Home
Posted By: Orion6 “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/02/18
I’m looking to get a “pretty” (aka old school Walnut and blued) hunting rifle in the next few months. This will likely be a one-time purchase, and more of a splurge to have a semi-heirloom grade of rifle to leave to my oldest daughter. Hopefully for her future son/daughter.

I have always loved Model 70’s, 700 BDLs and the like. I grew up reading my Dad’s hunting and gun books, so I just have a thing for a classic looking rifle.

What do you guys think of the current Portuguese 70’s? I wish I could have snagged a SC made Winchester, but the fact that it’s imported really doesn’t bother me too much, as long as the quality is there. I like everything from the Featherweights, Sporters, and Super Grades. I REALLY like the Alaskan model with irons.

700 BDL. I know Remington has been a dumpster fire at times, but I do have a soft spot for them. I like the iron sights even though I’d never use them. Remington has always used pretty Walnut, and almost all BDL’s I’ve looked at have been gorgeous.

I’d consider other brands, but what I’m really looking for is that classic American hunting rifle. Am I missing any to consider? I’d like to keep it around $1000, give or take. That doesn’t include the scope, which will likely be a Leupold of some flavor.

Thanks for any input.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/02/18
Without a doubt, the Model 70. Superior in every way, EVERY way and by every valid method of effectiveness to a 700. If you are going to splurge, I'd go the Super Grade, but they are more than a grand.
I would consider a Model 70 supergrade as #1 and perhaps a Kimber Super America.
Posted By: Orion6 Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/02/18
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Without a doubt, the Model 70. Superior in every way, EVERY way and by every valid method of effectiveness to a 700. If you are going to splurge, I'd go the Super Grade, but they are more than a grand.

Buds has standard-caliber Supers for just a hair over $1000.

Have you been able to check out the Portuguese made ones? I just want to make sure they’re top-notch. I assume so, but need reassurance. 😄
Posted By: prm Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/02/18
You can always pick a rifle with a sub standard stock and have theses guys put on a truly amazing stock. I’m not against a top of the line M70 at all, just tossing it out as an option. You can have the stock LOP, grip, checkering and everything else done to exactly you’re liking. I had considered getting a M70 Featherweight done. Look for a pic of K22s Kimber as an example of a gorgeous Deer rifle. That’s the one that started me on the journey of having one done custom. Mine is a Barrett Fieldcraft because I still wanted a relatively light rifle, but they do a lot of M70s and M700s.
As a bonus, it will not only look great, but having a full length CNC aluminum bedding block will help with accuracy.

https://www.aigunstocks.com/

Here’s my Barrett. The wood was mine, they have fancier wood available. I’m playing scope roulette and as of yesterday it’s wearing a Leupold 6x36 with LR Duplex in Talley Lightweights.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by prm
You can always pick a rifle with a sub standard stock and have theses guys put on a truly amazing stock. I’m not against a top of the line M70 at all, just tossing it out as an option. You can have the stock LOP, grip, checkering and everything else done to exactly you’re liking. I had considered getting a M70 Featherweight done. Look for a pic of K22s Kimber as an example of a gorgeous Deer rifle. That’s the one that started me on the journey of having one done custom. Mine is a Barrett Fieldcraft because I still wanted a relatively light rifle, but they do a lot of M70s and M700s.
As a bonus, it will not only look great, but having a full length CNC aluminum bedding block will help with accuracy.

https://www.aigunstocks.com/

Wow. Some of those look incredible. That would put me well over my price range though. I’m ok with factory wood, I just want it to be nice.

Honestly for the money I think the Super Grade 70 is probably going to be hard to pass up.
The last time I hunted with a "pretty" rifle, I spent more time making sure I didn't scratch the nice wood, or put a mar on that beautiful blued metal. That's why every rifle I hunt with has a synthetic stock, and preferably stainless metal.

Of course, I grew up using "pretty" guns, because that's we had back then.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The last time I hunted with a "pretty" rifle, I spent more time making sure I didn't scratch the nice wood, or put a mar on that beautiful blued metal. That's why every rifle I hunt with has a synthetic stock, and preferably stainless metal.

Me too. But I have cheaper rifles for most days. This is more a “want” than “need”. I just want to have something with a little class. 🙂
Look for a M70FWT with decent wood. Browning shotguns have been made in Portugal for years. One of reasons FN moved the production to Portugal was that the SC plant was used to making military firearms and didn't handle the wood stocks with enough care so they ended up with a lot of dinged stocks.At least that's what was said on the internet. CDNN sold a bunch of them.
My wife has a Super America and it is one sweet little rifle.
Originally Posted by Orion6
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Me too. But I have cheaper rifles for most days. This is more a “want” than “need”. I just want to have something with a little class. 🙂

A Sako L579 Deluxe would be nice and usually around $1K within a couple hundred,depending on the gun. Some have very nice wood. There was also some Sako 85's sold at Cabela's a few years back with exceptional wood.

I might simply look around used until I found one. Don't be hasty. I've seen exceptional custom guns on here from very trusted members right at $2K ,that probably cost more than twice that to build.
Posted By: prm Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/02/18

Wow. Some of those look incredible. That would put me well over my price range though. I’m ok with factory wood, I just want it to be nice.

Honestly for the money I think the Super Grade 70 is probably going to be hard to pass up.

I hear you. If you had an old M700 that already had some history you could spruce it up.
Beauty is as beauty does and I'm too hard on a rifle to be using anything but camo painted synthetic and stainless. My nice shotguns have the best wood because I can pick the days that I want to go clay or bird shooting, but come opening day rain or shine I'm going to be out there. I'm reminded of the guy that I hunted ducks with a few times that kept his shotgun in the case until he saw a duck. Scrape the finish when you climb a tree of dash your stock on a rock in a stumble and you will look at that scar every time you see the rifle. There is such a thing as too nice and some of the customs are sure in that camp for a hunting rifle. I put a nice buck into launch mode with the shine off my too shiny rifle and I've been camo ever since. It is one more thing that I can control.
Good advice thus far.

A Model 70 Super Grade is never wrong. You might also look around for a used Remington 700 CDL or a Ruger #1. Some of those have gorgeous wood. Also, check the fencepost thread for more ideas.

Okie John
You might want to consider something vintage as well, seems like they were more likely to have nice wood "back in the day".

And as others have said, I think it's pretty hard to argue with a super grade. I would make sure you can view it in person before committing to a purchase though, never know what you'll get buying sight unseen.

[Linked Image]
I’m looking to get a “pretty” (aka old school Walnut and blued) hunting rifle ............ I wish I could have snagged a SC made Winchester, but the fact that it’s imported really doesn’t bother me too much, as long as the quality is there. I like everything from the Featherweights, Sporters, and Super Grades........ I’d like to keep it around $1000, give or take.

You still can snag a SC Win Model 70.

I have a Winchester model 70 Feathetweight in 30-06 I was getting ready to sell. It IS indeed a snaggable a FN / South Carolina made and assembled BACO vintage ( not assembled in Portugal) rifle. Original BACO trigger. Blued steel. Nice walnut stock with a little figure, cut checkering, and factory Decelerator recoil pad, 2-piece Leupold blued steel bases with windage-style rear base ( Redfield style, not dual dovetail). I bought it used, and have never fired it. Bore is bright and shiney. No modifications. Blue is great (95-97++ % or higher ?). Very smooth action. Nice rifle.

I went through a BACO stage buying stage, and now I’m sitting on 3 Winchester model 70 BACO vintage rifles ( 2 sporters, and this featherweight). I just like the sporter version better. The Featherweight is now on the selling block.

$640, including shipping/insurance to a lower 48 FFL. FFL must be able to receive from private party ( if not, then add $25 to originate from my FFL). Drop me a PM if interested. Can send pics.
These things are subjective. Do not decide off the web. Just go with what feels right when you pick it up in the store. One of those you pick up in the store should be a Weatherby Mark V.

Conetrol mounts!
Not sure what your budget is. However, many really nice custom rifles here for significantly less than the price to build them:

Hallowell Custom Rifles

Currently having my first truly custom rifle built. Hope to ensure that it has several "Character marks" from hunting before the next generation picks it up smile

No one mentioned a Kimber Super America? I haven't owned one, the ones I saw in the shop sure look purdy.
Another thing to consider is that Winchester has announced they are coming out with both stainless featherweight and stainless super grade rifles either late this year or early next year, both with upgraded stocks. I have not seen any confirmed delivery date on them, but the stainless guns would be something a little different compared with the normal blued ones, and everyone seems to really love them. I have two BACO ones myself and really like them. Ill probably pick up another in a different caliber once they come out. These would be Portugese made rifles.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/02/18
Originally Posted by noKnees
No one mentioned a Kimber Super America? I haven't owned one, the ones I saw in the shop sure look purdy.

The second reply mentioned a Kimber Super America?
Posted By: skeen Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/02/18

Yes, someone did. But the OP said, "I’d like to keep it around $1000, give or take." A Kimber Super America will cost you more than that. You're right though - they sure are purdy. smile
Here is my SC BACO stock. Not the prettiest but not bad. Interestingly, CDNN has SuperGrade FWT stocks for sale. I bought one and it was plain Jane straight grain. I returned it.
[Linked Image]
BTW if I didn't already have this and -06's coming out my ears I would take Buttstock up on that deal.
My Bergara B-14 fills that bill for me.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: szihn Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/02/18
Pretty?
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
So to me, this is my prettiest deer (and elk, moose, buffalo and antelope ) rifle.
[Linked Image]my Rifle 2 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
[Linked Image]My Rifle 3 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
Posted By: JGray Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/02/18
Another BACO version - the first runs from 2008 usually had pretty decent wood. The 270 bullet bounced off as expected, but he tripped and hit his head on the rock whistle

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JGray Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/02/18
Originally Posted by szihn
Pretty?
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
So to me, this is my prettiest deer (and elk, moose, buffalo and antelope ) rifle.
[Linked Image]my Rifle 2 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
[Linked Image]My Rifle 3 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

Very nice - when pretty, old school and deer rifle were all mentioned together, this Ballard was the first one to come to mind:

[Linked Image]
My 257 Rob in the middle sure is pretty and a tack driver with TTSX's. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Originally Posted by skeen

Yes, someone did. But the OP said, "I’d like to keep it around $1000, give or take." A Kimber Super America will cost you more than that. You're right though - they sure are purdy. smile

An old Super America. So far not a deer rifle!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is a Winchester Featherweight. Paid 1k for it at....

https://www.cdnnsports.com/70-270-fthrwgt-higrade-22.html?___SID=U#.W9zfla2ZPVo
Kimber 84M's can be found for around a grand. Seen some very pretty ones around.
Has no one recommended a old school Sako yet? Blasphemous
Posted By: ingwe Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/03/18
Mine isn't near as pretty as most of these, but it'll do....275 Rigby

[Linked Image]
Might just buy a knockout piece of wood from boyds. Not gonna get that lucky buying out of a shop these days
Posted By: 308ld Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/03/18
Couplea two fifty seven Roberts, and a 44.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That's purdy!
Originally Posted by Whitebird

[Linked Image]

That one always gets me! What a beauty

This is my pretty rifle

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nothing special but I love it.
Posted By: prm Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/03/18
Yes it is!
I'd probably snag one of those Super Grades and call it good, the Featherweight mentioned earlier would also be a great option.

I know I'll probably get flamed for this but, at least check out the(now discontinued) Savage American Classic, some of them had VERY nice wood. Mossberg is also making the Patriot Revere with nice bluing and very nice checkered walnut stocks.
This Kimber SuperAmerica in the classifieds would have me stretching the budget a little.

[Linked Image]

I could hunt with a 325WSM

Posted By: bt8897 Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/03/18

Some of the Kimber Classic Selects had some nice French Walnut. I paid $1300 or 1400 for this one if I remember correctly. I added the red pad

[Linked Image]
Love these threads. You gentlemen have some very nice "hunting" rifles!
Sitting here drooling.

-Jake
Posted By: Ky221 Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/03/18
There are some really nice looking rigs in this thread. You said you wanted classic and you liked 700s... shopping around for a model 700 Classic might not be a bad way to roll? Won’t be as pretty as some of the guns listed here but they aren’t hard to look at IMO....[Linked Image]
I really like the look of a nice featherweight, one with a nice stick of wood in 7WSM is in my future somewhere.
Posted By: K22 Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/03/18
I built this one to hunt with. Dings, scratches, ect. are fixable. Rain or snow should not be an issue with a "perty" stock if it was done correctly. Not sure how well factory custom stocks are done, but aftermarket such as ours would be just fine. If the OP already has a barreled action then a call to Wes at Accurate Innovations may be worth the time. Many prices to choose from.
And since prm mentioned this one ..................... wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have to suggest it. How about a fine looking Husqvarna? Maybe a Husqvarna made for Smith & Wesson? Perhaps a Mannlicher stocked one??? Just saying!
Posted By: valad Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/03/18
You all got me thinking on a M70 for my son. I know he likes those Stainless rifles and so do I but my M700 works too. I generally go for M700's but this one is for my son to try out, a M70 that is.
I am not all that familiar with M70 rifles, the Bacos and the SC, and older version rifles. I kinda like the older version rifles and I figure since this is for my son might as well get him a blued rifle lol.
So I am following this thread closely. What is preferable? Baco in SC or Portuguese?
Cabelas has their 308 rifle used and I think its about $1000 but how do I tell if its made in the SC or Portuguese plant?
And I really wanted a 257 rifle because I do not have that on hand so for brass it is easier lol. But a 30-06 will work for us but may be a little too powerful for the shooting/hunting we do.
Thanks for all chiming in...following closely.
Had a pretty deer rifle - not as pretty as some shown in this thread, but very nice nevertheless. Ruger #1 with good wood, nickel or chrome plated (not sure which). IT was a .280 Rem that shot 140's into tiny groups.

Sold it because it was too pretty. Bought a more (for my needs) practical rifle instead - a Ruger Hawkeye synthetic/stainless, also in .280 Rem. No regrets.

The rifles that have the most value to me have the most history. Granddad's Remington Model 24 .22 short that Granddad used for small game, Grandma used to head-shoot the chickens and I grew up shooting as a kid. Dad's Browning B92 lever carbine in .44 Mag. My first centerfire, a blue/walnut Ruger M77 in 7mm RM, and my Ruger M77 .257 Roberts that quickly became - and has remained - my favorite. Both have taken a lot of big game, the 7mm RM since 1982 and the Roberts since 2004. Both are still among my most accurate rifles.

When it comes to giving some away, I think my daughters and (I hope) grandkids will think like I do and value history and practicality rather than frills. Pretty is nice to look at (and I do enjoy looking).
I have two Kimber Classic Selects .One a 84L in 06 and the other a 257 Roberts. Both pretty shooters that have been hunted. Wanted a midweight hunting rifle and bought a Kimber Longmaster in 308 win. Had Dresden Gunworks rebarrel it to 6.5 CM and replicate the factory barrel. A pretty hammer it is.
Posted By: tmitch Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/03/18
I think my .25-35 is kinda purdy

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by bt8897

Some of the Kimber Classic Selects had some nice French Walnut. I paid $1300 or 1400 for this one if I remember correctly. I added the red pad

[Linked Image]

Imagine having to select just a single piece of wood from that tree...must have broken someones heart.
Posted By: Orion6 Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/03/18
Thanks everyone. Lots of drool-worthy pics here!

I think I’m going with a Model 70 of some flavor.
win 70 super grade, Kimber classic select, Weatherby
Posted By: EdM Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/04/18
Looking at this thread I wonder whatever happened to his $1000 price cap?
That's what I was wondering. It's funny how quick guys are to stretch other guys budgets.
This is no time to get frugal with his money.
Originally Posted by EdM

That went out the window when he said "pretty".
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by EdM

That went out the window when he said "pretty".

laugh laugh laugh
Life's too short to hunt with an ugly rifle....and I ain't doin' it. Give me all the blued, case hardening, engraving and fancy metal work I can afford. DO NOT carve my stock but make it a nice piece of any kind of walnut with a fine, hand rubbed oil finish in the pattern of a pre-WWI German stock with side panels. Don't be slathering on any shiny plastic crap. Checkering should be hand cut, 24-28 LPI and have a nice pattern. Don't make it a Monte Carlo stock with white spacers either and if it absolutely must have a recoil pad a Silvers or leather wrapped is all that's acceptable. Frankly, a nice checkered steel butt plate is fine for me until one gets to really big bores. I'll hunt with a rifle like that in any weather, anywhere in the world. Well, I guess I have.

For me there's 3 actions to be considered; Mauser 98, Model 70 or the split bridge Mannlicher/Schoenauer. The latter is a personal favorite even with the so called difficulties of mounting a scope. Since I don't use a scope that isn't an issue for me. The M/S probably isn't acceptable to most.
Originally Posted by sharps4590
Life's too short to hunt with an ugly rifle....and I ain't doin' it. Give me all the blued, case hardening, engraving and fancy metal work I can afford. DO NOT carve my stock but make it a nice piece of any kind of walnut with a fine, hand rubbed oil finish in the pattern of a pre-WWI German stock with side panels. Don't be slathering on any shiny plastic crap. Checkering should be hand cut, 24-28 LPI and have a nice pattern. Don't make it a Monte Carlo stock with white spacers either and if it absolutely must have a recoil pad a Silvers or leather wrapped is all that's acceptable. Frankly, a nice checkered steel butt plate is fine for me until one gets to really big bores. I'll hunt with a rifle like that in any weather, anywhere in the world. Well, I guess I have.

For me there's 3 actions to be considered; Mauser 98, Model 70 or the split bridge Mannlicher/Schoenauer. The latter is a personal favorite even with the so called difficulties of mounting a scope. Since I don't use a scope that isn't an issue for me. The M/S probably isn't acceptable to most.

Fellow please, this is a family orientated site and if you insist on posting erotic content we will have to ban you.
Originally Posted by buttstock
I’m looking to get a “pretty” (aka old school Walnut and blued) hunting rifle ............ I wish I could have snagged a SC made Winchester, but the fact that it’s imported really doesn’t bother me too much, as long as the quality is there. I like everything from the Featherweights, Sporters, and Super Grades........ I’d like to keep it around $1000, give or take.

You still can snag a SC Win Model 70.

I have a Winchester model 70 Feathetweight in 30-06 I was getting ready to sell. It IS indeed a snaggable a FN / South Carolina made and assembled BACO vintage ( not assembled in Portugal) rifle. Original BACO trigger. Blued steel. Nice walnut stock with a little figure, cut checkering, and factory Decelerator recoil pad, 2-piece Leupold blued steel bases with windage-style rear base ( Redfield style, not dual dovetail). I bought it used, and have never fired it. Bore is bright and shiney. No modifications. Blue is great (95-97++ % or higher ?). Very smooth action. Nice rifle.

$640, including shipping/insurance to a lower 48 FFL. FFL must be able to receive from private party ( if not, then add $25 to originate from my FFL). Drop me a PM if interested. Can send pics.

Too late. Sold my Winchester model 70 30-06 FWT last night locally to a very happy buyer.

I still recommend a BACO-vintage Winchester model 70 ( ~2007-2012 made and assembled in the USA at FN’s South Carolina plant). Made to the highest manufacturing specs ( The SC. FN plant is ISO 9001 certified.)

Good luck.
Gotta as.

Are you intimately familiar with ISO?
As an ISO person?
Management or ISO administrator in a facility?

Or,

As a blue color production worker?

Recently had an ISO thread on the campfire, there weren't many who
believed that certification ensured quality.

A lot of managerial stroking, a lot of $ for paper.

Quality comes from top down good people.
Not a slogan on a company banner.

No doubt you are right about the quality of those rifles.

But that exist because management did their many jobs right.
As did the workers.
When I get audited, it's about paperwork, and if I know the company motto (seriously).
They never have any idea if I know what I'm doing.
Twenty minutes in most factories, and I could pass their audit.
Even if I didn't know what they did!
Hey, Whitebird. That looks a lot like a desert muley from the Ironwood Desert..... I was about to guess it came from Palo Verde, Ca., but the tag doesn't look like a Kalifornia, D-12 tag. So, Arizona, Mexico ? Very nice buck and rifle. E (that stands for Eremicus as in O.h. Eremicus, the latin name for the Burro Deer of the Ironwood Deserts)

I have a few, but finding them for around $1,000.00 makes it a hunting proposition to find one. I still think that a person can find a nicer rifle, for the money, than you would think, but you have to get out there and look. Here are just 3 rifles I got for less than $1,000.00 apiece, but you won't find them in a gun shop...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Oheremicus,

The deer was taken in Sonora, Mexico.
The most important characteristic I demand of my rifles is accuracy. If they can't deliver the bullet to the intended POI with high reliability they are sent down the road. Rifles that can do that are beautiful, no matter how homely or plain.

The hand-me-down Savage 110E in .22-250 is a good example. Dad gave it to me with about 2,000 pieces of brass. "Walnut finish" wood stock (ash?), blued barrel. Kept the 1,600 or so Federal pieces and gave away the rest. Worked up a load and it would deliver 5 into a group you could cover with a dime. Daughter #2 was kind when she called it "homely". After a couple K rounds in my hands it started shooting patterns. Cleaning would help for a few rounds but then it was back to patterns. So long to the Savage.

The Ruger American .30-06 Dad gave me is another example. Didn't mind the looks so much as the fact that no factory ammo I tried shot worth a damn. After Dad died it went down the road and the funds received for it helped on another purchase.

Not sure how many synthetic stocked rifles are in the safe but they are numerous and the number keeps growing. Kept missing the 4" steel at 600 a couple weeks ago with my .338WM Ruger boat-paddle/stainless semi-custom, but the misses weren't by much and were due to wind drift in variable/gusty conditions, elevation was right on. Nailed it on the 5th shot. Last time I tried something like that it took 3 shots to hit a clay pigeon at 600, and the first was a ranging shot as I'd never fired it at 600 before. Immediately after that shot I used my boat-paddle .30-06 to hit a clay pigeon as 600 as well. Took two shots to connect.

Beautiful rifles are nice to look at, but if they can't shoot they are museum pieces or safe queens in my book. My safes don't have room for either.

As I mentioned before, though, I do enjoy looking. Keep those pictures coming - especially of ones that shoot great.
Had that monsoon of an opener last yr, took this rifle.
Never again.
Pic is from the yr before.
Even w bland wood, I think it pretty. A little too pretty for downpours.

So I sold it.

But replaced it with a 760 ADL .35 rem.
Decent shape but not mint so less OCD about bad weather.

The #1 was in .243 win and I have a 700 synth in that too, so didn't need a "spare".
Did see a nice 7x57 #1 A on GB.

Was going to rebarrel the RSI to a 1A config in .35 rem. Said screw it.
Just bought the 760.

Will get another #1 in something different

[Linked Image]
ISO certification is merely political.

To pass one needs to say what they do, and do what they say.

Nothing more.

Design, tolerances, processes............are not defined by ISO.

Its a great scam.

Wish I'd thought of it.
Posted By: Orion6 Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/04/18
You guys are great, that’s why I registered and posted the question here.

I can’t (in good conscience) go much more than $1000-$1200. Those in that range are plenty pretty enough for me.

I just like polished blue and walnut. Doesn’t have to be museum grade, just a good example of a rifle made with care.

The Model 70 series seems like a solid starting point.
You guys are great, that’s why I registered and posted the question here.

I can’t (in good conscience) go much more than $1000-$1200. Those in that range are plenty pretty enough for me.

I just like polished blue and walnut. Doesn’t have to be museum grade, just a good example of a rifle made with care.

The Model 70 series seems like a solid starting point.

I think you are good to go. A few of my rifles that had nice stocks and possibly some collector value I bought with wood and then got a syn stock to beat. The original stocks are still in the safe. Others that have nice wood I hunt with and enjoy refinishing them when they get too beat up.
BTW where is Geedubya? He has some awesome looking rifles that he hunts.
Posted By: horse1 Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/04/18
That CDNN linked High-Grade Fwt would be a front-runner for me. I's also do some calling around and see if one could maybe pick up one of the Winchester M70 JOC tribute rifles for close to your budget. Looks like a Nosler 48 Heritage can be had for ~$1200ish brand new as well.
Won't try to post a photo. But my '86 Winchester in 33 WCF is purdy………..rough. Original stock weathered, new barrel and all blued right over some screwdriver pry marks at the loading gate. WHAT? Yup. Right over the damage of a non mechanic ham fisted goof with a tool in his hand. The tang was not straightened. I bought it thinking it is so non original I can feel OK about sending it to Nonneman or another artist in leverguns.
Posted By: K22 Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/04/18
If $1000 to 1200 is max then a nice used Kimber Classic or Classic Select would be a great choice.

A Classic Select.....

[Linked Image]

And a Classic............................

[Linked Image]

The Classic was new, the Classic Select was used. Both under $1000.
Posted By: Orion6 Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/05/18
Originally Posted by K22
If $1000 to 1200 is max then a nice used Kimber Classic or Classic Select would be a great choice.

A Classic Select.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now that’s a sexy rifle (top one especially to me). And a very good representative image of what I’m looking for.
Posted By: K22 Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/05/18
Originally Posted by K22

A Classic Select.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now that’s a sexy rifle (top one especially to me). And a very good representative image of what I’m looking for.

Thank you. I'm planning on keeping that one. LOL
You should be able to find one of these for under $1000. $875 to $950 used. New would be $1100 - $1250.
Originally Posted by 308ld
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by bt8897

[Linked Image]

Yowza!!!

[Linked Image]
This oughtta fit the bill.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13244426/2
Doesn't take much to be prettier than most modern rifles.
All the rifles above are Beatiful Rifles. This is my Gil Van Horn .308 norma mag.
[Linked Image]
If your daughter, or potentially your granddaughter will be using the rifle, you might want to stay on the light side, both in cartridge choice and rifle weight, certainly no 9-pounders. Anything that requires a learning curve or that's difficult to feed is out, unless she's interested in that stuff.

FWIW, I'd be looking at the new M70 Featherweights, especially if you can find one in the limited edition dark maple or upgraded wood. In used, consider two-lug Sako Foresters and Browning Low Walls in .243. Very nice specimens of both can be found, and workmanship is first-rate. Gonna be more than a grand, more like $1500, but worth it in both cases.

Another nice one that may appeal to a lady is the Hawkeye RSI.
Posted By: Orion6 Re: “Pretty” deer rifles... - 11/05/18
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If your daughter, or potentially your granddaughter will be using the rifle, you might want to stay on the light side, both in cartridge choice and rifle weight, certainly no 9-pounders. Anything that requires a learning curve or that's difficult to feed is out, unless she's interested in that stuff.

FWIW, I'd be looking at the new M70 Featherweights, especially if you can find one in the limited edition dark maple or upgraded wood. In used, consider two-lug Sako Foresters and Browning Low Walls in .243. Very nice specimens of both can be found, and workmanship is first-rate. Gonna be more than a grand, more like $1500, but worth it in both cases.

Another nice one that may appeal to a lady is the Hawkeye RSI.

Yes, any flavor of the 70 is on the table. A Featherweight in .308 or 6.5 if they make it might be a good consideration.
© 24hourcampfire