Home

Ho-leeee chit....I was looking for some intel on these bullets (to add to my own limited experiences), but gave up on the other Game Changer threads about 5 pages in because it had more drama than a Mexican Soap Opera.

I'm honestly not sure if there is a Campfire "consensus" on these bullets yet. I think I really like them based on two critters I've seen killed with my own .243, but I'm curious as to other's experience and thought this might be an opportunity to start a "clean" thread about these relatively new bullets.

The neighbor kid used my .243 with the 90 grain variety and a muzzle velocity of around 3,050 to cleanly take a doe antelope at around 425 yards. I didn't manage to take any photos of the carnage, but the bullet performed well. Lungs were soup and it had a Partition-like entrance and exit wounds. Estimated impact velocity would have been about 2350. Antelope made it about 25 yards before it went down.

My son killed also killed a doe antelope at around 270 yards with the aforementioned .243. Entrance and exit looked very similar to the first doe Rocco took at 425ish. Here are the entrance and exit wounds on Rowdy's doe killed at 270ish with an estimated impact speed of 2600fps. As you can see, the bullet caught the edge of a rib going in, and center-punched one going out. She staggered about 5 yards and fell down for good. Lungs were pretty hammered.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm particularly interested in any experience(s) anyone has with the 160 grain, 7mm bullets. The 168 Bergers I'm currently using have performed well, but I've always been a Sierra fan and would love to see the 160 show up and perform across a broad spectrum of velocities. Thanks in advance for any experiences you can share.

Dave
"More drama than a Mexican soap opera," good one Dave!!
There are two HUGE difference between this thread and the other debacle.

1) You didn't gut shoot the deer.
2) You tracked and found the deer.

I'm also going to go out on a limb here and say you didn't need 400' of rope, a Jeep, and a winch.

Congrats on good clean kills. Those boys and bullets did well.
Did you call Seirra before you looked at it ?
Sample of one.... but I’m impressed, and I’ll definately keep using them on Deer/Antelope/Coyotes.

90 grain GameChanger out of a .243. MV was a shade over 3100, shot was 400 yards.

Center-punched the front shoulder, exited behind the off shoulder (you can see the entrance in the pic). Buck toook a couple uneasy steps and piled up.

In/Out pictures look just like yours.

[Linked Image]
Nice buck!!
I've always liked Sierra's for deer, pronghorn and varmints. However, I've been shooting a crap ton of blemished bullets and 2nds from Nosler thanks to SPS and haven't used Sierras for a few years. I'm interested in the Game Changer for my .270 Win, BC seems pretty good.
Download to 1800 fps and let us know how it does whistle
Originally Posted by smokepole
Nice buck!!

Thanks man..... threw a tape on him last night, he’s in the low 70” range. Pretty good buck for that unit.
Stunt shooters.....

grin

Originally Posted by NEBHUNTER
Did you call Seirra before you looked at it ?

That's a valid question.
This is looking a little more like it...
Looking like a dandy on game.
I ain't gonna obsess over deer bullets unless I'm expecting a real whopper, which I ain't. Hell, I just bought a box of Speer 6mm boat tails! Don't recall anyone mentioning Speer of late.

Maybe after I burn up the 2000 or so 6s I have, I'll take a swing at 'em.
Thanks for the report. I worked up a load with the 165s in my 16" barrel .308. Accurate little buggers regardless of powder charge it seems. And was able to actually get them to a respectable velcoity despite the shorty barrel.

Good to see some great performance from the 90 grainer.
nice buck!
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Thanks for the report. I worked up a load with the 165s in my 16" barrel .308. Accurate little buggers regardless of powder charge it seems. And was able to actually get them to a respectable velcoity despite the shorty barrel.

Which was?
Good reports gentlemen, thank you.
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Which was?

What? You used a bullet at the velocity it was supposed to be used...and it worked? Who woulda thought? Bring a lot of rope and jeep with you in case you gut shoot a dink.
Nice bucks guys, thanks for the reports, and for posting the pics. Congrats.
I am loading some 130 grain Game Changers tomorrow thanks for the information and pictures you provided .
I found where a man shot 3 of the 30 cal 165 grain Game Changers into ballistic gel at 2700 fps impact velocity. They looked pretty good to me.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by iddave

I'm honestly not sure if there is a Campfire "consensus" on these bullets yet. I think I really like them based on two critters I've seen killed with my own .243, but I'm curious as to other's experience and thought this might be an opportunity to start a "clean" thread about these relatively new bullets.

The Game Changer consensus here on the 'fire is be sure to tape your ankles before shooting anything with them........
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by iddave

The Game Changer consensus here on the 'fire is be sure to tape your ankles before shooting anything with them........

And Sierra on speed dial.......
Thanks for the detailed report on the game changer.
I loaded up some 130's last week, great accuracy and looking forward to see how they perform.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13183170/1
No bullchit in this thread.
© 24hourcampfire