Home
Looking to purchase another short-action rifle in the near future and I'm undecided between the 6.5 Creedmoor or the 7mm-08. The platform will be a Tikka SL or the Barrett FC; will probably go with the Barrett based on barrel twist and 3" mag box. The rifle will primarily be used for whitetail with shots being 500 yards or less.

I will be hand-loading for whichever caliber I purchase, but based on the ballistics at the Federal Ammo site, the 7mm-08 can do everything the Creedmoor does and better. What am I missing? Why is the Creedmoor so popular.....why would I purchase a 6.5 Creed over a 7/08?

Enlighten me.
Go find a 7mm bullet with the BC of a 123 to 139 grain 6.5 mm .... the weight will be up in the 160+ range which puts you at a lower FPS... and it’s a longer bullet so finding a factory rifle with the twist rate to spin it is harder.

I.e. - when the Creed chamber spec was written they spec’s faster twist for longer bullets, and shortened the brass for better seating depth of the opt. Bullet.

Most yahoo’s hunt under 300 anyway so that wouldn’t matter... when you get 600 is sure the heck matters.
The .260 Rem is also a strong contender here.....I dont get the 6.5 Creed craze, with all the hoopla Many think this cartridge is the best thing since sliced bread.....I dont see where it is head and shoulders above everything else....Maybe as a long range target shooting cartridge its great but for long range hunting I want a bullet that hits with more energy than the little Creed, ill take My .300 Win or WSM anyday.......Hb
Could somebody please show the new world records the creedmoor has set. Ed k
I think the first step in your education is the spelling of the cartridge. It’s “Creedmoor.”
Have popcorn, will munch.

Carry on,

DD
I don't usually get into this stuff but here it is. I am not sure the Creedmoor is better than any other cartridge for whatever application. What I can say is this I have hunted with both the Creedmoor and it's predecessor the 6.5X55 for most of my life. I came upon the 6.5 back in the 1980's and it did all I needed and then some in the Eastern woods. Moved to the great west and it still did all I needed. It is a flat shooter, accuracy is exemplary, doesn't beat you up, penetrates very effectively, and from my experience kills stuff dead quickly and efficiently. I have tried lots of other calibers over the years both hunting and punching paper and yet when it comes time to head to the woods more often than not (18 out of the last 20 years) I carry a 6.5 caliber rifle. Even bargain rifles (Ruger American) shoot the Creed awfully well with factory ammunition. I just seems like they got everything right.
Originally Posted by BMR
I think the first step in your education is the spelling of the cartridge. It’s “Creedmoor.”

Mission accomplished.
Why ask questions when you apparently have all the "answers"?
Out to 500-600 yards the best 7-08 and 308 loads will basically do anything the 6.5 CM does. The trajectory and energy numbers are very close. But you have to load the 7/08 with 160+ gr bullets and the 308 with 175-180 gr high BC bullets to do what the CM does with 140-147 gr bullets. Penetration on game is virtually the same with those bullet weights, but the 6.5 does it with less recoil. Closer to 243 than 308. And most people find the 6.5 to be a bit more accurate in production rifles.

Once you get beyond 500-600 yards the 6.5 pulls away. I know most hunters don't shoot that far, but the 7-08, nor 308 don't do anything better than the 6.5 at any range.

I bought a cheap Ruger in 6.5 just to try the round and it lives up to the hype. But I'm heavily invested in 308 with several rifles that I like. I've spent time and money developing loads that shoot well. At this point in my life I'm not selling the 308's and replacing them with 6.5's. But if I were advising someone who was debating between 308, 7-08 and 6.5 CM to go 6.5 and run with it.
All cartridges are equal inside 500 yards... especially on WT deer.
For killing stuff out to 500 yards, I’ll stick with my 257 Wby and 120 gr partitions. Lots of stuff will work but if I was going any larger than 25 caliber, I’d go with the 338 Ultra. With a 180 gr Accubond, it has the same trajectory as the Weatherby.

Sighted at 200 yards :

5 inches low at 300

15 inches low at 400

30 inches low at 500
Originally Posted by curdog4570
For killing stuff out to 500 yards, I’ll stick with my 257 Wby and 120 gr partitions. Lots of stuff will work but if I was going any larger than 25 caliber, I’d go with the 338 Ultra. With a 180 gr Accubond, it has the same trajectory as the Weatherby.

Sighted at 200 yards :

5 inches low at 300

15 inches low at 400

30 inches low at 500

And with dots or a turret none of that means all that much. Unless you just like recoil...
texas deer must be badassses to need those cannons....
Originally Posted by huntsman22
texas deer must be badassses to need those cannons....

You KNOW they are... they're from Texas.
I guess I'm the odball Texan. The older I get, the more I like reduced recoil. The 7/08 and 6.5 CM really turn my crank.
Originally Posted by Brad

Pretty much this in a nutshell. Mix them all together and you get 140 grains of something with about a .450 BC going 2,900 FPS.

Saw some 6.5CM 140 gr Corlokts today at Dick's for $15.99, so id say it's here to stay. Ha!
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
The .260 Rem is also a strong contender here.....I dont get the 6.5 Creed craze, with all the hoopla Many think this cartridge is the best thing since sliced bread.....I dont see where it is head and shoulders above everything else....Maybe as a long range target shooting cartridge its great but for long range hunting I want a bullet that hits with more energy than the little Creed, ill take My .300 Win or WSM anyday.......Hb

For whatever reason, the 6.5 Creed got real popular, that’s the only reason I would pick one over a 260rem. So many rifle options and factory ammo options available that it’s hard to justify buying a 260rem over the Creedmoor. Same performance but more options.

For as far as I’ll be shooting big game it doesn’t matter if it’s a 300wsm or a Creedmoor.
Originally Posted by 16bore

Pretty much this in a nutshell. Mix them all together and you get 140 grains of something with about a .450 BC going 2,900 FPS.

Saw some 6.5CM 140 gr Corlokts today at Dick's for $15.99, so id say it's here to stay. Ha!

Thats right, and it will stay the flavor of the month until the next "greatest" cartridge comes along that dont do nothin better than cartridges we already have....whatever floats your boat........Hb
It's so funny you idiots still consider it a flavor....its a successful chambering that doesn't need any aproval. Yes a 300 win mag is much better for a Virginia deer.....laffin

Thats right, and it will stay the flavor of the month until the next "greatest" cartridge comes along that dont do nothin better than cartridges we already have.....lmao....Hb

Like that new fangled 270.....

I ain't looking for a new rig, but I'd get a 6.5CM if I was. Unless some sucker was giving away a 308,270, or 30-06 because he thought the 6.5CM would add 15 yards to his drive and give him a 4 hour erection.
Originally Posted by Kaleb
It's so funny you idiots still consider it a flavor....its a successful chambering that doesn't need any aproval. Yes a 300 win mag is much better for a Virginia deer.....laffin

Your very right, and its better for Kentucky deer, its even better for coyotes.....grin......Hb
If I could have only one short-action cartridge of 6mm or more, it would be the 6.5CM. Pretty useful tool.

As it stands I have bolts in a .243 Win, .257 Roberts and .308. A 6.5 CM would easily replace them all in terms of functionality.
Avoid the small primer version cases for hunting.. smile

Post up some evidence of your successes with the Creedmoor. You aren't any better than the people you criticise when you hide behind a computer somewhere in Arkansas.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
If I could have only one short-action cartridge of 6mm or more, it would be the 6.5CM. Pretty useful tool.

As it stands I have bolts in a .243 Win, .257 Roberts and .308. A 6.5 CM would easily replace them all in terms of functionality.

This makes sense. I wish there was a factory chambered 6.5cm that interested me at a price point I could justify.

Thought of this video when I read your post:

6.5mm Cartridges
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

Thought of this video when I read your post:

6.5mm Cartridges

That was a good video. Spomer is one of the few writers I really like and message is spot-on.
Starting from scratch a 6.5 Creedmoor makes sense.

The perfect cartridge for most big game hunting.

And LR target shooting.

That said I don't shoot or hunt enough to justify trading in my 270's on 6.5's.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Post up some evidence of your successes with the Creedmoor. You aren't any better than the people you criticise when you hide behind a computer somewhere in Arkansas.

The success of the 6.5 Creed isn't dependent on what Kaleb has done with it, but it's telling that you think it does.
Wow! Nice video Whelen, I wish i knew how to post links to youtube videos, if you dont mind post a link to Randy Selbys youtube video titled "poor cartridges for long range hunting" ..Let's see what he has to say about long range hunting cartridges....I am no expert on long range hunting and never will be but this dude seems to be the real deal.....I do know with my .300 Magnum cartridges and Barnes TTSX bullets I can kill the 250lb + Northern Woodland Whitetails I hunt at any shot angle I may be presented with, this is something I would never try with lesser cartridges... The antler size bucks I hunt are very rare and IF/WHEN your lucky enough see one your not likely going to be presented with a perfect broadside shot where a .223 Rem might do the job.....What's the old adage? " I dont want a cartridge that kills when I make a perfect shot, I want a cartridge that kills"......Hb
Wow! Nice video Whelen, I wish i knew how to post links to youtube videos, if you dont mind post a link to Randy Selbys youtube video titled "poor cartridges for long range hunting" ..Let's see what he has to say about long range hunting cartridges....I am no expert on long range hunting and never will be but this dude seems to be the real deal.....I do know with my .300 Magnum cartridges and Barnes TTSX bullets I can kill the 250lb + Northern Woodland Whitetails I hunt at any shot angle I may be presented with, this is something I would never try with lesser cartridges... The antler size bucks I hunt are very rare and IF/WHEN your lucky enough see one your not likely going to be presented with a perfect broadside shot where a .223 Rem might do the job.....What's the old adage? " I dont want a cartridge that kills when I make a perfect shot, I want a cartridge that kills"......Hb

So, Chuck Hawkes has a Youtube channel now?
I hope he makes better rifles than he does videos...
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The success of the 6.5 Creed isn't dependent on what Kaleb has done with it, but it's telling that you think it does.

This chit is never not funny... As old as it gets, it's still quite comical... I think I'll grab me some popcorn as well....
Cool, thanks Higbean, I liked that old dudes video.....I just looked over Hornadys factory ballistics chart and compared the energy rating of the 6.5 Creed with 143 grain ELD-X ( 1302 ft/pd @500yds) to the Hornady factory .300 Win 200 grain ELD-X (2033 ft/pd @500 yds) or the .300 Win 180 gr GMX (1858 ft/pd @500yds) thats at least 550 ft pounds more energy...so what is Spoomer refering to here? Is Hornady paying him to push their 6.5 Creed maybe?......Or is he refering to energys at even further distances than 500 yds that are not listed?.......Hb
Trickery!

Can't say I agree with your assessment of the guy in the video above. My impression is closer to Higbean's.

No long range hunter myself, but I've seen enough good reports to believe a 6.5 is pretty well suited for it, in the right hands.

Regarding "Northern Woodland Whitetails" that's what I've been hunting in Wisconsin my whole life and as long as the right bullet was used I haven't had to turn down shots with 270, 7-08, 308, 30-06, 7RM, and probably others I'm forgetting about. Won't criticize the 300WM for this, but I sure don't believe it is needed.

IMO Brad pretty much nailed it: "All cartridges are equal inside 500 yards... especially on WT deer."
Cool, thanks Higbean, I liked that old dudes video.....I just looked over Hornadys factory ballistics chart and compared the energy rating of the 6.5 Creed with 143 grain ELD-X ( 1302 ft pds @500yds) to the Hornady factory .300 Win 200 grain ELD-X (2033 ft pds @500 yds) or the .300 Win 180 gr GMX (1858 ft pds @500yds) thats at least 550 ft pounds more energy...so what is Spoomer refering to here? Is Hornady paying him to push their 6.5 Creed maybe?......Or is he refering to energys at even further distances than 500 yds that are not listed?.......Hb

Rewatch the video.
Ft pds?

Hahaha....
Good deal, you have hunted those same big bodied bucks for more years than I have. I Know the 30-06 is an excellent cartridge for this purpose, but i love the few hundred fps gain i get with the .300 Win shooting the same bullets.....As far as long range goes i have no experience shooting at big game over 300 yds (400+ yds on groundhogs ...lol) but common sense says 500yd plus shots at game is gettin iffy and even irresponsible for the shooting skills of most hunters.....and that certainly includes Me......Hb
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Have popcorn, will munch.

Carry on,

DD

Mind if I pull a chair? I've got a box of Whoppers, some Nerds and snuck a couple beers in too and I'll share...Oh, plus I can neither confirm nor deny that a flask of bourbon may or may not be stashed in my back pocket.
Good deal, you have hunted those same big bodied bucks for more years than I have. I Know the 30-06 is an excellent cartridge for this purpose, but i love the few hundred fps gain i get with the .300 Win shooting the same bullets.....As far as long range goes i have no experience shooting at big game over 300 yds (400+ yds on groundhogs ...lol) but common sense says 500yd plus shots at game is gettin iffy and even irresponsible for the shooting skills of most hunters.....and that certainly includes Me......Hb

VA . . . I understand. Beyond my skills as well, and I don't have access to a range that allows me to reach that skill level.

But others obviously do, and see benefits to LOTS of practice with a 6.5 rather than a 300WM.

I won't argue with their choice. Seems practical to me.

IMO the Creedmoor success is due to:
1) great high BC 6.5 bullets
2) a wide array of available rifles in all price ranges, twisted properly for the high BC 6.5 bullets
3) a case that fits well in a 2.8-ish inch magazine
4) a lot of high-quality, accurate, low-cost factory ammo

Beyond that, low recoil allows some hunters to practice enough to regularly make those (amazing to me) long range shots.
You must have been in a cave for the last 2 years if you need education on the 6.5 Creedmoor.

VA . . . I understand. Beyond my skills as well, and I don't have access to a range that allows me to reach that skill level.

But others obviously do, and see benefits to LOTS of practice with a 6.5 rather than a 300WM.

2) a wide array of available rifles in all price ranges, twisted properly for the high BC 6.5 bullets

Beyond that, low recoil allows some hunters to practice enough to regularly make those (amazing to me) long range shots.
I agree, all of your points are valid, the 6.5 Creed is an excellent long range target cartridge BUT I dont think its so much better a cartridge as to have some shooters shouting from the rooftops that its the cartridge to end all cartridges......All the hoopla is getting a little old.....Hb
Ft pds?

Hahaha....

Lol....i fixed it, thanks for posting the youtube video.......Hb
The only guys you ever see carrying .300 mags around here are greenhorns from NYC/Long Island/ New Jersey. They seem to think deer are 800 lbs and nearly bullet proof. The third biggest buck I've killed weighed 172 dressed and fell to one 50 gr. sp. from a .222 through the lungs. The 6.5 CM is more than enough for the biggest whitetail that ever lived.
Don't like it, don't shoot it... It's that simple. Why the need to whine about it?

Originally Posted by Blackheart
The only guys you ever see carrying .300 mags around here are greenhorns from NYC/Long Island/ New Jersey. They seem to think deer are 800 lbs and nearly bullet proof. The third biggest buck I've killed weighed 172 dressed and fell to one 50 gr. sp. from a .222 through the lungs. The 6.5 CM is more than enough for the biggest whitetail that ever lived.

I get a kick out of people who carry a 300 Mag for Whitetailed deer. You have to wonder what they're compensating for? But if they're under 5'10" then I automatically know what it's for.

You’re missing an important point on your list imo.
5) a rifle built to get the most out of the CM. Chamber, barrel length, twist rate...the manufacturers seem to be doing it correctly, right out of the gate for this one.

You naked a biggie too. Recoil make it soooo nice to practice with.
I get a kick outta guys who get a kick outta guys that don't need permission to like what they like.
If folks are killing deer effectively and efficiently in an ethical manner, passing on the tradition to the next generation and being good stewards of the habitat, who gives a [bleep] what cartridge they're using. Inside 500yds there is not enough difference in effectiveness to argue about. Dead animals is dead animals.
Originally Posted by Mike74I get a kick out of people who carry a 300 Mag for Whitetailed deer. You have to wonder what they're compensating for?[/quote

[quote=VaHillbilly] the (lack of)shooting skills of most hunters.....and that certainly includes Me......Hb

this.
The ballistic ignorance is thick on this thread.

Why are people so offended by a cartridge??? Hahaha..... well all I know is my 300mag can beat up your 6.5 Creedmoor.......

Shooting northern whitetail??? That’s a southern deer as far as I’m concerned being that I live in northern Alberta. I shot a buck broadside in the front shoulder with the all might 300wsm and a ttsx, that buck got away. My son shot a buck in the ribs broadside with a 243 and it dropped within 50yds. Both deer were at 400yds.

I laugh every time I hear the 6.5 compared to a 300 magnum or every time I hear an uneducated hunter who thinks a headstamp will magically kill critters.
Three or four of you guys made really good points and I appreciate the intelligent responses.

Love him or hate him, Boxer knows what he's talking about as well and he's right, "bullets matter more than head stamps" especially under 500 yards as Brad stated.

I did gain enough info from this thread to make a decision.

Thanks for playing.
I really had no interest in the 6.5 Creedmoor to the point that I traded into one a few years ago and never bothered to shoot it. I became interested in experimenting and bought one of the Tikkas when Whittakers did the initial run. That Tikka may have been the most accurate production rifle I had ever fired to that time and it would even do it with factory ammo. I have since acquired two other Creedmoors of different brands and they too shoot like the Tikka and will do so with factory ammo. I love the 7-08 in that it is a light recoiling and easy to get to shoot round but the 6.5 is starting to edge it out for me in that handloads and factory shoot equally in that cartridge.

If you don't shoot past 600 yards, either will work.
Here's another log for the 'fire....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow, my 280ai with the 150 ABLR sure looks like a killer on that chart, I know moose don’t like it.
Holy shiit if that don’t get the lazy lying fuuck out of his hole I dunno what will!!!! Haha
What a epic cartridge comparison!!!! The difference betwixt the 2 can mean the difference between, “successful “ and “not successful “”!!!! Very serious decision here!!!!

Can you hit deer sized targets at 1400 yards with a fixed 6???? That’s another very important question the lying slizzering fuuck will ask!!!! I mean this is serious hunting shiit we’re talking about here!!!!

Another question, do you have a 6 month long season with 5 deer tags??? That’s another thing to consider!!!!

And yet another question, do the bear in your area schlep kelp via the beach????

These are all questions you need to ask prior to buying/building said cartridges!!!! Serious shiit!!! Alaska is tough!!! Especially when your a dumbfuuck!!!
I have one 6½ Creed...in an AR-10. IMO, it really shines in the AR-10 and compliments the format.

All that said, Berger's 7mm 195gr bullet has a much higher BC that anyone's 6.5. If I really wanted an ultimate LR rig, without going to the .338's, I'd build a big 7 with an 8 twist, throated to run that bullet
I never realized ducks were such good nut cuppers. LOL. PM me for contact info. Grin!!

But don’t forget the image and pretend 2000 yard kills. 😂🤣😂😁.
Who n the [bleep] is this stupid?
Answer. No killing want to 🐝’s. 😂🤣🤣🤣😂

[Linked Image]

Why no 150 ABLR in the 7RM? :-)

The 280AI at 41” drop and 13” drift looks great on paper.
Originally Posted by kingston

[Linked Image]

Why no 150 ABLR in the 7RM? :-)

The 280AI at 41” drop and 13” drift looks great on paper.

But it's l/a, can you kiss find pressure and butt rock on???? Haha
I’ll lob a 450 bushmaster at any distance you wanna test me with your Creidmore.
I might have one if 6.5 Creedmoor ammunition was available over here in Romania. But I do have a Ruger K1A and a Browning A-Bolt both factory chambered in 6.5 "Swedemore". RJ
Remember when the 7mm-08 was the new kid on the block?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2904382/1
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I’ll lob a 450 bushmaster at any distance you wanna test me with your Creidmore.

Wouldn’t you lose a lot of energy after say the third or forth bounce trying to make it to the 400yd mark?
Judman......

Pardon me not affording the luxury of not having 15 football fields in the middle of nowhere to do nothing on my couchbound [bleep] and do the same thing over and over again whilst bragging on 20 yard noggin shots for elusive wild game in my front yard on the Milford reservation and hard charging some stuff with a camera in tow and all that jazz....google it

Fretty....

I'll be supplized when the new 6.5 Fred hits the Walmart shelves a la Corlokts at $15.99/box.

Always in whores.....

The 450 Bush is a ping pong akin to the Chinese Olympic ping pong team...if you don't squint just right, it'll bounce right off the table. Ramen dreams and Sake wishes to you...

Are Jay....

The swedish meat ball cant hang because its like trying to put together IKEA furniture. Confusion in any language, even with splendid pixels and cartoon pictures....you've been led to Swiss Miss hot chocolate.

Ag seven eight....

What's this "new" 7-08 all about? I've shot every one on the planet.....

Not hard to decipher who shoots and who don't and who hunts and who buys ammo at Walmart and who can make a boolschit list in excel that dispels all the myths to keep the 'fire burning.

Here's to plenty of windshield and kissing and rocking on.....

Laffin....

Laughing....

I'm crying....

Bless your hearts...bless my heart....and bless all the little pigmys in Africa
I just spewed coffee on my desk!!!!
Glad the spreadsheet affords you the luxury of not having to guess....
Judman......

Pardon me not affording the luxury of not having 15 football fields in the middle of nowhere to do nothing on my couchbound [bleep] and do the same thing over and over again whilst bragging on 20 yard noggin shots for elusive wild game in my front yard on the Milford reservation and hard charging some stuff with a camera in tow and all that jazz....google it

Fretty....

I'll be supplized when the new 6.5 Fred hits the Walmart shelves a la Corlokts at $15.99/box.

Always in whores.....

The 450 Bush is a ping pong akin to the Chinese Olympic ping pong team...if you don't squint just right, it'll bounce right off the table. Ramen dreams and Sake wishes to you...

Are Jay....

The swedish meat ball cant hang because its like trying to put together IKEA furniture. Confusion in any language, even with splendid pixels and cartoon pictures....you've been led to Swiss Miss hot chocolate.

Ag seven eight....

Not hard to decipher who shoots and who don't and who hunts and who buys ammo at Walmart and who can make a boolschit list in excel that dispels all the myths to keep the 'fire burning.

Laffin....

Laughing....

I'm crying....

That is priceless.
Judman......

Fretty....

Always in whores.....

Are Jay....

Ag seven eight....

Laffin....

Laughing....

I'm crying....

Excellent!

grin
I'm not usually one to stroke another member as seems to be a requirement on the 'Fire; but, 16bore just moved to the front of the line for "Post of the Year". That was simply outstanding.

Without getting deep in to the weeds, to address the OP, and others. The 6.5 CM was kind of unique in its development. A lot of forethought was put into the cartridge and rifles in which it would be utilized. Bullet weights and their BC, cartridge length, bullet length, twist rates, etc. were all, clearly, considered in its development. Most of the cartridges put forth over the last half of a century had MOST shooters claiming, "If they had only done 'x' it would have been a winner". In most cases, that was probably correct.
Originally Posted by RBO
The ballistic anatomic ignorance is thick on this thread.

I shot a buck broadside in the front shoulder .

The 300 mags are for those who shoot them in the REAR shoulder...
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by RBO
The ballistic anatomic ignorance is thick on this thread.

I shot a buck broadside in the front shoulder .

The 300 mags are for those who shoot them in the REAR shoulder...

Even then, the "find the mis-hit deer" rodeos I've been in on didn't show a lot of difference between cartridges.
Judman......

Fretty....

Always in whores.....

Are Jay....

Ag seven eight....

Laffin....

Laughing....

I'm crying....

Haha damn that’s great stuff!!! I just peed a little!!! Lmfao
as bad as I hate to admit it. the 6.5cm does check several key boxes. but,if you are a real rifle looney you like more obtuse ways to get the same results i.e. 260 rem or 6.5x55 swede. I kinda like being a little different going to deer camp with calibers nobody else hunts with. that's why I chose the 260 rem and the 6.5x55 swede instead of the latest/greatest 6.5cm. nothing wrong with it at all and I might just pick one up just because its easier to find quality hunting ammo for it vs my other (2) 6.5mm's. never thought I'd say that as I was most deff opposed to the 6.5cm UNTIL I saw where it can coexist with my other 2 classy 264 cals.
good luck,
Big Ed
Judman......

Fretty....

Always in whores.....

Are Jay....

Ag seven eight....

Laffin....

Laughing....

I'm crying....

That's some funny schit right there!
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Glad the spreadsheet affords you the luxury of not having to guess....

Ft pds?

Hahaha....

No, you didn't fix it; made it worse actually. Foot pounds = ft-lb, not ft pds or ft/pd or anything like that. Pounds = lb

Ft/lb is torque, like you'd apply to the lug nuts on your car, or your truck engine delivers.

Ft-lb is energy when we're talking about ballistics.

Besides, there are a lot more important things to consider than energy.
Originally Posted by Yondering
Ft pds?

Hahaha....

No, you didn't fix it; made it worse actually. Foot pounds = ft-lb, not ft pds or ft/pd or anything like that. Pounds = lb

Ft/lb is torque, like you'd apply to the lug nuts on your car, or your truck engine delivers.

Ft-lb is energy when we're talking about ballistics.

Besides, there are a lot more important things to consider than energy.

Torque is in units of force * distance. (in-lbf, ft-lbf, N-m, etc). Force x moment arm.
I get a kick outta guys who get a kick outta guys that don't need permission to like what they like.

+1
Jeezus Fhuqking Gawd...what a right proper Whining CLUELESS Fhuqking Kchunt Convention! Congratulations?!?

It's never been difficult to cypher,who actually shoots and who sure in the fhuqk do not. HINT.

Will a .264" 147 ELD,fly shy of a .284" 180 ELD's splendor? Yep. Why? Bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than fhuqking headstamps and the .697BC of the 147,just "happens" to be shy of the .796 Magnitude of the 180. Can/will a Barrett Fieldcraft Smooch both from OEM mag confines? Assuredly. Best bullet ALWAYS fhuqking wins. Hint. Read that again. Now one more time and feel free to nod your empty heads,like you "understand". Laffin'!

Feel free to add case capacity beyond the 264 Kreedmire's cubic volume and whether it 260 or 260AI with 147's...the "lowly" 7-08 still remains King(easy to spot some barrel length too). HINT. I realize that Facts and Physics are rather upsetting to The Do Nothing Gang and that certainly do bolster the fhuqking Humor Quotient. I also VERY much enjoyed the "notion" that all cartridges are "equal" inside the 500yd line,in regards to boolits and their affects,in a myriad of combinations!!! Lemme letcha' in on a leetle "secret" and that's the simplistic constant,that nothing matters more than boolits,at any fhuqking distance. Hint. Now you Amazingly STUPID Fhuqks "know" that too. Laffin'! Easy for me to say,if only because I shoot it all and then some. For the Slowest of the fhuqking SLOW,the 180 ELD don't suck outta a 7-08AI either. You'll wanna read that again,as Sensory Overload kicks in. Subtle HINT.

1000 words in Splendid Pixels. AICS unbindered for the .473's and Montucky OEM Issued COAL Smooches for the .532. Google it! Laffin'!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I also very much enjoy The Ruse,that yesterday's 'Swede,"equalled" a Kreedmire. It couldn't,wouldn't,didn't...because them boolits had yet to be Invented. HINT. Not that I don't always enjoy some Pavement Pounder waxing eloquent through quivering lips and trembling fingers,with Sectional Density Delusions and other contrived bullschit. RE-HINT. Laffin'!

There is only (1) chambering thus far cited in this Thread that I do not own,that because it's a piece of fhuqking schit,though I have shot it in Krunchentickers and that's the .450 Bushmaster. Rather like the full length parent in .243",.257",.264",.308" and 338",but was too much of a good thang in .224"(for me).

The same old never Have Done A Fhuqking Thing,Or Ever Will Do A Fhuqking Thing Whiners,gotta plagiarize charts and unleash their Imagination and it's Pretend,as a "foothold". Funny schit and I mean fhuqking FUNNY!

Pardon the FACT,that boolits matter in a Krunchenticker,even when fed ASC's. Hint. The 22 Grendel/75 ELD Krunchenticker Smooches and 243 Grendel/105'Max/HPBT and 108 ELD Krunchenticker Smooches are simply sensational. I tossed a 6BR/105 'Max/HPBT Smooch in bindered AICS Primal Guts or bindered AICS PVA Guts in the fray,so you "hard chargers" can say you've "seen" one of them too and pardon the 270 with 105's in AM 5-round Defaulters. As an aside,pass Primal Guts and hold the Fluff. Hint. Laffin'! Google away,you STUPID Fhuqks.

[Linked Image]

Heed false shoulders,Smooches,throat geometry and COAL latitude,if only obviously...while everything is the "same" inside the 500yd line. I'm fhuqking CRYIN'...I'm LAFFIN' soooooooooo hard. You poor poor(literally) STUPID Fhuqks. Hint. Nod in unison,like you "understand". A pun be fhuqking intended,to boot. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

Now it'll only come as a "surprise" to THE Peckerpole Princess,that not all actions are equal. Hint. As fhuqking MAGNIFICENT as the Barrett Short Action Fieldcrafts are,their Long Actions suck ass,due simply to COAL latitude,which precludes ring the bell and now you can say you "know" that too. Same goes Teeker,Ruger and the ilk. Hint. LAFFFIN'!

All "new" to me!!! You gals REALLY get to "see" and "do" it "all" and LUCKILY for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". HINT. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

It never ain't not funnier than fhuqk,to hand CLUELESS Dumb Fhuqks all of the slack on the rope,in which they "think" they can "handle". You gals are doing "GREAT". Hint. Laffin'!!!

Be sure to get lippy,if you dare pry your kchunts from the couch and the Cat don't get your tongues. Do not "forget" particulars,even though you have ZERO savvy on what do what,or why. Twist,throat geometry and COAL latitude are THE heartbeat of any/all rifles and it is never not a fascinating journey,for sooooo many to soooooooo badly botch the obvious,by doing their BEST,as factored by their "knowledge","experience" and "results"...you "lucky" kchunts!!! Oh and say sumptin' about scopes too. Hint. Laffin'!

Such things just "happen" to matter in Rimfire and now you Stupid Fhuqks can say you "know" that too!

[Linked Image]

If'n you are gonna slum Factory Fodder,it's Kreedmire by a mile. If you are loading for a sound rifle and don't "forget" about Twist,throat geometry and COAL latitude...the 7mm is King. But none of you Stupid Fhuqks has the savvy to set a rifle up,to eek even 30% of the goody outta it and please do not discount that Humor Quotient either. 'Tis a simply shame,you CLUELESS Kchunts are devoid an inkling,to the outright MAGNIFICENCE of your Stupidity. Hint.

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

BINGO!

Laffin'!

WOW +P++!!!
Originally Posted by BMR

I am shocked! You actually referred to it as cartridge instead of caliber. Bravo!
The man has spoken!
Stick, work smart not hard. Easier to hunt this schit with a 30-30 and save your money and time for good pussy. smile

[Linked Image]
Cool, thanks Higbean, I liked that old dudes video.....I just looked over Hornadys factory ballistics chart and compared the energy rating of the 6.5 Creed with 143 grain ELD-X ( 1302 ft/pd @500yds) to the Hornady factory .300 Win 200 grain ELD-X (2033 ft/pd @500 yds) or the .300 Win 180 gr GMX (1858 ft/pd @500yds) thats at least 550 ft pounds more energy...so what is Spoomer refering to here? Is Hornady paying him to push their 6.5 Creed maybe?......Or is he refering to energys at even further distances than 500 yds that are not listed?.......Hb

my friend keep crunching them numbers to beyond 600 and the CM starts to pass. Less recoil, less powder etc.. I really dislike recoil so I'm a big fan of the 6.5CM, .260rem and 7-08.
Judman......

Fretty....

Always in whores.....

Are Jay....

Ag seven eight....

Laffin....

Laughing....

I'm crying....

Damn that was funny!
Originally Posted by pahick
Stick, work smart not hard. Easier to hunt this schit with a 30-30 and save your money and time for good pussy. smile

[Linked Image]

That's some classic PA hunting woods if I ever seen it. And you're right, that's why I always keep a 30-30 around.
Originally Posted by Boxer
Jeezus Fhuqking Gawd...what a right proper Whining CLUELESS Fhuqking Kchunt Convention! Congratulations?!?

It's never been difficult to cypher,who actually shoots and who sure in the fhuqk do not. HINT.

Will a .264" 147 ELD,fly shy of a .284" 180 ELD's splendor? Yep. Why? Bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than fhuqking headstamps and the .697BC of the 147,just "happens" to be shy of the .796 Magnitude of the 180. Can/will a Barrett Fieldcraft Smooch both from OEM mag confines? Assuredly. Best bullet ALWAYS fhuqking wins. Hint. Read that again. Now one more time and feel free to nod your empty heads,like you "understand". Laffin'!

Feel free to add case capacity beyond the 264 Kreedmire's cubic volume and whether it 260 or 260AI with 147's...the "lowly" 7-08 still remains King(easy to spot some barrel length too). HINT. I realize that Facts and Physics are rather upsetting to The Do Nothing Gang and that certainly do bolster the fhuqking Humor Quotient. I also VERY much enjoyed the "notion" that all cartridges are "equal" inside the 500yd line,in regards to boolits and their affects,in a myriad of combinations!!! Lemme letcha' in on a leetle "secret" and that's the simplistic constant,that nothing matters more than boolits,at any fhuqking distance. Hint. Now you Amazingly STUPID Fhuqks "know" that too. Laffin'! Easy for me to say,if only because I shoot it all and then some. For the Slowest of the fhuqking SLOW,the 180 ELD don't suck outta a 7-08AI either. You'll wanna read that again,as Sensory Overload kicks in. Subtle HINT.

1000 words in Splendid Pixels. AICS unbindered for the .473's and Montucky OEM Issued COAL Smooches for the .532. Google it! Laffin'!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I also very much enjoy The Ruse,that yesterday's 'Swede,"equalled" a Kreedmire. It couldn't,wouldn't,didn't...because them boolits had yet to be Invented. HINT. Not that I don't always enjoy some Pavement Pounder waxing eloquent through quivering lips and trembling fingers,with Sectional Density Delusions and other contrived bullschit. RE-HINT. Laffin'!

There is only (1) chambering thus far cited in this Thread that I do not own,that because it's a piece of fhuqking schit,though I have shot it in Krunchentickers and that's the .450 Bushmaster. Rather like the full length parent in .243",.257",.264",.308" and 338",but was too much of a good thang in .224"(for me).

The same old never Have Done A Fhuqking Thing,Or Ever Will Do A Fhuqking Thing Whiners,gotta plagiarize charts and unleash their Imagination and it's Pretend,as a "foothold". Funny schit and I mean fhuqking FUNNY!

Pardon the FACT,that boolits matter in a Krunchenticker,even when fed ASC's. Hint. The 22 Grendel/75 ELD Krunchenticker Smooches and 243 Grendel/105'Max/HPBT and 108 ELD Krunchenticker Smooches are simply sensational. I tossed a 6BR/105 'Max/HPBT Smooch in bindered AICS Primal Guts or bindered AICS PVA Guts in the fray,so you "hard chargers" can say you've "seen" one of them too and pardon the 270 with 105's in AM 5-round Defaulters. As an aside,pass Primal Guts and hold the Fluff. Hint. Laffin'! Google away,you STUPID Fhuqks.

[Linked Image]

Heed false shoulders,Smooches,throat geometry and COAL latitude,if only obviously...while everything is the "same" inside the 500yd line. I'm fhuqking CRYIN'...I'm LAFFIN' soooooooooo hard. You poor poor(literally) STUPID Fhuqks. Hint. Nod in unison,like you "understand". A pun be fhuqking intended,to boot. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

Now it'll only come as a "surprise" to THE Peckerpole Princess,that not all actions are equal. Hint. As fhuqking MAGNIFICENT as the Barrett Short Action Fieldcrafts are,their Long Actions suck ass,due simply to COAL latitude,which precludes ring the bell and now you can say you "know" that too. Same goes Teeker,Ruger and the ilk. Hint. LAFFFIN'!

All "new" to me!!! You gals REALLY get to "see" and "do" it "all" and LUCKILY for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". HINT. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

It never ain't not funnier than fhuqk,to hand CLUELESS Dumb Fhuqks all of the slack on the rope,in which they "think" they can "handle". You gals are doing "GREAT". Hint. Laffin'!!!

Be sure to get lippy,if you dare pry your kchunts from the couch and the Cat don't get your tongues. Do not "forget" particulars,even though you have ZERO savvy on what do what,or why. Twist,throat geometry and COAL latitude are THE heartbeat of any/all rifles and it is never not a fascinating journey,for sooooo many to soooooooo badly botch the obvious,by doing their BEST,as factored by their "knowledge","experience" and "results"...you "lucky" kchunts!!! Oh and say sumptin' about scopes too. Hint. Laffin'!

Such things just "happen" to matter in Rimfire and now you Stupid Fhuqks can say you "know" that too!

[Linked Image]

If'n you are gonna slum Factory Fodder,it's Kreedmire by a mile. If you are loading for a sound rifle and don't "forget" about Twist,throat geometry and COAL latitude...the 7mm is King. But none of you Stupid Fhuqks has the savvy to set a rifle up,to eek even 30% of the goody outta it and please do not discount that Humor Quotient either. 'Tis a simply shame,you CLUELESS Kchunts are devoid an inkling,to the outright MAGNIFICENCE of your Stupidity. Hint.

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

BINGO!

Laffin'!

WOW +P++!!!

So your saying BC maters???? Even while hitting house sized targets at 1400 yards with a fixed 6??? You’ve got to be shiitting on me????
Originally Posted by Mike74
The man has spoken!

That's what I was waiting on!
Finally got your permission slip signed.
Finally got your permission slip signed.

LMAO! Didn't need his permission, just wanted his insight.

Love him or hate him, he does make some valid points; I don't always agree, but he's not a fhuqking winder licking idiot. HINT.

He has some very good You-Tube videos that are worth your time.

What really scares me is, I've gone back and read through enough of his posts, that I can now fluently read and understand everything he's saying. It's like speaking a second language. Laffin'!
I can read Stickish pretty well too.
Stickanese
Expand my mind a little further: What or who is the difference between Stick and Boxer? We got an alter ego thing going on here, i.e. Dion Sanders/Prime Time?

A clear case of “bullets matter more than headstamps.” In the video, it appeared he was comparing the Creed with 140gr Amaxes that have a .585 BC to the .300 Win with 180gr core loct which has a .438 BC. Point being, with some judicious bullet selection, you can handily beat mainstream .300 win mag ballistics with a whole bunch less recoil and a whole bunch more barrel life.

On the other hand, if you pick a high BC bullet to shoot in your .300, you’ll best the 6.5 Creedmoor but at the expense of much more recoil and less barrel life.

The bullet that works the best is the one put in the right place and the Creedmoor makes it easy to do that.

John
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Expand my mind a little further: What or who is the difference between Stick and Boxer? We got an alter ego thing going on here, i.e. Dion Sanders/Prime Time?

"They" are bottom feeding reprobates. You know....loser, zero, immoral degnerates......get the drift?
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

A clear case of “bullets matter more than headstamps.” In the video, it appeared he was comparing the Creed with 140gr Amaxes that have a .585 BC to the .300 Win with 180gr core loct which has a .438 BC. Point being, with some judicious bullet selection, you can handily beat mainstream .300 win mag ballistics with a whole bunch less recoil and a whole bunch more barrel life.

On the other hand, if you pick a high BC bullet to shoot in your .300, you’ll best the 6.5 Creedmoor but at the expense of much more recoil and less barrel life.

The bullet that works the best is the one put in the right place and the Creedmoor makes it easy to do that.

John

It's just not that simple. Can't be.

There's a few examples of what you're talking about on the stupid list I posted. Lots will outperform others, provided you handload. 6.5 CM does it out of the box....

But I still like the 1925 version of the mighy Creed..
Originally Posted by JGRaider

"They" are bottom feeding reprobates. You know....loser, zero, immoral degnerates......get the drift?

Nah hes a good dude. Ya big ego, knows his schit though. HIS schit doesnt work for a lot of people, less they hunt similar terrain. Complete waste in my area, less im twiddling my thumbs waiting tor something to cross a power line.

[Linked Image]

And it I do at times. But 90% of my shots are under 100. I believe most of us here can say the same.

Same same.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Nah hes a good dude. Ya big ego, knows his schit though. HIS schit doesnt work for a lot of people, less they hunt similar terrain. Complete waste in my area, less im twiddling my thumbs waiting tor something to cross a power line.

[Linked Image]

And it I do at times. But 90% of my shots are under 100. I believe most of us here can say the same.

That sums it up well.
OK, I'll play along.

but based on the ballistics at the Federal Ammo site, the 7mm-08 can do everything the Creedmoor does and better. What am I missing? Why is the Creedmoor so popular.....why would I purchase a 6.5 Creed over a 7/08?

First I think we'd need to define our terms.

The word in question is "better". If you mean having more power available is "better" you are right.
However you said up-front
"The rifle will primarily be used for whitetail with shots being 500 yards or less. "

So how would more power be better? If I have a 1 ton truck and a 1/2 ton truck does the one-ton carry 2 bags of groceries better then the 1/2 ton does?

Personally I would take a 7-08 over a 6.5 CM anytime, because I live and hunt in Wyoming mostly, and because I mostly hunt elk. I like the ability to fire the larger diameter and heavier bullets from the 7MM over the 6.5 MM. I believe a bit more power is a good thing in my case and for the game I hunt. For elk I would say you were better served with the 7-08, but for deer I doubt the 7-08 is any "better". I cannot say that it's going to kill deer any faster or more dramatically then the 6.5CM, 260 or 6.5X55 Swede. So "better" may not have much to do with the mission statement you gave to us all.

In my opinion the 6.5CM is "so popular" because it does what it's supposed to do quite well, and that is basically to come VERY close to the 6.5 Swede in overall performance without issues of differing throat dimensions, and any issues with differing case head dimensions. But the 6.5 CM is nothing new at all ballisticly. It's coping one of the best cartridges ever invented, the 6.5 Swede, and to be in that category is a very good place to be.

The 7-08 will kick a bit harder.

If barrels are of the same quality I can't say the CM is 'more accurate" but I can assure you it's no less accurate either.

Both cartridges are excellent.

But for killing whitetails either one is just fine and will be equity effective if bullets are of equal construction in your comparison.
If you pour over data, cogitate, ask 1000 questions and finally make a decision after months of deep consideration ..................... or if you simply flip a coin, I am betting the results for your hunting will be identical.
Epic skullphuck that goes nowhere but a complete circle......cut and paste the entire phuqqing thread and change the date and caliber and you'll see the same schit. Wasn't long ago 25-06AI was the be all end all.....then 280AI.....

But everyone is a gawdam sniper...

Just equate this schit to professional wresting, because that's all it really is.

Can you smell what the Stick is cookin?
Epic skullphuck that goes nowhere but a complete circle......cut and paste the entire phuqqing thread and change the date and caliber and you'll see the same schit. Wasn't long ago 25-06AI was the be all end all.....then 280AI.....

Just equate this schit to professional wresting, because that's all it really is.

Some people can't, obviously.

I’ll tell ya what. I’m FAR from being a sniper. But I do love the 6.5CM i have. Everything I have shot is factory loaded, everything was MOA, and some of it is much better. Federal loaded Nosler a Accubond is 3/4” at 100, under 2” at 200, and I can hit a pie plate at 300. That’s nothing for some of you but for a guy that shoots critters at 100yds, it’s fun to shoot further than that. I will be shooting further now that I have some confidence.therr are enough clear cuts around here that I can probably shoot to 600.
Stickanese

Fisting
Originally Posted by kingston
Stickanese

Fisting

No wonder kchunts are couch bound!
The closer you get to your game, the less any of this stuff matters. Obviously.
Even if shots past 300 yards aren't contemplated I see the 6.5 Creedmoor as an excellent deer rifle for someone getting started. Plenty of horsepower, modest recoil, engineered for accuracy from the get go, wide selection of excellent factory ammo at reasonable prices, .... hard to go wrong.
Originally Posted by mathman
Even if shots past 300 yards aren't contemplated I see the 6.5 Creedmoor as an excellent deer rifle for someone getting started. Plenty of horsepower, modest recoil, engineered for accuracy from the get go, wide selection of excellent factory ammo at reasonable prices, .... hard to go wrong.

Originally Posted by mathman
I don't know, some sticks are embedded in awfully stiff mud.
Still have observed zero call-out? Shoot whatever floats your boat.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Still have observed zero call-out? Shoot whatever floats your boat.

He showed, posted his observations, we all speak Stickanese more fluently, mission accomplished.

[Linked Image]

Whatcha gonna do when it gets thick ? smile Have been bear hunting in NE PA when the mountain laurel got so thick I couldn't see my buddy 15 feet away dressed head to toe fluorescent orange. Good to be back home in KY. But, miss still friends and hunting in NE PA.
Originally Posted by Orion2000

[Linked Image]

Whatcha gonna do when it gets thick ? smile Have been bear hunting in NE PA when the mountain laurel got so thick I couldn't see my buddy 15 feet away dressed head to toe fluorescent orange. Good to be back home in KY. But, miss still friends and hunting in NE PA.

We were putting on a Bear drive in the early 90's in the northern PA laurel when a Bear busted back through the drive. It sounded like it was coming straight for me but it veered and passed by me 10 yards away. I never caught a glimpse of it. It sounded very large. That stuff was too thick to even walk through. We crawled a lot. I miss those days.

I remember when 6.5s were schitt yet here we are.

All this mindphucking is the equivalent of LRRPF52 claiming it’s easier to make a hit with a 6.5 Grendel versus a 6.8 SPC even when it’s short distance. You want some derp go read some of his schitt.
© 24hourcampfire