Home
Posted By: TnBigBore Browning BLR 257 Bob - 09/17/18
Just located an older steel receiver BLR in 257 Roberts here locally. I was thinking it would make a great all around deer rifle for my 13 year old daughter who is a lefty. Anyone have any experience with this combination?
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Browning BLR 257 Bob - 09/17/18
I only have experience with 308 models having owned a few. The 257 is pretty rare and is a buy
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Browning BLR 257 Bob - 09/17/18
I had one, but not for long. The trigger travels with the lever and the ergs don't work well for me. Other than that it was OK, but as noted previously, it didn't stick around long.
Posted By: rockchucker Re: Browning BLR 257 Bob - 09/17/18
ive had 1. just shot factory out of it with ho hum results. i played with it for a bit but just couldnt get comfortable behind it. someone recently offered me an ungodly amount of $$$ for it. now they own it and im happy for them smile
Posted By: Tejano Re: Browning BLR 257 Bob - 09/17/18
Buy it and don't look back. I have always wanted a 257 BLR and a 284. I have used six BLRs in 308 and 243 and they were all accurate to extremely accurate. It is basically a rotary bolt with a lever. The triggers can be worked on but I would use a gunsmith that specializes in this for adjustment. But the same as your daughter I used one because they are ambidextrous. I like the steel receivers and the medium or short actions the most. I assume you hand load that would be my only reservation on the Bob, stock up on brass when you find it too.
Meh... I had one in .308

I REALLY wanted to like the rifle. I handloaded for it and could NEVER get it below 1 1/2" with handloads. Crappy trigger did not help. Had a friend with a .243 that was just as bad. She does not have it any more either.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Browning BLR 257 Bob - 09/17/18
Thanks for the info guys. My father-in-law had an early one in 308 for years. It now belongs to my nephew. It is scary accurate with several brands of ammo. I shot it a good bit over the years and even got used to the trigger. I just wondered who had one in 257 and what kind of accuracy they got. I do handload, but will have to tool up with dies, brass etc.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Browning BLR 257 Bob - 09/17/18
Sounds like a good rifle for daughter. I had an early BLR but in 358. I have a 257 Roberts in a bolt action now.

The BLR is a good rifle. I like the steel receiver model, mine was accurate.

If you buy the rifle, may I suggest 100 grain Nosler Partitions. I’d suggest the Gack book or the Nosler reloading manual for loads.
Posted By: old70 Re: Browning BLR 257 Bob - 09/18/18
Had a 257 for a while, never could get it to shoot well, but that may have been the trigger. It flat sucked. The gun would shoot minute of deer, but that’s about it.

Old70
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Browning BLR 257 Bob - 09/20/18
I like the 257 but wouldn't pay the premium to have one in a BLR. The trigger and very low comb would be a deal breaker.

Better off just buying a BLR in 243 if you're set on a lever for your daughter.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Browning BLR 257 Bob - 09/20/18
OASN .... A fellow at work has a BLR in 257 he got from his dad. He doesn't shoot much so factory 117gr RN ammo is all he uses. He thinks it's magical.

He's the only other fellow I know here other than myself that owns a 257.
Posted By: duckster Re: Browning BLR 257 Bob - 09/20/18
I love the .257 Bob as a deer round
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Browning BLR 257 Bob - 09/20/18
I had a BLR in .257 Roberts for awhile. Except for a too heavy trigger it was a great rifle and was easy to keep at an inch in accuracy. I really like the caliber having only been without one for a few years when I sold my Win M70 FWT to my brother for his kids to use. I have since bought another. and plan to buy another. Reloads or factory have shot well to excellent in the 2 .257s I have had in the past. I seemed to have better success with it than the .243 Wins I have used. Different factors may be the cause of that, but I have confidence in the .257.
© 24hourcampfire