Home
First off I am certainly no Kimber Fanboy but I have to give credit where credit is due, I bought a NIB Kimber Subalpine 30-06 a couple months back ( this rifle was built in November of 2017) I had My gunsmith bed the action and it has been an excellent rifle ...fit, function and accuracy is outstanding, this 84L will shoot .75 MOA or better with My handloads (cold barrel) ...The 30-06 Subalpine was so good that I bought another NIB Subalpine chambered in .300 WSM (this rifle was built in April of 2018) it is also an outstanding rifle in every way, right out of the box fit, finish and function is perfect and it will shoot honest .50 MOA 5 shot groups @ 100yd with My handloads (if I do My part)....I am so impressed with these Kimbers that I am considering trying one more spin at the Roulette Wheel on a Montana .300 WSM, Has anyone else had any experience with a Kimber rifle built within the last year or so? ........Thanks Hb
Not this year but I have a 2016 Montana 308 that is an honest .75” shooter straight out of the box, no bedding, no handloading. Great gun.
Off topic....but damn! You're a .30 slut!
I bought a 280AI Kimber 84L this year. It is scoped and sighted in at 200 and 400 yards with 140 gr NAB.
I have it here on this hunting trip. I have killed 4 animals, with a Winchester on this trip.

The Montana niche is light weight, and I may use it yet.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Lmao! I am what I am......But I prefer to be referred to as a ".30 cal Whore"....😁.....It also makes for a more simple reloading bench.......Hb
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I bought a 280AI Kimber 84L this year. It is scoped and sighted in at 200 and 400 yards with 140 gr NAB.
I have it here on this hunting trip. I have killed 4 animals, with a Winchester on this trip.

[Linked Image]

Damn nice lookin rig!......Hb
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Not this year but I have a 2016 Montana 308 that is an honest .75” shooter straight out of the box, no bedding, no handloading. Great gun.

A 2016 model with no issues...This is some good info, I am no stranger to Kimber rifles as I tried a couple spins at the wheel several years back and was 1 for 2....I had a 84M Classic chambered in .308 Win that was a fantastic rifle but it was way too pretty for me to hunt with so I sold it, My next spin at the wheel was a NIB Montana .308 Win that was the worst POS rifle I have ever owned! You name the issue and it had it, that thing would not feed or extract correctly and accuracy ranged from terrible to pitiful, it was no better than a 4MOA rifle.....I sent it back to Kimber, 4 months later I got my rifle back, the feeding/extracting issue was gone but it still didn't shoot for chit so I sold it cheap to a buddy and he traded it for a Shotgun when he couldn't get it to shoot with his handloads......I am hoping if these lastest examples of great quality Kimber rifles are the norm maybe Kimber has finally got their ducks in a row......Hb

[Linked Image]

I have my sights set on this exact one! How does it shoot the 140 AB’s?
The factory Kimber shoots 2" 3 shot groups at 200 yards like the heavier custom Sav 110 and Win M70 in 280AI I built this year.
The lightweight Leupold rimfire scope is great on targets, but the cross hairs may be too thin for fast acquisition with my 67 year old eyes.
I am going mule deer hunting again in the morning. I will have both the heavy M70 and light 84L in the truck
I've picked up a Montana in 280AI. Very happy with it. Really like the stock and the trigger. Hope to use it for an elk soon. Have gotten good accuracy with 160 A Frames, 160 Partitions and 140 TSX's so far.
Yes I have. It shoots and functions great!
I quit when they started threading all the barrels on Montana’s for Suppressors. At least give us a choice!
Originally Posted by lastround
I quit when they started threading all the barrels on Montana’s for Suppressors. At least give us a choice!

Threading the barrel is giving you a choice.

David
Yeah, like whether or not to buy their rifle. It’s kind of like that lock on new S&W revolvers I guess.....use it or don’t. I don’t like it either, and won’t buy one with it either. Not trying to be a smart azz, but I get to choose what I spend my money on.
I bought a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 300WSM this year. Took it to the range and shot two factory Barnes loads, the 150's and 165's. Both shot well under one inch at a hundred yards. I doubt I can beat it with handloads. The other Mountain Ascent I have is a 30-06. It to shoots an inch or better with select loads. So far good luck with my Kimbers.
The factory Kimber shoots 2" 3 shot groups at 200 yards like the heavier custom Sav 110 and Win M70 in 280AI I built this year.
The lightweight Leupold rimfire scope is great on targets, but the cross hairs may be too thin for fast acquisition with my 67 year old eyes.
I am going mule deer hunting again in the morning. I will have both the heavy M70 and light 84L in the truck

Best of luck on your hunt!....let us know how it goes.....Hb
Originally Posted by Anchor1
I bought a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 300WSM this year. Took it to the range and shot two factory Barnes loads, the 150's and 165's. Both shot well under one inch at a hundred yards. I doubt I can beat it with handloads. The other Mountain Ascent I have is a 30-06. It to shoots an inch or better with select loads. So far good luck with my Kimbers.

Excellent! Sounds like you bought the same rifles/calibers as me but you got them in the Cadillac models and I got the Chevy's....Lol.....Hb
Helped a buddy setup his new hunter in 6.5. Shooting 3in groups with 140 fusions and 1.75 in groups with nosler 120ft. Factory loads. He doesn't hand load so It will be up to him just how many factory loads he'll need to try to see if it can shoot any better. At the moment, its a little disappointing.

not to mention 300 mag slut grin
[Linked Image]

I used the kimber this morning because of the encouragement from this thread.
Think it’s time to take the price tag off, now that you’ve bloodied it? grin
Congrats. Is that a hunter or montana?
Kimber hunter .308 ......

No complaints here....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

not to mention 300 mag slut grin

Guilty as charged!...and I like em lightweight too, 6.5 lbs is about perfect for a bare rifle chambered in .300 Win or .300 WSM....😁.....Hb
[Linked Image]

I used the kimber this morning because of the encouragement from this thread.

Wow! That didn't take long, congrats on a nice buck!.....Hb
Originally Posted by killerv
Helped a buddy setup his new hunter in 6.5. Shooting 3in groups with 140 fusions and 1.75 in groups with nosler 120ft. Factory loads. He doesn't hand load so It will be up to him just how many factory loads he'll need to try to see if it can shoot any better. At the moment, its a little disappointing.

This dont sound good..how does the rifle feed/extract?.....Good luck....Hb
I've bought 2 - a 280 AI for me and a 308 for my buddy. No bedding, no nothing except a slight trigger tweak. Both shoot sub-moa with my hand loads. The 308 also likes green box corelokts.

I've had remarkable luck with all vintages of Kimbers. I've yet to have one that wouldn't shoot MOA with some bullet/powder combo. And it's been 8-10 of them between mine and friends.
A 257 Roberts is beginning to call my name.....
GreggH
A newly purchased Montana 6.5CM has been very accurate right out of the box without any "tweaks".
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
A newly purchased Montana 6.5CM has been very accurate right out of the box without any "tweaks".

Excellent!.... im thinkin a Montana in .223 Rem and one in a .300 Win or WSM would be sweet......I was looking hard at the Bergara Premier Mtn rifle but no CRF action a quite a bit more spendy than a Montana, actually for what your getting the Montana seems very reasonably priced when compared to prices of other premium rifles.....Hb
I have bought two montana's. One in 6.5 creedmoor and the next in .223. Both shoot fine for me. (Both have shot groups of inch or less) no bedding or tweaking.
Originally Posted by marlinshooter1
I have bought two montana's. One in 6.5 creedmoor and the next in .223. Both shoot fine for me. (Both have shot groups of inch or less) no bedding or tweaking.

How do you like the .223 Montana? I need another .223 and that one is on the short list.
I bought a Hunter in 6.5 Creed earlier this year. Only had it to the range once and the Hornady factory loads were sub MOA. Finally got all my reloading supplies for it and hope to get to some load development. Feeding is fine, no issues.
I have 2 Kimber Montanas, a pre-threaded barrel 84M .308 and an 8400 .30-06, that shoot sub MOA. The .308 is a great mountain or timber rifle that shoots 150gr Barnes TTSX well. The 8400 was purchased this year used at a LGS (great deal that I could not pass up) that shoots the 165gr NAB really well. It isn't as light as the .308, but the extra heft helps tame the recoil and muzzle jump nicely.
I have a 2016 classic select that goes under .75" with federal 130 grain partition and nosler trophy grade 130 grain accubond.
Couldn't be more happy.
I have purchased 2 in the last 2 years one a Montana in 7mm-08 and the other a 6.5 Creedmoor Hunter. With no tweaks other than shortening the front screw on the Talley mounts.Both were easy to find a load for that shot under an inch. Also checked the mag box but it was fine on the Montana.

I got a Mountain ascent in 300WSM 2 years ago (not sure when it was built, but mine came from Kimber). It is a bit picky on factory loads, but Nosler Trophy grade 180g AB have been sub MOA out to 600 yards. I'm taking it Montana in a few weeks.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

I got a Mountain ascent in 300WSM 2 years ago (not sure when it was built, but mine came from Kimber). It is a bit picky on factory loads, but Nosler Trophy grade 180g AB have been sub MOA out to 600 yards. I'm taking it Montana in a few weeks.

Excellent! Good luck in Montana and let us know how it goes.......Hb
Originally Posted by GreggH
A 257 Roberts is beginning to call my name.....
GreggH

I happen to have a pre-threaded barrel I'd part with......
I bought a .308 classic select this year that puts Hornady American whitetail 150s under 0.5" (three shots) @ 100 yds...
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Excellent! Good luck in Montana and let us know how it goes.......Hb

No elk. Shot a dinker WT on last day, but he was only 75 yards away, so not a great testament to its long range abilities. It was a joy to carry a 6.5 lb rifle/scope versus a 11.5 lb setup given the thousands of feet of elevation climbed and countless miles walked in 6 days. Really made a huge difference.
Was traveling in Ohio and the Field n Stream had all the Mt Ascents on clearance plus another 30% off. All that was left was 308 and 06. Had no plans of buying a Mt Ascent but at that price the 308 came home. It passed the initial exam just fine. Mag box floats, barrel actually floats. No screws bottoming out and the crown looks good. Probably shoot it today.

I have to say that without a doubt had the most copper fouled barrel of any new gun I’ve ever taken home.
Bought two AAA French select's.308 shoot's under 1 inch with factory 150gr Federal's!!! The 257Rob(middle) shoot's 100gr TTSX's under 1 inch. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Montana 6.5 CM in July '18. No tweaks applied. Six range sessions and it shoots as great as my Tikka 6.5CM.
My hunter in 7-08 had 2” to 3” groups. I changed scopes, bed the lug, and tried 6 different types of factory ammo. I put on 1 of those SIMS barrel donuts like 2” from muzzle and now shoots 1”. Wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t shoot it myself. Only gun I have 1 on.
Originally Posted by BeardHunter
Was traveling in Ohio and the Field n Stream had all the Mt Ascents on clearance plus another 30% off. All that was left was 308 and 06. Had no plans of buying a Mt Ascent but at that price the 308 came home. It passed the initial exam just fine. Mag box floats, barrel actually floats. No screws bottoming out and the crown looks good. Probably shoot it today.

I have to say that without a doubt had the most copper fouled barrel of any new gun I’ve ever taken home.

155 scenar handloads went well under an inch for 3 shots without any cooling time. My best spin on the Kimber wheel to date.
© 24hourcampfire