Home
Who has bought these? TLW knockoffs but made out of a stronger alloy and appear more robust. Thoughts?
Nice OE!...I wasn't even aware of these but I went to the Leupold site and looked them over. It looks like Leupold has done Talley one better, I like the sculpted look of the Back Country ringmounts better and they look a little more beefy than a Talley LW but Leupold is damn proud of em! 😁....That being said if they eventually offer them for the Kimber 8400 or Tikka T3 in low height I will buy a set....Hb
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Who has bought these? TLW knockoffs but made out of a stronger alloy and appear more robust. Thoughts?

Unless I were after a specific look on a blued/walnut rifle, I really can't see the Backcountry's offer anything Talley's already offer at less cost, with more height's and finishes, and without another friggin Leupold logo.

As to the 7075-T6 Aluminum the Leupold's are made of, the Talley's are also made of an unspecified 7000 series aluminum. I doubt the Leupold's are any stronger in reality.
They are definitely more attractive than the Talley's and they are machined, rather than extrusions. I see them for $85, so that is a decent price considering the more expensive production methods.

I will have to give them a try.
Originally Posted by ChetAF
They are definitely more attractive than the Talley's and they are machined, rather than extrusions. I see them for $85, so that is a decent price considering the more expensive production methods.

I missed the machined part. Good catch. Since that is the case they are a indeed a different animal, and worth the price. And they are better looking...

I saw that as well Chet. They look a whole sight better to me than Talleys. Not a bad price either. Might have to give them a shot. Do they make them for the Barrett?
Not that I can see. Does the Barrett use M700 mounts? If so, I could just punch the holes out to 8x40 to accommodate the Barrett.

I may order a set to try on one of my Simillion M70's.

They are also offering machined 7075 cross-slot rings under the Back Country name.
They look pretty dang good to me.
Originally Posted by Brad

Unless I were after a specific look on a blued/walnut rifle, I really can't see the Backcountry's offer anything Talley's already offer at less cost, with more height's and finishes, and without another friggin Leupold logo.

As to the 7075-T6 Aluminum the Leupold's are made of, the Talley's are also made of an unspecified 7000 series aluminum. I doubt the Leupold's are any stronger in reality.

Talleys are 6061. I am going to have to try them out on My M70 LA

Talley's website says 7000 series aluminum.

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/Products/Lightweight-Alloy-Scope-Mount.aspx

Talley's website says 7000 series aluminum.

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/Products/Lightweight-Alloy-Scope-Mount.aspx

They changed it , they used to be 6061

Gotchya... any idea when they did?

I was looking at DNZ rings which are 7075 and I remembered the alloy on the talleys being lesser at that time. Timeline not sure. I would have to call Talley to confirm that.
Anybody know what they mean by 'RVR' on the Winchester rings?

https://www.leupold.com/scope-mounts/backcountry-winchester-70-rvr-2-pc-1-med-matte

I was looking at DNZ rings which are 7075 and I remembered the alloy on the talleys being lesser at that time. Timeline not sure. I would have to call Talley to confirm that.

Thank you sir!

https://www.leupold.com/scope-mounts/backcountry-winchester-70-rvr-2-pc-1-med-matte

Reversible?

Reversible?

Yep, that would be my guess......Hb
Looks like medium and high only?
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

They have only recently made them available for anything except a Remington or Browning Abolt. I would give them time

Vice versa, Oldelkhunter. Nothing "wrong" with 6061, costs less, but the item will be designed a bit bulkier to make up for strength (e.g. a DNZ). 7075 is a bit finer, and can be manufactured a bit daintier with comparable strength. Does cost more, however.

While am skeptical talley's or melvins where ever made of 6061, but I wasn't there, don't know. I do know, every DNZ I've ever seen is 6061, and, to wit on their FAQ:

"Question – What type of material is used? Answer – All of our scope mounts are machined from a solid block of billet 6061T6 Aluminum."

None the less, I'd like to give the leupolds a whirl. Need to see what their medium's height is, though. Would prefer a low.
Well, been using Talley Lwt's since at least 2004 with never a problem, so can't find any reason to believe 6061 doesn't work, and work well.
Nice
That is probably it. May be a moot point at the moment, no place seems to have them yet.
I like the way they look, I wish they made them in SS and CM as well. Design is very robust.
I wish they made them in SS

Pretty inexpensive to have them bead blasted.

Yes. Looking at the rings Echols puts on his rifle which look fantastic

Would also remove the Leupold logo which is a plus grin

Would also remove the Leupold logo which is a plus grin

Yes!
I’m going to wait till stick throws a few sets off a cliff and gives us his full approval grin
I like the Talley rings and bases. I don’t know what they are made of. If you sell rifle all you need are new bases.

[Linked Image]
I’m going to wait till stick throws a few sets off a cliff and gives us his full approval grin

Lol
Nice looking.
Very nice looking stuff.

I know--why would they not offer low rings? I wonder what the height is on the mediums?
Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a set from Optics Planet. I like Leupold stuffxz and 270 Winchesters!
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I know--why would they not offer low rings? I wonder what the height is on the mediums?

Maybe for the initial offerings they are catering to the big objective crowd ?
Originally Posted by Switch
Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a set from Optics Planet. I like Leupold stuffxz and 270 Winchesters!

Let us know how they look and work.

Reversible rear
As a big fan of Talleys these are definitely intriguing to me with a bit of a more refined look and similar design. Unfortunately if they don't eventually offer them in low height I will probably never own a set.
Originally Posted by tzone

Reversible rear

I don't see how there has to be a special designation for reversible. IIRC either ring can face either direction when it comes to Talleys.
Originally Posted by snowboardguy
As a big fan of Talleys these are definitely intriguing to me with a bit of a more refined look and similar design. Unfortunately if they don't eventually offer them in low height I will probably never own a set.

That's the boat I'm in, low, maybe even xlow. Would like to see them produce a Fieldcraft version.

They have been on the market unadvertised for a few months if that. I am sure they will have more to offer as time goes on.
It's pretty lame Leupold doesn't give exact heights (base to bottom of ring, or to center of ring) in order to ascertain actual specs.

Count me out too unless they can get a low or better yet an x-low version made.

I think they're very nice looking, but useless to me as a Medium given what is generally accepted as "medium" sans addt'l information.
It's pretty lame Leupold doesn't give exact heights (base to bottom of ring, or to center of ring) in order to ascertain actual specs.

Count me out too unless they can get a low or better yet an x-low version made.

I think they're very nice looking, but useless to me as a Medium given what is generally accepted as "medium" sans addt'l information.

They have heights for everything else except those. They have some work to do on their website , it is really poor
They are definitely more attractive than the Talley's and they are machined, rather than extrusions. I see them for $85,
so that is a decent price considering the more expensive production methods.

Talleys are machined from extruded alloy....highly likely Leup. also machine those rings from extruded 7075.

DNZ states it uses '7075 billet', which I gather would be an extrusion.

From my time in aerospace machineshops, components were manufactured from 7075 extruded stock.

some technical trivia: 7075-T6

7 indicates that Zinc is the principal alloying element
0 means there are no modifications
75 identifies the alloy in 7xxx series.
T6- indicates the alloy has been solution heat treated and artificially aged.

..., the Talley's are also made of an unspecified 7000 series aluminum. I doubt the Leupold's are any stronger in reality.

7001, 7003, 7004, 7005, 7029, 7046, 7050, 7075, 7079, 7116, 7129, 7146, 7178

7xxx series alloys are the strongest
lower end 7xxx (eg;7004) has significantly less tensile and yield than 7075.

now people don't panic... the old 6061-T6 is a good alloy and still used in aviation and variety of high quality sporting goods.
its tensile and yield strengths can be like half that of 7075-T6.

7xxx series Yield strength can generally vary from 150 - 625 MPa.
Tensile strength can vary from 195- 620 MPa.
7001, 7050* and 7075* are used in high strength aircraft structures (*and hydraulic fittings).

an example of 7075
http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=ma7075t6
I called Leupold today and spoke to their customer service rep. The rings are so new they are in short supply right now. They plan on more sizes and heights to be introduced. I also told him their website needs to have ring height measurements added since they have it for everything else.
I asked on their website for the COO. Looking good and they aughta offer them in all heights and cants too!
The height of the front Backcountry Mount for the Remington 700 is .974" to the Center of the ring. To the bottom of the ring (.974" - 15mm) is appx .384"....medium
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I asked on their website for the COO. Looking good and they aughta offer them in all heights and cants too!

If they put 15 MOA on the things they'll move a pile. I can't tell you how many fellas wanted "16 Bore" Talley's done that way.
They are listed to be 25moa at RedHawk...is that right ?
Hell, I never knew anyone was doing one piece canted rings until went to their website. I could do without the level.
Originally Posted by 16bore
Hell, I never knew anyone was doing one piece canted rings until went to their website. I could do without the level.

I assumed they were 0 MOA, according to Leupolds site...Brownells has them for $72
I thought the canted ones were Stillar?
Hawkin hybrid ?
https://redhawkrifles.com/products/...wkins-precision/long-range-hybrid-30mm-0

Funny but true.
Ok, I got solid numbers from Leupold today.

30mm BackCountry-Rem 700
Med= .99" bottom to middle of ring
High= 1.14" bottom to middle of ring

Hope that helps those interested, they are on-line for about $72

Edit: Fixed typo
If they make a pair for the Fieldcraft that is lower than talley's.... they will have a hit!

Woah, that level is funky but they're onto something good if they'd make them low and canted.
Originally Posted by Starman
They are definitely more attractive than the Talley's and they are machined, rather than extrusions. I see them for $85,

Talleys are machined from extruded alloy....highly likely Leup. also machine those rings from extruded 7075.

From my time in aerospace machineshops, components were manufactured from 7075 extruded stock.

T6- indicates the alloy has been solution heat treated and artificially aged.

..., the Talley's are also made of an unspecified 7000 series aluminum. I doubt the Leupold's are any stronger in reality.

now people don't panic... the old 6061-T6 is a good alloy and still used in aviation and variety of high quality sporting goods.

7001, 7050* and 7075* are used in high strength aircraft structures (*and hydraulic fittings).

an example of 7075

Good info. Thanks.

I first ran into that business about heat treating aluminum while exploring the Hawke scopes. Never knew that before.

While we're at it, can't a "billet" be made by forging, casting, rolling, etc, besides by extrusion?
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

30mm BackCountry-Rem 700

Can someone confirm, the Leupy Medium is about the same height as Talley Lows ?
Originally Posted by Starman

From my time in aerospace machineshops, components were manufactured from 7075 extruded stock which would be 7075-T6510 or 7075-T6511.

T6- indicates the alloy has been solution heat treated and artificially aged without any significant cold working (strain hardening).

Interesting....a reported higher maximum yield strength than the maximum reported tensile strength. From a mechanics of materials perspective that's a challenging design hurdle.

an example of 7075

Made in the USA. Per Leupy.
Made in the USA. Per Leupy.

Machined, not cast also.
Has anyone actually seen/received these Backcountry mounts yet ?

As soon as I decide between a Zeiss Conquest V4 or a Nightforce SHV.

I can't find the low 30mm anywhere, called Leupold and they said Midway...they are out of stock, no status for restock.

I'm about to go DNZ if they don't show up soon.

I can't find the low 30mm anywhere, called Leupold and they said Midway...they are out of stock, no status for restock.

DNZ sucks

DNZ sucks

Oh, well shiit...I thought everyone spoke highly of them.

DNZ sucks

Oh, well shiit...I thought everyone spoke highly of them.

hey used to make a decent product and without pasting images of the same scope mounted on 2 different rifles with 2 different dnz bases , the difference in tolerances was ridiculous. One fit fine the other was so far out of spec not worth discussing. I sent it back to them and they said they were in spec. They said the Zeiss was out of spec.
I see the 1" rings are in stock at Brownells & Midway for those interested,,,no 30mm's yet that I see.

30mm BackCountry-Rem 700

Just wondering if this was ever answered?

30mm BackCountry-Rem 700

They are identical in height

Talley low height .400" + .590"(30mm x .50) = .99"

DNZ sucks

Why do you say that?

Nvm...I found your answer.

30mm BackCountry-Rem 700

They are identical in height

Talley low height .400" + .590"(30mm x .50) = .99"

That makes things much more interesting.

Thanks!
I received the new Backcountry mounts in Medium, very nicely made,,much better than Talley's in my opinion. They are machined and heavy anodized type finish.

Unfortunately the mediums are too low for my scope, and the bolt handle is too close...going up for sale.
I received the new Backcountry mounts in Medium, very nicely made,,much better than Talley's in my opinion. They are machined and heavy anodized type finish.

Unfortunately the mediums are too low for my scope, and the bolt handle is too close...going up for sale.

Just send them back
Does anybody know if the Leupold mediums are lower or higher than the Talley LW lows in the 1" mounts for M700's?

Rifle and scope?

Rifle and scope?

Yep, the ringmounts will connect them. grin

Rifle and scope?

Just the mounts lol, need a set of high's in this style...1.14 to center on 30mm

Rifle and scope?

Yep, the ringmounts will connect them. grin

lol !!
Hardy har har......

Was curious as to the what rifle and scope setup was "too low" for the mounts.

Ya big sillies...
Hardy har har......

Ya big sillies...

+1
Hardy har har......

Ya big sillies...

Sorry I thought you were joking smile

Rem 700 LA, VX6 2-12X42...Leupold Backcountry 30mm medium height=Talley lows
Hardy har har......

Ya big sillies...

I thought one could get by with the low on a 42mm scope ...So I would need highs for a 44mm Vx5HD
That is really curious. I have a 700 ks mag with that exact setup using talley lw lows and it is perfect. Maybe backcountry medium ≠ talley low?
Hardy har har......

Ya big sillies...

I thought one could get by with the low on a 42mm scope ...So I would need highs for a 44mm Vx5HD

Correct, Backcountry doesn't have a Low available yet,,,just med & high...the Med is= Talley low

EDIT: Correcting my original post, Rem 700 SA not Rem 700 LA,,,sorry for the confusion.
© 24hourcampfire