Home
Posted By: Nate40 Kimber 84 hunter - 09/20/18
Whats the verdict on these? Im talking to a guy about buying one here locally in 308 and was curious what kinda accuracy They typically show as well as any issues I should be aware about. Thanks
Posted By: SAKO270WSM Re: Kimber 84 hunter - 09/20/18
Brace yourself for the “you should get a Barrett Fieldcraft” comments lol. I had though of getting one of these also is 7-08. On the fire here it’s a love or hate em crowd.
Posted By: tzone Re: Kimber 84 hunter - 09/20/18
I have one and like it a lot. Mine is in 6.5CM. It's light, handles nice, stainless barrel/action, detach mag that is flush, and it's topped with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 . Last weekend I shot a 1.5" 5 shot group at 200 with Factory loaded 140gr Nosler Accubonds....what's not to like?

There are two things I can find fault with, one of them is personal. It has a 3 shot mag. I'd like more, though I've never shot more than that at a deer. The other is Hornady 143gr ELD-X bullets are the heaviest you can get in the mag due to length. They juuuuuuuust fit in the mag.

I like the rifle a lot, and so far LOVE the 6.5.
Posted By: FLNative Re: Kimber 84 hunter - 09/21/18
Do a quick search on Kimber or Kimber Hunter in Hunting Rifles. There was a thread here in the forum back in early August, started with a similar question; i.e. thinking about getting one. Might supplement whatever you get for replies here.

I have one chambered .280AI and I am thoroughly happy with the rifle. I've tested loads all over the 7mm map for bullet size and manufacturer, mostly just trying to find an even better better mouse-trap. The first three bullets I tried were 150 Partitions, 120 Ballistic Tips, and 120 TTSX's. I found loads for all three that will consistently do 5 shots 1" or better at 100, and didn't have to work too hard or burn too much powder to do it. In the past 6 weeks, I've tried 4 more bullets, as well as new loads for the original three. It didn't love every option I tried, but what rifle does? I did find several more loads that are close to or under an inch through two test groups each. It's kind of an embarrassment of riches to have the choices I've got for hunting loads.

Shoot it a lot, and hunted it most of last season. I'd buy it again, no hesitation. No roulette experience here. Magazine design works just fine, no trouble. The barrel heats up FAST at the range, but that's not a big deal, and if it's my only complaint, it ain't much. Take another rifle or two and shoot them while it cools.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Kimber 84 hunter - 09/23/18
Mine is a 6.5 CM and set up just like tzone’s Hunter.

I really like the rifle and it’s quickly become my go-to for all my big game hunting, pronghorn to elk.

I wish they’d bring it out in .204 or .223 with a faster twist.
Posted By: greenmtndave Re: Kimber 84 hunter - 09/23/18
I really wanted one of these in 7mm-08. Finally made the drive to go see one in person two weeks ago. The shop I visited had one on the shelf marked down to $625. Ended up coming home with a Tikka T3x in 7-08 instead after handling and inspecting both for close to 2 hrs. I liked the slimmer handling stock on the Kimber a bit better but the action was noticeably rough and the safety extremely stiff. The shopkeeper told me that his good friend had two and both shot very well after he got them back after initially returning to Kimber due to poor grouping. I didn't feel like taking the gamble.

I previously owned a Kimber 84 Montana (257 Roberts) that had a much smoother action and shot very well out of the box.

My $.02.
Posted By: BGunn Re: Kimber 84 hunter - 09/23/18
I have a .308 that I’m very happy with...

[Linked Image]
I have one in 6.5 CM........I love this rifle....It is my go to Rifle when Deer Hunting.....I am getting a little less than 1 inch 3 shot group @ 100 with Hornady American whitetail 129GR
© 24hourcampfire