in blueprint to the Sako L61R design.
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Howa/Sako. - 09/17/18
McMillan can inlet Sako stock blanks for weatherby vanguard/Howa/S&W actions. That’s a long way from saying they are interchangeable though
Posted By: kfbarter Re: Howa/Sako. - 09/17/18
The Dickson Howa is interchangeable with a Sako but that is a whole different deal.
Posted By: JeffP40 Re: Howa/Sako. - 09/18/18
I was wondering how close they may be. Mine is the 80s Beretta round top action made by Sako. I am guessing it is the AII action, if I recall correctly Sakos numbering. 243 chambering. the recoil lug looks close to Howa, just don't know how everything will match. There is a much better selection of stock styles for Howa, so I would like to know. I don't have an outlet here to look for myself.
Posted By: kfbarter Re: Howa/Sako. - 09/18/18
Old thread on same topic

Buy a cheap one and try it out.
Posted By: JeffP40 Re: Howa/Sako. - 09/20/18
I was hoping it was close enough for me to bed. I think I will try it. The local shop has a couple used Vanguards, so I may be able to see. Thanks.
© 24hourcampfire