Home
Posted By: 16bore Is there anything left to do? - 09/25/18
Let's see....heavy, light, ultra light, magnum, short magnum, really short magnum, Creednation, monos, high BC, wood, blue, stainless, synthetic, custom, semi custom, factory, cheap factory, dirt cheap factory, SS, Pump, Auto, bolt, Doubles, truck gun, beater, long range....

What the hell is left?
Posted By: JDK Re: Is there anything left to do? - 09/25/18
Use?
Not specifically about rifles but what about ammo? I saw a TV show where a company is using polymer/plastic cartridge cases instead of brass - seems strictly military for now and they stressed weight savings. how about the old caseless cartridges which had solid propellant shaped like the brass case - anyone remember that? could we perfect that stuff for commercial use?
Digress! All kinds of cool old cartridges out there to play with. Why does it always have to "seem" to be new, (even though it really isn't),? What could an inveterate experimenter do with something like the 6.5 X 57 or 8 X 60 in a modern rifle? Just a thought.
"What will they think of next?"
Originally Posted by 16bore
Let's see....heavy, light, ultra light, magnum, short magnum, really short magnum, Creednation, monos, high BC, wood, blue, stainless, synthetic, custom, semi custom, factory, cheap factory, dirt cheap factory, SS, Pump, Auto, bolt, Doubles, truck gun, beater, long range....

What the hell is left?

You ever try a straight pull bolt like the Swiss K31? They are damn accurate too...
Bullpups . . . . LONG RANGE BULLPUPS wink
You're looking at a mature technology. LRF technology was one of the biggest steps in a long time, but other than that it's just incremental steps or new looks to the same old stuff in order to sell more stuff to people who already have stuff.

I suspect any major changes in the future are most likely to come when someone perfects something along the lines of projectiles that vastly increase velocity or propellants that are outside the realm of what we currently use.
[Linked Image]11290005 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
[Linked Image]TM Rigby 5 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
[Linked Image]aag-443_1 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
[Linked Image]My Rifle 3 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
How about something like one of these?

What the hell is left?

Well, I've never played with ultra light, short magnums, really short magnums, creednation, dirt cheap factory, auto, or doubles. So not much, as I have no interest in most of them. A Creedmoor might be the exception. Someday. Maybe.
I'd like to be able to drop 500 fired cases in a box, push a button and have them all trimmed to the same length.
500 Linebaugh lever action carbine
+1
Doesn't matter what the new thing is or what the difference is- there will be a certain percentage that buys it. Just like the damn Iphone. Change the number, add 1/16th inch, bump the price way up, and it sells.
Posted By: PSE Re: Is there anything left to do? - 09/29/18
Phase Plasma Rifle in the 40 watt range
Laser guns.

Mike

What the hell is left?

Fundamentals.

Fact.
Hmmm.....year later, I reckon 6mm Creed is the new “thing”?
22 Creed is the thing now.
Damn.....I’m so yesterday.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd like to be able to drop 500 fired cases in a box, push a button and have them all trimmed to the same length.

Haa !! Don't we all wish.

kwg
Light weight shoulder mounted rail guns.
Only thing left for me to do is

GET UP & GO HUNTING ! Tomorrow.

I’ve already chased ALL the rabbits and ‘new’ fandangled improvements I’m going to chase !!!!!
I got ‘lured’ on to the Swede..... oh wow / the ‘creed’ NO FREAKIN way.
They accomplish mediocrity in a short action. SHEESH !

I’ll give it to the Swede — 120 gr bullets @ 3000 FPS. It beats the 243 & 6mm Rem

I always wanted a 284 W ( talk about yesterday grin), 140s @ 3000 FPS ...
hmmm, sounds like a 270 in S A. I DO like it tho.

FOR ME — 400 yds — can’t beat 270 (280) or 7 RM.

I’m done chasing Butterflies.... they are NOT free. grin

Jerry
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Figure out how to do that and you'll become a god in the reloading world, overnight!
Bismuth or tungsten cup and cores.
I’ll be right back to where I started when the ‘06 Tikka shows up....
Originally Posted by Higbean
Bismuth or tungsten cup and cores.

Speer did tungsten in 1990 with their African Grand Slam solid.
I read all these threads with great interest. All they ever do is convince me to keep my 30-06. The SIX will do everything that needs to be done. Sorry no sale!
For me, the 06 is not the number 1 choice for anything but is the number 2 choice for everything. Thus, I can not see being without one.
It has ALL been done with brass cases necked up and down. But it can all be new again with chasing things like paradox's, muzzle loaders and early cartridge rifles.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
22 Creed is the thing now.

Only on here, other forums it's the 25 Creed and 131 gr Black Jack bullets. Outperforms all other Creeds don't you know? I'm still waiting for fire and forget ammo or bullets that won't kill anything but B&C lifetime trophy game.
To the OP, I didn't see you list lever actions or ANY typo of muzzle loader. A man could spend a life time just on those. Then you could also buy the old and broken and restore them. Yet another life time.
I was talking about all these epic advances in firearms technology.
Posted By: RBO Re: Is there anything left to do? - 10/13/19
Stronger, lighter materials that are more slippery, hard to heat up and cool super fast.
Originally Posted by MM879
I read all these threads with great interest. All they ever do is convince me to keep my 30-06. The SIX will do everything that needs to be done. Sorry no sale!

Tried and true is hard to beat.
The '06 is pretty close to being the perfect all around cartridge for a one gun hunter.
I tend to prefer lever actions for most of my hunting.
Although I have several scoped bolt guns,
Here in my area in Georgia, deep swamps and heavily wooded areas are the norm, so I find the levers in larger calibers to be optimal. Quick handling, and highly effective on deer and hogs.
Rifles for the '06 offer no advantages to me.

I see very little in the way of new developments these days that have not actually been done in the past.
When it comes to cartridges and rifles there will always be a new flavor of the month, most being no better than preexisting ones.
I too would like to see a one step case trimmer, but I actually enjoy the processes involved in Handloading , so I don't mind doing it the old fashioned way.
© 24hourcampfire