Home
Posted By: gunner500 A tale of two 338's - 10/05/18
I bought a M-70 classic stainless boss equipped 338 WM in the classifieds here last week, got it yesterday evening, brought it home and to the rifle cradle it went, coated the bore with carb out, while in the rifle rest, I mounted, loctited, and lapped a set of tallet lw's in, mounted an old spare matte 4.5-14x40 AO, [ I know, chitty eye box, but hey, it was there] after the carb out treatment I foamed it up good with wipeout, let set for three hrs, coated it again last night before bed, and let sit upside down all night.

Got up this morning pushed a patch through it, and mounted a painted, bedded and pillar bedded factory Tupperware stock I had Darren75 here at the fire paint plus add a spacer to give me a lop of 13-7/8ths inches, went to see my old buddy at his machine shop, he cut the threads for the boss, filed the muzzle flat, that will do for now till I have time to take it to my 'smith for an 11 degree recess, came home and went to the load shop, 70 grs of RL-17 sent the 250 gr A-Frames to 2743 fps in the Winchester, went in and grabbed my 26" barreled Kimber SA, it registered 2796 fps, not such a bad loss with the Winchester having only 22"s of barrel left.

I fired a couple with the Winchester to get close to center at 100, moved the target out to 200 yards, while it was cooling I fired 5 rounds from the Kimber, they went about 1.5" for 5 at 200 yards, not surprised, that old rifle has been accurate with any bullet I've ever fired in it, I miscounted my ammo, had only four rounds left loaded with the new brass, the Winchester, chitty crown and all put 4 rounds into roughly the same 1.5"s at 200 yards, shocked the hell out of me, boss hell, who needs em. grin

Both rifles weigh right at 8.5lbs all up, I am a happy bastard today.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/05/18
I had one of those (without the Boss) and with a 275 grain Swift A-Frame it was brutal off the bench. Traded it off and I have no regrets.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/05/18
I found them both completely comfortable off the bench with the 250's, but hell, I've been drinking beer, grilling chicken and smoking Dominicans this morning, may have been shooting a bit comfortably numb, works done, I'm at the farm for the weekend, let er rip!
Posted By: GRF Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/05/18
Sounds very nice rifles shooting well, some beers Sounds like life is good.

If you have the opportunity and inclination pictures of the “new” Winchester would be appreciated

Thanks GRF
Thanks GRF, a fine weekend it will be indeed, I'll have to have Wifey send a pic to DirtFarmer, maybe he will post it, I'm really liking this 22" barreled 338, a real tight cover pit fighter if you will, stainless/synthetic and only 8.5 lbs all up says you can carry and hunt it anywhere.

Ran the numbers on the 250 gr A-Frames at 2746 fps, +3 at 100 will get a 240 yard zero and only be 5" down at 300, 20 down at 400 and still packing 1950 fps, plenty of punch for easy 400 yard hunting of all conus game, deer to moose.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/05/18
Sounds like a good pair gunner
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sounds like a good pair gunner

Thanks Buddy, I'm kinda stuck with the 250 SAF's for awhile, I must have 7 or 8 hundred of the things left, glad they flew well in this new rifle, have thought about the 250 NPT's and 225 gr TTSX's as well, the Swift may not give up much to either as far as hunting, just a bit of trajectory and drift.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/05/18
Hard to go wrong with a swift a frame buddy.
Rah-Jah that, I don't have any heavier game experience with them, just blowing through deer and medium sized pigs like they're made of newspaper. grin have seen chit fly up behind them so hard and fast I thought I missed ; ]
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/06/18
Originally Posted by gunner500
I found them both completely comfortable off the bench with the 250's, but hell, I've been drinking beer, grilling chicken and smoking Dominicans this morning, may have been shooting a bit comfortably numb, works done, I'm at the farm for the weekend, let er rip!

Well not all of us are built like an armored tank either. wink
Posted By: SKane Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/06/18
Ibut hell, I've been drinking beer, grilling chicken and smoking Dominicans this morning, may have been shooting a bit comfortably numb, works done, I'm at the farm for the weekend, let er rip!

laugh laugh
Aiming fluid.
Posted By: memtb Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/06/18
Everyone should have at least two, of perhaps the finest, all around factory cartridge produced today! Congrats. memtb
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/06/18
Shot a .338 some years back. Pussy cat it was. Shilen with one of those new fangled syn stocks. Very accurate as cannons go.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Shot a .338 some years back. Pussy cat it was. Shilen with one of those new fangled syn stocks. Very accurate as cannons go.

The wife loves hers.....maybe, not so much, from the bench! grin memtb
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/06/18
Originally Posted by memtb
Everyone should have at least two, of perhaps the finest, all around factory cartridge produced today! Congrats. memtb

I agree buddy.

I love mine too, I just don't get too carried away with shooting it either... I'll shoot a 5 shot group once a year, right before elk season and then put her away until elk season, then repeat again next year. grin

[Linked Image]

Going to be pulling her out of the safe here pretty soon wink
Posted By: jwall Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/06/18

I agree buddy.

I ‘would’ agree FOR those who need a 338 WM. Surely WT aren’t that hard to kill. Point being unless you hunt game ‘bigger’ than WT......

Jerry
Originally Posted by jwall

I agree buddy.

I ‘would’ agree FOR those who need a 338 WM. Surely WT aren’t that hard to kill. Point being unless you hunt game ‘bigger’ than WT......

Jerry

Alright Jerry, it's damn good for wooly mammoth. Now if they would just hurry with that clone, dammit... What more could you ask for? grin
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/06/18

Those sound like nice rifles gunner, but they're practically BB guns compared to your 338-378 Wby.

… have thought about the 250 NPT's and 225 gr TTSX's as well, the Swift may not give up much to either as far as hunting, just a bit of trajectory and drift.

If you're getting 2,750 fps out of those 250 gr bullets, I assume you could get about 3,000 fps out of a 225 gr Accubond. You would be increasing both your velocity and your B.C. with a bullet tough and effective enough for anything on the continent. Not necessary, but seems like an ideal bullet for that gun.
jwall You’re very correct.....certainly “not” needed, if Whitetail and hogs are the biggest game on the docket! But, if you hunt a variety of large game, sometimes at extended ranges, AND want one rifle/caliber to do it all (I know....blasphemous).....the .338 WM, is pretty hard to beat! memtb

I agree buddy.

Jerry

Wabbits. wink
BSA, pretty sweet shooting rifle, you have there! The wife’s won’t keep a group that tight. It shoots decently, and repeats it year after year, seeming unaffected by weather/seasons ....it simply just works! memtb
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

I agree buddy.

Jerry

Wabbits. wink

Cast Bullets from the .338 work pretty well on small game....if you want to put it on the table. Though the 460 Weatherby has proven to be quite effective as well! wink memtb
Posted By: gunner500 Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/06/18

LOL, and all this coming from a man that choots rabbits with a 460 WBY MAG for fun. laugh
Originally Posted by SKane
Ibut hell, I've been drinking beer, grilling chicken and smoking Dominicans this morning, may have been shooting a bit comfortably numb, works done, I'm at the farm for the weekend, let er rip!

laugh laugh
Aiming fluid.

LMAO, damn right, it helps SKane, I also knew they'd be smoking and consuming chicken in D.C. yesterday, I wanted to be inline with that too. ; ]

I agree buddy.

X's 3 from here too men, it is a hell of a fine cartridge, if allowed/legal, I would have no problem smacking a big cape buffalo with it either.

I agree DD, the 338's recoil is slower and more well mannered than any of my 300 mags, it reminds me of the 'push' from 375 H&H's.
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

Those sound like nice rifles gunner, but they're practically BB guns compared to your 338-378 Wby.

… have thought about the 250 NPT's and 225 gr TTSX's as well, the Swift may not give up much to either as far as hunting, just a bit of trajectory and drift.

If you're getting 2,750 fps out of those 250 gr bullets, I assume you could get about 3,000 fps out of a 225 gr Accubond. You would be increasing both your velocity and your B.C. with a bullet tough and effective enough for anything on the continent. Not necessary, but seems like an ideal bullet for that gun.

True MH, but, that cannon could reduce me down to only having/needing one rifle for all hunting, I love to fill ALL the niches. grin Plus, I didn't need this Winchester at all, but damn, at 549 bucks shipped, I couldn't afford not to buy it, after the crown, it's going to be a fine, fine shooter, I can already feel it.
jealous, You’re very correct.....certainly “not” needed, if Whitetail and hogs are the biggest game on the docket! But, if you hunt a variety of large game, sometimes at extended ranges, AND want one rifle/caliber to do it all (I know....blasphemous).....the .338 WM, is pretty hard to beat! memtb

Agreed, I still love jump shooting pigs and deer with bigger cartridges, the penetration is going to be there regardless of angle, plus, when you get to Africa or out West hunting these rifles where they belong, they lay dead still in your hands from familiarity, and so does the game shortly after the shot! cool
True MH, but, that cannon could reduce me down to only having/needing one rifle for all hunting, I love to fill ALL the niches. grin Plus, I didn't need this Winchester at all, but damn, at 549 bucks shipped, I couldn't afford not to buy it, after the crown, it's going to be a fine, fine shooter, I can already feel it.

I hope the new one works well.

Good point, tour cannon, even if loaded with cast bullets, likely would vaporize the bunnies.

If you want to text me the pic of your rifle, I will post it, if you still have my number handy.
Thanks Buddy, I'll send one now. smile
Here is the pic:

[Linked Image]
Many Thanks MarineHawk, the Winchester fired the 4 shot group in the middle of the target, the old tackdriving Kimber on the low left, not too bad for 200 yards, was blessed to have no wind during that.

Right under the Winchesters barrel is the 100 yard gong, if you look slightly over it you can see the 2, 3, 4, and 500 yard gong is at the treeline up top, all the gongs appear to be the same size, I had them cut that way for Sharps rifle iron sight shooting.
No problem gunner. Looks like a sweet setup.

LOL, best part. is no range officers, worst part is having to run the damn cows outta the way sometimes ; ]

I agree DD, the 338's recoil is slower and more well mannered than any of my 300 mags, it reminds me of the 'push' from 375 H&H's.

Well guys, just try one in the 77 Tanger O G 'red pad'. shocked
It ain't like that!

Jerry

It ain't like that!

Jerry

LOL, damn JWall, I sold a 22" barreled tanger 77 in 338 to ProudDad right here at the fire, it was one of the most accurate, pleasant shooting 338's I've ever had/fired, gotta be something to do with body shape at work here.
Gunner

I'm serious............ I've shot 375 H H and have a BDL 8mm RM that shoots 220 gr bullets, 82 grs powder, vel 2900 + fps and

THAT tanger O G - hurt me every time I shot it. >>>>> GONE <<<<<

Jerry
BTW

I have a 70 Black Shadow 300 WM. It's the 5 th 300 WM I've owned. NONE of them kicked like that X/X/X/ OG red pad.

Jerry
laugh, if it don't fit, you must git rit.
BTW

I have a 70 Black Shadow 300 WM. It's the 5 th 300 WM I've owned. NONE of them kicked like that X/X/X/ OG red pad.

Jerry

My 300's, all but the old H&H, are speedy recoilers, kinda rude the way they punch ya, love em though.
I don't know WHAT it was about THAT rifle. ? ? ?

I've owned several Tanger Red Pads, even one 300 WM and none were like that one.

Jerry
Now, speaking of hard fast recoil with a half a ballcap fulla powder, my 505 Gibbs with 145 grs H-4831 under a 600 gr Woodleigh solid at 2450 fps is a pure MF'er! that bitch is rude!
I don't know WHAT it was about THAT rifle. ? ? ?

I've owned several Tanger Red Pads, even one 300 WM and none were like that one.

Jerry

10-4, BTDT on a few I couldn't explain either, nice we have checkbooks to remedy those difficulties ; ]
Posted By: ykrvak Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/06/18
I saw you snag that rifle and wondered what you’d do with it. My go to rifle for the past ten years or so has been a 22” M70 classic SS in a Mickey HTG. With 210TTSX’s it’s put a pile of meat on the ground and is really pleasant to shoot for a 338. I probably put 200-300 rounds a year though it on steel. It’s topped with a nxs 2.5-10x32 and consistently prints sub .75 4 shot groups. You’ve got a dandy rifle there. Almost wanted to buy it just to make another one for myself.
Originally Posted by ykrvak
I saw you snag that rifle and wondered what you’d do with it. My go to rifle for the past ten years or so has been a 22” M70 classic SS in a Mickey HTG. With 210TTSX’s it’s put a pile of meat on the ground and is really pleasant to shoot for a 338. I probably put 200-300 rounds a year though it on steel. It’s topped with a nxs 2.5-10x32 and consistently prints sub .75 4 shot groups. You’ve got a dandy rifle there. Almost wanted to buy it just to make another one for myself.

Thanks ykrvak, sounds like you have a nice one too, the minute I dropped this rifle in the painted stock and found a butler creek cap for the scope, I immediately thought of hunting Alaska, have a couple wraps of camo duct tape around the scope tube for the muzzle, I believe it would be right at home in the Great White North. smile
It certainly would be right at home here, but I’m sure you’ll find a use for it. 😉
You bet I will, a backup rifle for all conus game, or purpose carry rifle for bad weather, I've never hunted game in Alaska, but cant think of anything up there that would shake off a hit from those 250 gr A-Frames.
Those 250gr SAF should be sufficient medicine for just about anything that walks around on this side of the planet. I’ve been eyeing those 230gr eld x bullets. Might have to give those a whirl.

LOL, and all this coming from a man that choots rabbits with a 460 WBY MAG for fun. laugh

grin
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/07/18

I agree buddy.

Jerry

Wabbits. wink

Well of course. How's a native Nevadan supposed to argue with that... grin.. I used every damn thing I could think of for blasting jack rabbits in the high desert. From a model 29-2 44 magnum, to a 12 gauge with slugs. Those slugs really make a mess of things sick. Of course, most times I was packing my 30-06 and a shotgun and my 44 magnum on my side. Good ol days I tell ya... Not many jacks got away.. wink

LOL, best part. is no range officers, worst part is having to run the damn cows outta the way sometimes ; ]

Or honey, go grab the tractor, we got to butcher a cow pronto... Damn things walked in front of the target again.. grin

It ain't like that!

Jerry

BTDT. Didn't like it. Just like I hated a savage 110 300wm my buddy had. My arm and hand still go numb everytime I think about firing that damn thing!!!!!! eek Oh, it was an accurate sumbiotch, but I could only shoot it 3 times from the bench. I handed it back and said, "I'm done, you shoot it"..
Posted By: WAM Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/07/18
Not disputing the accuracy or effectiveness of the .338 Win, but an ‘80s Winchester M70 synthetic .338 Win was the worst kicking rifle I ever owned. Also could not get it to shoot better than 3” groups either. Happy Trails
Posted By: gunner500 Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/07/18
Originally Posted by ykrvak
Those 250gr SAF should be sufficient medicine for just about anything that walks around on this side of the planet. I’ve been eyeing those 230gr eld x bullets. Might have to give those a whirl.

10-4 ykrvak, bet those 230 gr eld-x's will smack tight on steel and ventilate caribou and deer for the freezers with ease.

grin

Can I get an AMEN from the back row? cool

Or honey, go grab the tractor, we got to butcher a cow pronto... Damn things walked in front of the target again.. grin

LOL, ironically enough, if you look to the top of the range pic MarineHawk posted, that's dew North, on over to the East another 500 yards is where I used to take cattle that had died and do my bullet testing, after testing, you can shoot coyotes off the dead cow for two damn weeks. grin
Originally Posted by WAM
Not disputing the accuracy or effectiveness of the .338 Win, but an ‘80s Winchester M70 synthetic .338 Win was the worst kicking rifle I ever owned. Also could not get it to shoot better than 3” groups either. Happy Trails

Dang WAM, wish you would have had better luck with that rifle, I just got lucky with this one, I believe four factors came into play with this new rifle, it definitely likes the 250 gr SAF's, Bud done a hell of a job with the files on that crown, Smith done a hell of a job pillar, and action bedding that Tupperware stock, as well as bedding the bottom metal, and ZERO wind. smile
Here is the pic:

[Linked Image]

Range pic TTT, camera didn't take for the "Black Rifle Challenge" thread. blush
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/07/18
AMEN!
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/07/18

It ain't like that!

Jerry

My Tanger 338 kicked like a mule till I put a real honest to God 1" recoil pad on it.
Who knows why Ruger put such lousy pads on their guns. Well, not the Americans, those pads are pretty good
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/07/18

I love mine too, I just don't get too carried away with shooting it either... I'll shoot a 5 shot group once a year, right before elk season and then put her away until elk season, then repeat again next year. grin

[Linked Image]

Is there a 338 that doesn't shoot the Hornady 225gr. Interlock Spire Point into nice tight groups? Granted I haven't tried all of the
338 bullets out there, but nothing is more consistently accurate in all four of my 338's
AMEN!

Thanks Neighbor! smile
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

[Linked Image]

Is there a 338 that doesn't shoot the Hornady 225gr. Interlock Spire Point into nice tight groups? Granted I haven't tried all of the
338 bullets out there, but nothing is more consistently accurate in all four of my 338's

Now that I think about it, all of mine liked that bullet. Must be a good match for the 338. Mine also love the 250gr. sierra game kings.
Did you ever smack an elk with those 225 Hornadys or the 250 Sierra? if so, how'd they hold up?
Posted By: ykrvak Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/07/18
Originally Posted by WAM

I’ve always found ditching the factory stock for one of much better fit and design has always made an enormous difference with felt recoil. I’m not a big guy compared to gunner500 at 5’9” 200lbs, but I have no discomfort running 30-40 rounds through my 338 prone in one session. Just my .02.
Did you ever smack an elk with those 225 Hornadys or the 250 Sierra? if so, how'd they hold up?

Yes, sierra's. My elk hunting partner only runs the sierra's in his 338 and it hammers elk. We get full penetration with the core, but sometimes find the jacket on the far side hide. They hold up well enough that it will smash through a shoulder and keep going.. Good enough for me. Keep in mind, I don't run my sierra's blazing hot though. My old Ruger m77 that I always used liked them around 2600 fps and the recoil wasn't bad at all, but it still hammered elk:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It had a pachmayr decelerator on it too, that helped tremendously to lessen the recoil..
Hell of a deal, that'll work BSA, nice addition on the pad, guess I shouldn't have any penetration concerns with elk angle presented should I drag my 338 out to the elk mountains loaded with the 250 Swifts at 2750. smile
Hell of a deal, that'll work BSA, nice addition on the pad, guess I shouldn't have any penetration concerns with elk angle presented should I drag my 338 out to the elk mountains loaded with the 250 Swifts at 2750. smile

Oh, you'll be plenty good with the A frame buddy. I was stuck on the sierra for a long time because of the success my hunting partner has had with them. They are also a sleek and accurate hunting pill, with plenty of weight. The bc's are actually pretty good. Not that I've ever needed to make a long shot on an elk where I hunt. The last bull I shot was 30 yards and closing, so I thought I'd put him out of his misery with the ol 06 and 200gr. partition. It definitely did the trick.. wink. Maybe I'll get a chance to use my 338wm with the 225gr. hornady this year. I've shot other critters with that pill and it usually holds together very well. However, I sent some to our friend scotty (who also loves the 338wm) to do some penetration and weight retention tests and the hornady didn't hold together as well as we had hoped. I think it lost half it's weight and didn't penetrate near as well as a good ol partition... The reason I started shooting the 225gr hornady in my new 338wm is because I had about 4-500 left from before and the rifle shoots them so well, it's hard to make a switch to something else. I also have a few hundred 250gr. sierra's laying around. The problem is I don't shoot my 338 enough to warrant going out and buying new bullets to try. Oh, yeah, I also have some 210 partitions I have been wanting to try in it as well, but just don't have the time lately...I guess the 210 is the chit in one of these 338's.
Nice, Thanks, I'm racking the memory banks and can only remember smacking deer with 200 gr SAF's from my old 300 H&H, nothing bigger, that goes without saying or concern, I never caught a bullet, sounds to me like you have too many bullets too test and too little time to hunt/get it done. grin

I've heard good things about the 210 NPT's too, shoot them from a 338-06 at 2800, and yes, they're rough plows on deer.
Posted By: Sheister Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/07/18
I shoot the 225 Hornadies, 225 Partitions, and the 225 Aframes in my .338's and they all shoot to the same POI . I trust the Aframes and Partitions a lot more than the Hornadies after a failure on a broadside elk and shoot the Partitions and Aframes pretty much exclusively on game and save the hornadies for practice sessions. The partitions and Aframes Hammer anything you hit with them, but the Aframes are bonded and hold together to punch through. In Africa, they worked perfectly and I was able to get the skinners to recover a couple bullets for me- perfect mushrooms every time. Partitions are designed to come apart, with the bottom part pushing through and the Partition forward opening up and doing huge damage. Both seem to take down game about equally but the Aframes are just so darned expensive I tend to save them for game shots only. And I have a pretty good stock of Partitions set aside.

Either way, I've been more than happy with my 338's. I did find replacing the stock on my Classic Stainless with a McMillan made a huge difference in comfort shooting at the bench. My Pre 64 custom has a custom wood stock and has always been very comfortable to shoot.

Bob
Posted By: jwall Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/07/18

It had a pachmayr decelerator on it too, that helped tremendously to lessen the recoil..

REALLY ! ! shocked

Well, DUH ! whistle
laugh

Jerry
Posted By: jwall Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/07/18
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

It ain't like that!

Jerry

My Tanger 338 kicked like a mule till I put a real honest to God 1" recoil pad on it.
Who knows why Ruger put such lousy pads on their guns.

Several guys here say the same thing.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Sheister
I shoot the 225 Hornadies, 225 Partitions, and the 225 Aframes in my .338's and they all shoot to the same POI . I trust the Aframes and Partitions a lot more than the Hornadies after a failure on a broadside elk and shoot the Partitions and Aframes pretty much exclusively on game and save the hornadies for practice sessions. The partitions and Aframes Hammer anything you hit with them, but the Aframes are bonded and hold together to punch through. In Africa, they worked perfectly and I was able to get the skinners to recover a couple bullets for me- perfect mushrooms every time. Partitions are designed to come apart, with the bottom part pushing through and the Partition forward opening up and doing huge damage. Both seem to take down game about equally but the Aframes are just so darned expensive I tend to save them for game shots only. And I have a pretty good stock of Partitions set aside.

Either way, I've been more than happy with my 338's. I did find replacing the stock on my Classic Stainless with a McMillan made a huge difference in comfort shooting at the bench. My Pre 64 custom has a custom wood stock and has always been very comfortable to shoot.

Bob

Good to hear all that, Thanks Bob, using the 250 SAF's in my rifles should give even a bit more penetration, I keep thinking, Eland, Zebra and another big old tough Blue Wildebeest bull. smile
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/07/18

It ain't like that!

Jerry

BTDT. Didn't like it. Just like I hated a savage 110 300wm my buddy had. My arm and hand still go numb everytime I think about firing that damn thing!!!!!! eek Oh, it was an accurate sumbiotch, but I could only shoot it 3 times from the bench. I handed it back and said, "I'm done, you shoot it"..

You had one too? I had nightmares about 300 anything after owning one of those. it took 25 years to get over it .
Posted By: jwall Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/08/18
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

It ain't like that!

Jerry

You had one too? I had nightmares about 300 anything after owning one of those. it took 25 years to get over it .

laugh laugh Yeah we are NOT alone. grin
Posted By: tzone Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/08/18

laugh
Posted By: JPro Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/08/18
I shot my 9lb+ 22" tanger .338 yesterday (with 1" Limbsaver). It's a peach with 185's at 2,700fps, but certainly more noticeable with 210's at 2,850. Still, it isn't a sharp hit. My dad was shooting his 700LSS .338 with 200's at 2,850 (wearing a 1/2" Decelerator) and he was not really enjoying it.....lol. He'd shoot a couple rounds and then rub his shoulder, grumbling "dammmmmmmnnnnnnn.....". I don't think it fits him very well, but he loves the rifle and how it shoots/kills.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/08/18

It ain't like that!

Jerry

Yep. I gave a boat paddle stock 300wm to my dad. He thinks I hate him grin..he never uses it. Still looks like new. I just don't care for the recoil impulse of that cartridge. I agree though. The savage 110 was the worst!!!
Originally Posted by tzone

laugh

Spit my coffee out on that one. Good chit man grin
Originally Posted by JPro
I shot my 9lb+ 22" tanger .338 yesterday (with 1" Limbsaver). It's a peach with 185's at 2,700fps, but certainly more noticeable with 210's at 2,850. Still, it isn't a sharp hit. My dad was shooting his 700LSS .338 with 200's at 2,850 (wearing a 1/2" Decelerator) and he was not really enjoying it.....lol. He'd shoot a couple rounds and then rub his shoulder, grumbling "dammmmmmmnnnnnnn.....". I don't think it fits him very well, but he loves the rifle and how it shoots/kills.

You should put a 1" decelerator on it for the poor guy.
Posted By: Sheister Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/08/18

It ain't like that!

Jerry

Yep. I gave a boat paddle stock 300wm to my dad. He thinks I hate him grin..he never uses it. Still looks like new. I just don't care for the recoil impulse of that cartridge. I agree though. The savage 110 was the worst!!!

Yup, those Ruger boat paddles are right up there with the worst stocks ever designed. Luckily, a new stock is only a Visa number or personal check away.....
Posted By: JGray Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/08/18

Good shooting, nice looking rifles and a fine cartridge! I shot my first elk with a M70 Supergrade 338 WM and the 225 Hornady and it worked great (heavy racked 5x5). First shot was broadside behind the shoulder at around 120 yards. He was dead on his feet and just standing there so put a second one in the near shoulder to drop him and he went straight down and never took a step. First shot was a pass through and the second broke the shoulder and deflected up the neck on the off side. Found the bullet under the hide intact and perfectly mushroomed after breaking the shoulder and going through a lot of bone and neck. 60-some % weight retention as I recall - I still have the bullet somewhere and will see if I can find it...
Posted By: 79S Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/08/18

It ain't like that!

Jerry

I will take a 338 win mag all day long over a 300 win mag.. off topic but I had a 721 in a 270 many yrs ago and good god talk about going crossed eyed after shooting it, with 150's. Still had the old steel but plate etc..
Posted By: gunner500 Re: A tale of two 338's - 10/08/18
Originally Posted by JPro

LOL, git yo pappy a pad for that thing J. smile
Originally Posted by tzone

laugh

Spit my coffee out on that one. Good chit man grin

laughlaughlaugh
Originally Posted by JGray

Good shooting, nice looking rifles and a fine cartridge! I shot my first elk with a M70 Supergrade 338 WM and the 225 Hornady and it worked great (heavy racked 5x5). First shot was broadside behind the shoulder at around 120 yards. He was dead on his feet and just standing there so put a second one in the near shoulder to drop him and he went straight down and never took a step. First shot was a pass through and the second broke the shoulder and deflected up the neck on the off side. Found the bullet under the hide intact and perfectly mushroomed after breaking the shoulder and going through a lot of bone and neck. 60-some % weight retention as I recall - I still have the bullet somewhere and will see if I can find it...

Good to hear about those lighter cup and cores working so well JGray, gives me more faith in the heavier SAF's. cool
© 24hourcampfire