Home
My wife took a HUGE, fat, lead cow with her (our) Winchester Model 70 .270 Win.

The load was a 140 Sierra Gamechanger in front of a stout load of H4831, with a MV of 2900ish. Very accurate in her (our) rifle.

The shot was right at 100 yards. A quartering too shot. She put it right in the point of the shoulder where I told her to and it exited right behind the opposing shoulder. It broke the near side heavy leg bone, several ribs in and out, and came to rest on the hide on the opposite side. Trauma was severe in between the shoulders and rib cage as well as lungs were destroyed, and you can see from the pictures on the exit side, there is trauma clear to her flank.

Entry.

[Linked Image]

Exit.

[Linked Image]

Bullet. It weighed 73.6 grains after a rinse off. 52.5% weight retention

[Linked Image]

All in all, I'm super happy with it. It's a tad violent performance but I think it will work well at distance. With as close as the shot was, it's hard to ask more from a plastic tipped, non-bonded bullet. I'm looking forward to using them in her (our) .270 for years. It's just the beginning of us using them.

[Linked Image]

Happy hunting!

Todd
Congratulations to your wife, well done, and very nice write-up.
Great job!
Congrats! Good too see the whole family out there to experience it. What's the OAL for your load?
Pretty convincing terminal performance. Thanks for sharing.
Good information, Thanks for the write up and congrats to your wife.
Congrats to the whole clan. I think your wife needs to talk to you about who's rifle is who's!
Excellent, thanks for sharing. Congratulations too!
Good stuff, love that picture of all the girls.
Originally Posted by 79S
Congrats! Good too see the whole family out there to experience it. What's the OAL for your load?

3.395” COL.. that is pretty long and just below Mag box length. I think it’s right at .075 off the lands.

Thanks all,

Todd
Awesome hunt and congrats on the family/elk hunt together! Doesn't get much better! The Sierra did a wicked job.
No failure there. Congrats on a great animal and a fast recovery.
FANTASTIC!!!

Great picture! I hope you have that picture blown up and put it on the living room wall! Would make for a great picture to put on Christmas cards also!

You may want to send that picture and story to Sierra! I am sure that they would all enjoy it!
Great report on the bullet.

Awesome to do it with the family. Good on you guys for getting the whole family out there.
Originally Posted by jeffbird

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

But I think you better call Sierra....
I see what you did there....

Great looking family.
Hope you didn't make one of the kids pack a 1/4....
Thanks for posting.

Slave
Gotta love a lab
for a great family hound, too.
super nice!
That'll work.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by jeffbird

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

But I think you better call Sierra....

Holy smokes! Point for you Sir! That was excellent!
Thanks for the information and congrats on a great outing with your family. Hoping to try the gamechanger in a couple different rifles, looks promising.
Great family portrait. On entrance was most of the blood shot superficial in the connective tissue only. The GC looks like it will be ideal for deer.
The entry shoulder damage is severe. It’s going to take a lot of careful trimming and sorting to get the meat harvested.

Todd
Looks about perfect to me....

Good job to all of you!
I dunno if you've heard but those bullets are crap.....

-Jake
Originally Posted by Justahunter
The entry shoulder damage is severe. It’s going to take a lot of careful trimming and sorting to get the meat harvested.

Todd

I'd attribute that to shot placement as much as anything.
Originally Posted by mathman

Todd

I'd attribute that to shot placement as much as anything.

Absolutely. Anytime that big of a bone is hit, things tend to get a little messy. It wastes a package or two of meat but those elk have a hard time shaking that shot off.

Todd
I can't see the pics, but from your description I'm impressed with the lick that Sierra delivered.
.... and you can see from the pictures on the exit side, there is trauma clear to her flank...

Exit.

[Linked Image]

What kind of trauma would you consider that to be?

What extent of actual tissue damage was present beneath that large area of [subcutaneous] haemorrhage?
Justahunter, Thanks for sharing the hunt and the family with us. Love the photo. That type of excursion simply does not happen often enough today.

I have a few pics around like that taken circa 1960 of me, my sister, and brother with Mom and Dad bringing home winter's meat. But instead of a lab, we had a big old saddle mare and she earned her keep packing meat.
That's some great family pictures and memories that they will always remember. And good exposure on harvesting their own meat for the table. Looks like you will have some young hunters in the next few years. Bravo!
Thanks for the report, and congratulations
The photo of the family is worth the price of admission - the cow is a bonus. I'd get an 11x14 or z 16x20 photo and have it mounted on gatorboard. This will give it a solid backing. Buy a readymade frame to fit. If I was closer, I'd frame it for you.
Todd, tell me about the stock on that gun. powdr
Thank you all very much! That picture is definitely going on the wall! Christmas cards as well!

Starman,... Lots of big words dude... just shoot elk in the chest with good bullets and those big words won’t matter.

Powdr,... The rifle is a mid 80’s Winchester model 70 pushfeed “Ranger” model. It was a budget gun of its time. The stock is a cheap birch if memory serves and was Winchester’s solution to save money. I’m going to find a Featherweight stock to put on it one of these days. The gun shoots sub MOA with several different loads.

Todd
What a great looking family!

Congrats to your wife on the big cow also. That's going to provide some great meals for the near future.

Thanks for sharing!
Excellent post! Great looking family. Congrats sir!

and yes, you should have called Sierra....LOL
Congratulations with the family having a great day on "The Mountain" Family days afield, are some of the best.
Again, congratulation!

Starman,... Lots of big words dude... just shoot elk in the chest with good bullets and those big words won’t matter.

well when you said trauma I thought you were into proper technical terms.

Originally Posted by Starman

well when you said trauma I thought you were into proper technical terms.

Nope.... “trauma” is pretty dumbed down. But if you want to feel smarter than me, it won’t take much...

Todd
© 24hourcampfire